Attempted Smuggler Arrested

Retired LEO

WOW, glad them caught the idiot. He has probably been doing it for awhile in smaller amounts to possibly lead up to a larger load. Maybe one time solo wasn't a red flag, and he may done it more than once before they realized that he may be a trafficker or mule.

I've travelled 80-90 cruises solo never stopped or questioned by customs

I travel solo all the time. Once, upon returning from a cruise, my luggage was set aside and when I went to retrieve it, I was directed to a side room. I guess for a luggage search and further inspection. However, I had also left my housekeys in my luggage by mistake the night before and as soon as I got in the back room, I unlocked my luggage, opened it wide, rummaged around for a minute and then yelled, "FOUND THEM!" with the keys in my hand. At that point, they never bothered look in my luggage. I imagined they figured if I was willing to open my luggage for all to see so readily and dig around in it, the chances of me hiding something was nil. They did, however, ask me, "So what did you purchase on the islands?" (I was surprised bc I didn't know how they knew I had purchased anything) I had purchased a pair of silver bangles which I had on my wrist. So I just held my arm up and said, "These" with a big smile and the officer said, "OK, you can go." I think I was not very interesting.:confused::(

When I do land vacations and go thru customs in Jamaica, I am asked some odd "trip you up" questions every now and then. (Them: Are you staying at a resort or house? Me: Resort. Them: Who are you here to see? Me: No one. Them: So what did you buy for him? Me: Him who?? Nothing!!!! and finally, them: who is picking you up from the airport? me: the transport bus to the resort) My passport shows multiple Caribbean trips every year so. . . I may be a solo flagged at some point or the other. However, other than an abundance of liquor, I don't smuggle. And, now there is no actual limit on how much liquor you can bring back. Rather it is just an amount of money you can spend (I think $800 per person). So I am good.

In Barbados, my carry on luggage is usually re-searched at the gate just as I am getting on the plane.

Never thought much of it. I guess a solo female has the potential to be some sucker in love with an islander willing to do stupid stuff for love.:eek: NOT I!!!:cool:

Edited by VacationCrazee

It doesn't take just one red flag to raise suspicions. There was much more going on here.

Very interesting about the traveling solo as a red flag. I met a guy traveling solo once, with 2 large suitcases. One was for clothes and the other was for his scuba gear.

When we got off the ship and went through customs, he was pulled aside, taken to a private room, and had all of his luggage searched, while being thoroughly questioned about why he was traveling alone, what he did for a living, etc. Such a sweet guy who wouldn't hurt a fly. Now I understand why they did that. I'll have to tell him this when I get home - I ended up marrying him a year later. ;)

Awwwwww!

Probably no more than the extra scrutiny you may get (whether noticeable or behind the scenes) if you buy a one-way airline ticket.

For our upcoming cruise in November, I booked our outbound and return flights as separate one-way tickets on two different airlines. I didn't even think about the fact that it would raise red flags!

I saw a news story a couple of years ago that said cruise ship passengers/mules were accounting for more and more of the drugs brought into the country. The mules were usually caught because of the numerous trips they took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first solo cruise I went without my daughters. I am a single father and they are getting up in the college age so I took the solo cruise and got hooked. Well My daughters for years always wanted a peculiar Tanzanite bracelet and as a gift for them doing so well in school I bought each one a bracelet. Yes at two I went over Duty. I was honest and reported it on the form. I was pulled out of line and taken to that room you don't want to go to. Being retired from the military I recognized I was being softly interrogated. At one point I was asked to provide pictures of my daughters and complied. The officer went back into a office and came back and asked me to provide a form of payment for Duty. I gave him my card and watched as other people who didn't do the right thing were either handcuffed to a chair or the contents of their suitcase was dumped out. After 20 minutes I was let go and as I walked out the door the Officer thanked me for my service. (Interesting as I never revealed my military background)

I find it a bit interesting that there is so much controversy about allowing the TSA to profile passengers for screenings in airports but ICE can profile solo cruisers? I really hope there were other reasons that triggered the search.

Profiling is fine and usually good. RACIAL profiling is what is not fine and good.

Profiling is fine and usually good. RACIAL profiling is what is not fine and good.

Yeah, but you still have to watch out for those Badgers. They can be a little feisty sometimes.:eek::D

Edited by beachbum53

I too, travel solo all the time, and I too have never been pulled aside. Several things might work into that. First, I'm an Old Fart, second I almost NEVER leave the ship, in any port, and third, I too worked in law enforcement for many years. Glad they caught this guy. ;)

"SKY"

I have a different take on this. This is not about profiling someone reentering the US.

He was caught long before he tried to go through customs. They got him in his cabin!

Clearly the jig was up well before docking either though Carnival itself or work done by

law enforcement officials.I wonder what part in the arrest Carnival played.

Perhaps a combination of both groups Really eye opening.

This fine young man was caught well before he was arrested.

I hope he enjoyed the cruise. Sort of like a final meal for the condemned man. ;)

I saw a news story a couple of years ago that said cruise ship passengers/mules were accounting for more and more of the drugs brought into the country. The mules were usually caught because of the numerous trips they took.

Yeah between pax and crew members there's probably multiple smugglers every week, when you combine all the ships sailing. As they say we are losing the war on drugs...far too many people are willing to take the risk of " fast money".

Catch one and there are others willing and able to take their spot.

Example of "non traditional" mules

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/5243872/Pensioners-smuggled-drugs-to-Europe-on-cruise-ships.html

Edited by DaytonCruiser

My 2nd cruise was on RCI. We stopped in Jamaica and as we were reboarding, they were hauling away two young guys who apparently had taken up one of the offers made to them on the street. I had been approached (with my 15 year-old DD) and asked whether I wanted to purchase something, in broad daylight, in a crowd (we were on a ship tour!). If I'd known better, I would've gone to the service desk and reported it, since the tour operators had dropped us in a shopping area and made us stay for about 2 hours.

They had sniffer dogs at the gangway leading back to the ship. I thought this was a pretty good lesson for DD, seeing young men taken away in cuffs to be put in a foreign jail.

Anyway, that was a decade ago, and it WAS in Jamaica. But still. How stupid were those guys?!?

I've sailed solo several times. If anyone thinks older, solo females aren't used as drug mules, they're not paying attention.

I've never even been questioned when I return and my customs declaration shows $0. I don't buy junk souvenirs or expensive jewelry in port or on the ship. My money goes for excursions, wine, and gambling. There's none left over for that other stuff. :p

I got caught trying to smuggle a box of wine in our luggage and all i got was a letter.

Thank God! We have also had a few boxes of wine confiscated. But, the wine in my wife's suitcase went through fine. :confused:

Maybe it was a behavioral thing, like a solo traveler, who hangs out in his cabin for a week, keeps the stewards from cleaning the room, and when he gets into a port, gets a cab, knows where he is going, and comes back with what???? that passes through the machines? How can that not be spotted on the xray machines? So is someone on the ship providing the drugs, smuggling them in with bananas in a port, and then getting them to the mule? 11 pounds is a lot of coke, not sure how you get that past security even to get back on the ship.

Maybe it was a behavioral thing, like a solo traveler, who hangs out in his cabin for a week, keeps the stewards from cleaning the room, and when he gets into a port, gets a cab, knows where he is going, and comes back with what???? that passes through the machines? How can that not be spotted on the xray machines? So is someone on the ship providing the drugs, smuggling them in with bananas in a port, and then getting them to the mule? 11 pounds is a lot of coke, not sure how you get that past security even to get back on the ship.

Based on the news report it says he had one of those things to strap it to his body. When you return to ship you just go through a medical detector. Only bags go through the xray machine. I've never seen anyone get a pat down when returning from port.

My first solo cruise I went without my daughters. I am a single father and they are getting up in the college age so I took the solo cruise and got hooked. Well My daughters for years always wanted a peculiar Tanzanite bracelet and as a gift for them doing so well in school I bought each one a bracelet. Yes at two I went over Duty. I was honest and reported it on the form. I was pulled out of line and taken to that room you don't want to go to. Being retired from the military I recognized I was being softly interrogated. At one point I was asked to provide pictures of my daughters and complied. The officer went back into a office and came back and asked me to provide a form of payment for Duty. I gave him my card and watched as other people who didn't do the right thing were either handcuffed to a chair or the contents of their suitcase was dumped out. After 20 minutes I was let go and as I walked out the door the Officer thanked me for my service. (Interesting as I never revealed my military background)

I also thank you for your service!!!

I think honesty can be read by an experienced person -- and so can politeness and "duty." I wonder if they "checked your history" or he just assumed???

Again, thank you and thank your family for the sacrifice of allowing you to serve!!!

I also thank you for your service!!!

I think honesty can be read by an experienced person -- and so can politeness and "duty." I wonder if they "checked your history" or he just assumed???

Again, thank you and thank your family for the sacrifice of allowing you to serve!!!

Thank you for that comment.

I was very upfront with them. I did feel the drill and observation. Its possible he did an agency check while I was waiting. I never thought of gaming the system. While I processed my duty and witness people young and old crying or handcuffed, I don't think its a good idea to do something stupid that could ruin ones life.

For our upcoming cruise in November, I booked our outbound and return flights as separate one-way tickets on two different airlines. I didn't even think about the fact that it would raise red flags!

Anyone who would be profiling your one-way ticket purchase knows perfectly well that you have an additional one-way for your return. They also know you have a cruise booked. ;)

Just curious and not being snarky at all - why the soft interrogation for two tanzanite pieces? I've gone through CBP plenty, always honestly, occasionally over the free duty amount, although never with jewelry, only liquor and/or cigarettes, and I've never been questioned. I did witness a spectacular bust of someone returning from Ireland at the height of the Mad Cow days with a suitcase jam packed with meat products - 100% not allowed to be imported.

Anyone who would be profiling your one-way ticket purchase knows perfectly well that you have an additional one-way for your return. They also know you have a cruise booked. ;)

I suspect that is true. I frequently book two one way tickets instead of round trip as I tend to watch pricing for both directions and book each flight when I like the pricing. I have never had an issue traveling on a one way ticket.

Just curious and not being snarky at all - why the soft interrogation for two tanzanite pieces? I've gone through CBP plenty, always honestly, occasionally over the free duty amount, although never with jewelry, only liquor and/or cigarettes, and I've never been questioned. I did witness a spectacular bust of someone returning from Ireland at the height of the Mad Cow days with a suitcase jam packed with meat products - 100% not allowed to be imported.

I went over my personal duty amount not by a few dollars. Those tanzanite pieces were bracelets that had to be insured. I spent two months planning the purchase and felt I got a great deal. Possibly the issue of the amount. They did take it seriously.

As I mentioned I did not feel it was a big deal. But I guess a solo man bringing back two nice bracelets may look odd to them

Lucky for him hes banged up in the US...I used to watch those 'banged up abroad' shows on NG and some were scary.

If he had preempted his arrest he could have had a 'party' cabin on the cruise and got rid of all/some of the evidence.