To 'Kilt' or not to Kilt, that is the question

My kilt is the first thing that gets packed for every cruise.

Next cruise is Canada/New England in September. I may wear it ashore once or twice. :)

Our cruise is HAL September 20th Montreal return. When is yours?

Because we must fly to ports the outfit is almost equivalent in weight to ALL my stuff. This Montreal port is our one option for a no fly cruise.

1of4 what a handsome duo your husband and son are!

Ruth

Because we must fly to ports the outfit is almost equivalent in weight to ALL my stuff. This Montreal port is our one option for a no fly cruise.

Ruth

All their Scottish gear, except footwear, went in one wheeled carryon which was just on weight. I was afraid of losing any of it as it costs much more to replace than insurance would pay us. I use a kilt roll and rolled both on one. Not one question from immigration or security.

ry%3D400

Gail,

I'd never heard of a kilt roll, but just gogled it. It wouldn't be needed for this drive to embarkation but it's something to consider for the future.

You're right for sure -- no general insurance would cover even a portion of the replacement cost.

I guess I'm hesitating on pushing Bob because both HAL and Celebrity have really relaxed formal nights enforcement. He's shy in his 'peacock' role unless it's a family event. The one time he brought it -- a 30 day cruise -- our cabin steward quietly commented, "Nice dress sir."

Great family picture,

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

If he is entitled to wear one (by which I mean of recent Scottish decent) then why not, but remember a lot of the tartans are made up as we English suppressed the wearing of tartans and many date only from the 19th century.

If he is entitled to wear one (by which I mean of recent Scottish decent) then why not, but remember a lot of the tartans are made up as we English suppressed the wearing of tartans and many date only from the 19th century.

He's the real thing even though his family has been in one of the two north american colonies for several generations. He wears the tartan of the paternal line but could I guess choose the maternal line too.

Ruth

All their Scottish gear, except footwear, went in one wheeled carryon which was just on weight. I was afraid of losing any of it as it costs much more to replace than insurance would pay us. I use a kilt roll and rolled both on one. Not one question from immigration or security.

ry%3D400

Lovely picture of you all, Gail.

Boy has Capt. Rowden ever lost a lot of hair since I sailed with him. That was the year of the swine flue in Mexico. He was new to HAL then.

Be sure o pack the kilts, etc. for the Westerdam cruise.

All I can say is, "Och, aye, laddie! Shew yer clan colours proudly!"
Anyone who derides their sartorial choice should be addressed to the nickname the German troops had for their fierce Highlander opponents: "the Ladies from Hell"!:cool:
And for punishment the scoffers should be subjected to the soothing sounds of beginning bagpipes students. :eek:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]But of course he should wear the kilt! He will look smashing. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='capncarp']And for punishment the scoffers should be subjected to the soothing sounds of beginning bagpipes students. :eek:[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Ouch. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Been There, Planning That']Our cruise is HAL September 20th Montreal return. When is yours?

[B][U]1of4[/U][/B] what a handsome duo your husband and son are!

Ruth[/QUOTE]

New York to Quebec on Sept. 14.

We chose that one because we were posted to the Consulate in NYC for four years and it's about time we revisited our old stomping grounds. :)

[quote name='iancal']The challenge is packing them. They are heavy, and full regalia takes up a good deal of room. My father wore won for years but stopped travelling, other than driving trips, because of this.[/QUOTE]

It's only because we can drive to the port that we're even considering it.

Ruth

Q: How did the dyslexic Scotsman get into trouble at the rest stop?
A: Because he thought the sign on the rest room door said "Laddies"

Innocent young lass: "That's a handsome sporran, and a marvelous kilt! But what's worn beneath it?"
Kilted Scotsman: Why, nothing is "worn", lassie-- everything underneath is in fine working order!

And one of my favorites, told to me by a Scot:

Q: Why do Scotsmen wear kilts?
A: 'Cause sheep can hear zippers!

Up the Scots! Up the kilt! :p Edited by capncarp