Breakaway w/ pics and comments, June, Haven

graphicguy

It's taken awhile to find some time to post, but was on the Breakaway at the beginning of the month to Bermuda. Sailing was my wife (our honeymoon, actually) and me. Being our honeymoon, I sprung for a Spa Haven Suite. Felt we would like having the use of the Spa duing our trip, so that trumped getting any other Haven Suite.

Our cabin was on deck 14. But, the Haven Suites were spread out on deck 14, 15, 16, with the Haven itself on deck. The Spa and gymn were on Deck 15, while the Haven Bar and Haven Restaurant were on deck 16. Everything was close for us. We would work out in the morning in the gym, hit the spa steam and salt rooms afterwards, use the spa area and then have cocktails and some of our meals (usually breakfast) in the Haven Restaurant. Everything was a short walk.

The cabin was gorgeous. While I didn't use the "in cabin" whirlpool, my wife did, and loved it.

Not going to keep anyone in suspense. I've cruised the best that the mainstream cruise lines offer.....Carnival Breeze, RCCL Allure of the Seas, and now NCL Breakaway. I had sailed Breakaway a year ago in a solo cabin. I enjoyed the ship then....enjoyed it even more this trip. Matter of fact, this was THE BEST cruise and ship I've ever been on...food, service, ship, entertainment....all of it the best I've ever experienced.

So, while I'm sorting pics, I'll need a bit of time....be back shortly.

Edited by graphicguy

this is part of the comment I posted on another thread. My wife and I have sailed on the Breakaway twice. The first time was in The Haven, the second time was in a minisuite. Needless to say, we have a third sailing booked for next February booked... back in The Haven.

-------------------

I prefer quiet and serene relaxation, and usually despise shows. In fact, the DW and my cruise line of choice for years has been Holland America. During sea days (and even port days), you could see us doing laps around the promenade deck. So Norwegian would be the LAST line that people would think we would be on going by stereotypes, ESPECIALLY a megaship like the Breakaway.

WRONG!!!!

After several less than enjoyable cruises (I'll leave it at that, don't feel like ranting) on Holland America, we decided to give the Breakaway a shot basically just for ****s and giggles. If we didn't like it, we weren't out any cash for airfare. To say that we were blown away would be an understatement... so much so that we took another cruise on her 3 mos. later.

There are plenty of spaces for serene relaxation, but at the same time you can be as busy an active as you wish. LOTS of little hidey-holes here.

What really sold us on the Breakaway was that on our return voyage 3 months later, we were immediately recognized by many staff members, and welcomed back "home", as if family, with arms open. Adrian Bica (The Haven concierge) recognized us as we were having a drink and was very determined to know why we didn't stop up and say hello to him, as he already heard we were on the ship (basically like an old friend that really cared). Sorry Adrian, but we are in a mini-suite this time, and no access to the Haven LOL.

Never thought I would like the big mega ships but we absolutely loved the Breakaway when we sailed on her in March! So much so that we will be on her again in September to Bermuda (in the Haven again) even though the Dawn is less than an hour from us and at considerably less cost! Can't wait!!

We were in the Haven on the breakaway in May and had a phenomenal time! Hands down, the best cruise we have been on! Adrien, the concierge, was spectacular! He knew each of his guests by name, and he always made sure we were well taken care of! We also chose the Spa Haven for it's spa access and whirlpool tub. I thoroughly enjoyed both!!

ImageUploadedByForums1404188093.744104.jpg.9b7b2215dc628266eddba12435e6886f.jpg

And yes, my bf had to purchase authentic Bermuda shorts and socks to wear the day we sailed away from the island! He was the talk of the ship that evening in his Bermuda attire! Lol

ImageUploadedByForums1404187963.016794.jpg.e3c9efcad6eace726090c3d0cddd4b9e.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404187985.613647.jpg.33b78c4023a4aab532c89169b62d6e8d.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404188030.463668.jpg.53ad04faf3fbb592a87072cf0d7dce85.jpg

Thanks, everyone.

So, if you have to start, you must start here...

DSC00214

OK...technical difficulty. For reasons I can't understand Flikr/Cruise Critic won't allow me to copy and paste pics embedded in a post. So, I end up with links. Anyone with suggestions?

Edited by graphicguy

Most of these pics are going to be geared towards the Haven.

I was lucky enough to be looking to book something right around the time NCL was running a promo for free UDP and UBP. So, we didn't spend much time in restaurants outside of the specialty and Haven restaurants.

When we did, it was usually for lunch. We ate lunch at the pub, O'Sheehans. It's good pub food, and served quickly. We sat at the bar mostly. Great bartenders who loved talking to all the patrons.

I can't remember which, Savor or Taste, we ate one after noon. Again, the food was really good (we both tried a burger) and served quickly with a smile, from everyone on the staff.

O'Sheehans, overlooking the big screen.....this wes more or less the main hub of the ship...most of the game shows, all the movies they showed, etc.

DSC00210_zps23e47c93.jpg

Looking forward to your review. I'm interested in the Breakaway because it wouldn't involve any flights for us.

And I'm definitely interested in the Haven, because I don't think my husband would cruise in a regular cabin!

I'm all over the map here, but I didn't mention embarkation.

We did this the only way we could. We were married on a Saturday. Ceremony, pictures, reception, changing after the reception...all of that precluded us from leaving Saturday night.

So, we had to fly into NYC as early as we could Sunday morning, to be aboard the ship (fingers crossed) 2 hours before sailing. So, we had to fly in day of, get a ride to the pier (88) and check in.....before 2:00 p.m.

Piece of cake. We got a hotel by the airport (in OH). After the reception, one of my ushers let us change clothes at his house and load up our stored luggage into my car. He was kind enough to return my tux for me.

By the time we got to our hotel, it was late. Our flight left at 6:00 a.m., which means we were up at 4:30 a.m. (OK....closer to 5:00 a.m. for me). We were 5 minutes from the airport. That early, on a Sunday, there weren't a lot of people checking in. I am TSA pre-screened, but they also let my wife join me in the pre-screen line. Easy-peasy. We were at the gate at 5:30 a.m., boarding at 5:40 a.m.

Since there was a time crunch involved, we both packed minimally. This is where "free style" really proves its worth. No need for suits, dresses (except sun dresses for my wife), ties, dress shoes, etc. I took 2 pair of long slacks, the rest were shorts. I brought a pair of nice but casual Sperry slip-ons. The other shoes were gym shoes and Crocs. I had my favorite Tommy Bahama shirts, which could double as nice casual shirts with shorts or slacks. Underwear, swim trunks and toiletries rounded it out.

Wife packed slacks, shorts, sun dresses, blouses/tops, flats, some low heel shoes, sandals, bathing suit, toiletries, and that was about it.

Result? Two carry ons each. One in the overhead, the other under the seat. My wife stuffed her purse in the overhead carry on. We checked nothing, so nothing could get lost, nor would we have to wait on anything.

The flight went from OH, to D.C. to NYC (LGA). Wheels up at 6:10, connecting flight made, wheels touched down at LaGuardia by 10:40 a.m.

I had pre-arranged a limo to pick us up at LGA to take us to the pier (Carmel Limos). As soon as we exited our plane, I called Carmel. By the time we got outside, the limo was there waiting for us.

By 11:30 a.m. we were at the pier. Skipped the porters. We were lead by a team of friendly NCL folks to a waiting area where they had tea, coffee, water, croissants, pastries, etc. By noon, were were being lead aboard the ship, to the Haven.

Easiest, most efficient, embarkation I've ever experienced.

Just a word about which cruises I looked at.......RCCL Allure, Freedom, Oasis. NCL Breakaway. Those were the ones that had cruises that fit our timeline, our interest in itineraries and had the things we thought we most would like to do.

For less than a balcony cabin on RCCL, I was able to book the Haven Spa Suite on NCL AND get the UBP and UDP thrown in, with a nice sized OBC from my on-line travel agent.

Booking the Breakaway became a clear no brainer.....much better experience, for less money, what was there to think about?

We were in the Haven on the breakaway in May and had a phenomenal time! Hands down, the best cruise we have been on! Adrien, the concierge, was spectacular! He knew each of his guests by name, and he always made sure we were well taken care of! We also chose the Spa Haven for it's spa access and whirlpool tub. I thoroughly enjoyed both!!

[ATTACH]317941[/ATTACH][ATTACH]317942[/ATTACH][ATTACH]317943[/ATTACH][ATTACH]317944[/ATTACH]

And yes, my bf had to purchase authentic Bermuda shorts and socks to wear the day we sailed away from the island! He was the talk of the ship that evening in his Bermuda attire! Lol

Agreed...Adrian was great. Happy to hear you enjoyed it.

With all of the wedding plans, reception plans (only 100 people)...all of the directing of the wedding as well as our nuptials happening, getting up early to fly from OH, to D.C. to NYC, we were pretty exhausted once we actually boarded the ship.

That was all alleviated immediately one we were in the Haven. That's the first place we headed.

Just a quick note about the Ultimate Beverage Package....we never found one drink that wasn't included during the entire cruise. Now, if it wasn't part of our "perks" that NCL threw in, I'm not sure it would have been a good deal ($60pp/day). At most, I had a Bloody Mary a couple of mornings, followed by a couple of beers in the afternoon, followed by pre-dinner bourbon, and an after dinner drink. Figuring an average of $8 per drink, that's $40/day. My wife drank even less. The nice thing, I didn't constantly look at my on board account to see how much we were spending on drinks.

Anyway, our room was ready as soon as we boarded. The assistant concierge (great lady, can't remember her name) showed us our cabin, and then to the Haven Bar.....

DSC00184_zps4a71af9c.jpg

The first view of the Haven was to see this.....

DSC00180_zps80e90da2.jpg

Not to say we didn't hang out at the pool bars, or O'Sheehans. We did. We spent far more time here than those other places, though. It was convenient. IT was laid back. It was a perfect place for us to just unwind, have a couple of cocktails, talk to other people in a normal voice., etc.

This is the outside portion of the Haven....we ate breakfast here nearly every morning....

DSC00211_zps79056291.jpg

Waitstaff took your order and brought it outside to this area. They also had a fruit and pastry bar inside the Haven Restaurant that we would sometimes get small plates and just sit in the outside Haven area.

BTW....on the table is complimentary mimosas.

Edited by graphicguy