Bedtime Chocolates

british betty

On our recent Reflection TA they kindly left us chocolates every night but they were Belgian Milk Chocolate not the flavoured ones.

Does anyone know if this is the same for all of the ships as we will be on the Constellation in a few months and I am rather partial to the ginger flavoured chocolate that we have had on the other ships :o

We hated the flavored ones, we always brought them home to give away --- love the Belgium chocolate. :)

It is a bear to make us all happy! Maybe that's why RCI got rid of them entirely ;)

RCI got rid of them? Oh dear...never cruising with them! I love the chocolates and I scoop them all to still have some cruise left when I get home.:) Love the Belgian ones. Loved most of the flavored ones too but they were hard to open.

Considering what a cruise costs, why do some many people stress out of a bunch of 20 cent chocolates. I can't understand it. If bedtime chocolates were so important to me - which they are not - I would have my wife bring a bad of chocolates with her and put one on my pillow every night.

DON

Considering what a cruise costs, why do some many people stress out of a bunch of 20 cent chocolates. I can't understand it. If bedtime chocolates were so important to me - which they are not - I would have my wife bring a bad of chocolates with her and put one on my pillow every night.

DON

If this was a tweet, I'd 'favorite' it. :p

I highly doubt anyone is "stressing" over it, and I'd hope we're all here to help each other with their questions. I know I am :)

As others have mentioned, (and on Eclipse in April), Celebrity was offering a square belgium chocolate, which were absolutely delicious. We liked them much better than the flavored ones, but that's a personal preference.

IMO, nothing beats the Cova chocolates that Celebrity offered years ago.

I am surprised to hear you all had chocolates. On our recent Summit cruise, we got a couple of chocolate covered "cookies" left on our bed on the first formal night. That was it. Two cookies for three people to be precise. I have not sailed with Celebrity recently, and assumed they had just cut out the chocolates along with the midnight buffets etc. I still had a great cruise, and with all I ate I didn't really miss the chocolate.

On the Constellation TA we had the Belgium chocolates left on our pillows each night, and I also prefer them to the "flavored" type used in the past. While I prefer a darker chocolate the new Belgium chocolates are a higher quality than the prior ones, which always seemed to me was of such mediocre quality that a flavor had to be added to it.

On the Infinity May 12th cruise chocolates and some meats were supposed to be boarded in Le Havre, our first port of call. The French, in their own infinite wisdom, would not clear the staples so Celebrity sent a crew member out shopping. We had French chocolates for two nights and Celebrity managed to get the shipments boarded in Cork, Ireland on day three. The passengers appreciated the Belgian chocolates for the duration of the cruise!

I am surprised to hear you all had chocolates. On our recent Summit cruise, we got a couple of chocolate covered "cookies" left on our bed on the first formal night. That was it. Two cookies for three people to be precise. I have not sailed with Celebrity recently, and assumed they had just cut out the chocolates along with the midnight buffets etc. I still had a great cruise, and with all I ate I didn't really miss the chocolate.

I REALLY hope this isn't another of the "innovations" being tried out on the Summit. :(

I highly doubt anyone is "stressing" over it, and I'd hope we're all here to help each other with their questions. I know I am :)

As others have mentioned, (and on Eclipse in April), Celebrity was offering a square belgium chocolate, which were absolutely delicious. We liked them much better than the flavored ones, but that's a personal preference.

IMO, nothing beats the Cova chocolates that Celebrity offered years ago.

I'm with you Andy. Like the new ones much better than the flavored ones - but oh how I miss those Cova chocolates!

Mike

DON

Not stressing out. The chocolates are just a nice touch that I would miss. We always bring a small zip lock bag and take them home and put them in a candy dish. It reminds us of our cruise each time we have one.

Cynthia

Yes RCI discontinued chocolates with the exceptions of Grand Suites and higher and that may have even changed.

I read on of the older RCI I think they called it the President's Blog or something where he addressed there removal of chocolates.

Turned out the cabin stewards noticed a significant number of passengers didn't use the chocolates (I never do as an example) and just accumulated them and left them behind. Customs regulations and sanitation guidelines required them to be destroyed not reused, so they were contributing to a huge amount of waste. They calculated the number of chocolates thrown away and it involved some huge amount of wasted paper alone, like many, many square miles of it, so as part of their "green initiative" they stopped the chocolates. It wasn't a cost saving measure, and was really only missed by a relatively small number of passengers.

I read on of the older RCI I think they called it the President's Blog or something where he addressed there removal of chocolates.

Turned out the cabin stewards noticed a significant number of passengers didn't use the chocolates (I never do as an example) and just accumulated them and left them behind. Customs regulations and sanitation guidelines required them to be destroyed not reused, so they were contributing to a huge amount of waste. They calculated the number of chocolates thrown away and it involved some huge amount of wasted paper alone, like many, many square miles of it, so as part of their "green initiative" they stopped the chocolates. It wasn't a cost saving measure, and was really only missed by a relatively small number of passengers.

True. This was on Adam's blog. Of course many on CC did not believe that story but in the end they got over it. If they remove them it's not a big deal for me personally.

I am surprised to hear you all had chocolates. On our recent Summit cruise, we got a couple of chocolate covered "cookies"

How recent? We were on Summit the week of 5/25 and we got chocolates.

DON

Personally I liked all chocolate and fortunately for me DW only likes the dark chocolate so more of the others for me. I never buy chocolate at home so for me it's just something special that I enjoy that I wouldn't indulge in at home. If they stopped it all together I wouldn't be upset but I would miss it as part of the turn down service. Others would look at it as another cut back and the end of a cruise line tradition.

Everytime I hear about nightime chocolates I have to remember a cruise about 15 years ago when a dear freind of ours spent the evening partying and have a few too many drinks came back to her cabin late and woke up in the morning with a big mess caused by a chocolate melted in her hair. There must be a larger story here,maybe she asked for the turn down chocolates to be stopped!

J.

I had the same experience on the summit about 2 weeks ago. Only got those Choc covered Oreos one night, nothing the other nights. It seems the summit cut back on a variety of things and I really hated the new buffet

Not stressing out. The chocolates are just a nice touch that I would miss. We always bring a small zip lock bag and take them home and put them in a candy dish. It reminds us of our cruise each time we have one.

Cynthia

I'm with you! :D I too bring them home in a ziplock bag. I am one of those who much preferred the flavored chocolates, but the new ones are fine too. It's a nice touch. I just am never hungry once I am back in my stateroom for the night!