Lower fares - do they "cheapen" your experience?

Mytime2014

Just read this and it really ticked me off....people who pick particular spots/experiences on a ship feel that the presence of people who pay less cheapens their experience on the cruise. Really? You could pay less and just not get your free laundry, special coffee/snacks all day....how does my presence on that ship - because I followed a budget, didn't demand a particular spot, and priced shopped cheapen your experience.?

OMG reminds me of my ex who didn't want to live on the same road as a mobile home - even if it was 5 miles away out in the country.

Honestly - if most people on a cruise are like these few prima donna, high maintenance people, this will be a first and last for me. Hopefully tho - most people will just be happy to be on a ship headed for Alaska. If not, my balcony will be my respite [which I got a VERY good upgrade price for, did not pay full price!!!]

Do you mean this person has a suite and is looking down on the riffraff in a common balcony? If so, most people on the ship neither know nor care what type of cabin another cruiser has. We have met many wonderful people who had suites and many other wonderful people in inside cabins.

While there is always a jerk in any crowd, I hope you manage to avoid them

Do you mean this person has a suite and is looking down on the riffraff in a common balcony? If so, most people on the ship neither know nor care what type of cabin another cruiser has. We have met many wonderful people who had suites and many other wonderful people in inside cabins.

While there is always a jerk in any crowd, I hope you manage to avoid them

I've been spending too much time on the boards anticipating my cruise on the 5th and it seems like the people who spend the most time on the boards are the critics [in a negative way!] I don't expect to run into many of "them" on my cruise and will do my best to steer clear. I just could not believe that comment.

My observation - the loudest of the complainers are just not happy people - I mean, how can you cruise in the best suite available and find nothing good about anything....

I'm sorry you're paying more than your trip is worth chica!!!

A while back someone posted on the Princess board their observation that on sea days the passengers around the ship reading or playing cards must be too cheap to book a larger cabin with a sitting area so as not to take up space in the public areas of the ship. Why anyone would take the time and energy to form such an opinion--let alone put it in print--is beyond me; they were rightly taken to task for it. So please take this as proof that this attitude is by far the exception rather than the rule.

Edited by fishywood

Just read this and it really ticked me off....people who pick particular spots/experiences on a ship feel that the presence of people who pay less cheapens their experience on the cruise. Really? You could pay less and just not get your free laundry, special coffee/snacks all day....how does my presence on that ship - because I followed a budget, didn't demand a particular spot, and priced shopped cheapen your experience.?

OMG reminds me of my ex who didn't want to live on the same road as a mobile home - even if it was 5 miles away out in the country.

Honestly - if most people on a cruise are like these few prima donna, high maintenance people, this will be a first and last for me. Hopefully tho - most people will just be happy to be on a ship headed for Alaska. If not, my balcony will be my respite [which I got a VERY good upgrade price for, did not pay full price!!!]

On my last cruise, many many MANY of the people onboard got some sort of uber-special, ultra-low price that seemed to be offered to a specific geographic area. (I'd guess that at least 1/3 of the ship was onboard primarily because of the super-low price.) (edit to add, many people were stating right out the exact amount of how little they paid)

I totally did not care who paid what, we were all on the aft deck watching for whales, and cheering each other on in the quest. Probably, actually, one of the most fun groups of people I've cruised with.

Needless to say, I'm now watching EVERY DAY for one of those uber-low-cost specials for myself :D

Edited by CowPrincess

I don't know where you are reading this, but my advice is to stop reading there. In all the years I have been on CC, I have never seen anyone write anything like what you say you read. Sure, there are always a few pompous fools around, but they are fortunately the very small minority, and they are certainly not worth being taken seriously.

Edited by boogs

Wow! In my experience, folks on these boards will say alot of stuff...but on the ship, it's a different story! Ignore most of what you read on here...just go and have a good time..and you will have a blast!

You just read what???

I'll claim the opposite - the presence of people who comment (or worse, who gloat) about the deal they got and/or how little they paid ruin my experience. Why do people insist on talking about the cost of things? I don't care how much or how little you paid. I can't imagine why you think I want to hear about it.

I do not recall anyone discussing costs of their cabins on any cruise - I would be disinclined to enter into any such conversation. People express a lot of opinions on these threads - stupid things like how much they drink or eat on cruises, how best to smuggle liquor, how they hate smokers - or how much they dislike people who dislike second hand smoke, how people dress on "formal" nights, how people who care how other people dress simply want to play "country club".

Fortunately - that sort of tripe is rarely heard on board ship - at least the ships I sail. Perhaps the real idiots get all their real idiocy out of their systems on these threads - if that is the case! then these threads serve a valuable purpose.

You just read what???

I'll claim the opposite - the presence of people who comment (or worse, who gloat) about the deal they got and/or how little they paid ruin my experience. Why do people insist on talking about the cost of things? I don't care how much or how little you paid. I can't imagine why you think I want to hear about it.

I'm sure the forum rules would prevent me from posting a link to the specific thread, but yes, it was said that it diminished the quality of that person's experience because some people book last minute for 400 dollars,

Disclaimer - I paid the full price for my initial booking as offered in February for an obstructed OV and got a decent offer for an upgrade last week. I would not have paid full price for a balcony because it was not in my budget.

If I had a more flexible work schedule and could take time off whenever - I'd wait until last minute and go for those bargains if they exist. Why not pay 1/3 of what someone else paid if its available. Now that I think about it - its not me who has the problem for taking advantage of a bargain if I can get it....

Edited by Mytime2014

Needless to say, I'm now watching EVERY DAY for one of those uber-low-cost specials for myself :D

One reason I would like to be self-employed, so i can take advantage of special deals. I've thought about planning vacation based on off season ships sailing from Galveston and take a chance getting a solo at the last minute.

I do not recall anyone discussing costs of their cabins on any cruise -

>SNIP<

Fortunately - that sort of tripe is rarely heard on board ship - at least the ships I sail. Perhaps the real idiots get all their real idiocy out of their systems on these threads - if that is the case! then these threads serve a valuable purpose.

I assure you I heard it plenty on my last cruise. Matter of fact, it was the first thing the people at our table said at the Welcome Back lunch. Even before they introduced themselves. Other times, it was well into conversations, but it did happen, many times. I never inquired, and never disclosed what I had paid. But plenty of people definitely wanted it known, that they'd scored a great deal.

A couple of years ago we sat down by the pool. There was already a man sitting close by and the very first thing he said after hello was.....what type of cabin are you in??????? He went on to say he "only stays in suites" and he'd been retired since he was in his 30's and he needed a way to spend all his money. All this and we hadn't said anything.

We were caught off guard by the question and immediately knew we didn't want to visit with him, so got up and left.

I have never been asked what type of cabin we were in and we have never asked anyone we've met on board which cabin. We're more interested in whether they've cruised before, maybe where they live (it could be someplace we've visited or are interested in visiting).

If someone starts boasting about being in a suite, I think I would just nod, maybe ask if they like their cabin. But I'm not going to assume anything along the lines of how they afforded it (maybe they got a special or an upgrade, maybe it was an anniversary present to themselves, maybe they got a ton of money -- it's none of our business).

You just read what???

great post,

My mother enjoys things she gets a 'deal' on, whether it's a vacation, groceries, furniture or clothing items.

I really don't see her as 'gloating', she's just happy and shares her experiences with her close friends

I can't imagine that someone would give information out on cost unsolicited

Personally, it wouldn't cheapen my experience; I would just wonder why someone would want to share this info with strangers, and after that thought, forgetaboutit.

There are chartered cruises for all sorts of things. Maybe there ought to be one for people like the one mentioned by Mytime. It could be the "Pompous Ass" cruise. To go on this cruise, every cabin would be at full price. No sales, no specials, no price drops. Then everyone that goes on that cruise could brag and try to outdo each other on how much they spent. Blah, blah, blah. I've never had anyone on a cruise ask me how much our cabin cost, and I've never asked the same of anyone else. It's never entered my mind. Quite honestly, I don't care.

It does not bother me at all if they paid more than I, someone has to subsidize my low fare;). As for your last paragraph I agree with the others, that's not going to be the norm. Yes, there will be those prima donna's onboard but you won't necessarily run into them and if you do it should be relatively easy to avoid them.

Don't ask, Don't tell is the norm on cruise ships. I have never heard anyone discuss cabin or price of cruise.

Sadly, Doris, it's something that happens a lot on cruises we've taken.

No, folk don't generally ask - but that doesn't stop some who got a late bargain from telling everyone about it. Human nature, I guess.

When I was working we were committed to dates. Popular dates. Which meant booking early & paying thro' the nose.

If folk got a better deal later, good for them. But they don't need to rub it in.

Now that we're retired we can go when we choose, we can leave it late.

If we mis-judge & a cruise books-out, no worries - we can choose another.So we get some great bargains.

And when anyone brags about how little they paid, we are always able to tell them that we paid less.

Partly because we booked ultra-late.

Partly because we're experienced.

Partly because we drive a hard bargain.

Partly because we know folk in the cruise lines & can twist their arms for an upgrade.

But mainly because we lie through our teeth. :D

It achieves the objective of killing the subject. :p

JB :)