Passport and ID don't match

My mother's passport still has her maiden name on it and her I.D has her married name on it . For some reason she has tried to get her passport with her married name on it and was told she could only get it with her maiden name on it . We cruised with Disney and all she needed to show was her marriage certificate and they let her on the ship . By the time we cruise again , she will have been married for a few years and her passport will probably still have her maiden name on it . If she cruised with her marriage license as proof of identity before , will it still be acceptable even after she has been married for a few years ?

Of course she can get a passport with her married name on it. I don't understand your post. Your marriage license alone is not acceptable ID for anything.

If she's changed her name, she needs to change her passport.

Of course she can get a passport with her married name on it. I don't understand your post. Your marriage license alone is not acceptable ID for anything.

If she's changed her name, she needs to change her passport.

Agree...All she has to do is apply for a new passport (change of name) and supply a certified copy of her marriage license..my DD did this easily at our local city hall where they offer applying for a passport...in addition some post offices do this also in our area.

My mother's passport still has her maiden name on it and her I.D has her married name on it . For some reason she has tried to get her passport with her married name on it and was told she could only get it with her maiden name on it . We cruised with Disney and all she needed to show was her marriage certificate and they let her on the ship . By the time we cruise again , she will have been married for a few years and her passport will probably still have her maiden name on it . If she cruised with her marriage license as proof of identity before , will it still be acceptable even after she has been married for a few years ?

Her passport is her ID - she doesn't need any other ID, so it doesn't matter if her passport doesn't match her drivers license.

She has a few options: She can get a new passport in with her new name. Or, she can book the cruise and flight using her maiden name (IMO: the best option). Or, she can bring a "bridging document" such as a marriage license (call the specific cruiseline to make sure this is OK)

If she books her cruise with her maiden name there isn't an issue. As long as the booking name and passport match, that is all that matters. No other ID is needed.

Exactly, her passport is her id.

I apologize, I should have explained a little better . My mother is a resident so her passport is from her country of citizenship . She married in her country of residency but the marriage is not valid in her country of citizenship , her country of citizenship will only issue her a passport with her maiden name on it . Upon boarding she is asked for her passport and a Visa or in her case proof of residency . Her proof of residency and her passport last names don't match.

I'm sorry, but I'm still not understanding. We've boarded ships in a good number of ports around the world. We've NEVER been asked to provide anything other than a passport (with visas if required), certainly not a proof of residency. I understand that resident, non-US citizens, will need to have their Green Card for r/t US cruises, but that isn't something I'd call 'proof of residency'. To me that term means something like a drivers license.

Your mother may be better off doing what I did, keeping her maiden name.

I apologize, I should have explained a little better . My mother is a resident so her passport is from her country of citizenship . She married in her country of residency but the marriage is not valid in her country of citizenship , her country of citizenship will only issue her a passport with her maiden name on it . Upon boarding she is asked for her passport and a Visa or in her case proof of residency . Her proof of residency and her passport last names don't match.

I assume she has a green card?

I'd book the cruise in her maiden (passport) name, and bring the green card and marriage certificate.

Thank you I think we will do that .

Actually, let me change what I said before. If you're debarking in a US port, I'd book the travel in the name on the green card, since I understand that is the primary document as far as US Customs & Border Patrol is concerned. I'd bring the passport and marriage certificate.

Actually, let me change what I said before. If you're debarking in a US port, I'd book the travel in the name on the green card, since I understand that is the primary document as far as US Customs & Border Patrol is concerned. I'd bring the passport and marriage certificate.

I agree.

Lots of good and well meaning advice posted above (not necessarily one in the same though).

Bottom line - Why take a chance? Look at this as an opportunity (escuse) to get all IDs in the same name. If they all match, there won't be any questions . . .

Bottom line - Why take a chance? Look at this as an opportunity (escuse) to get all IDs in the same name. If they all match, there won't be any questions . . .

Actually sometimes you can't change it - some countries rules require that the woman's passport remain in her maiden name. My mother's cousin married an Italian in the 60s, and they've lived in Italy ever since. Her Italian passport was always reissued in her maiden name. Government rules!!!