The International Dinner - Where is the love?

POA1

I'll admit that we have not done the International Dinner yet. For some reason, we have scheduled an alternative venue on the last evening of our past few cruises. (Not to worry. We take care of our waiters before then.) DSIL was never a fan of the Master Chef's Dinner and we just got in the habit of going to Plan B on the last evening.

I've noticed that there do not appear to be a whole lot of fans of the International Dinner. My question is: Why?

We're doing a back to back later this year, so there are two chances to have the International Dinner. The menu looks fine. Sure, I'm sad that you don't get a chef's toque like you did for the Master Chef's Dinner. I'm also a little broken up about the lack of Dutch Night with its accompanying hats.

So, in my own tediously long-winded way, I'm asking for opinions on International Night.

Thanks.

Although the International Dinner is an improvement over the non-stop hoopla of the Master Chef's Dinner, it's not enough of an improvement for me. I tried it the first time I sailed with the opportunity; the next week I was back in the Pinnacle.

It's the menu as far as I'm concerned. It's just not what I want to eat.

Not having been on a HAL cruise yet, I haven't experienced it, and honestly I don't plan to. There is virtually nothing on the menu that appeals to me - I don't eat fish, mushrooms, veal, or tofu, and I'm not a fan or peppers or duck, and I'm picky about lamb. Ergo my option for dinner would be everything on the dessert menu. Not cool.

Fortunately, if reports are correct, that's the night we will be in Victoria, scheduled to dock at 6. I will be exploring the city and will choose to eat my dinner somewhere there.

Edited by runnergirl71

We enjoyed the International dinner on our first 2 cruises but chose the Pinnacle on our last one. Nothing against it just a change of pace. Thanks CC ers for suggesting that.

To note the menu for the International dinner was the same as I recall.

For people with WAY more cruises under their belt I am sure it gets old.

Not having been on a HAL cruise yet, I haven't experienced it, and honestly I don't plan to. There is virtually nothing on the menu that appeals to me - I don't eat fish, mushrooms, veal, or tofu, and I'm not a fan or peppers or duck, and I'm picky about lamb. Ergo my option for dinner would be everything on the dessert menu. Not cool.

Fortunately, if reports are correct, that's the night we will be in Victoria, scheduled to dock at 6. I will be exploring the city and will choose to eat my dinner somewhere there.

Consider the Cactus Club Café at Douglas & Fort; it's a good one!

Hey we did it on the Maasdam and it was decent, not a lot of choice as we cancelled our PG reservations (for good reason). Also tried it on the Prinsendam .

The other ships, where the MDR was not as good, I far prefer the alternatives and we book them on line as soon as they are available.

Most of the ships can't pull it off IMO & a lot of choices do not appeal to me

Edited by kazu

The biggest issue is the inexplicable lack of the "always available menu" on the last night as an option.

I think that may very by ship. The waiter on my cruise on the Westy said those items were available.

The biggest issue is the inexplicable lack of the "always available menu" on the last night as an option.

So it's the always mostly sorta available menu? (Without hats. ;) )

We really enjoyed the International Dinner on the last nights of our b2b in the Far East. I can't remember what I ate (not a good sign, in the past I would have blamed it on the food, possibly now I should blame it on my memory!) but I know I did enjoy it enough to order basically the same the second time. I'll look and see if I have some photos to jog my memory!:)

The execution of this menu may depend upon the Executive Chief aboard. My most recent experience with this menu were selections that I have not tried before and they were good.

It has been difficult for me to understand why the brain trust in Seattle that has control over ship services and the dining room fails to understand the importance and value of an absolutely magnificent and delicious final dinner aboard whatever -Dam one might be on. It makes a lasting impression.

On my sole Celebrity cruise, my last 2 main dining room dinners were the most disappointing dinners I have had afloat. (Maybe the worst was the first lunch aboard the Queen Elizabeth 2 sailing from Southampton in July, 1980. What I ordered was not what I got!)

We have to go because my DH always orders the Duck. I don't remember what I order - probably a Beef if offered. We don't mind going. It has certainly changed over the years.

Funny that on our last cruise I reported on CC that there was no "parade, hoopla, etc." at our 5:45pm fixed seating on the last evening. We stalled around after dinner so as to not offend our waiter by rushing to the door. When it appeared nothing was going to happen we said goodbye to our waiter, who never indicated something more was coming. After I made that CC post someone else on the same cruise, same dining time, reported that there actually was the parade - but it didn't start until the Upper Dining Room was almost empty.

Both DH and I enjoyed the International Dinner. We actually need to cruise again to try some other things on the menu that we thought would be interesting - you can only eat so much at one sitting.

We both enjoy a variety of food, the selection at the International dinner is certainly quite varied. Age also prevents me from remembering what I had but I am betting I had the lamb as an entrée.

We also enjoyed the fact that it did not have the same hoopla as the Master Chef's dinner.

We've had the International Menu on our past 5-6 cruises. I enjoy it more than my wife. I usually have the Guiso Argentinian beef soup, Vietnamese Spring Roll, and the Pablano pepper stuffed chicken or The Asparagus Risotto.

I think it's a nice change, but the selection may be more limited for some folks.

Looking at my photos (want me to post some?), I had the Spring rolls, and the Pavlova which I remember were very good. Most probably I had the duck (no pictures) and DH would have had the beef or the lamb shank. The appetizers were the most interesting.