Furious with Holland America!

rochelle_s

I was victim of a home robbery while on a cruise.

The only information you will find in my luggage is a note that says, if found please call me with my first name and cell phone number.

The honest man will call me. The thief will do what he wants, but at least he won't have my last name and address.

Mine have a cell phone number, my for-spam-purposes e-mail account, and a P.O. Box address. That way there is more than one way to contact me that will not easily lead anyone to my physical address. I have contact cards to give out to people with the same information.

I was victim of a home robbery while on a cruise.

The only information you will find in my luggage is a note that says, if found please call me with my first name and cell phone number.

The honest man will call me. The thief will do what he wants, but at least he won't have my last name and address.

This is sound advice, too many people let too many other people know their property will be empty whilst they are away, whether deliberately or by, say, putting their full address on their bags.

Most luggage that is taken by the wrong person is taken in error, not stolen. It is nearly impossible to get into the baggage reclaim area in European airports unless you have landed there. Not so in NY, although it may have changed its a few years since I was there, but on a domestic flight it seemed the luggage reclaim area was open to all and sundry - hence the checks before you left.

This is sound advice, too many people let too many other people know their property will be empty whilst they are away, whether deliberately or by, say, putting their full address on their bags.

Most luggage that is taken by the wrong person is taken in error, not stolen. It is nearly impossible to get into the baggage reclaim area in European airports unless you have landed there. Not so in NY, although it may have changed its a few years since I was there, but on a domestic flight it seemed the luggage reclaim area was open to all and sundry - hence the checks before you left.

Funny you mention this issue. We used to have a TV program in the US (on one of the cable stations) that was a reality show about Miami's airport (MIA) and its day to day operations. One of their shows was about how they caught several luggage thieves who made a good living on stealing luggage from the baggage carrousel area. Like many US airports there is no real security in those areas and this gang of thieves just snatched luggage and walked out of the airport. It took an entire squad of security and police to set-up a sting to nab these low lifes. But they still did nothing about the lack of real security.

Hank

Yes, I think every US airport have their carousels - international - open to all and sundry (all the ones I've visited anyway) - it's a wonder more luggage isn't stolen.

Edited by chrispb

Funny you mention this issue. We used to have a TV program in the US (on one of the cable stations) that was a reality show about Miami's airport (MIA) and its day to day operations. One of their shows was about how they caught several luggage thieves who made a good living on stealing luggage from the baggage carrousel area. Like many US airports there is no real security in those areas and this gang of thieves just snatched luggage and walked out of the airport. It took an entire squad of security and police to set-up a sting to nab these low lifes. But they still did nothing about the lack of real security.

Hank

Sounds very odd to me, but as I say I'm more used to the European system where it would be very difficult to get into the baggage reclamation area if you hadn't landed. I guess the US has more internal flights, whereas in Europe a high percentage are international even if there is no passport check between the majority of EU countries now, the old system lives on.

I hope you can ignore all the insulting posts blaming you for not having insurance, leaving the area, etc etc, and tell us if you ever find out what happened. It is an intriguing mystery in itself, and you have every right to be indignant.

Yes, I think every US airport have their carousels - international - open to all and sundry (all the ones I've visited anyway) - it's a wonder more luggage isn't stolen.

It is true that there is little security around the carousels - no need to produce your baggage claim stub. I imagine the only reason there is not a lot more theft is that it takes so long for luggage to appear on the carousel that most passengers are waiting - so potential thieves have to wonder if the owner might be right next to them as they grab a bag.

Have to disagree on that one! U.S. airport international baggage claim is not accessible to non-passengers since the pax that do come off those flights have to claim their luggage prior to declaring and/or non-declaring their possessions to U.S. CBP (after passport control).

Now, domestic baggage claim, at least at LAX, is fully accessible to anyone walking in from the outside/street. There used to be a time when you had to show you luggage claim tickets to a private security person at the exit who would then compare those to the tickets hanging on your luggage, but those times are long gone

Edited by Copper10-8

Have to disagree on that one! U.S. airport international baggage claim is not accessible to non-passengers since the pax that do come off those flights have to claim their luggage prior to declaring and/or non-declaring their possessions to U.S. CBP (after passport control).

Now, domestic baggage claim, at least at LAX, is fully accessible to anyone walking in from the outside/street. There used to be a time when you had to show you luggage claim tickets to a private security person at the exit who would then compare those to the tickets hanging on your luggage, but those times are long gone

International flights arriving from major Canadian airports are all pre cleared by US customs in Canada so we do just walk off and claim our luggage and go. The area is not secured and we just step outside the door and get a taxi. The area is readily accessible in Fort Lauderdale.

Edited by sapper1

The only time I have had anyone check my baggage claim tickets was a security guard

at Logan Airport in Boston many years ago. Only once out of the hundreds of times I have flown has this been done!

International flights arriving from major Canadian airports are all pre cleared by US customs in Canada so we do just walk off and claim our luggage and go. The area is not secured and we just step outside the door and get a taxi. The area is readily accessible in Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks for that info! Forgot about the pre-clearance by U.S. CBP from Canadian airports

Edited by Copper10-8

First of all - I would be incredibly upset if I left my bags outside my door as instructed and they disappeared into thin air. So OP, you have every right to be upset - period. Now - for the rub. If, in fact, HAL's liability limit is $100 and it won't budge - that's what you get unless you're persuasive and creative (i.e. ask for a discount on your next cruise, etc.). We all "gamble" when we don't get insurance - you're playing with probabilities and you lost this time. That doesn't negate your upset feelings - it just might mean, however, you have to eat the loss (or the majority of it). Hope your bags turn up (I always keep cash, sentimental items, etc. with me in my carryon baggage). Good luck!

Thanks for that info! Forgot about the pre-clearance by U.S. CBP from Canadian airports

I appreciate being able to do pre clearance because when we arrive tired after a long flight the last thing we want to do is to stand in a long line for customs clearance.

I appreciate being able to do pre clearance because when we arrive tired after a long flight the last thing we want to do is to stand in a long line for customs clearance.

I didn't understand what pre-clearance meant at first because that is all I've ever known living in the big city. I think I get it now.

You're right on, it's a definite plus! Unfortunately it's still business as usual flying in from Europe, Asia, Australia/NZ, Africa, Central & South America

I'm thinking of all of the US airports I've flown in & out of ... as far as I can recall, you can just walk into any of the domestic baggage claim areas. And right back out, without anyone checking your tags.

You're right on, it's a definite plus! Unfortunately it's still business as usual flying in from Europe, Asia, Australia/NZ, Africa, Central & South America

I do believe it is only the flights from Canada that are officially "international" but which get pre-clearance, so you are correct, and the other poster is incorrect in stating that international baggage is open to all and sundry. Not so.

I can also add that I fly into Heathrow from Canada frequently, and I swear I could easily get anything through because the clearance is so lax there.

I do believe it is only the flights from Canada that are officially "international" but which get pre-clearance, so you are correct, and the other poster is incorrect in stating that international baggage is open to all and sundry. Not so.

There's actually a list of airports where US citizens can pre-clear customs & immigration, not only Canadian airports. I know Dublin is one, as is Abu Dhabi. I think Heathrow may be on the list as well.

There's actually a list of airports where US citizens can pre-clear customs & immigration, not only Canadian airports. I know Dublin is one, as is Abu Dhabi. I think Heathrow may be on the list as well.

None of the airports in England are on the list. Full list is here:

http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/preclearance/preclear-locations

None of the airports in England are on the list. Full list is here:

http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/preclearance/preclear-locations

Thanks. I know there was some discussion at one time about additional pre-clearance locations (not at this forum, but in real life). I must have gotten confused between proposed locations and actual ones.

I fly from Australia, so I have to go through Customs/Immigration once in the US either way, as none of the locations (either actual or proposed) is in Australia.

First of all - I would be incredibly upset if I left my bags outside my door as instructed and they disappeared into thin air. So OP, you have every right to be upset - period.k!

The thing is that the OP did not leave their bags outside of their room. Late in the evening and past the expected bag drop off time, they handed their bags off to a steward outside of an elevator.

Yes, the steward should have made certain that the bags got to the proper place. However, when you go outside of the established system, sometime the system does not work.

The fact that both of their bags went missing strongly suggested that they are sitting in the same place somewhere and probably right next to each other.

If only 1 bag was missing, there might be another explanation. But I can not think of another explanation for both bags going missing.

DON

There's actually a list of airports where US citizens can pre-clear customs & immigration ...
There's nothing special about US citizens as far as pre-clearance is concerned. It's either available for everyone on the flight, or it's not available to anyone.

There are some wrinkles, too, like the fact that the pre-clearance at Shannon closes in the middle of the afternoon. Earlier flights get pre-clearance, later flights don't.

And from Dublin as well.