Confused on Wording of Move Over Offer

kzd2014

Hi all,

I'm sorry to post this question, as I've read extensively through the boards and feel like I should be able to figure it out, but I received the following move-over offer from Princess:

* 100% of cruise fare back (as refundable onboard credit) * Free Upgrade to a balcony stateroom * Air change fees covered up to $300 per person (Princess Air protected)

My question is with that first part - does that mean if I moved over, that cruise would be FREE? Or does it mean that they would take what I paid and turned it into OBC, with all of that money coming back to me? Or does it mean none of these things? I want to make an informed decision, but want to make sure I understand that first line.

Hi all,

I'm sorry to post this question, as I've read extensively through the boards and feel like I should be able to figure it out, but I received the following move-over offer from Princess:

* 100% of cruise fare back (as refundable onboard credit) * Free Upgrade to a balcony stateroom * Air change fees covered up to $300 per person (Princess Air protected)

My question is with that first part - does that mean if I moved over, that cruise would be FREE? Or does it mean that they would take what I paid and turned it into OBC, with all of that money coming back to me? Or does it mean none of these things? I want to make an informed decision, but want to make sure I understand that first line.

Sounds to me like you get an upgrade to a balcony room, air change fees up to $300 pp covered, PLUS you get your entire cruise fare back. However, you don't get it as cash, you get it as OBC. Sounds pretty sweet if the change of dates and itinerary works for you.

I would imagine that the "entirely free cruise plus a room upgrade" sounds too good to be true and is what is causing your concern. This does sometimes happen if they really want you to give up the booking you have and take an alternate date. If you can live with the change it's an incredible deal.

Edited by Thrak

Thanks for your response! It was the 100% part I couldn't wrap mind around...I didn't know if that was a fancy way of saying "we will transfer your cruise fare to the next one", or if it was a full refund AND obc, but I think you've cleared it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your response! It was the 100% part I couldn't wrap mind around...I didn't know if that was a fancy way of saying "we will transfer your cruise fare to the next one", or if it was a full refund AND obc, but I think you've cleared it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I particularly like that they specified "refundable OBC" so that any OBC you don't use you can get refunded to you.

People get move over offers sometimes and they simply can't change their plans. As Princess goes through the passenger list they may start with 50% fare back, etc. and then end up offering crazy deals like the one they are offering to you because they simply oversold the cruise and nobody is budging on taking their offers. They simply increase the incentives until somebody says, "This is an offer I can't refuse!"

Often people simply can't change their plans but, if they are really flexible, sometimes people score some very nice move over offers. Call your TA or, if you aren't booked through a TA, call Princess direct and be very specific nailing down exactly what they are offering but, from what I've read in many places, this is by no means an unheard of type of move over offer. Move quickly though as I would guess they gave you a very limited time to decide.

was this an email offer you got? Ive never heard of a "move over offer"

-David

Stick around CC for a while and you will learn of many amazing things. Some will make you happy. Some (PVSA perhaps) will make you sad. I love this place and have learned many useful things. I wish I had found CC before my first cruise but I muddled through somehow and actually discovered a few cool things myself that I could have already known had I found this place sooner.

Just remember to think for yourself as some folks have opinions that may not jibe with your real life experiences. Many things are relative. :) Just be sure to not be afraid to "look stupid" by asking questions. I always say I'd rather "look stupid" than "be stupid" and I've found that sometimes my "stupid" question was actually very smart after all.

What happen to us one cruise...

Going to Alaska a ten day..They overbooked

If we would change date for other..

would get a suite (got aft. penthouse) all money

in OBC but what not spent..got back in CASH

the last night. Also change it for a fifteen day

Hawaii Cruise. The Alaska cruise had got a great deal.

You know what the penthouse goes for.

We jumped on it and loved it!

If you get called for a move-over..take it if you can.

It might be the only time you get the offer.

Edited by Belle

Looks like part of the message is missing.

Which message?? :confused:

Cato. :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California Coastal

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May, 2014, LA - Vancouver one way

Sounds like the moveover offer that was left on our answering machine the day before our first Princess cruise in 2003. We were told something like this: don't worry you still have your cabin but your cruise is overbooked and if you are willing to take your cruise a few weeks later, you will get a full refund and an upgrade to a balcony.

Since we were already packed, didn't want to wait, hadn't paid full fare anyway (because of a "friends and family" fare, the three of us were going for the price of one fare), didn't mind that we were in the lowest category and weren't interested in a balcony...we didn't call them. We were driving to the port so I guess that's why flight arrangement credits weren't mentioned. But I'm sure when they didn't hear from us, the next phone number was called.

There was no mention about getting the money refunded to our credit card or issued as an OBC, so maybe that's what they're doing now.

We got a similar offer a few years ago but a 50 per cent offer. I don't remember if the email mentioned the method of refunding, but we couldn't change our sailing date anyway.

I imagine with the OP, he was given so much time (which should have been noted on the email) and then the next name was called.

We got an offer likes this once. They moved us to the following week. We were moved from a balcony cabin to an Aft Owners Suite with a huge balcony complete with all of the amenities. We also got a free portrait and $500 OBC. It was our 25th anniversary and we were renewing our vows on the ship. All of these extra's made it even more special.

I got a 50% moveover offer this January for Royal Princess and changed to a Regal Princess sailing for next year instead. Since there were other ships sailing from FLL on that date, I booked a cruise on another cruise line instead. It was an awesome cruise and I will sail on Regal in a balcony at a very good price plus 50% OBC back...you can't beat that. Wish they offer this to me every time I cruise...:D

• 2 years later...

I received an email from Princess saying:

"Princess is extending a special offer to guests booked on the Oct 1, 2016 Regal Princess sailing. Move to another sailing of your choice up to 10 days, anywhere in the world and receive:

* 100% cruise fare refund (as refundable onboard credit)

* Free Stateroom upgrade!

* Princess ez air program will be protected"

Of course I came to Cruise Critic to find out what the heck that meant, and even though I now get the gist of what it means, I still have questions. This sailing was for 7 days out of New York. I live in Southern California and bought airfare on my own. I didn't go through Princess EZAir because it was WAY more expensive. I don't see that they would reimburse me for that. I also don't like having them refund my cruise fare and hold it hostage until I complete the cruise I moved over to. It might not be for another 6 months or more. Needless to say, I didn't take them up on their offer. I have two more cruises booked with them out of Los Angeles, so I would be able to be more flexible on those cruises. Can you negotiate with them on things like this?

Edited by Snafooo

Yes, you can negotiate on these offers when you are on the phone with them. For instance, since you didn't book thru EZ Air, you can negotiate for up to $300 per person for airline change fees. If you have booked a balcony cabin on the current cruise, you can negotiate for a suite (not a mini) on the new cruise.

Bottom line, they can refuse your attempt at negotiations. What they will give is totally up to how badly they want your cabin. The above are examples of things I know they have given in the past. Also, if your current booking included things like the free beverage package or gratuities included, you can insist on those being included in the new cruise.

And yes, while the money is held as OBC, we did receive all of our unused OBC in a check less than a month after the cruise. Yes, that's real live money in my bank account. While I never expect to see one again, I do think in terms of contingency plans now--what would I do if they offered? This is especially important on a B2B or a cruise outside of the US--I might be perfectly happy keeping the air as I have it and spending some time on a land vacation!

My favorite move over story was from TracieABD (if she's reading this thread, I hope she chimes in). Not completely sure of all the details, but the move over offer included:

full refund

TWO cruises for free in suites!!

refundable OBC for what she had paid

air change fees (?)

There might have been more...it was an amazing deal. :eek:

My favorite move over story was from TracieABD (if she's reading this thread, I hope she chimes in). Not completely sure of all the details, but the move over offer included:

full refund

TWO cruises for free in suites!!

refundable OBC for what she had paid

air change fees (?)

There might have been more...it was an amazing deal. :eek:

Wow. An amazing offer! They must have really wanted badly her reserved cabin.

Did she take it?

Hi all,

Asking Princessmight be the way to go.

You may, and I can only say may, have to pay for the new cruise but get One hundred percent of the original booking as OBC, but I suspect it will basically be a free cruise.

same as the op minus the room upgrade, i already had a balcony guarantee, but this time they booked me in a specific room.

the only thing i'm bummed about is the excursion we were going to take in ensenada doesn't appear to be offered for this new cruise.