World Cup Football Games

pmd98052

Following up on a thread from last week. We're on the Golden Princess in Skagway right now and the USA World Cup football game is not being shown on the big screens. Its on in the smokey Players bar and aside from that you have to watch in your cabin.

Quite disappointed that Princess is not promoting the USA's great progress against all odds in this World Cup. Not to mention missing their chance to make some additional drinks revenue!

Go USA!

Edited by pmd98052

Skagway may have noise restrictions for ships in port.

Princess may not have been able to obtain the rights to show the broadcast on the MUTS screen while inside US waters, or the cost could be prohibitively higher than for TVs inside the ship.

And are there really that many people sacrificing their day in port to watch a sporting event at 11:30 local time?

Skagway may have noise restrictions for ships in port.

Princess may not have been able to obtain the rights to show the broadcast on the MUTS screen while inside US waters, or the cost could be prohibitively higher than for TVs inside the ship.

And are there really that many people sacrificing their day in port to watch a sporting event at 11:30 local time?

Don't know how many people are staying onboard but we are. Been to Skagway many times and this is a major major achievement for team USA.

US is hanging in there but playing almost exclusively defense. Goalie has been phenomenal protecting the goal but Belgium is getting lots of shots in while the US is not. The game today (so far) is being played almost entirely in front of the US goal...

This is true... they would be prohibited from playing the game on MUTS while in port...

Well, they potentially could play it, but they would have to leave the sound off.

Princess announced which ships would be showing the World Cup, and I don't think any of the Alaska ships were on the list.

Game over now. USA is going home. At least "the kid" scored a goal in extra time. Final score is USA 1 and Belgium 2 - all points scored in extra time.

I agree that Alaskan ports do NOT want the loud MUTS audio blasting out and destroying the ambiance of their areas. I really don't blame them at all.

I loved Alaska. I thought we were going back next year for a cruisetour but my wife decided last night that we should do the Panama Canal instead so we're booked on the 17 day full transit out of SF next year. It will be very different from Alaska!

(I am certain we will get to do the cruisetour later though. Once you've sailed to Alaska it calls to you to return...)

This is true... they would be prohibited from playing the game on MUTS while in port...

Turn on captioning, turn off sound.

Common in many sports bars, where multiple games

are being shown simultaneously.

Well, they potentially could play it, but they would have to leave the sound off.

Princess announced which ships would be showing the World Cup, and I don't think any of the Alaska ships were on the list.

That'd be no fun... :p

As a Brit, I can only say that the USA Team played absolutely fantastically tonight. Well done to all concerned the effort was enormous!!!

Indeed, it was a great game...and a wonderful showing for US Soccer! Bravo to Jurgen and the boys! Russia 2018 is next!! Maybe I'll sail there on a Princess itinerary...

As to the OP, that would be fantastic for MUTS to display, though I agree, Alaskan ports would probably frown on the excess noise.

Which ship are you on? Golden? I hope you watched with fellow USA supporters in one of the lounges/bars...that is, IF they were actually showing the match.

And if you want a drink while watching in your room, call room service.

For the same price (with gratuity) as on deck or in a lounge, you can have the drink brought to your room.

So, you can choose between hanging out on deck or in a lounge,

and having a lot of like-minded fans cheering and yelling when

you do,

or, you can order a room service drink.

So, you can choose between hanging out on deck or in a lounge,

and having a lot of like-minded fans cheering and yelling when

you do,

or, you can order a room service drink.

OP noted their only options was to watch in the cigar bar or in their room.

They wanted to watch on deck and were unable and that was what their gripe was. They mentioned about getting drinks while watching as well and lost drink revenue for Princess.