Too many sea days?

Hi everyone! This is my first post and I apologize if I'm asking something that's already been asked a million times (probably) but it didn't really come up when I searched, and in the newbie cruisers FAQ section, it basically seemed to say that a mistake that first-time cruisers make is choosing an itinerary with too many ports. I wanted to get your opinion on that, since I'm looking at an Epic itinerary with only three ports on a seven-day cruise.

Short version of my question: do you generally find that three port days on a seven-day cruise are enough? Are three days at sea good for you, or do you find yourself wishing that there was at least one more port?

Long version: I've never been on a cruise before, and in the past, didn't have much interest in going on one. For some reason now, I've become obsessed with the idea of going on a cruise next winter, so I've been doing a lot of research and trying to decide where to go. Right now, I'm looking at going on the Epic in either February or March 2015, a Western Caribbean cruise that visits Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I'd be traveling alone, so I like that I could get a solo cabin on the Epic, plus the price is good, and I have enough points for a free flight to Miami so there's that.

With that said, I keep finding myself drawn to the idea of finding a cruise that visits a different port almost every day. I realize that these ships are like mini-cities, but being on one for three days sounds like too much. Am I being crazy?

I realize that what I'm asking is a matter of opinion, but I'm trying to figure out if this will be a good fit for me. I'm the type of person who generally takes trips to large cities and then gets up every day and explores them on foot. The times that I have taken beach/water-related vacations, I usually spend most of the day in the water, doing something active (snorkeling, surfing, stand up paddle boarding, etc.). Looking at the Epic itinerary, I wonder if I'll be "bored" or feel trapped with three days at sea. I guess I won't really know unless I go, but I'd love to hear opinions.

Thank you!

Hi everyone! This is my first post and I apologize if I'm asking something that's already been asked a million times (probably) but it didn't really come up when I searched, and in the newbie cruisers FAQ section, it basically seemed to say that a mistake that first-time cruisers make is choosing an itinerary with too many ports. I wanted to get your opinion on that, since I'm looking at an Epic itinerary with only three ports on a seven-day cruise.

Short version of my question: do you generally find that three port days on a seven-day cruise are enough? Are three days at sea good for you, or do you find yourself wishing that there was at least one more port?

Long version: I've never been on a cruise before, and in the past, didn't have much interest in going on one. For some reason now, I've become obsessed with the idea of going on a cruise next winter, so I've been doing a lot of research and trying to decide where to go. Right now, I'm looking at going on the Epic in either February or March 2015, a Western Caribbean cruise that visits Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I'd be traveling alone, so I like that I could get a solo cabin on the Epic, plus the price is good, and I have enough points for a free flight to Miami so there's that.

With that said, I keep finding myself drawn to the idea of finding a cruise that visits a different port almost every day. I realize that these ships are like mini-cities, but being on one for three days sounds like too much. Am I being crazy?

I realize that what I'm asking is a matter of opinion, but I'm trying to figure out if this will be a good fit for me. I'm the type of person who generally takes trips to large cities and then gets up every day and explores them on foot. The times that I have taken beach/water-related vacations, I usually spend most of the day in the water, doing something active (snorkeling, surfing, stand up paddle boarding, etc.). Looking at the Epic itinerary, I wonder if I'll be "bored" or feel trapped with three days at sea. I guess I won't really know unless I go, but I'd love to hear opinions.

Thank you!

.....for some people, myself included, we like being on the ship. That doesn't mean I don't want ports. What it means is we like being on the ship and you don't necessarily need a port to enjoy yourself.

Plenty of things to do on the ship, relaxing being one of the biggest ones.

Also, you might need some down time after a busy day in port.

:cool:

wasiii

.....for some people, myself included, we like being on the ship. That doesn't mean I don't want ports. What it means is we like being on the ship and you don't necessarily need a port to enjoy yourself.

Plenty of things to do on the ship, relaxing being one of the biggest ones.

Also, you might need some down time after a busy day in port.

:cool:

wasiii

Agreed! At this point the ship is at least as important as the ports. Sometime even more! ;)

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

OP - I understand your concern. But 3 ports for 7 days is pretty standard.

We did a Southern Caribbean cruise years ago out of San Juan. It was 6 ports in 7 days - which turned out to be way to much.

We felt really rushed and tired as the week progressed. There was really no time to just relax without feeling that we should have been somewhere else. :/

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

I LOVE sea days. Very relaxing. 3 ports is usual, sometimes you may get 4. I really enjoy it when ports are spaced a day between. We did Western Carribbean and had 4 ports. Did not use the balcony much as so port intensive.

We love sea days! Something about the sound of the ship breaking the water, watching flying fish, dolphins, and if you're lucky enough, a whale or 2. We do a lot of laps round the promenade deck (great exercise), and there are so many activities. Plus sunrises/sunsets are the best. You'll become addicted to cruising. Where you cruise to will become less important.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

No, you are not being crazy. Some people cruise for the ship, others for the itinerary and others for a combination of both. The Epic is a wonderful ship with lots of activities and things to do on board. If I were to select an itinerary with 3 sea days, I would be happy to select the Epic.

I would suggest that you learn as much as possible about the ship and its activities to determine whether there is enough offered for you.

you won't find too many ships that visit more than 3 in 7 days, you might find one that hits 4, but no more. We were on a princess cruise a few years ago that was very port intensive, for the first time, we said there were too many ports. We were more tired after the cruise than when we started. Remember there are a lot of things to do on the ship, you just have to exert yourself and find them. The daily bulletin will give you ideas.

Some people cruise more for being on the ship, others like us consider the ship a floating hotel and cruise more for the ports.

We are in our 60s and still prefer ports, but a sea day every once in a while is good.

We do mostly 14 or longer cruises and have done some with 8 straight ports.

For short, 7 day cruises, I would go for the most ports.

I actually asked the same question back in 2010 and like you, ended up in a Studio cabin on the Epic. Turned out it was just the right mixture of ports and taking advantage of all that the Epic offered for entertainment, dining and ~ gasp ~ relaxing ~.

Epic is a great choice for a first time/solo cruiser. Give it a shot and I can almost guarantee you will be looking to book a next cruise. Remember, the ship is also a destination in itself. :D

Do you like:

Vegas style shows

Massages or other spa services

Food related activities - not to be confused with continuous eating (like a Chef's table where you can eat interesting food, drink wine paired with it and meet people)

Gameshow type activities (Deal or no deal, bingo)

Hot tubs/hanging by the pool

Dance parties (Glow party and a bunch more)

Listening to live music

Comedy shows

I ask because some people don't. If you like half or better of the stuff listed above (of course, there is much more, but that's what stands out for me) then I don't think you will be bored on the sea days. Do lots of research so you can sign up for things like Chef's table if you are so inclined.

In short, there's a lot to do onboard, but the question you have to ask yourself is are the things on offer onboard things that you will LIKE to do.

As this is your first time cruising, might I suggest trying a shorter 3-4 day Caribbean Cruise?

A shorter cruise would give you a good taste of what to expect -- without being too long at sea -- in case your body "doesn't take" to the cruise! ;)

One of our favorite quick getaways is cruising from Miami to Key West and Cozumel. There are far worse places to spend a couple days before or after a cruise than Key West or Miami if you want to vacation for a whole week!

Once you get a feel for what to expect from the short cruise, you can go as long and as far away as you desire!

As for # of sea days.... your body may prefer to be able to get off the ship each day -- the best part is You dont have to leave the ship if you dont want to!

Our European cruises have seen 6 ports in 7 days, but we dont run ourselves ragged in every city! A day by the pool whole most folks are off sightseeing to a town we've already been to can really do a body good!

GOOD LUCK...and HAPPY CRUISING!!

:)

I think if you are going to fly from DC to Miami you should do a 7 day cruise, it will give you enough time to learn the ship, the food spots, the entertainment etc while still getting into 3 ports. Our first cruise was 7 days and 3 ports and it was just right for us to learn and enjoy.

It really all depends what you are looking for. For my wife and I the ship is means to an end. Transportation with a cabin and food. The more time in port the better. We like a sea day or two but having 3-4 in a row would drive us crazy

i would not recommend a 3 day cruise. The cost of getting to the port just does not call for that. Also, 3 day cruises attract a vastly different cruiser. I have friends that have taken a 3 day as their first and were not keen on repeating, to some extent by the passengers on the ship.

I love sea days! We booked our transatlantic specifically so we could have 10 consecutive sea days.

A lot of what you are asking depends on the ship. Epic will have a ton of things to do on sea days. When we got off our recent Getaway cruise, which was 3 ports on 7 night cruise, we felt like we didn't have enough time to enjoy all the ship had to offer. Epic would be pretty similar. Now if it was a much smaller ship with less options and activities, I might not feel the same.

Personally, I think for a first cruise this is a good balance. Sometimes port days can sometimes seem very hectic and draining as you prep to get off, monitor schedules, plan excursions, etc. Having some relaxing time at sea can be rejuvenating.

I like a combination of both. But this is all based on preference.

3 days in ports on a 7 day is pretty good. Although if it goes to Nassau and if you have been there many times like I have, Nassau just becomes a sea day! But that is just fine with me, although I usually like to have at least 2 ports I really want to go on a 7day cruise!

I also like caribbean cruises that instead of going to nassau, they go to a private island. I like the idea for not having to pay for a chair and food!

i would not recommend a 3 day cruise. The cost of getting to the port just does not call for that. Also, 3 day cruises attract a vastly different cruiser. I have friends that have taken a 3 day as their first and were not keen on repeating, to some extent by the passengers on the ship.

Absolutely agree.

Thank you!

For your first cruise the Epic 7 day sounds perfect. Enough ports to give you an idea of what cruising is all about and plenty of time to explore the Epic. The days on the ship will have many activities or just explore the ship.

We have done both port intensive and ones where we relax and it just depends on what we are looking for at the time.

Either way, you will have a great vacation.

Lynda

We like our port days, so on a 7-day itinerary we look for one with 4 port days. We like sea days at the beginning and end of the cruise to provide time to get adjusted. Of course, that last sea day is sad because it's our last day. ;)

Do you like:

Vegas style shows

Massages or other spa services

Food related activities - not to be confused with continuous eating (like a Chef's table where you can eat interesting food, drink wine paired with it and meet people)

Gameshow type activities (Deal or no deal, bingo)

Hot tubs/hanging by the pool

Dance parties (Glow party and a bunch more)

Listening to live music

Comedy shows

Unfortunately, it isn't a simple as that. I am not fussed about Vegas style shows, don't use the spa, don't partake in any food related activities other than eating the meals, don't do the gameshows, only go in the pools when dragged there by family, hate dance parties and haven't seen a comedy show that I really enjoyed on a ship. I do like live music though.

Going by that you'd think I would hate sea days. In fact, I absolutely love them. A transatlantic with no stops is a great cruise for me.

It's difficult to tell how someone will get on with sea days until they try them.

you won't find too many ships that visit more than 3 in 7 days, you might find one that hits 4, but no more.

That is probably true for the Caribbean (which the OP is talking about so you aren't wrong with your statement), but I will just point out that more port intensive cruises are common elsewhere. The Epic does 6 ports in 7 days in the Med, and the Spirit Grand Mediterranean has just 2 sea days in a 12 day cruise, for example.