Another Ultimate drink package (sorry)

masterty

I am curious if having the UDP will hinder service. If I am lounging and enjoying my drinks, does anyone believe that my service will be poor due to the tips already being paid as part of the UDP?

Will I be getting paper receipts with each included drink package allowing me to tip above the already paid amount?

Is more than +15% tipping common?

We had the all-inclusive beverage package on our just completed Emerald Princess cruise. We received the same service as everyone else (excellent!). You are given a receipt to sign after each drink is ordered. It shows a zero balance owed. There is a line for you to add an extra gratuity. The package includes a 15% gratuity. We didn't tip extra until the end of the cruise when we gave the servers who had taken care of us most often something extra in cash

We had the all-inclusive beverage package on our just completed Emerald Princess cruise. We received the same service as everyone else (excellent!). You are given a receipt to sign after each drink is ordered. It shows a zero balance owed. There is a line for you to add an extra gratuity. The package includes a 15% gratuity. We didn't tip extra until the end of the cruise when we gave the servers who had taken care of us most often something extra in cash

Remember that any extra tip added onto that line on the receipt is shared with the pool just like the auto tip. If you want to tip a specific server or bartender then cash is the way to do so.

This was our experience on the Star last month as well. We spent a lot of time in Skywalkers, so those servers were tipped extra, in cash, at the end.

The question is not about the default amount but rather, if the default amount guarantees good service. I worry that if I prepay the tips by placing a sticker on my card for all inclusive drinks, will the servers then just focus on cruisers who are tipping with each drink they bring. The servers have to know that they can ignore all inclusive passengers without reducing their default tip.

The question is not about the default amount but rather, if the default amount guarantees good service. I worry that if I prepay the tips by placing a sticker on my card for all inclusive drinks, will the servers then just focus on cruisers who are tipping with each drink they bring. The servers have to know that they can ignore all inclusive passengers without reducing their default tip.

We experienced no difference in service on the Emerald. Since a 15% gratuity is added to the price of every drink automatically even if you're not on the all-inclusive package, I don't think the servers discriminate.

You could place this analogy on every aspect of the crew as the majority of passengers prepay tips.

I don't think the crew look for opportunities to avoid doing their jobs.

You could place this analogy on every aspect of the crew as the majority of passengers prepay tips.

I don't think the crew look for opportunities to avoid doing their jobs.

Not exactly the same thing. My room steward might not honor my request to have the room serviced 4 times a day or the dining room staff seating me 6 times a day. The prepaid tips are for your room to be serviced twice a day and seated in the dining room 3 times a day. If the all inclusive package drink package prepaid tip covers around 5-6 drinks a day then a server who is only being paid the default may believe they are being under compensated. It is this under compensation I worried might hinder excellent service for UDP pax's.

From the responses about UDP customers receiving excellent service I am now more at ease.

Edited by masterty

If the all inclusive package drink package prepaid tip covers around 5-6 drinks a day then a server who is only being paid the default may believe they are being under compensated.

One can assume that on the average Princess makes more $$$ selling this package than not offering it. Thus, on the average, people will get less drinks than break-even (for the passenger) and the staff thus gets more to the tipping pool than they would without the package.

I am curious if having the UDP will hinder service. If I am lounging and enjoying my drinks, does anyone believe that my service will be poor due to the tips already being paid as part of the UDP?

Will I be getting paper receipts with each included drink package allowing me to tip above the already paid amount?

Is more than +15% tipping common?

You can add a tip but why would you. Just my opinion but why would anyone tip above 15% when all the bartender does is pour a bit of alcohol out of a bottle and maybe add some mixer or else hand you a can a beer? I can never figure that out.

DON

You can add a tip but why would you. Just my opinion but why would anyone tip above 15% when all the bartender does is pour a bit of alcohol out of a bottle and maybe add some mixer or else hand you a can a beer? I can never figure that out.

DON

I've tipped above the 15% but always cash given to the bartender usually at the end of the cruise but sometimes during (such as they tell me they are going ashore for the day). I usually find 1-3 bars/bartenders I really like (good personality, prompt service, makes good drinks, etc...) and stick to those bars and there are always a few servers that I get to know.

In the evenings or even before/after lunch, I'm usually sitting at a bar so I get to know them really well. I had one bartender actually buy me a gift when he went ashore for the day. It's just a reward for good service. I know they are getting the 15% but I usually tip 20% at home anyways so so an extra 100-200 for the bartenders/servers isn't really all that much over 20%. Plus they really appreciate it and I know they are sending money home to their families (just like most of the crew).

No different really then giving Stewart a little extra at the end of the cruise even though he/she is included in the tip pool.

DON

I would not likely add tip to someone who simply tips a bottle. However would hate to purchase the UDP only to watch servers skip me to swipe room cards of a-la-carte drinkers.

I expect drink service like everyone else. I expect the same service whether I pay drink by drink or UDP. I was only wondering if UDP had to add extra tips to keep the alcohol flowing. My past cruises I have never had an issue keeping a drink full. The staff is always there to swipe my card.

I look forward to the UDP and will report back after cruising if I experience excellent bar service.

I always purchase the UDP and ALWAYS get the best service. The servers will NOT discriminate against you if you have the sticker and may even treat you better because they know that folks who purchase the sticker are savvy shoppers and know how to get the most out of their cruising experience!

I want to make sure that I understand who receives my tips??

I assume that as long as I agree to the standard daily tip that is placed on my room account that all of my additional tips go to the person that I give them to. From this thread are you saying that only my cash tips are actually kept by the person I give them to and that the extra tip that is placed on my room account is divided by everyone. Is this correct?

DON

On my recent cruise on Star Princess, I tipped extra to my favorite bartenders (Gigi and Nan) at Crooners (my usual watering hole). After a couple of days, they'd be starting my favorite drink before I even sat down. On a couple of occasions, when the bar was full, they actually went and got me a chair from the Crown Grill. 'Twas definitely worth the few extra dollars... :)

On my recent cruise on Star Princess, I tipped extra to my favorite bartenders (Gigi and Nan) at Crooners (my usual watering hole). After a couple of days, they'd be starting my favorite drink before I even sat down. On a couple of occasions, when the bar was full, they actually went and got me a chair from the Crown Grill. 'Twas definitely worth the few extra dollars... :)

Did you tip in cash or did you add it to the bottom of your drink receipt?

Did you tip in cash or did you add it to the bottom of your drink receipt?

Any extra tip added to a receipt goes towards the bar staff as a group, sometimes even on other ships. The only way to give and individual a tip is cash. It is then up to them to enter the cash into the staff pool.

Interesting read Crew Compensation, Auto-Tips, and Loyalty Status - An Honest discussion

Any extra tip added to a receipt goes towards the bar staff as a group, sometimes even on other ships. The only way to give and individual a tip is cash. It is then up to them to enter the cash into the staff pool.

Interesting read Crew Compensation, Auto-Tips, and Loyalty Status - An Honest discussion

Thanks for the link! That was a lot to read.

I just wish Princess would spell it all out so everyone would know for sure.

We had the complete opposite experience on Caribbean Princess. This was a 4 day get away and was basically a booze cruise. They way oversold the UDP, and in my feedback I told them they should have limited the number of PAX that could buy it.

The servers, with the exception of a few in Skywalkers, were completely unresponsive, the bartenders at EVERY bar were horrible. Many of the bars had too many patrons trying to get drinks, and they did not have them fully staffed.

On 7 other cruises during sail away there have always been servers walking around with the drink of the day. Not one server even was walking around taking orders.

There were several times where we left bars because we could not get service.

I have a friend who is on Golden right now and getting much better service, but again, not as many people have seemed to purchase it on that cruise.

It could also be the darn Rivera deck on the Caribbean Princess. But there was several times where bars were not open, the bar at the back of the ship only had 1 bartender on at any time (and he had THE WORST attitude any time with the sticker showed up)

I am a huge fan of the package, but I sincerely believe that there should be a limit to the number of passengers who can purchase it.

I am a huge fan of the package, but I sincerely believe that there should be a limit to the number of passengers who can purchase it.

I don't see a need to limit the number of packages sold but more of a need to have proper staffing of the bar service locations.

Obviously Princess is making a pretty penny off of the increases drink sales which is great, but it also means they need to staff for the added demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had the complete opposite experience on Caribbean Princess. This was a 4 day get away and was basically a booze cruise. They way oversold the UDP, and in my feedback I told them they should have limited the number of PAX that could buy it.

The servers, with the exception of a few in Skywalkers, were completely unresponsive, the bartenders at EVERY bar were horrible. Many of the bars had too many patrons trying to get drinks, and they did not have them fully staffed

I had the same experience on Carribbean.

However, I think the bar service was universally poor -- no discrimination against sticker vs. non-sticker.

I guess that is a positive!