Ports of Scandinavia - LIVE from the Voyager 6/28 - 7/27/2014

Any idea how independent disembarkation was handled? Could people just walk off and collect their luggage somewhere?

Not positive but we did see some luggage off to the side that may have been for independent disembarkation. Of course, you can walk off of the ship when you want. As long as your private transportation/taxi can get to the ship, independent passengers should be fine.

We agree with Jackie that they should have handled the 90 continuing passengers in another room, and, preferably, have timed their excursions so they wouldn't be at the gangway at the same time as disembarking passengers. Yes, getting off was a zoo, and one gets tired of the people who can't bother to be in the theater at the required time, so that they hold everyone up. They're as inconsiderate as the front seat hops on excursions, as discussed earlier.

It would be useful if someone would explain the nexus and global entry systems to us. We're not enrolled, and foolishly walked past the wheelchairs we had requested (at Newark airport) due to our bad knees (thinking that we needed to stretch our legs after an 8+ hour flight). Instead, we were on immigration lines that became painful as we waited. We still go to the luggage carousel before our baggage, but only by a minute or two. Are the programs worth it for people who, on average, fly once a year within the US and once a year outside the US?

All in all, though, a great cruise; but Regent needs to fix the "free excursion" program. Overcrowded buses, no ability to get or change excursions once onboard, and no compensation (or ability to book another excursion) if an excursion such as the kayaking in Geiranger. This is not the luxury experience we want with Regent. Jackie, please ask FDR to read this thread, with a focus on the comments regarding shore excursions.

For now, we'll cruise on Regent again, but will probably try Oceania before then.

Here is the Global Entry website http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/about . The cost is only $50 for 5 years (unless it has gone up recently). I definitely think that it is worth it. If you have American Express Platinum, they will reimburse you for the cost. We have Nexus as well (embedded in the same card) and use it to cross back and forth into and out of Canada since we live so near. While Global Entry uses fingerprints, Nexus at Vancouver Airport uses both iris scan (which I prefer) and fingerprints.

I'll write some final thoughts about the cruise this week along the picture(s).

P.S. Rachel, did you disembark at the dock next to the narrow street? My guess is that people who leave early (before the buses show up) probably could hail a cab easily as you did. Once the buses take up every parking spot, it is a mess.

Edited by Travelcat2

I think it's $100 now, very easy, done online. You need to be near one of the Interview centers for you 10 min in person interview.

We made our interview at LAX a couple years ago. We went to the airport an hour earlier, as we flew to Europe right after our interview. Back when we got our Global Entry there were only a few places for that interview and at the time none in Oregon.

So glad we did this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is definitely $100 per person, but worth the weight in gold.

Yes, we disembarked on that narrow little street. You just have to get off early, before the buses. There was a long line of cabs there.

Welcome Home to all of our intrepid travelers!

Sounds like it was a wonderful trip.....a few snafus, but it doesn't sound like anyone suffered as much as the "lost luggage folks" and it seems like Jackie, Dennis and crew handled that problem with grace!

John and I only did the first segment. Our disembarkation couldn't have been easier or gone better. We disembarked in Oslo. Came down, ready to go to the theater, where we were redirected off the ship, turned in cards, down ramp, found bus in a snap, luggage already there, pointed it out, got on bus and away we went.....I'm guessing it might've had something to do with an early flight? Whatever the case, it was totally painless!

Looking forward to some photos and parting comments from the North Capers!!!

Fast Pass (I think that is the name). You give that number to the airline when you make your reservation and it eliminates a whole lot of bag checking. Even when there isn't a Global Entry line, I put my Global Entry card on top of my passport and they let us through without a lot of the going throughs and taking things off. We live an hour from LAX, but made the trip to get it separately even though it was a great distance. I personally thought the form was hard as I have lived so many places and had so many names! LOL.

If someone could correct me...I was sure they said it was only good for two years. I have it in my rollaboard and I am too lazy to get it.

Everyone is right--Amex pays you back. Promptly.

It is so good that when we took Private Charter Jets in Europe they didn't bother stamping our passport at Munich. On private jets you don't go in the terminal but an aide drives you from a private elevator on the skyway...to the private terminal.

Global Entry rocks

Global entry is good for the life of your passport, so whenever you have to get a new passport, you have to get a new global entry. Not sure how this works, but I guess I will figure it out in a few months as George's passport expires next year.

No actually Global Entry is only good for 5 yrs.... Which is a real Pain in the you know what!

It expires on your birthday and gets suspended if your passport expires during the 5 yrs and you then need to update that info online.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

No actually Global Entry is only good for 5 yrs.... Which is a real Pain in the you know what!

Actually it is good for five years from your next birthday. So if you get Global Entry one day after your birthday, it will be good for one day short of six years.

Actually the length of Global Entry has nothing to do with the expiration of your passport. When you get a new passport, simply go to the GOES site where you initially signed up and change the passport number to your new passport number and you are good to go until your Global Entry expires.

Also, Amex Platinum will pay for renewals. The price of Global Entry has always been $100 per person.

as he has to get a new passport in February. I guess I just fill the form out on line? No money?:

Correct, no money and really no form to fill out. Need to go the GOES website where he originally applied and login with name and password and then simply go to the block with the old passport number, change it to the new number and save.

Assuming you have the correct login for him, less than a minute on line and you are done. They system now applies the Global Entry to the new passport when you use the kiosk as you enter the country.

If you fill out the form, pretty sure you are making a new application and have to pay, go in to verify the application and everything he did originally so don't start a new application.

Also, Amex Platinum will pay for renewals. The price of Global Entry has always been $100 per person.

Actually, it has not always been $100/person. We have been part of the Trusted Traveler Program for about 9 years. The first time - when we had the background check, etc. for the Nexus Pass, we paid $50/person. Prior to that pass expiring, Global Entry and fingerprints were added at no additional cost. When we renewed, it was $50/person. Our card is both Nexus and Global Entry and we can use either fingerprints or iris scan.

We come up for renewal next year and it sounds like things have been made easier if you can enter your new passport number online - seems less secure. Whenever we have had a change, we have had to visit the U.S./Canadian Border Patrol office. This could be for the Nexus portion of the card as I had to go there a year ago for my new passport. Just as a bit of trivia regarding this program, up to three years ago, we had to visit the office in person if we bought a new car and could not drive any car other than the one registered to the specific card.

Hope this information helps those of you that are looking for easy access to and from Canada by vehicle. Very disappointed to hear that you can get a Global Entry pass renewal so easily.

We probably need a new thread for this subject but I will asked here anyway. The Nexus renewal is $50 which includes Global Entry privileges for Canadian Residents. So I'm a bit confused by the separate $100 fee for Global Entry. Is that for US residents only and in addition to the Nexus fee?

Using Nexus, I can enter Canada from abroad at a Nexus kiosk that scan my iris. I thought my Canadian Nexus also allows me to enter the US from a country other than Canada using the Global Entry benefits associated with my Nexus. Can someone please clarify.

Here is some wording I found on the US Border site:

All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the automated kiosks for entry at participating airports. NEXUS members will need to check their status in their Global Online Enrollment System account, as they may need to submit their 10-fingerprints or any other necessary documentation in order to receive Global Entry benefits. (GOES)

U.S. citizen and lawful permanent resident SENTRI members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the automated kiosks for entry at participating airports. (Global Entry Basic Kiosk Instructions) SENTRI members will need to check their status in their Global Online Enrollment System GOES account, as they may need to submit their 10-fingerprints or any other necessary documentation in order to receive Global Entry benefits. (GOES)

Sunprince: You are and I were posting at the same time. What you described for "our" Nexus and Global Entry passes is the same whether you live in the U.S. or Canada. Actually, you described it better than I did. What posters seem to be describing is for the Global Entry only card. Interesting that it is more expensive than having the double benefit that we have.

Sunprince: You are and I were posting at the same time. What you described for "our" Nexus and Global Entry passes is the same whether you live in the U.S. or Canada. Actually, you described it better than I did. What posters seem to be describing is for the Global Entry only card. Interesting that it is more expensive than having the double benefit that we have.

Yes, I guess we were both thinking the same thing at the same time. Seems odd to pay $100 for Global Entry when you can get it for "free" as part of Nexus. Anyway...its a great system that I use often. Also great for fast tracking though airport security using the "nexus only" line!

It appears that the Nexus enrollment centers are few in number and are only located near the US - Canadian border. Nexus is a great deal for people living near the border but, for most US citizens, it would cost far more than $50 to travel to and from an enrollment center.

Thanks for the information on Global Entry. I suggest that the next person posting on this subject start a new thread, since the subject is of interest to many people who have no interest in this thread.

Joan and I will try to sign up once I have renewed my passport. Our next scheduled flight is next May.

Thoughts of our 2 segment cruise:

When we booked this cruise we immediately deviated our air so that we could fly British Airways out of Vancouver - through Heathrow. Although there was the computer error at Heathrow that caused thousands of pieces of luggage to be stuck there for days, we would have booked the same flights if we had done it on our own. As I posted earlier, Regent helped us every step of the way during the time we were without luggage - they were amazing! I know that Regent does assist passengers that booked air independently but takes care of the passengers that booked air through Regent first. This is another reason that I book air through Regent. Even though they had no responsibility whatsoever for the lost luggage, they really went to bat for us. They went to the airports where our luggage was suppose to be and went through a room full of luggage looking for their passenger's missing luggage. When they did not arrive as scheduled (British Airways schedule), they had to repeat this procedure at the next port. This went on until the last passenger received their luggage on the last day.

It has been our experience that the General Manager of the ship tends to set the tone for the cruise. You may not meet him but every crew member on the ship ultimately reports to him (except the Captain of course). Most of the officers on this cruise have been with Regent for a long time (some of them have switched over to Oceania and returned to Regent). The G.M. on this cruise (Andreas) has worked for years on Oceania and only has a few cruises on Regent. In spite of his short time with Regent it seemed like he had worked there for years. He and the Executive Concierge, Odul, worked tirelessly during the segment on the luggage issue. Here I am again with the luggage -- can't seem to let it go:-) My point of this paragraph was really to say that, under Andreas' management, the entire crew worked efficiently and with a smile. As I often say, a happy crew means happy passengers and we were!

The food in general was outstanding. The one consistent "miss" was the risotto in Sette Mari. I suggested on the comment card that the people who prepare risotto in Setti Mari should spend time in the Compass Rose kitchen as they seem to get it right every time. We found both Prime 7 and Signatures to be better than on some prior cruises. The service in all restaurants was excellent - even La Veranda which has had problems in the past. We dine early and it seemed that most passengers on this itinerary dined quite late (possibly due to the 24/7 sunlight during much of the cruise), so my experience with service is based on dining at 6:30 p.m. or 7:00 p.m.

The biggest change I saw relating to restaurants was the flexibility of La Veranda to stay open to accommodate early excursions, late excursions, etc. This was a really welcome change.

Service in the Observation Lounge deserves special mention as it was slammed with people every night due to the incredible views and having daylight all of the time. There were times when two bartenders were working plus the waiters and two managers. Regardless of their position, if a table needed to be cleaned or service was needed of any kind, the managers jumped in and did whatever was necessary to get the job done. Have to mention master mixologist (my title for him), Jan, waiter Dony and managers Ari and Stanislav.

I have given a lot of thought to the excursions. It is easier to just complain as than to look at the situation and see what was done to the best of their ability and what could be done better. The completely full buses was difficult to contend with. When someone posted on this thread the fact that we were in smaller ports and they may not enough buses to accommodate Regent's passengers, I calmed down a bit. Some of the excursions were quite nice despite the crowded conditions on the buses.

Holding front seats for disabled passengers was a real issue on this cruise as was the mob of people stepping on each other to get bus tickets when the number was called. In the past, people got in line for their bus tickets (in a very orderly fashion) and waiting for their bus number to be called. There were some people that went outside to find the bus and sit in the front seats. This may be one reason why now, the minute the bus numbers are called, you can pick up your ticket and go directly to the bus. This is also the reason for the difficulty in getting your ticket. Some people patiently wait in the front seats for the tour to be called. When it is, the people from the side crowd in to get in line in front of those that were waiting.

I suppose that putting up something to prevent entering from the side could work but it seems that going back to the old way, with a few changes, is better. Perhaps the doors to the buses should not be opened before the bus number is called. Or, the front 2-3 rows can be monitored somehow so that the able bodied people that just ran to the bus do not sit there. After all, most of the time the less mobile passengers get to the bus last.

While I will always hope that an opt out policy will be put into place for excursions, it probably will not happen any time soon. Passengers will continue to book every possible excursion -- not show up or cancel their excursion, etc. Except for the fact that there are 700 passengers instead of 2,000, the crowding and attitude of the passengers is anything but luxury.

The ship itself looks beautiful. I've read comments on some threads about Regent ships being "dated", etc. Everyone has different tastes in décor -- we find the décor on Regent is classic and inviting. Someone discussed the cleanliness of the Voyager (I still think that the OP was on the wrong ship). There wasn't a minute that we did not see someone cleaning the ship. Even ceilings were being steam cleaned. The ship is immaculate.

I've babbled on long enough and really should try to get the "crab" picture from my Kindle onto this thread (easier said that done). This was a great cruise -- one of our best. We look forward to boarding the Mariner in October but, for now, need some time at home.

Edited by Travelcat2