Royal Princess TV documentary

Happyboating

Starting on ITV1 (in the UK) on Friday 11 July:

"The Cruise Ship - A revealing portrait of daily life at sea for the crew of the Royal Princess cruise ship as they deal with the requirements of the 3600 passengers on board."

Another quote from further into next week's TV magazine:

"A fly-on-the-wall look at life aboard the Royal Princess, a cruise ship that can accommodate 3600 passengers, as it travels around the Caribbean. Filmed over the ship's maiden season, it is all hands on deck as the cruise begins with a formal dinner, and some of the new crew struggle to adapt to a life on the ocean wave."

It looks like this programme is 1 of 4. :)

"The Cruise Ship - A revealing portrait of daily life at sea for the crew of the Royal Princess cruise ship as they deal with the requirements of the 3600 passengers on board."

"A fly-on-the-wall look at life aboard the Royal Princess, a cruise ship that can accommodate 3600 passengers, as it travels around the Caribbean. Filmed over the ship's maiden season, it is all hands on deck as the cruise begins with a formal dinner, and some of the new crew struggle to adapt to a life on the ocean wave."

The promo for episode 2 blew me away. Deputy Dan was my favorite ever.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep2week29/cruise-ship#.U7SUP_ldWSo

Ep 2/4

Cruise Director Sam has stiff competition from her power hungry Deputy, Dan. In a desperate attempt to become Cruise Director himself, he decides to create a Game Show to win the applause of his boss - but will his gamble pay off?

Here is the Princess Press Release from last May:

Princess Cruises Documentary to Air on ITV Over Summer

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2014/05/Princess-Cruises-documentary-to-air-on-ITV-over-summer.html#.U7SVpvldWSo

Edited by billco

Too bad its not broadcast in the US as well. :(

Too bad its not broadcast in the US as well. :(

I know! I was on the Royal when the crew arrived to begin filming last October. Saw them filming officers walking down deck 7 back and forth having conversations about their kids, etc.

Someone posted on another thread about this last week, about using a service called Holo????

Some people had tried it, and could watch ITV over the internet.

Here's the link to the above mentioned thread, and it's hola dot org

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2061987

Edited by newport dave

I was just checking my guide to see if by chance I got this channel (I get some international) but don't :(

I'll be sailing on the Royal at the end of Oct so it would be interesting to watch this.

I looked online and they do have an online player, but it's only available for UK residents as it checks your zip code and IP. With a UK VPN or Proxy it could be watched though.

Maybe the travel channel will pick it up at some point.

I was just checking my guide to see if by chance I got this channel (I get some international) but don't :(

I'll be sailing on the Royal at the end of Oct so it would be interesting to watch this.

I looked online and they do have an online player, but it's only available for UK residents as it checks your zip code and IP. With a UK VPN or Proxy it could be watched though.

Maybe the travel channel will pick it up at some point.

If you use Chrome and load Hola Unblocker (choose UK site) it will hide your IP address and you can watch everything on ITV and BBC. I do it from Canada and it works great! Never had a problem.

We get BBC America here (which is BBC1) so I'm hoping that this will be shown over here at some point. I did download HOLA on Chrome, so will give that a try.

In the meantime, the new season of Doctor Who starts in the USA next month, so I'm looking forward to that!

Maureen

We get BBC America here (which is BBC1) so I'm hoping that this will be shown over here at some point. I did download HOLA on Chrome, so will give that a try.

In the meantime, the new season of Doctor Who starts in the USA next month, so I'm looking forward to that!

Maureen

If you wait until after it's aired they seem to put every show on ITV Player for 30 days after, then it disappears. We get BBC Canada (same as BBC America) and never see ITV programs as it's a competitive network.

If you use Chrome and load Hola Unblocker (choose UK site) it will hide your IP address and you can watch everything on ITV and BBC. I do it from Canada and it works great! Never had a problem.

I use chrome and ZenMate to disguise my IP address - just set to UK. For those non UK who wish to register an English post/zip code - a random one would be CV21 3BG

Well... Spoiler alert...

I think Princess must have relinquished all editorial control as it was typical ITV junk and did NOTHING to portray Princess cruises as the quality, elegant and refined cruise line we've done 13 cruises on.

A mixture of old, stuck-up, old, moaning, old, boring, old, annoying, old, over familiar, old, pompous, old, opinionated, old. Did I mention OLD?

As for the annoying woman who washes her own underwear and hangs it in the shower... Get a life: you're on holiday, buy more underwear. Oh and get over yourself, mushrooms do not make the holiday! And did she really have a food fight with the Captain on one cruise? And as for planning where to stand in the atrium to get free drinks...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The production was well photographed and only spoiled by the not at all amusing voiceover by "comedian" John Thomson.

If you do manage to see it, turn the volume down, don't expect to see your favorite cruise line but DO NOT show it to your non-cruising friends in the hope to convert them!

I would go as far as saying Princess may have a lot more cancellations than new bookings as a result of it!

Just my 2c worth... I'll get my coat!

Well... Spoiler alert...

I think Princess must have relinquished all editorial control as it was typical ITV junk and did NOTHING to portray Princess cruises as the quality, elegant and refined cruise line we've done 13 cruises on.

A mixture of old, stuck-up, old, moaning, old, boring, old, annoying, old, over familiar, old, pompous, old, opinionated, old. Did I mention OLD?

As for the annoying woman who washes her own underwear and hangs it in the shower... Get a life: you're on holiday, buy more underwear. Oh and get over yourself, mushrooms do not make the holiday! And did she really have a food fight with the Captain on one cruise? And as for planning where to stand in the atrium to get free drinks...:mad:

The production was well photographed and only spoiled by the not at all amusing voiceover by "comedian" John Thomson.

If you do manage to see it, turn the volume down, don't expect to see your favorite cruise line but DO NOT show it to your non-cruising friends in the hope to convert them!

I would go as far as saying Princess may have a lot more cancellations than new bookings as a result of it!

Oh come on mate, tell us how you really feel! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2065413

For those of us living in Wales, ITV Wales is not showing this program on Friday at 2000. You'll need to watch it on ITV England or ITV HD if you can, or watch it later on the ITV Player. :mad::mad:

We didn`t get it tonight, David. Scotland had something else on. I must hunt through the paper to see if we get it any other night. :(

Even the i player directs us to STV, which of course isn`t showing it.

Edited by caber

I thought it was rubbish - very fast moving with a mocking commentary. Typical reality show where they build up a problem (backlog of laundry on formal night) as if it is going to be a disaster but surprise everything turns out ok.

Princess sent me an email today reminding me about the programme. I wonder if they have seen the final version.

If I had never cruised before, I would not want to after seeing this.

As it's World Cup time I can only say that Princess may have scored an own goal by allowing this.

My wife and I watched it in the hope of seeing more of what goes on below passenger decks. I strongly believe that the crew are entitled to their own space and that it would be wrong for passengers to personally intrude during a cruise, but a TV programme about their lives - presumably with their permission (and overseen by Princess!) promised at least a small insight.

Instead we got a Hotel Director who could only say "wow" when the laundry was under pressure and a senior chef who had to actually produce food because the canapés were behind schedule. Oh yes, and a lovely new hairdresser who was missing her mum. As for the vet's wife ...

Formal night when the passengers get to meet the senior crew - no sign of the captain. Maybe he will feature later in the series.

I suspect the audience splits into those who have never cruised, who want to see what it is like, and those who have cruised and want to see what Royal Princess has to offer but are also interested in the crew point of view. We fall into this latter category.

This programme can only get better. So far it isn't doing Princess any real harm but neither is it encouraging new business.

I suppose a "warts and all" with staff explaining what their life really was like was too much to ask for. However there are three more episodes, sorry - parts of the series, to follow. So watch this space ...

Edited by Balloon Man

Well... Spoiler alert...

As for the annoying woman who washes her own underwear and hangs it in the shower... Get a life: you're on holiday, buy more underwear. Oh and get over yourself, mushrooms do not make the holiday! And did she really have a food fight with the Captain on one cruise? And as for planning where to stand in the atrium to get free drinks...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I couldn't agree more. I have never cruised on Princess, but from all the trip reports I have read I wasn't expecting this.

If I cruised outside of school hols it would have put me off ever cruising on Princess.

Can I also add that the majority of us Brits are nothing like the moaning minnie vet.

Poor Princess this programme will do nothing for them.

I couldn't agree more. I have never cruised on Princess, but from all the trip reports I have read I wasn't expecting this.

If I cruised outside of school hols it would have put me off ever cruising on Princess.

Can I also add that the majority of us Brits are nothing like the moaning minnie vet.

Poor Princess this programme will do nothing for them.

I assumed the vet knew the chef when she started moaning there were no mushrooms!