Window suites or mini suite Caribbean Princess

Bogof1

I have searched the boards for info on this, most posts are a few years old so am looking for up to date info. We are booked in a mini suite for Baltic cruise in 2015 , but have just noticed the window suites are only marginally more expensive. My main question is about the noise from the stabilisers, is this an issue or not? Quite a few of the old reviews said it was. I must admit I like the idea of suite life, especially Sabatinis for breakfast, but then would miss the balcony! Oh dear decisions decisions :) Any insight gratefully received!

Edited by Bogof1

We had a couple give a a peek at the window suite it is roomie and the windows are big but it did hit us no fresh sea air and windows never open. We love a balcony and maybe a mini suite would be an idea. We love the ones that are covered on the Emerald deck on the CB.

Regarding your question on noise, I was in F307 (right in the middle of the window suites) on Caribbean Princess and had no noise issues.

Absolutely loved the window suite. The location is fabulous, too.

I would give your right arm to be in a window suite!

Balconies are great but suite amenities are also great. If the price is close and you can live without the balcony I say to take the WS and don't look back.

I have searched the boards for info on this, most posts are a few years old so am looking for up to date info. We are booked in a mini suite for Baltic cruise in 2015 , but have just noticed the window suites are only marginally more expensive. My main question is about the noise from the stabilisers, is this an issue or not? Quite a few of the old reviews said it was. I must admit I like the idea of suite life, especially Sabatinis for breakfast, but then would miss the balcony! Oh dear decisions decisions :) Any insight gratefully received!

Old or not, nothing much has changed so the reviews will still be fairly accurate.Some still have issues with noise and some don't. ;)

We've done the Baltic Cruise, and done a month in a window suite, but on the Grand so I cannot address the noise issue that seems to be unique to the CB. The Baltic is so port intensive and if you plan to really spend time in the ports on tours, you may not get to really enjoy Sabatini's. Our experience was we were up and out very early on nearly every port day. On the other hand being able to order a full breakfast en suite could be a great perk.

We were also pretty tired after full days of touring - being able to order dinner off the dining room menu would be nice. But, having a balcony for sailaway was also nice in the Baltic, and also for some for some of the arrivals. A good night's sleep was always important on this cruise.

It is a tough choice to make - personally I would do a mini-suite on the Baltic because it is so port intensive..and enjoy a suite on a cruise with a lot of sea days. That is just my opinion in this instance, and what I consider to be important might differ from your priorities.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful trip. The ports are fabulous!

Regarding your question on noise, I was in F307 (right in the middle of the window suites) on Caribbean Princess and had no noise issues.

We were in F309 last August on a British Isles cruise - we loved the window suite for a cool weather cruise (our other cruises have been in either a mini or full suite) and the price (we got it for only a few dollars more than a mini) couldn't be beat. We did have one night (out of 12) of horrible stabilizer noises. I didn't know what it was but it sounded like the ship wanted to break in two. Even having experienced that we would reserve a window suite on a similar cruise but would remember to bring ear plugs :D.

We will be in F307 in the fall. We, too, like a balcony for fresh air but we both now have skin cancer and feel it is safer to stay away from sun when possible. Window suites seem much larger than minis for a small price difference. Sabatini's is a great suite perk.

Our favorite has always been the mini until we had a WS on Grand to Alaska. Loved that room, the location, breakfast at Sabatini's - everything. We loved it so much we booked the same for our Hawaii cruise next year. So comfortable.

My main question is about the noise from the stabilisers, is this an issue or not? Quite a few of the old reviews said it was.!

The people who wrote the reviews probably do not have a clue where the stabilisers are let alone what they sound like. Do not believe a word of what you read about noise complaints on ships. Most people miss-diagnose the noise.

For the record the stabilisers are no where near any window suite.

Whatever the cause of the noise, it is a valid complaint, one which had us ready to leave the ship at the first port a number of years ago. It taught me to never book Plaza deck. Didn't matter what the source was, the frequency gave me an untreatable migraine, so I take noise issues seriously. We were fortunate to be able to relocate when it was confirmed that people who had missed the ship (due to weather) would not be joining at the first port, and their stateroom was available.

I took the issue seriously enough to pay attention to those who said there is a noise issue with the Window Suites on the CB, and change our booking to an aft suite for our upcoming CB cruise.

Edited by ggprincess2004

The people who wrote the reviews probably do not have a clue where the stabilisers are let alone what they sound like. Do not believe a word of what you read about noise complaints on ships. Most people miss-diagnose the noise.

For the record the stabilisers are no where near any window suite.

What was the noise - are you saying we're making this up? I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about stabilizers (but have read that the often reported noise was due to them) so where are the stabilizers on the Caribbean Princess?

It was a truly loud creaking that we have never, ever heard on other cruises when we always have aft cabins. It kept my husband awake until almost 4 am; I feel asleep an hour or two earlier. On our cruise it was only one night -- when we were traveling from Guernsey to Cobh, Ireland.

I don't think reports are cases of mass hysteria - enough people have reported it that we all aren't imagining it :p.

Thank you all for comments, would love the suite b....u.....t.... Head still thinking mini suite we do need Fresh air and it's lovely to sit on the balcony and watch the world go by. Maybe when we take grandson on a cruises with a ship based in UK with window suites we will do it then. Sigh...... :)

What was the noise - are you saying we're making this up? I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about stabilizers (but have read that the often reported noise was due to them) so where are the stabilizers on the Caribbean Princess?

It was a truly loud creaking that we have never, ever heard on other cruises when we always have aft cabins. It kept my husband awake until almost 4 am; I feel asleep an hour or two earlier. On our cruise it was only one night -- when we were traveling from Guernsey to Cobh, Ireland.

I don't think reports are cases of mass hysteria - enough people have reported it that we all aren't imagining it :p.

They certainly are imagining they are hearing the stabilisers. It is absurd. Half the time the stabilisers are not even deployed. People who recon they can hear stabilisers would also be able to hear a piece of cotton landing on felt.

Stabilisers are located at the very base of the ship almost on the keel level. There is an indicator on the side of the ship in the precise position they are. Pretty much on all the Princess ships of that type they are in line with the panoramic lifts in the centre of the ship. There are only two sets on either side. Most times only one stabiliser is needed to be deployed.

Mind you people supposedly hearing these stabilisers would have to be able to hear them through several decks of engine space as well as being able to hear them over the engines.

If they are hearing noise it is most likely something else.

While we have not sailed in a window suite on the Caribbean Princess we have on the Grand and took two short videos which you can see here:

We loved the window suite and would always choose it over a mini suite.

We were in a Window Suite on the Golden for two weeks to Hawaii. The seas were often rough and at those times the room made a very loud creaky noise and there was a lot of banging, too. It all depends on what your comfort level is with noise from the ship. For me, the benefits outweighed the noise issue. We really enjoyed the suite benefits and the location can't be beat. We liked it so much we have booked a Window Suite for a cruise next spring. It seems to me that if you haven't sailed in a Window Suite you shouldn't be commenting on whether there is or isn't a noise issue.

They certainly are imagining they are hearing the stabilisers. It is absurd. Half the time the stabilisers are not even deployed. People who recon they can hear stabilisers would also be able to hear a piece of cotton landing on felt.

Stabilisers are located at the very base of the ship almost on the keel level. There is an indicator on the side of the ship in the precise position they are. Pretty much on all the Princess ships of that type they are in line with the panoramic lifts in the centre of the ship. There are only two sets on either side. Most times only one stabiliser is needed to be deployed.

Mind you people supposedly hearing these stabilisers would have to be able to hear them through several decks of engine space as well as being able to hear them over the engines.

If they are hearing noise it is most likely something else.

That would be a negative Ghost Rider. :cool:

We sailed in F307 on the GRAND a couple years back. On about 2 of the 7 nights, We DID hear a rather loud noise. I dont know if it was the stabilizers or not, and I guess it really doesn't matter what it was... But there most definitely was a loud banging. I got out of bed and went upstairs to see if a door out to the promenade was blowing in the wind. Nothing. I called the reception desk and complained. A couple days later a letter with an UNASKED for cabin credit was sent to our room. There also was the noise of joggers running on the promenade deck overhead, even though there were signs asking people NOT to during specific hours. These problems were never enough to keep us from booking another WS. We had one booked for our upcoming Alaska cruise in August, but upgraded.

We sailed in F307 on the GRAND a couple years back. On about 2 of the 7 nights, We DID hear a rather loud noise. I dont know if it was the stabilizers or not, and I guess it really doesn't matter what it was... But there most definitely was a loud banging. I got out of bed and went upstairs to see if a door out to the promenade was blowing in the wind. Nothing. I called the reception desk and complained. A couple days later a letter with an UNASKED for cabin credit was sent to our room. There also was the noise of joggers running on the promenade deck overhead, even though there were signs asking people NOT to during specific hours. These problems were never enough to keep us from booking another WS. We had one booked for our upcoming Alaska cruise in August, but upgraded.

I agree that is doesn't matter really WHAT the source of the noise is. If it is reported independently by a bunch of different people then the noise is really there regardless of the source. I would STILL like to try a WS, though.

I'm sure many people would complain about the vibration we experienced in our aft-facing Caribe balcony in May but it didn't bother us a bit and we would book that cabin again in a heartbeat. We had an Aloha deck balcony where we heard a small amount of noise from chairs being repositioned above us on Lido deck but, again, it didn't bother us at all and we had a wonderful cruise.

If the WS noise is an issue then don't book the room but, if it doesn't "ruin" your cruise then book the room if you like it. The good thing is having so much choice. The even better thing is if you get to cruise at all. So many people will never get to experience cruising. I feel very lucky to be able to cruise in even the limited amount we are able to do.

We sailed in a WS to Alaska and also to NE/Canada. No noises and no one jogging upstairs that we could hear. The seas though were calm on both cruises. We will be on the Grand in Feb in a WS to Hawaii. I hear the seas can be rough so I expect noise. Not looking forward to it but at least I am forewarned.