Laundry Question on Noordam

guitarboy53

Hello,

After doing some research on these boards, am I correct in saying the unlimited laundry package on an upcoming 11 night Mediterranean cruise is 70 USD for the entire cabin?

I am bringing some button down shirts that do not need to be dry cleaned. I've heard after the clothing in laundered, the items are ironed as well--is that true?

The reason I ask is we will spend a few nights in Barcelona before the cruise starts. We'd love to be able to board the ship and give them some clothes to wash and iron. It will also help reduce the number of clothes we have to bring with us.

Your clarification is appreciated! :)

Thank you!

Yes -- European cruises charge more for the unlimited laundry package.

You can call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 to get the price for your cruise.

Yes -- they wash and iron your clothes. You can request whether you want them to be returned either on hangers or folded.

Thanks for your help. I've just chatted with a Holland America agent and they said for the 11 night Med the charge is $77.00. Should I save the chat and bring it with me on board in case they charge something different?

Thanks for your help! :)

Thanks for your help. I've just chatted with a Holland America agent and they said for the 11 night Med the charge is $77.00. Should I save the chat and bring it with me on board in case they charge something different?

Thanks for your help! :)

You can certainly try that.

What would likely happen is that if you pre-pay the $77, through Ship's Services, it will show as a credit on your account. Then you will be charged the $99 for the laundry.

There is another option, which is "by the bag" laundry. Again, this is more expensive (I can't remember how much more) in Europe than the North American itineraries, which is $20. One can fit quite a bit of laundry in the bag. If you only send out laundry a few times during your cruise, this may be more economical. It depends on how often you send laundry out, and how many people are in your cabin producing the laundry.

Whichever your choose, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Like it or not, your shirts will be returned ironed. You get to choose, hanging or folded. Last reported prices in Europe were $9.00 per day.

Don't count on Ships Services to provide accurate information. I called some years ago about laundry, I was quoted prices totally different from those offered on the ship.

Edited by Typhoon1

The by-the-bag price is $30. We were on the Noordam for 22 days April into May. The price sheet I brought back says $99 for 11 days. There would be a discount if you were on for another 11 days.

We were told $150 by ship services before the cruise for the 22 days but $99 plus $79 on board. I argued, they checked, and we were charged $150. (I may be off by 3 or 4 dollars, though.) Anyway, I'd pay ahead of time. It should show that you have paid for the laundry service and not as a credit - hopefully.

That's what we plan to do on our next HAL cruise.

Anyway, I'd pay ahead of time. It should show that you have paid for the laundry service and not as a credit - hopefully. That's what we plan to do on our next HAL cruise.
I don't know how to do that on HAL, other than buying OBC. Please explain. Edited by catl331

If you buy a shore excursion ahead of time, when you go onboard, it shows up as a fully paid shore excursion, not as credit. If you buy indulgences ahead of time, this shows up as paid-for stuff, not as credit. That's what I mean.

All I know is I asked our cruise consultant if I could buy the laundry service ahead of time, she said, yes, just call ship services to do that. Now I have not done that yet, but I see no reason at this point to not believe her. She had already asked ship services the pricing on my behalf, so it wasn't as though she was just talking off the top of her head, though I suppose she might have been.

I don't know how to do that on HAL, other than buying OBC. Please explain.

You can do it by calling Ship Services and paying for it at the time. That's what I did on my Med cruise last year. Of course, I paid $7/day and then was credited with the amount onboard, and charged $9/day.

Never heard of a discount for B2B pax, though. That must be new this year.

If you buy a shore excursion ahead of time, when you go onboard, it shows up as a fully paid shore excursion, not as credit. If you buy indulgences ahead of time, this shows up as paid-for stuff, not as credit. That's what I mean.
We've pre-booked many excursions, specialty restaurants, and other amenities, and never had any of them show on our on-board account in any form. There are simply tickets or vouchers left in the room.

I see no way on the HAL site to pre-pay laundry, and I think when you try you'll find that they'll tell you buy OBC.

Edited by catl331

I don't know how it will turn out, but I was told to do it over the phone with ship services, not online.

Can one not pay ahead of time for the drink package? Or is that too an OBC?

There is no way to pre-book and pre-pay the laundry online, only via Ship Services.

As for the drink package, I'm fairly sure that one can purchase that online. I've seen it, I think, under Indulgences. I can't check that as I don't have any HAL cruises booked right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Just returned from a lovely 11 nights on the Noordam. I wanted to provide an update from my original post.

I chatted with the customer service before leaving and they did quote 77 USD for the entire cruise. When I finally got to my stateroom, I saw the charge was different at 99 USD. I brought this up at the front desk and the person said the price is what it is.

I decided to write a short note to the guest services manager. The next day she left a message stating she would credit the difference and would be following up with HQ to ensure they are giving correct info.

Anyway, I thought I'd must leave a short update.

Wonderful cruise, by the way. The BB King Blues band was absolutely the highlight of the entertainment :)

Hello everyone,

Just returned from a lovely 11 nights on the Noordam. I wanted to provide an update from my original post.

I chatted with the customer service before leaving and they did quote 77 USD for the entire cruise. When I finally got to my stateroom, I saw the charge was different at 99 USD. I brought this up at the front desk and the person said the price is what it is.

I decided to write a short note to the guest services manager. The next day she left a message stating she would credit the difference and would be following up with HQ to ensure they are giving correct info.

Anyway, I thought I'd must leave a short update.

Wonderful cruise, by the way. The BB King Blues band was absolutely the highlight of the entertainment :)

Thanks for the update. Glad you had a great trip,

I called Ships Services and ordered the laundry package, for Europe. Quoted $77 for 11 days. I know it is $9/day in Europe. I had her email the quote and printed it out to take with me. Will see what happens.