Woo -hoo ! We're going to Bermuda !

Ascott318

I think he sleeps ALOT. just kidding!! Looks like everyone boarding now.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

They woke up. She's on the move.

Yes, I saw that, just watched the sailaway on Bermuda webcam.

Hope Arthur is not being too hard on you there in New Brunswick, but may will be harder on NS. Anyway...hoping all is well in the east, and hoping no damage from this storm.

Now back to Port Everglades webcam.:)

and just in time...Freedom is on her way.

Edited by SMSACE6

Yes, I saw that, just watched the sailaway on Bermuda webcam.

Hope Arthur is not being too hard on you there in New Brunswick, but may will be harder on NS. Anyway...hoping all is well in the east, and hoping no damage from this storm.

Thanks, but that's New Brunswick, NJ :)

I'm glad that many of you July 3rd Splendor people enjoyed the Bermuda upgrade.

I wasn't so fortunate and wanted to ask a question of the more experienced here.....I had no insurance on the cruise and like many was concerned of the weather....

Upon calling on July 3rd at 9am I was informed that there would be no change to the ships course....anticipating a real lousy trip....I cancelled

I lost my money only to find out two hours later that the ship was going to Bermuda....

do you think that in light of these strange circumstances that Carnival will do something in terms of a credit, etc....?

I really feel that the change should have been made at least first thing in the morning?

Sorry for your misfortune and apparently poor decision to cancel, but...

Carnival will do NOTHING for you. Your fear of bad weather is irrelevant. You cancelled, and they did not cancel the cruise. Often these course change decisions are made literally at the last minute or hour.

Do not book on ships if you have fears of rough weather, unless you have "cancel for any reason" insurance.

I'm glad that many of you July 3rd Splendor people enjoyed the Bermuda upgrade.

I can't get my head around any reason that would make me cancel. These lines will never put their passengers in harms way. For you to think that you knew better has me scratching my monitor.

Btw, even if you had insurance you would most likely not have gotten a refund.

Edited by TPFKAH

I can't get my head around any reason that would make me cancel. These lines will never put their passengers in harms way. For you to think that you knew better has me scratching my monitor.

I wouldn't cancel. I'd let Carnival provide incentives like OBC or whatever. That person may have fears we don't know about, or could possibly be a wimp. Either way, sorry you didn't hang in there to see what would happen. I'd be doing a happy dance with that itinerary change. I imagine there will be a few who'd grumble because of a lost port though, or someone who'd say "Oh no, Bermuda again" (like some of us say about Nassau/Freeport)

Unfortunately you can't please everyone 100% of the time. The same people that may be griping about the itinerary change to Bermuda (assuming there are any) are probably the exact same people that would complain if they had chosen not to change itinerary and "weather" the storm and try to make its original call to St. John.

Some people just can't be pleased at all.

I remember that when we did the Hurricane Earl cruise four years ago, a fair number of people canceled because of the forecast. No, the itinerary didn't change for us, and yes, the day in Saint John was pretty much a washout - at least until late afternoon. When we returned I posted here about having had a good time nevertheless - and one of the people who had canceled pretty much called me an outright liar.:(

Edited by nybumpkin

I has this cruise booked a few years ago. I think it was Hurricane Earl....it had the ship blocked in...east, north,south

As far as I was concerned the money was spent...whether I went or not.

I could stay home and have fun....or cruise and be uncomfortable.

I stayed home.

It was the right decision....I heard the sailing was rocky and the weather in Saint John pretty bad.

I has this cruise booked a few years ago. I think it was Hurricane Earl....it had the ship blocked in...east, north,south

I stayed home.

It was the right decision....I heard the sailing was rocky and the weather in Saint John pretty bad.

I imagine you might have rethought that decision had your ship gone to Bermuda.

I stayed home.

There are folks who want a cruise to be like a floating resort on the land, with no motion, and there is nothing wrong with that. Then there are those, like me, while certainly preferring smooth seas some times, who love to be on ships, and see how they deal with mother nature at her worst. I got so tired of smooth cruises that I later booked 3 TAs on QE2 and QM2, to experience the real deal, and had a GREAT time! Oh yeah, rockin' and rollin' big time! Maxed out at force 12, and I still went to the bar and to dinner!

Some folks can handle it and even love it (me), others cannot. Nothing wrong with either. It is what it is. I think the best part about rough seas is that all but the most experienced and hearty souls are in their cabins, either in bed or hugging the toilet, and all the rest get the ship to themselves! :D

There are cruise lovers, and then there are ship lovers. I count myself in the latter category. :cool:

QE2 taking on mother nature.

qe2-wave.jpg

I imagine you might have rethought that decision had your ship gone to Bermuda.

The only problem is that hurricane Earl didn't have a clear sailing path in any direction. Even a 4 day " cruise to nowhere" would have meant going thru the storm! Going to Bermuda wasn't an option.

DH hates cruises and gets seasick. I had to think about him.

I did the same cruise the next year....no problems .

I may do the 7/31 this year.

The only problem is that hurricane Earl didn't have a clear sailing path in any direction. Even a 4 day " cruise to nowhere" would have meant going thru the storm! Going to Bermuda wasn't an option.
No, there really was no good option for the Hurricane Earl cruise. DH and I don't have problems with seasickness, nor do our sons. That makes a big difference. (Now, carsickness in Jamaica is another story for our boys....:eek:)

DH hates cruises and gets seasick. I had to think about him.

I did the same cruise the next year....no problems .

I may do the 7/31 this year.

You did the right thing for you and your hubby.

• 2 weeks later...
The Explorer of the Seas is on it's 9 Day cruise, and is supposed to be there today, not Sunday.

Cruise Schedule: New York City, New York (03 Jul d1600); Kings Wharf, Bermuda (05 Jul 0800-1600); Philipsburg, St. Maarten (07 Jul 1300-2000); San Juan, Puerto Rico (08 Jul 0700-1400); Labadee, Haiti (09 Jul 0900-1600); New York City, New York (12 Jul a0800)

Thanks! You just answered a question! DH and I were in Bermuda from 7/5 to 7/16 staying on the south shore. We saw an RCCL ship sail by and we wondered where it was going!

I see the Regal Empress in your sig. I sailed on that ship when she was the SS Olympia for the Greek Line - it was my very first cruise and we hit some really rough weather (according to crew members) from NY to Bermuda, but I didn't know any better :)

I see the Regal Empress in your sig. I sailed on that ship when she was the SS Olympia for the Greek Line - it was my very first cruise and we hit some really rough weather (according to crew members) from NY to Bermuda, but I didn't know any better :)

I had the same thing happen on our 1st or 2nd cruise. It was rocking and rolling too. I didn't think anything about it at the time because it was quite an adventure holding onto poles to get pictures during the midnight gala event. All the ice carvings and anything round wound up on the floor:D