It's a Cruise Ship.......

sail7seas

Dear Optimist, Pessimist, and Realist, While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Sincerely, The Opportunist

:D I was drinking a glass of tea when I read that!!! :D;)Had to mop up my floor.. Fortunately I missed my keyboard!!!;):)

At work we never permitted our Agents to drink or eat at their desks just for that reason.. LOL

I've been noticing lately how serious so many of our discussions seem to get here.

When was the last time we had a side splitting, LOL, ROFL, thread where we remembered this whole CC Forum and our discussions revolve around the fact we all love Cruise Ships.

We lose sight of the fun, the laughter, the excess, the freedom from our everyday responsibilities.......... for Pete's Sake, IT'S A CRUISE SHIP!!!

Laugh a little too loud, drink a little too much, dance more than you ever do, have FUN! Stop analyzing, for at least a brief period, is the food hot enough? cold enough? did the stewards smile enough? did I wait too long for my drink? did someone have more mariner's stars than me? is someone in a better cabin? a worse cabin? was the tour exactly 4 hours or did it end at 3 hours and 50 minutes? You get the point.

Go, have fun, enjoy and hopefully we can all learn to relax a little more and just enjoy being on a beautiful cruise ship with people knocking themselves out to give us the best cruise possible. LET them. BE receptive to their efforts but we have to do our part.

We have to remember, it's a CRUISE SHIP and its reason for existing is for us to have fun and enjoy.

Off my soapbox. :o

Very true, thank you for your post.

We always appreciate that we can have cruising holidays, when so many in this world will never have the opportunity to do so.

Sail - Thanks for starting this thread. I think sometimes "some of us" return from a cruise and say "what went wrong that I can post about?" I've probably fallen into that trap in the past. In the future I shall return from a cruise and tell the CC community how great my cruise was - and how thankful we are to be able to do these cruises. I'm not saying we shouldn't post what went wrong or what we saw that we didn't like ... but I think we should also try to post what was right and what we liked!

Thank you!

I am a CC Voyeur who is taking my first cruise ever on Saturday on the Westerdam. There is so much great information on this site and the Roll Call, but lately so much negativity.

It scares us Newbies!

If you go expecting to have a wonderful time, I am confident that you will. We were on the same ship a few weeks ago, and there was so much to enjoy. Do take the galley tour and backstage tour if the workings of things interest you, I found both fascinating. I enjoyed several of the "professional" shows, but the crew show was my favorite, and had delightful conversations with a number of the participants over the next couple days.

Happy sailing.

Er, but OP can dismiss other people's big deals, which may include, but are not limited to, "is the food hot enough? cold enough? did the stewards smile enough? did I wait too long for my drink? did someone have more mariner's stars than me? is someone in a better cabin? a worse cabin? was the tour exactly 4 hours or did it end at 3 hours and 50 minutes?"

We each have our "big deal." If yours is the sidebar in the Neptune Lounge on the Westerdam, that's cool. But don't belittle my "big deal" that I would like my food to be hot.

I couldn't agree more. To dismiss other passenger's experiences as inconsequential and yet vehemently defend your own as a big deal is offensive, IMO. Perhaps the reason that these things are mentioned so often on this forum is that they are occurring much too frequently on the ships?

cbr663

I couldn't agree more. To dismiss other passenger's experiences as inconsequential and yet vehemently defend your own as a big deal is offensive, IMO. Perhaps the reason that these things are mentioned so often on this forum is that they are occurring much too frequently on the ships?

No need to be offended. Kindly see my underline below.

Thank you...

Er, but OP can dismiss other people's big deals, which may include, but are not limited to, "is the food hot enough? cold enough? did the stewards smile enough? did I wait too long for my drink? did someone have more mariner's stars than me? is someone in a better cabin? a worse cabin? was the tour exactly 4 hours or did it end at 3 hours and 50 minutes?"

We each have our "big deal." If yours is the sidebar in the Neptune Lounge on the Westerdam, that's cool. But don't belittle my "big deal" that I would like my food to be hot.

Thanks, Seago. I know what you mean. :)

Seems there is always 'one'. :D :rolleyes: Oh well !

I think the number of positive comments here indicate we all are tired of the negativity. Let's try to lighten it up a bit.

I doubt anyone of us will experience perfection and by all means say the things you think could be improved but find some nice and fun things to say as well. In the whole scheme, it simply feels better to smile than frown and most of us have enough pain from real life situations to cope with. Let's try and keep this at least a 'somewhat' happy place. No need always focus on what was wrong. Let's enjoy what was great.

I am very appreciative for the happy comments. They feel good. :)

Kindly reread my post #54. See what I have underlined above.

Thank you.

Could you please explain what "Er" at the start of your post means. I see it posted here from time to time but never know what it means.

Edited by sail7seas

....................................Could you please explain what "Er" at the start of your post means. I see it posted here from time to time but never know what it means.

1. "Emergency Room"

2. "Indicating hesitation"

Me thinks it's not Door numero uno in this context ;)

SNIP

Kindly reread my post #54. See what I have underlined above.

Thank you.

Could you please explain what "Er" at the start of your post means. I see it posted here from time to time but never know what it means.

Sail.. I'm not a linguist but believe it's a hesitation in speech when someone wants to make a statement which doesn't completely agree with a previous point...Or wants to show another side to the story, &/or has a difference of opinion, such as..

Person 1) My Dad does not allow me to make my own decisions!

Person 2) Er, that's because he doesn't want you to make the same mistakes he's made...

I sometimes use it in conversation when I wish to make another point..

Edited by serendipity1499

1. "Emergency Room"

2. "Indicating hesitation"

Me thinks it's not Door numero uno in this context ;)

Sail.. I'm not a linguist but believe it's a hesitation in speech when someone wants to make a statement which doesn't completely agree with a previous point...Or wants to show another side to the story, &/or has a difference of opinion, such as..

Person 1) My Dad does not allow me to make my own decisions!

Person 2) Er, that's because he doesn't want you to make the same mistakes he's made...

I sometimes use it in conversation when I wish to make another point..

Thanks. :)

I don't think I've ever heard it spoken but have noticed it written here from time to time.

Dear Sail, Thanks so much for the wonderful post. As my CJ says "Any day this side of the grass is a good day" and I will add especially if you are fortunate enough to be spending it cruising. After nearly losing him 12 years ago we are enjoying any chance we have to spend time together whether it is sitting by a campfire or on a cruise ship deck. We feel so blessed to get the second chance to enjoy life. Only a few years left to work for me and hopefully we can cruise more!!:)

Sail, as I'm sure you can see, the vast majority of posters to this thread are glad you started it and understand just what you are saying and agree with you.

Some would say the sky is green when you tell them it's blue. That's just the nature of some people.

Don't let the turkeys get you down!!:D

Sail, as I'm sure you can see, the vast majority of posters to this thread are glad you started it and understand just what you are saying and agree with you.

Some would say the sky is green when you tell them it's blue. That's just the nature of some people.

I don't believe that posters are disagreeing. Several posters have simply try to point out that the "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy is not readily embraced by all.

I don't believe that posters are disagreeing. Several posters have simply try to point out that the "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy is not readily embraced by all.

And we have a winner! :)

We have the opinion that you have to work really hard to not enjoy a cruise. For my part, anytime I can sit & have my food brought to me, (and good food, too), and not have to do dishes, and have my living area cleaned every day, and see amazing views from the ship.....what's not to like??

EXACTLY RIGHT---how can anyone not enjoy having good food brought to them without having to shop, cook or wash dishes, having the cabin cleaned by someone else every day, sending all the laundry out and having it returned clean and neatly folded or pressed, having our choice of evening entertainment and of course the amazing views plus not having to unpack more than once while visiting fabulous ports.:)

If there is a real problem, report it to the front office and they will bend over backwards to fix it ,if possible. Now, for any minor inconveniences please---"don't sweat the small stuff":cool:

And we have another winner.

Thanks, Ham. :)

I've been noticing lately how serious so many of our discussions seem to get here.

When was the last time we had a side splitting, LOL, ROFL, thread where we remembered this whole CC Forum and our discussions revolve around the fact we all love Cruise Ships.

We lose sight of the fun, the laughter, the excess, the freedom from our everyday responsibilities.......... for Pete's Sake, IT'S A CRUISE SHIP!!!

Laugh a little too loud, drink a little too much, dance more than you ever do, have FUN! Stop analyzing, for at least a brief period, is the food hot enough? cold enough? did the stewards smile enough? did I wait too long for my drink? did someone have more mariner's stars than me? is someone in a better cabin? a worse cabin? was the tour exactly 4 hours or did it end at 3 hours and 50 minutes? You get the point.

Go, have fun, enjoy and hopefully we can all learn to relax a little more and just enjoy being on a beautiful cruise ship with people knocking themselves out to give us the best cruise possible. LET them. BE receptive to their efforts but we have to do our part.

We have to remember, it's a CRUISE SHIP and its reason for existing is for us to have fun and enjoy.

Off my soapbox. :o

Hi Sail,

Understand your point of view--maybe we'll see more fun threads started we can all chime in on. However, yes there's a however--we enjoy reading all reviews, positive and negative. We gleam something from each and there are people who have truly experienced a bad cruise. We experienced a ship we really disliked, but we're jumping right back on that bad girl next year because for us itinerary trumps ship.

Maybe what is needed is for people to think of the day when they are unable to cruise. Some of those negatives might well turn into very funny and memorable moments they'd be willing to do again if they could.

Thanks Sail for this post. It needed saying and you said it well. The negativity had me terrified about the potential for disaster on my last cruise aboard the Zuiderdam. As it turned out, it was one of the best ever (aren't they all?). But, that taught me a lesson. First, I backed away from the boards this time and when I did read negativity, I decided not to make it my own. I know things can go wrong and if they do I'll request they be fixed, politely and with a smile.

As to the rest, I've adopted a philosophy that's been circulating on Facebook, supposedly an old Polish proverb, or some such.

"Not my Circus. Not my Monkeys."

It's similar to a philosophy I have tried to live by, especially here at work.

"Never own a problem that doesn't belong to you."

Happy sailing to you all. I won't do a live report from the Rotterdam (almost here!!!) but I'll try to keep a journal while I'm on board and report back later. I am going to buy a small internet package so I can check in with DH and check to see if there are any bills he needs to pay!

We only care that the ship does not sink, that it goes where it is scheduled to go, our cabin is clean and we have working plumbing and A/C, and that the ship is well maintained in it's appearance. These are the basics that we expect all cruise lines/ships to provide. If they fail on a regular basis to provide this, we simply choose another ship. Not a big deal since there are so many great ships and cruise lines out there.

After that the rest is noise level for us. Service and food can be, and is, variable and subject to individual tastes. We are now used to sub standard entertainment so when we get something halfway decent we think it is wonderful. We have had good and bad service/food on most cruise lines. It is part of the experience if you travel frequently.

Don't really care about the other cruisers-what they do, how they dress, and all that stuff. We cannot control it so we would do not let it detract one iota from enjoying our cruise experience. Ship is big enough for everyone.

Edited by iancal

I want to add my thanks for starting this thread. My next cruise is still 14 months away (never mind I just off the Veendam a month ago). And with the complaining and attacking of others I was considering a CC break. Posts like this are making me reconsider.

Heck, when I'm on vacation, even my worst cruise was better than being at work. Or a Carribean cruise where it rained 7 out of 10 days didn't get me down.

And there are several people out there I would love to cruise with. I've learned so much on these boards.

We only care that the ship does not sink, that it goes where it is scheduled to go, our cabin is clean and we have working plumbing and A/C, and that the ship is well maintained in it's appearance. These are the basics that we expect all cruise lines/ships to provide. If they fail on a regular basis to provide this, we simply choose another ship. Not a big deal since there are so many great ships and cruise lines out there.

After that the rest is noise level for us. Service and food can be, and is, variable and subject to individual tastes. We are now used to sub standard entertainment so when we get something halfway decent we think it is wonderful. We have had good and bad service/food on most cruise lines. It is part of the experience if you travel frequently.

Don't really care about the other cruisers-what they do, how they dress, and all that stuff. We cannot control it so we would do not let it detract one iota from enjoying our cruise experience. Ship is big enough for everyone.

Good way to approach most things in life. Like "magandab" also - not my circus, not my monkeys.

So much here on CC is people chiming in on a poster's comments -

e.g. my A/C worked on that ship three years ago, so you must be wrong that yours didn't work, my food was hot, so you must be wrong that yours was cold, you gave your bags direct to a steward so that's why your bags were lost, etc. = all negative and blaming and not really informative.

In an ideal world on CC, posters would respond to questions with only positive information to guide the newbie, and reviews would be broad in scope with good and bad given honestly and in perspective. I have stated before, I want to hear CURRENT comments from folks who have been on THAT ship recently, not five years ago on another ship, as those views are not pertinent. Too many times a poster is slammed for asking a question and it never gets answered properly. Let's all try to be more positive.