Celebrity dress code

Orch at Sea

They're not being punished at all. They knew (most likely before ever boarding) what the dress code is for the MDR each night. They made a decision that they didn't wish to dress for dinner that particular evening according to Celebrity's published dress code, so part of their decision included having dinner at an alternate venue (at least one of which offers the same menu as the MDR.) That’s hardly what could be called "punishment."

I agree! There is a DRESS CODE! Duh... If someone can't stand to dress appropriately, then either eat in the buffet, or stay home. Step #1: Read the rules. Step #2: Follow the rules. Pretty simple. Whew, I've got that out! :)

The whole dress code discussion is nuts. We will dress appropriately i.e. Me wearing a dress....nothing special just a dress, and my husband will bring a jacket....nothing special, just a jacket...purely because we enjoy sitting at very large tables meeting interesting people. We love the camaraderie of a large table and as our cruise is 17 nights, we don't want to miss it....but having to wear formal...ugh. We will be presentable and do what we must to enjoy our dinner, but that's it. I am bringing one 26 inch suitcase for me for the month that we are away and that's it. Everything has to fit.

Sorry....my little mini rant is over.

Nicola

I agree! There is a DRESS CODE! Duh... If someone can't stand to dress appropriately, then either eat in the buffet, or stay home. Step #1: Read the rules. Step #2: Follow the rules. Pretty simple. Whew, I've got that out! :)

Or the Specialty restaurants, Blu, bistro on five. Please remember formal night only applies to the MDR so stop suggesting it's the buffet or stay home :rolleyes:

. They made a decision that they didn't wish to dress for dinner that particular evening according to Celebrity's published dress code, so part of their decision included having dinner at an alternate venue (at least one of which offers the same menu as the MDR.) That’s hardly what could be called "punishment."

Which other restaurant (besides your room) has the same menu as the MDR?

They're not being punished at all. They knew (most likely before ever boarding) what the dress code is for the MDR each night. They made a decision that they didn't wish to dress for dinner that particular evening according to Celebrity's published dress code, so part of their decision included having dinner at an alternate venue (at least one of which offers the same menu as the MDR.) That’s hardly what could be called "punishment."

I know the dress code and do not wish to abide by it. I therefore have 4 options:

1) Ignore the dress code and go to the MDR - if they let me in then I lose nothing.

2) Go to a specialty restaurant and pay for the privilege

3) Book Aqua class and pay for the privilege

4) Eat at the buffet or get room service and have an inferior dining experience.

The last 3 options results in some form of monetary or other disadvantage. Is it any wonder that many people choose Option 1. "Punishment" is probably too strong a term to describe it but I do feel resentful that I have to pay to do the right thing while others just ignore the feelings of others and choose Option 1.

Also, which other venues offer the MDR menu on formal night?

Which other restaurant (besides your room) has the same menu as the MDR?
I know the dress code and do not wish to abide by it. I therefore have 4 options:

1) Ignore the dress code and go to the MDR - if they let me in then I lose nothing.

4) Eat at the buffet or get room service and have an inferior dining experience.

The last 3 options results in some form of monetary or other disadvantage. Is it any wonder that many people choose Option 1. "Punishment" is probably too strong a term to describe it but I do feel resentful that I have to pay to do the right thing while others just ignore the feelings of others and choose Option 1.

Yep, Cruise Junky has it right. You can get anything & everything available in the MDR via room service. Especially if you have a suite or at least a balcony, I disagree that it's an "inferior dining experience."

If you do feel it's inferior though, just remember, there's absolutely no discrimination. Every single guest has an equal opportunity to dine in the MDR each evening. All you have to do is respect the rules that the cruise line has set, and which you had full knowledge of long before you booked or boarded.

Yep, Cruise Junky has it right. You can get anything & everything available in the MDR via room service. Especially if you have a suite or at least a balcony, I disagree that it's an "inferior dining experience.".

It is most definitely inferior when you have 4 people trying to eat in a tiny cabin.

If you do feel it's inferior though, just remember, there's absolutely no discrimination. Every single guest has an equal opportunity to dine in the MDR each evening. All you have to do is respect the rules that the cruise line has set, and which you had full knowledge of long before you booked or boarded.

I see your point here but let me give you an analogy. Let's say I am a vegetarian. I would fully expect Celebrity to cater for my needs. However what if Celebrity told me that every cruise they have regular "Meat Feasts" in the MDR - no vegetables allowed! The alternative is to pay for a vegetarian specialty restaurant or head to the buffet. I think I would find it hard not to feel as if I were being discriminated against.

Sounds ludicrous I know, but to me the application of dress codes is equally ludicrous. If you are really having trouble understanding we casual-dressers then just treat us like vegetarians :)

So if every night was the same in the main dining room you would eat there every night of the cruise. You would never try any other venue. How unimaginative.

Perhaps I'd like to choose which nights I eat elsewhere.

But some people who are doing the right thing (i.e. those who avoid the MDR because they don't want to offend) are already being punished by having to pay for a specialty restaurant, or being banished to the buffet..

And they should have known that before they got on the ship, it is their choice....

Good points being made by both side of the debate......I'm still having difficulty with the notion of 'a vegetarian booking a table in a Steakhouse and then refusing to eat meat on arrival'? :eek:

I see your point here but let me give you an analogy. Let's say I am a vegetarian. I would fully expect Celebrity to cater for my needs. However what if Celebrity told me that every cruise they have regular "Meat Feasts" in the MDR - no vegetables allowed! The alternative is to pay for a vegetarian specialty restaurant or head to the buffet. I think I would find it hard not to feel as if I were being discriminated against.

:)

The analogy won't wash. We all know when we book what the guidelines for the vacation are. This would be like booking a 'clothing optional' cruise then wanting off the ship because everyone else is naked:eek:

The analogy won't wash. We all know when we book what the guidelines for the vacation are. This would be like booking a 'clothing optional' cruise then wanting off the ship because everyone else is naked:eek:

Hi,

Well, I'm gonna disagree with the above statement somewhat (and my post is not directed at you, but just the gist of the highlighted statement):)

I keep reading on here, and on the many dress code threads I am foolish enough to peruse :D..."that we all know", "should know", "its well publicized" etc...but as with many things in life, we all don't know...we all don't read everything we are provided or have access to; some folks who travel have never read the FAQ's of a certain cruise-line; or perused brochures; read documents etc. On a cruise on the Millie from Ensenada to Hawaii in 2012, there were people checking in at SD who had no idea they had to be bussed to Ensenada to board the cruise ship that was still sitting a hundred yards away from their view...should they have known ? Many of the questions asked on Cruise Critic (even by seasoned cruisers) are well documented in cruise line literature etc...yet still, folks don't know. Is not knowing a valid excuse ? Perhaps not...but why judge others ?

Let me use another travel related example...for those of you who travel by car in different states...do you know all the specific traffic laws of each state you drive thru ? If not, Why not ? Its well publicized; easy to find; can be requested in advance etc...and even further, ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse for not receiving a citation...so we should make every effort to know...but I know I don't, and I have driven in/thru 48 of the 50 states.

So lets not assume, as one poster stated: "those that chose not to participate think it is their job to try to get around the guidelines to prove a point and dumb down the formal experience for others."...unless we actually talked to those people and they specifically told us that was their intent...well, then we have no idea. We don't know if they are one of the unlucky many whose luggage was lost; if they truly had no idea formal clothes were required, and didn't pack any; if they have medical conditions that prevent/or require wearing certain clothing; if they talked to the Restaurant Mgr prior, and were allowed and welcomed in, and perhaps even reassured that fellow passengers would never be so rude as to avoid, ostracize, or judge them because of their dress.

I have no idea what other people wear in the MDR on formal night...as I pay no attention...I have no idea if Celebrity enforces the policy at the door...as I pay no attention...I don't care if Celebrity enforces the formal dress code in the MDR, because how people are dressed has no bearing on whether I have an enjoyable meal with my family and friends, and has no bearing on whether someone I might meet is a friend to be ! I follow the guidelines I know...and the guidelines that I live my life by...with respect and kindness guiding me. We are not talking about safety and life/death guidelines here...so lets be a little less judgmental... and allow Celebrity to set and enforce/or not enforce their guidelines as they see fit !

Enjoy...and do take the time to get to know people...for who they are !

Woody

Edited by rwr235

Hi,

...we all don't read everything we are provided or have access to; some folks who travel have never read the FAQ's of a certain cruise-line; or perused brochures; read documents etc.

.do you know all the specific traffic laws of each state you drive thru ? If not, Why not ? Its well publicized; easy to find; can be requested in advance etc...and even further, ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse for not receiving a citation...so we should make every effort to know...but I know I don't, and I have driven in/thru 48 of the 50 states.

Both if these arguments don't make it acceptable to not follow the rules. When one signs a contract, one acknowledges they have read its terms and conditions, part of which in Celebrity's case indicate the number of formal nights a on a cruise and what its reds code is. Sure we can just not read the stuff we sign out name to indicating that ere did in fact read it all, but we then have to take responsibility for that decision, in the case of formal nights and improper attire, the result of that decision is accepting that one will be eating in an alternate venue on that evening.

If I'm speeding thru Pennsylvania where the speed limit is 55 after leaving Ohio where it's 70, if I get stopped, I can't just say, oh well, "sorry officer, I didn't know about that, and I don't really care to follow that policy anyway, so excuse me, I'lll just continue on doing 70 MPH as I choose, after all it's MY car and I'll drive it anyway I like. Step aside and let me pass"

I know the dress code and do not wish to abide by it. I therefore have chosen to accept one of 4 options instead of booking on a line that does not have a Formal Wear Requirement:

I made a modification to your premise (in red) in order to make it factually more accurate.

And answer to your question, - Room Service. If you don't want it in your cabin, ask them to deliver it to a table someplace else on the ship, or if they can't do that, take your meal herself elsewhere to enjoy.

Edited by cle-guy

On the infrequent occasion when we do dress according to Hoyle and attend formal evening in the MDR, we do not get bent out of shape or consider our evening 'spoiled' or lessened because someone else is not dressed to code.

What's wrong with a polo shirt..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nothing, so long is it's worn under a jacket on formal nights if one wishes to dine in the MDR on those special evenings.

Hi,

Well, I'm gonna disagree with the above statement somewhat (and my post is not directed at you, but just the gist of the highlighted statement):)

I keep reading on here, and on the many dress code threads I am foolish enough to peruse :D..."that we all know", "should know", "its well publicized" etc...but as with many things in life, we all don't know...we all don't read everything we are provided or have access to; some folks who travel have never read the FAQ's of a certain cruise-line; or perused brochures; read documents etc. On a cruise on the Millie from Ensenada to Hawaii in 2012, there were people checking in at SD who had no idea they had to be bussed to Ensenada to board the cruise ship that was still sitting a hundred yards away from their view...should they have known ? Many of the questions asked on Cruise Critic (even by seasoned cruisers) are well documented in cruise line literature etc...yet still, folks don't know. Is not knowing a valid excuse ? Perhaps not...but why judge others ?

Let me use another travel related example...for those of you who travel by car in different states...do you know all the specific traffic laws of each state you drive thru ? If not, Why not ? Its well publicized; easy to find; can be requested in advance etc...and even further, ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse for not receiving a citation...so we should make every effort to know...but I know I don't, and I have driven in/thru 48 of the 50 states.

So lets not assume, as one poster stated: "those that chose not to participate think it is their job to try to get around the guidelines to prove a point and dumb down the formal experience for others."...unless we actually talked to those people and they specifically told us that was their intent...well, then we have no idea. We don't know if they are one of the unlucky many whose luggage was lost; if they truly had no idea formal clothes were required, and didn't pack any; if they have medical conditions that prevent/or require wearing certain clothing; if they talked to the Restaurant Mgr prior, and were allowed and welcomed in, and perhaps even reassured that fellow passengers would never be so rude as to avoid, ostracize, or judge them because of their dress.

I have no idea what other people wear in the MDR on formal night...as I pay no attention...I have no idea if Celebrity enforces the policy at the door...as I pay no attention...I don't care if Celebrity enforces the formal dress code in the MDR, because how people are dressed has no bearing on whether I have an enjoyable meal with my family and friends, and has no bearing on whether someone I might meet is a friend to be ! I follow the guidelines I know...and the guidelines that I live my life by...with respect and kindness guiding me. We are not talking about safety and life/death guidelines here...so lets be a little less judgmental... and allow Celebrity to set and enforce/or not enforce their guidelines as they see fit !

Enjoy...and do take the time to get to know people...for who they are !

Woody

Woody, there's a lot of difference in discussing a subject beforehand, when everyone knows exactly what the rules are, than once people are on board the ship. After boarding the ship, what you say is true and then no one knows what the circumstances are and at that point it's definitely Celebrity's business to enforce the dress code.

After cruising for many years, I can assure you there are very few people who don't know there are formal nights on the ship or have lost their luggage. As evidenced by these dress code threads, there are a number of people who are well informed but want to do as they please anyway. I can also say I've never seen anyone being disrespectful to someone who isn't dressed properly once on board the ship.

I think you would find that people who are respectful of the rules are also respectful of others.

Edited by Ma Bell

After cruising for many years, I can assure you there are very few people who don't know there are formal nights on the ship or have lost their luggage.

And I've read several stories on these boards about those without luggage being given clothing by Celebrity from the gift shop, lost and found, and even providing formal wear from their limited on board supply to those who requested it.

On my group cruises, we've had some show without formal wear, and we've kindly provided some of our extras from among the group to those who wanted to dine with us. It can be a good laugh actually and part of the fun. :D

I think the "lost luggage" issue with regard to the MDR is far overstated than the reality, and further, X does what it can to get those people into formal wear if they ask about it.

And I've read several stories on these boards about those without luggage being given clothing by Celebrity from the gift shop, lost and found, and even providing formal wear from their limited on board supply to those who requested it.

On my group cruises, we've had some show without formal wear, and we've kindly provided some of our extras from among the group to those who wanted to dine with us. It can be a good laugh actually and part of the fun. :D

I think the "lost luggage" issue with regard to the MDR is far overstated than the reality, and further, X does what it can to get those people into formal wear if they ask about it.

The lost luggage thing is overstated, there are probably very few but you never know what has happened, that is why I would never question anyone because I don't know the circumstances.

Case in point which I have mentioned before is a gentlemen who worked for the city of New York whose luggage was lost for the entire cruise. He sat next to us and was the nicest person you would ever want to meet. Problem he had was that he was extremely and Celebrity did not have any clothes that fit him. I remember specifically a couple of

"snobs" who stated that even though he did not get his luggage, he should not be seated in the MDR. At the time Celebrity had three dress codes however all he had was shorts from when he boarded the ship. I can tell you who I would rather spend time with on that cruise and it wasn't the snobbish ladies. Only point I'm making is you never know what the circumstances are and yes I agree with those that say this is rare but it does happen.

The lost luggage thing is overstated, there are probably very few but you never know what has happened, that is why I would never question anyone because I don't know the circumstances.

Case in point which I have mentioned before is a gentlemen who worked for the city of New York whose luggage was lost for the entire cruise. He sat next to us and was the nicest person you would ever want to meet. Problem he had was that he was extremely and Celebrity did not have any clothes that fit him. I remember specifically a couple of

"snobs" who stated that even though he did not get his luggage, he should not be seated in the MDR. At the time Celebrity had three dress codes however all he had was shorts from when he boarded the ship. I can tell you who I would rather spend time with on that cruise and it wasn't the snobbish ladies. Only point I'm making is you never know what the circumstances are and yes I agree with those that say this is rare but it does happen.

I get that stuff happens. For me, if I had no formalwear and didn't fit into appropriate clotting the ship had, I'd choose to dine elsewhere those evenings. The buffet 1 or 2 nights on a cruise isn't gonna kill me (neither would skipping a meal entirely...).

I travel extensively for work, and have had lost and delayed luggage. I used to have to meet often with Egyptian Government officials in Cairo and Luxor, and they are formal there. 110 degrees in the desert heat, and in dark suit, long sleeved chart and a tie. I arrived on an overnight flight with my shorts on, and no luggage. This trip it turned up 5 days later (other flights missing too, one flight, took 3 months to find it....)

I postponed my meetings scheduled the next day out of respect for the people I was meeting with until I could locate a new suit to wear, even though they are considered friends to me, I understand their culture and custom, and wanted to respect that custom.

We have cruised over half a year at sea, and have complied with the dress code every night, including formal nights.

It's just not that hard, folks.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl