Carnival destroys our luggage again

golfadj

I figure 10 trips is a wipe out unless you buy the really good stuff. The airlines are just as bad as the cruise ship handlers. Our good stuff us heavy so I tried a light suitcase (cheap $50) from Walmart and the first trip it got torn and they broke one wheel off. I got about 6 more trips using homemade repairs but now it's junk.

We have been going on about 3 cruises a year and on about 1 in 3 our luggage gets severely damaged.

We typically drive to port and do self assist getting off so the only time they can do this is embarkation day.

Just off the Liberty and they destroyed one wheel and pretty much ripped off the rivets on two others. We were lucky to roll it off the ship.

Showed it to guest services and they gave us authorization to fix/repair.

Looked at other luggage today and they pretty much take themselves off the hook for mishandling (not that i blame them).

Our choices are to either take luggage to our cabin ourselves or resign myself to buying luggage once a year.

Anyone else having this problem?

yea.....its getting to the point were i buy luggage every year....seems to be the norm......didnt complain tho..just buy cheaper

luggage

Stu, how was the cruise?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

It was good. First few days was a little difficult as we kept comparing Carival to Princess and Carnival didnt do so good. Didnt help that first two comedians were pretty bad.

Later in the cruise made some new cruising buddies and than last two comedians were much better and Cory the CD had some interesting programs.

First time ever though the service in the DR was pretty bad and even after complaining to the asst MD didnt get much better. Ordered at 6 and first apps came every night about 6 45.

Overall though we had a good time, just love S Caribbean.

Stu,

I don't think the porters work for Carnival??? Also, had a wheel ripped off of new luggage on an RCL cruise at Canaveral. RCL paid for it and called me so many times about the status of my check it was crazy! I think they beat it up big time at Canaveral??? it's not their issue it's the cruise line so let's play how far we can toss it.......kick it, etc.....

Stu,

I don't think the porters work for Carnival??? Also, had a wheel ripped off of new luggage on an RCL cruise at Canaveral. RCL paid for it and called me so many times about the status of my check it was crazy! I think they beat it up big time at Canaveral??? it's not their issue it's the cruise line so let's play how far we can toss it.......kick it, etc.....

Actually the porters will take it to a cage and put it on. Typically their job is done by taking it a few feet. They pretty much dont get to destroy it.

Carnival employees than take the cages and get them onto the ship and to the cabins. Think they are the ones who do the deed.

Think we will take a look at a rolling duffel with skate wheels and if it will meet our needs will see if they can damage that.

I own luggage that does not need to be checked so I avoid this issue completely but hubby bought a larger American Tourister suitcase that doesn't fit through the xray machine and so it gets checked. So far they have not damaged the bag after two cruises. (Keeping my fingers crossed.) Same goes for flying - I use smaller carry-ons so I avoid the while lost/damaged luggage thing.

Personally, I find baggage checking creepy because you are not in sight of your stuff and someone has the opportunity to get into your personal items. Plus the fact that the baggage people on the ship just leave it parked outside your door - not inside your room so other passengers have a chance to open it (happen to a friend of mine). I like to be able to immediately put ALL my stuff away as soon as I get into my cabin.

We are lucky to not have our luggage damaged yet after 6 cruises and 10 international vacations over the past 15 years. We did have our luggage end up in NYC at someone's apartment for stone reason. I don't know how the airline sent the luggage to NYC!

Never had a single issue with luggage, but I have a 4X8" patch sewn on the back of all my luggage. Only once had a bag on the wrong plane, but it got to me that night... However nearly 100% of the time I get the TSA Letter my luggage was searched "randomly"

The patch: air_america_weapon_systems_color.jpg

On a Pride cruise out of Baltimore a couple years ago I was using a new pink (so I can retrieve it quickly) piece of luggage. Everthing was perfect with it until I claimed it after we got off the ship. Both wheels were broken and a tire track was across the whole piece. A tire track for crying out loud !! I drug it to the office and they said they couldn't say for sure who was responsible but gave me a claim form. Really? Only Carnival people handled it. I even had a picture of it outside my cabin door on the last night. A couple years ago I started taking pics of my luggage at every stop. Before and after airline, cruises, hotels etc. I had photo proof and they still denied my claim. From then on its CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP for me.

Edited by Boozebabe

Actually the porters will take it to a cage and put it on. Typically their job is done by taking it a few feet. They pretty much dont get to destroy it.

Carnival employees than take the cages and get them onto the ship and to the cabins. Think they are the ones who do the deed.

Think we will take a look at a rolling duffel with skate wheels and if it will meet our needs will see if they can damage that.

Have you ever looked into an elevator they are using while delivering luggage. Its stacked literally to the ceiling in the elevators. Pity the piece on the bottom.

I've been using the same tiger print (gold & black) luggage for over 15 years and no problems at all. That's 15 cruises, tons of land (via air) vacations, and nada. Don't know why but it's just keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny!:D I'm not sure (it's been so long) who the set is by but I do know that I got all my pieces (except one) from TJ Maxx. My girlfriend gave me the other piece about 4 years ago so I now have 5 pieces. I use all the pieces (not all one one trip) but nary a problem. I hope I haven't jinxed myself as we are using it again in three weeks on our Mexican cruise.:eek::D

The wheels on my suitcase weren't broken off, but the outer, rubber parts were all broken and basically fell right off, in pieces, when I wheeled my suitcase into the cabin after it was delivered. This didn't happen at the airport. I thought that happened because it was getting older but is heavy duty and still in excellent shape otherwise. Luckily I was still able to wheel it out doing self disembark and through the airports on the way home. After seeing this thread, I'm beginning to think it's not age of the suitcase (about 10 years old and only used once a year, if that) since this seems to be common and that maybe I should have gone to guest services. Lesson learned.

I have not had my luggage ruined on a cruise (yet). I used to use soft sided luggage and it seemed like every time I traveled I would get one back with something ripped or broken. We bit the bullet 2 years ago and bought some not-so-cheap hard sided luggage and I would never go back to soft luggage. I LOVE my new luggage and I have not had even one minor issue yet. It's been on 3 cruises, as well as land vacations to Vegas, NYC and San Fransisco. It was money well spent! Hopefully it will continue to make it through baggage handlers in one piece!

I have had problems with airlines being rough on luggage, but not the cruise lines. I have a Tumi Carry-on w/ suited thats my go everywhere bag, two Nautica 29" in bags, and two 30" rolling duffels that I got from WalMart. The bags from WalMart are the oldest, cheapest, and has held up the best.

I have a rolling duffel bag. Wheels don't stick out a lot. Handle pops out the top. I can even wear it as a backpack if need be. Knock on wood, nothing happened to it at all on our last cruise and nothing hopefully our next cruise.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

We have been going on about 3 cruises a year and on about 1 in 3 our luggage gets severely damaged.

We typically drive to port and do self assist getting off so the only time they can do this is embarkation day.

Just off the Liberty and they destroyed one wheel and pretty much ripped off the rivets on two others. We were lucky to roll it off the ship.

Showed it to guest services and they gave us authorization to fix/repair.

Looked at other luggage today and they pretty much take themselves off the hook for mishandling (not that i blame them).

Our choices are to either take luggage to our cabin ourselves or resign myself to buying luggage once a year.

Anyone else having this problem?

I have not had that problem. I have been cruising on Carnival about 3 times a year. I usually check 1 bag at embarkation and then do self priority debarkation.

My philosophy with luggage is to buy good enough quality that it will hold up, but not top of the line where it would stand out and be more susceptible to theft.

I have had good luck with Samsonite and Ricardo brands. The only problem I have with them is the zipper pulls come off, but that doesn't affect use or integrity of the zipper.

I'm an airline employee. I travel a lot. Talk about going through luggage I have learned expensive does not necessarily mean quality. I have had cheap, expensive, good, bad and ugly. 12 cruises never had a piece ruined on a cruise. Airlines on the other hand...lol

Now the best luggage to date I have found with the best warranty and price is ebags....their brand. We own 6 hardsides now.

Yeah, I had a piece this year (leisure 360 from belks that was pricy) that looks beat and the handle doesn't extend all the way up when we got off the Sunshine. I don't have an option but check it going on the ship. Just got some new American tourister to try.

So either I take something that doesn't roll well like my old stuff that I don't care if it gets broken or I take something that rolls well but is a crap shoot if it is useable after debarkation.

I am cruising 2 to 3 times a year so I am thinking about looking into that luggage with the huge wheels - if this new stuff doesn't do well.

I agree with prev poster - keep an eye on weight. When my bags are 40#'s - that's usually when my stuff is damaged.

I had the same issue with my handle after my luggage arrived at my cabin. After the handicapping of my suitcase, I went to Ross and TJ Maxx and purchased a hard shell suitcase for $29 bucks and it has lasted through numerous airport trips and cruises. I don't use the Carnival anymore I just roll the bag myself. Lesson learned!!! If I want it to last, Do It Myself. (LOL) "Happy Cruising":D

Our first cruise in NYC my 2 back wheels got "jammed" from them. sucked too as they were fairly new and the 360 wheels which I love. with trying to wheel (drag) to the train, half the wheels were shorn off.. lol. thankfully, the next 2 cruises they were fine in Miami and San Juan

I once watched a dirty, beat-up bag go round and round on the carousel at the airport in Las Vegas only to discover it was my brand new suitcase. It happens every time I leave my suitcase in someone else's hands. I now buy inexpensive luggage.

Beat me to it.

I buy roll behinds just for this reason. My current ones (American Tourister I think) were Office Depot closeouts, bought for cheap (but not fancy in the first place), and have lasted at least 7 years now (which includes about 14 cruises, and maybe 7-10 flights). The big bags are generally loaded to the full 50 pounds, so they are taking a decent beating when moved from place to place.

Bought some carryons earlier this year to avoid checking bags for a fall Disney trip and stayed with the same style.

This is why I chose not to get a "spinner" bag - the wheel assemblies are completely exposed. Luggage gets put into huge rolling cages with openings just the right size to snag a wheel set and snap it right off.

Whenever I see a relatively new-looking piece of luggage put out for trash it's a spinner bag with a wheel snapped off.

New luggage is expensive, but as your retire and replace your older bags consider going back to the wheel "pull behind" bags. Those wheels are partially recessed and not nearly as vulnerable as "spinner" wheels.