Ice for first aid

Request an ice bucket the first day-we asked for one mid cruise and he had a hard time getting one but he came thru for us. They also had ice up on the pool deck with cups so one night we went up and filled several cups so we could fill the sinks and get our water bottles cold for the next port.

I had knee surgery recently and was told that I would probably need to ice my knee at least once daily. What does RCCL do for you when this situation occurs?

Funny story, we were on the Serenade of the Seas, playing mini golf and I twisted my ankle, actually broke it but didn't know it the time. We went back to the cabin and asked our cabin attendant if he would bring us a bag of ice so I could ice my ankle. He brought me what was the size of a large shopping bag full of ice. So, Im pretty sure you will get what you need and more..

I hurt my ankle on my 1st cruise. Couldn't get a hold of my stateroom attendant when I got back on board. I called Room Service and they sent up a bucket of ice. It's a good thing that I always travel with extra ziplock bags. Had a gallon sized one that worked well for the ice. When my stateroom attendant found out I had injured my ankle, he was great at keeping my ice bucket and my ziploc bag full of ice for the rest of the week!

If you go down to the medical center (I forget the official cruise ship term for this area) they will give you a ziplock-type bag for ice. As others have said, you can get the actual ice from your room attendant, but the bag makes it a little easier to manage. Of course, they were the cheapest bags I've ever seen (my finger went right through one when I was trying to close it) so since you know you are going to need them, I'd bring a supply of ziplock bags in whatever size you think will be most manageable for icing your knee.

If you go down to the medical center (I forget the official cruise ship term for this area)

Oddly, in my experience, I believe RCI calls the medical center the "medical center".......:D

It may be AKA as "infirmary" on some ships, or "ship's hospital".

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I hurt my ankle on my 1st cruise. Couldn't get a hold of my stateroom attendant when I got back on board. I called Room Service and they sent up a bucket of ice. It's a good thing that I always travel with extra ziplock bags. Had a gallon sized one that worked well for the ice. When my stateroom attendant found out I had injured my ankle, he was great at keeping my ice bucket and my ziploc bag full of ice for the rest of the week!

My Physical Therapist told me about a solution of 1 cup alcohol to 2 cups of water. Put it in a zip lock bag and freeze it. It forms a frozen gel which will contour to your body part.

Hmm, your problem will likely be (a) getting the alcohol onboard, and (b) freezing it.

Standard cabin fridges are coolers at best.

Good luck.

(I believe there's a "special needs" dept. you can contact ahead of time.)

Edited by pspercy

Rather than mess with Ziploc baggies, I recommend going to any drugstore / Walmart / etc. prior to your cruise and buying an actual ice-bag, the old-fashioned kind.

I keep one similar to this one in my son's hockey bag, and it's been used by most members of his team throughout the season. As the only parent who is in healthcare (I'm a nurse), I'm the default "first aid person" for the entire team.

These are somewhat insulated, so you don't have as much risk of damaging the skin with a too-cold application, and they don't have as much of a problem with condensation/dripping (quite an issue in the tropical humidity). They are also less likely to spring a leak or just pop open unexpectedly (very common when using plastic baggies).

I noticed they even make one with a form-fitting "compression bandage" that will hold the ice bag in place on a limb so you don't have to balance it.

As everyone else has stated, ice is readily available on board, either through your cabin steward (let him know how much you need and what time of day), room service, or any bar/restaurant.

I had knee surgery recently and was told that I would probably need to ice my knee at least once daily. What does RCCL do for you when this situation occurs?

As others have said, ice is easily obtainable.

In addition, have you looked into or thought about those instant ice packs that you squeeze to activate? Maybe take some along with u too.

I don't think I'm allowed to give the website on CC. However if you do a search for disposable ice packs you can find a multitude of websites. When we go anywhere I take them with me. There are 24 in a case and they are around $.50-$.70 each. Different sizes available.

I don't think I'm allowed to give the website on CC. However if you do a search for disposable ice packs you can find a multitude of websites. When we go anywhere I take them with me. There are 24 in a case and they are around $.50-$.70 each. Different sizes available.

Are they self-freezing? I've seen some where you just crack something inside, and it has a chemical reaction that makes it go really cold. Those would be really easy to take and convenient to use on board. Real ice is free, but can be messy!

I've had several wrist and hand surgeries in the past few years and my Dr. has always sent me home with a refillable ice pack. It is has a fold over locking clamp that prevents leakage. It is probably something similar to what others have mentioned. I prefer using it rather than the zip lock bags.

Check at a local pharmacy in the first aid section.

In our experience, the cabin attendants have been great at taking care of special items. It is hard on the first day because of so many demands on change over day, but once you meet your attendant, they will make a list of special requests you might have.

On our last cruise DH needed to have stitches removed during the cruise. He visited the medical dept. the first or second day, told them of his dr's request and they were great.

Edited by temple1

I had knee surgery 4 weeks before a cruise, it was not a problem getting ice each day from our cabin attendant. Also, I found getting into the pool for awhile seemed to help as the water was pretty cold! And before any one comments, yes, my incisions were healed!:D Swimming in the ocean was also helpful.

One thing I did not expect was swelling for about 10 months post op, especially after working (I'm a nurse, so on my feet all day).

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

Had my knee scoped a week prior to a cruise some time back. I was still icing it down and in therapy at the time of the cruise. Was supposed to be icing 30 minutes out of each hour, if possible; or at least several times a day.

Asked the room steward for extra ice - more than the usual "cocktail" ice bucket - he was wonderful! Brought a pail twice a day, with a lid; similar to what you see staff carrying around the ship to bars/food venues.

I had brought an "old fashioned" ice bag to fill - the round kind with a screw on stopper; it was rubber and worked better than anything! This was much easier than using Ziploc bags, etc. Nice thing about this was that I could take it anywhere - sat in the solarium and filled it with ice there as well as in the cabin.

I agree. Just use the old fashioned ice bag with screw top. Just ask housekeeping to keep your ice bucket full. I have bad knees also and found I had no problem getting ice. Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

For those who might be reading this thread for ideas for upcoming cruise - if you need ice pack and don't to get ice, messy pack a few of the instant ice packs once you pop the middle instant cold (one use only) take 4-6 want take up to much room, that what I will be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk