Time question

Going on Allure in 10 days.

I'm not real sure how to ask to figure out what I mean. When I board the ship, it will be whatever time. For argument sake it's noon. Then when we leave the port in Florida it is 5pm and we are sailing away. I set my watch for whatever time it will be in Florida as we cruise out. Will my watch be correct for the whole trip or will we go thru different time zones?

2nd questions, What time will be sunset and sunrise? How can I figure that out. We are not late sleepers in the morning but I'd like to be up before sunrise to at least see it once if not more while cruising.

Will there be clocks on the ship in various places and or on the TV that will always be the correct time?

And for port days when we get off the ship. Will we know what time it is so we know what time to be back?

10 more days and I'm starting to freak out because I'm soooo excited and never done this before.

Thanks for all replies.:)

Edited by Annicruise2014
Ship name

Florida is on Daylight Savings Time at present. You will set your watch to the ship's clocks. If there is a time change during your itinerary for any port, it will be noted on the front page of the Cruise Compass and instructions on when to advance or set back your watch.

Instructions on debarkation and returning to the ship in the various ports of call will also be noted in the Cruise Compass. You usually have to be back on board 30 minutes prior to the published departure time.

The Cruise Compass is your guide throughout your cruise and it's a good idea to keep it with you during the day.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by cruisenfever

I'm not real sure how to ask to figure out what I mean. When I board the ship, it will be whatever time. For argument sake it's noon. Then when we leave the port in Florida it is 5pm and we are sailing away. I set my watch for whatever time it will be in Florida as we cruise out. Will my watch be correct for the whole trip or will we go thru different time zones?

2nd questions, What time will be sunset and sunrise? How can I figure that out. We are not late sleepers in the morning but I'd like to be up before sunrise to at least see it once if not more while cruising.

Will there be clocks on the ship in various places and or on the TV that will always be the correct time?

And for port days when we get off the ship. Will we know what time it is so we know what time to be back?

10 more days and I'm starting to freak out because I'm soooo excited and never done this before.

You would always stay on "ship's time", so I don't know of any case where you would ever need to reset your watch once you leave port, even if you pass through multiple time zones. The only exceptions would be once in March and once in November when we all set the clocks ahead or behind one hour.

As far as sunrise and sunset times, those are listed in the Compass, but if you want to plan ahead there are several online sites that list world-wide times, including all of the ports that Allure sails to. You can then estimate what they will be on sea days as well.

Edited by TheInnocentAge

You will be on ship time, which is what the time is in Florida when you leave. Every video board (they are located at the entrance to every elevator room) will have the correct time. There will also be a few clocks up on deck as well as a couple in the Promenade.

As for sunset/sunrise, it'll be in the daily Compass, but the captain also announces it daily during his/her noon address.

For Caribbean cruises, the ship typically stays on Florida time even though it may travel through different time zones. Your Cruise Compass will have instructions if there are any time changes while aboard. The only time you need to worry is if you are doing an independent excursion not booked through the cruise line. Otherwise, everything else will by synchronized.

You can use an app on your phone that will show you the local sunrise/sunset time based on your phone's GPS (you don't need an Internet connection for this, as long as you have install the app prior to cruising).

I believe they will list the sunrise and sunset times in the cruise compass.

Be wary about smart phones. They may auto-update to local time, and not reflect the cruise ship's time.

This is why I am opting for a watch for cruising. I haven't worn one in at least 20 years. Thanks :)

What time will be sunset and sunrise? How can I figure that out.

Sunrise/sunset will occur as the sun rises and falls, respectively, each day unless RCCL corporate decides to update your cruise to MSW (My Sunrise Waking), and in that case you will have to schedule your individual sunrises at least one hour in advance of when you would like to arise....

Sorry, I couldn't resist this....;););)

Edited by mbjboyle

to mbjboyle:

No help whatsoever :p LOL. I did enjoy your video. Cool stick view. :)

Thanks! As others have noted, the sunrise/set times will be printed on the first page of the Cruise Compass. Have a great cruise!!!

You would always stay on "ship's time", so I don't know of any case where you would ever need to reset your watch once you leave port, even if you pass through multiple time zones. The only exceptions would be once in March and once in November when we all set the clocks ahead or behind one hour.

While the sentence above in red is normally true for Allure cruises, this does not apply to all. I see in your signature that you are on Vision later this year. The recent cruisers have reported that Vision DOES change times to match ship time to port time.

The general rule of thumb lately for Royal has been ships stay on whatever time the port you depart from is on, but it is not a 100% given.

While the sentence above in red is normally true for Allure cruises, this does not apply to all. I see in your signature that you are on Vision later this year. The recent cruisers have reported that Vision DOES change times to match ship time to port time.

The general rule of thumb lately for Royal has been ships stay on whatever time the port you depart from is on, but it is not a 100% given.

OK, I had not heard that about Vision, thanks for the heads-up.

It really depends upon the captain and the ship if you actually change to local time or not. The time the ship adheres to is called Ship-time. Ship-time may be different from local time, that depends upon the Captain and the ship. So in your scenario, while you are in FLL you are in Eastern Daylight time. You may travel to Cozumel which is Central time. Some ships will change to central time (usually at 2:00AM but they will tell you to set your watch before you go to bed) others will remain on Eastern time. If your ship changes time, it will be published in the Compass. There are clocks all over the ship and on your phone in your stateroom. These show the correct ship time. Obviously it is important to know your ship time because when they say be back on by 4:30, that is Ship time NOT local time.

I’ve grown accustomed to not wearing a watch and use my cell phone in real life, but when you are in the Caribbean, it is not typical to have you cell phone on, so bring a watch! I picked up a cheapie waterproof dive watch on Amazon.com for around $30.00. I have lots of friends when cruising because I’m usually the only one that knows what time it is!

Sunrise and Sunset times are published daily in the Cruise compass on the front page. Watching the sun rise from the Lido deck is one of the most spectacular sites I have ever seen.

Enjoy your cruise. It’s painful for me to have to wait for my next one in October!

First off, relax. You have no idea what you are about to experience. The Allure is beyond magnificent.

I believe we are on the same cruise. You might want to check out our .

Don't worry about the time....Bring a watch (don't use your cell phone for time ashore....it will show local time!) in case the ship isn't on the same time as any of your ports....you will always go by "ship's time". There are clocks everywhere....always make sure your watch matches the ship clock before you go ashore.

the ships time is local time.. when the ship leaves at 6pm, its six pm local time. it is not based on anything else but local time..its just like airplanes. all times listed on tickets are local time to the airport in question..this is not a difficult issue..local time is the correct time..

Be aware, if you are in St. Martin, and local time is 2:00 PM but the ship time is 3:00 PM, you better not pay any attention to local time. Local time is totally irrelevant.

Ship time is all that matters.

Edited by LA_CA_GAL

the ships time is local time.. when the ship leaves at 6pm, its six pm local time. it is not based on anything else but local time..its just like airplanes. all times listed on tickets are local time to the airport in question..this is not a difficult issue..local time is the correct time..
You are correct that what you say might be the worst advice ever. Ship time is often local time be not always. I have been on many cruises where the ship was NOT on local time.

Thom

but when they tell you to board by 430, its always local time, to avoid confusion.....just like the airlines. all their itineraries say ship leaves at such and such time. there would be mass confusion if you had two different times, thats why its always local time to where the ship is docked

To be clear, this is upon embarkation. When you first board the ship.

After that, throw out all relevance to local time. The ONLY time thereafter is ship time.

but when they tell you to board by 430, its always local time, to avoid confusion...
I can't say that you have not seen this, but in my eighty cruises I have always seen boarding time given in ship time.
Be aware, if you are in St. Martin, and local time is 2:00 PM but the ship time is 3:00 PM, you better not pay any attention to local time. Local time is totally irrelevant

so local time is 2 and the ship is 3. you get back to the ship at 500 local time, which, according to you is 6 ship , you would not make the departure time of six..its always local time

Okay, you've totally lost me now. Is local time totally irrelevant, or is it always local time? It makes no sense for the ship to tell you to keep your watch set to ship time, but then give you an on-board time in a different time zone than the one your watch is set to.

BTW Sint Maaten is always on Atlantic Standard time, which is the same as EDT or one hour ahead of EST. If you are on a cruise out of Florida on a cruise that doesn't change from EST, local time is one hour ahead (not behind) EST (eg 6 AST is 5 EST, and you got back to the ship an hour early, not an hour late). Cozumel is generally an hour behind Eastern time, which is why that port is noted for people missing the ship.

Be aware, if you are in St. Martin, and local time is 2:00 PM but the ship time is 3:00 PM, you better not pay any attention to local time. Local time is totally irrelevant

so local time is 2 and the ship is 3. you get back to the ship at 500 local time, which, according to you is 6 ship , you would not make the departure time of six..its always local time

You are incredibly wrong. Local time means nothing, zip, nada.. Ship time in St. Martin (or any port) is all that matters.

If St. Martin time is 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00, or 6:00 or whatever time the St. Martin locals want, and ship time is 4:00 you had better be on ship time.

The ship does not care one lick about what time the locals in St. Martin have. The ship will sail on ship time.

On our Oasis cruise last year and our Freedom cruise two weeks ago, both ships stayed on Florida time. So when we were in Grand Cayman and they said the last tender leaves at 3:15, that referred to SHIP (Florida) time. Local time was 2:15.

When we were in Cozumel and they said be on board by 6:30, that was also SHIP (Florida) time. Anyone who showed up at 6:30 local time may have seen the top of the stacks on the horizon.

I can't say that you have not seen this, but in my eighty cruises I have always seen boarding time given in ship time.Okay, you've totally lost me now. Is local time totally irrelevant, or is it always local time? It makes no sense for the ship to tell you to keep your watch set to ship time, but then give you an on-board time in a different time zone than the one your watch is set to.

BTW Sint Maaten is always on Atlantic Standard time, which is the same as EDT or one hour ahead of EST. If you are on a cruise out of Florida on a cruise that doesn't change from EST, local time is one hour ahead (not behind) EST (eg 6 AST is 5 EST, and you got back to the ship an hour early, not an hour late). Cozumel is generally an hour behind Eastern time, which is why that port is noted for people missing the ship.

Do yourself a favor and go by ship time.

NEVER NEVER NEVER local time.

And you are correct, if it is 5:00 Cozumel time (which is totally irrelevant) and ship time is 6:00 (which is the only time to go by), you better get back to the ship at ship time.

just got off the phone with Royal. the arriving leaving of Ports is always local time. The ships clock changes time zones just like your phone. Sorry...next time to you take a cruise. just look at your phone for local time and watch as the ship pulls away.. same as the itineray states..

ps. have you ever heard an announcement onboard saying the two times are different.. I have never....

when you make your dinner reservations...is it ship time? or local time...

I will say it again, as have others.

YOU ARE INCREDIBLY WRONG!

Please stop. Local time means NOTHING. The ship will ALWAYS sail on SHIP TIME.

just got off the phone with Royal. the arriving leaving of Ports is always local time. The ships clock changes time zones just like your phone. Sorry...next time to you take a cruise. just look at your phone for local time and watch as the ship pulls away.. same as the itineray states..

ps. have you ever heard an announcement onboard saying the two times are different.. I have never....

when you make your dinner reservations...is it ship time? or local time...

I just got off a SHIP 10 days ago. The ship NEVER changed times.

The same thing happened on my cruise last year.

Will that ALWAYS happen? No.

But, here's the rules...

If the ship DOESN'T change to keep with the time zones, local time means nothing, use SHIP time.

If the ship DOES change to keep with the time zones, local time is the same as the ship, so use SHIP time.