Dress Code - dining room

watson61

I'm going on my first Princess cruise next month to Alaska and I'm wondering about the dress code for the MDR on non-formal nights. I read somewhere "no jeans" - is that still the case? And if so, do people wear jeans anyway or would I stand out like a sore thumb?

I may need to pack more business casual-type clothes than I had planned. :)

This is what the website says; you'll notice it only says no "casual" jeans for nights other than formal. Though, I've seen people in regular jeans on formal nights as well. The "rules" are less observed on first and last nights, as some folks may not have received their luggage yet by first dining on the first night, and often people have started packing by last night.

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

I saw many, many more people in jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights in Alaska than on most other cruises we've taken, especially as the ship stays late in a couple of ports and people went right from sightseeing to dinner. Jeans may be in the minority but they are far from rare.

The only jeans I've worn on a cruise in the MDR at dinner were really nice black skinny jeans and paired with a pretty top. Save the regular blue denimy type for daytime wear for those active excursions in Alaska.

You may want to check out the Cruise Answer Place (the FAQs of sorts) on the Princess website. Lots of great info, including the exact guidelines for dining wear.

Jeans are but cotton denim slacks....slacks are fine. Not formal, but casual...so if you want to wear your jeans, that's fine.

True and more women seem to wear denim pants than men on Smart Casual nights. :)

LuLu