ID for child 16 and over

denmarks

Just need the answer to add to my knowledge bank.:D If a child 16 or over is traveling without a passport what type of photo ID can be used? All I can think of is a state drivers license or ID and that would take as long to get as a passport. I know they also need an official birth certificate. Under 16 needs no photo ID.

Just need the answer to add to my knowledge bank.:D If a child 16 or over is traveling without a passport what type of photo ID can be used? All I can think of is a state drivers license or ID and that would take as long to get as a passport. I know they also need an official birth certificate. Under 16 needs no photo ID.

For a US citizen on a closed loop cruise aged 16 and over the minimum requirement is a birth certificate and a government-issued photo ID.

Any state or federal government issued photo ID will work. State ID, driver's license, military ID, military dependent ID are all I can think of.

For a US citizen on a closed loop cruise aged 16 and over the minimum requirement is a birth certificate and a government-issued photo ID.

Any state or federal government issued photo ID will work. State ID, driver's license, military ID, military dependent ID are all I can think of.

I saw one question where the family was leaving in 3 weeks. Parents had passports. What can a 16 year old use if he has no drivers license yet?

I saw one question where the family was leaving in 3 weeks. Parents had passports. What can a 16 year old use if he has no drivers license yet?

As I said, the only things that I know of are the driver's license, state ID, military ID, military dependent ID. Also, federal employees get photo IDs that can be accepted.

I'd say any child that doesn't want to get (or can't get) a driver's license needs to get a state ID. There are many places that require photo ID (official ones) any more, it's just the safe thing to do.

DMV issues non DL government issued Picture IDs. takes less time to get it issued thatnit does to wait in line.

What about school ID? Schools are run by the state making it "government" ID.

My kids used their learners permits and I have read of public school ID's being used.

Well, in our state learner's permits specifically state not good for ID purposes.

I have read that some school IDs have been used, depending if they actually have a birthdate on them. Not all schools put birthdates on IDs.

Here's what I don't understand:

I had my first passport, at age 7. In those days it was combined with a photo of me and my mother (a single passport). After that it was all about me, and they expired much sooner back then (4 years?). I still have all my expired passports.

I do not understand why there is this inhibition of folks getting passports for themselves or children. If you can afford the cruise / flight, then get the passport.

We get all these questions across various forums about passports. A USA passport is the #1 way to identify yourself internationally. Sure, they are not cheap, but neither is dining at the "chef's table" on some ships.

Right now, a USA passport lasts for ten years.

I grew up having a passport (I am now 55), and I am not sure why this is an issue for some.

I don't even fly domestic US airlines without using my passport for ID, even though I could use my drivers license with TSA.

When I was working at an event at the Rose Bowl, selling beer, I had to take a special alcohol training class in order to get authorized to do so. We were told that school IDs are not acceptable to prove age. I know we're talking about minor kids for this thread, but I would not assume that a high school ID would always be considered as legal for ID for something like a cruise.

When my daughter went to her her college entrance exams, she took her passport to use (she's about to turn 17, but hasn't started taking driving lesson yet). She probably could have used her school ID for the tests, even though it doesn't have her birthdate on it, but I wouldn't try to use it for travel.

BTW, when a 16 year old gets a passport, it'll be good for ten years.

When I was working at an event at the Rose Bowl' date=' selling beer, I had to take a special alcohol training class in order to get authorized to do so. We were told that school IDs are not acceptable to prove age. I know we're talking about minor kids for this thread, but I would not assume that a high school ID would always be considered as legal for ID for something like a cruise.

When my daughter went to her her college entrance exams, she took her passport to use (she's about to turn 17, but hasn't started taking driving lesson yet). She probably could have used her school ID for the tests, even though it doesn't have her birthdate on it, but I wouldn't try to use it for travel.

BTW, when a 16 year old gets a passport, it'll be good for ten years.[/quote']

The ID isn't presented to prove age, it is presented to prove identity. All the DHS regulations require is that it be a photo ID issued by a government entity.

Here's what I don't understand:

I had my first passport, at age 7. In those days it was combined with a photo of me and my mother (a single passport). After that it was all about me, and they expired much sooner back then (4 years?). I still have all my expired passports.

I do not understand why there is this inhibition of folks getting passports for themselves or children. If you can afford the cruise / flight, then get the passport.

We get all these questions across various forums about passports. A USA passport is the #1 way to identify yourself internationally. Sure, they are not cheap, but neither is dining at the "chef's table" on some ships.

Right now, a USA passport lasts for ten years.

I grew up having a passport (I am now 55), and I am not sure why this is an issue for some.

I don't even fly domestic US airlines without using my passport for ID, even though I could use my drivers license with TSA.

I certainly can't speak for everyone but personally I haven't gotten a passport because there are alternatives to use for the types of travel that I am able to do and the risks of not having a passport are very low. Up until this point the only types of international travel that we are able to do is via closed loop cruises. We cannot travel anywhere at short notice, much less overseas; the risk of us having to return home in the middle of a cruise is very low; the risk of missing the ship is very low.

Next year that is going to change as DW and I are planning a trip to Germany and of course prior to going we will obtain passports. If we had obtained passports back when we first started cruising they would be half way to their expiration before we actually needed them. Essentially, passports are nice to have for a closed loop cruise but they are not a requirement.

I certainly can't speak for everyone but personally I haven't gotten a passport because there are alternatives to use for the types of travel that I am able to do and the risks of not having a passport are very low. Up until this point the only types of international travel that we are able to do is via closed loop cruises. We cannot travel anywhere at short notice, much less overseas; the risk of us having to return home in the middle of a cruise is very low; the risk of missing the ship is very low.

Next year that is going to change as DW and I are planning a trip to Germany and of course prior to going we will obtain passports. If we had obtained passports back when we first started cruising they would be half way to their expiration before we actually needed them. Essentially, passports are nice to have for a closed loop cruise but they are not a requirement.

If I were you and were planning a trip to Germany next I would be working on getting my passport pretty soon. 1) I believe you need it to make your airline reservations and 2) Remember back when there were gov. cuts and temp. layoffs and people were on here complaining that they were having a hard time/long waits for their passports? Well the way our country is run now (being in debt) who knows when the same thing will happen.

Good luck and I hope you and your DW have a wonderful trip to Germany.

If I were you and were planning a trip to Germany next I would be working on getting my passport pretty soon. 1) I believe you need it to make your airline reservations and 2) Remember back when there were gov. cuts and temp. layoffs and people were on here complaining that they were having a hard time/long waits for their passports? Well the way our country is run now (being in debt) who knows when the same thing will happen.

Good luck and I hope you and your DW have a wonderful trip to Germany.

Thanks for the tips. Once the plans are finalized I will be applying for the passports in plenty of time. Edited to add that I found nothing indicating that a passport is required at the time of booking so if you have something that does say that is required I would appreciate seeing it.

Edited by sparks1093

they are not issued by a state government agency so are not considered valid IDs for this type of purpose. the school district is local, not state run.

Thanks for the tips. Once the plans are finalized I will be applying for the passports in plenty of time. Edited to add that I found nothing indicating that a passport is required at the time of booking so if you have something that does say that is required I would appreciate seeing it.

honestly it depends. i have had issues completing an online purchase of plane tickets until I entered the passport number, and on other times I have been okay clicking on the button that said I will enter the PP#s at a later date.

I don't always have immediate access to DH's passport. and I am weird in that I don't want to write down the number and expiration date anywhere.. or make a photocopy. I know it's silly, and should be done just to have that secondary backup..

they are not issued by a state government agency so are not considered valid IDs for this type of purpose. the school district is local, not state run.

The regulation ( 22 CFR 53.2) specifies the ID must be "government -issued"...the word "state" is not part of the regulation, so local government IDs (and federal government IDs) are just as valid as state government IDs. The problem with school IDs is that school districts are in most cases not directly part of the state or local government, but are in fact independent bodies.

Edited by njhorseman

This seems to be a cultural thing specific to the US. Maybe it goes way back to the isolationist era. Maybe it is a deep distrust of government.

However you cannot go to Canada or the Mexico any more without a passport (except on a close looped cruise).

It's a wonderful big world out there. See it!

Edited by maryann ns

I understand what you are saying. If I were you I wouldn't make any "non-refundable" plans until I had both my passports in hand. You can never tell what might happen. As far as airlines I believe I had to give our passport to the BA agent when we booked our flights. That has been a while ago, but knowing that you must have a passport to fly anywhere internationally is why I made the suggestion .

People on here only make these suggestions about passports because so many times on CC we hear of people who are complaining about some issue with passports I would hate to be reading several months from now and see how all your plans were for nothing because you ran into a passport problem.

Good luck and have a wonderful visit to Germany.

The ID isn't presented to prove age, it is presented to prove identity. All the DHS regulations require is that it be a photo ID issued by a government entity.

Personally, I wouldn't show up at a port or airport, especially if international travel is concerned, and assume a school ID would be acceptable. And as pointed out many times on CC, if there's a need to book an emergency flight back home, things might not run smoothly.

I understand what you are saying. If I were you I wouldn't make any "non-refundable" plans until I had both my passports in hand. You can never tell what might happen. As far as airlines I believe I had to give our passport to the BA agent when we booked our flights. That has been a while ago, but knowing that you must have a passport to fly anywhere internationally is why I made the suggestion .

People on here only make these suggestions about passports because so many times on CC we hear of people who are complaining about some issue with passports I would hate to be reading several months from now and see how all your plans were for nothing because you ran into a passport problem.

Good luck and have a wonderful visit to Germany.

I don't complain about my own failure to plan or about the consequences of my own decisions. The only time that I have read of someone having trouble with obtaining a passport is when they didn't submit the correct documents or they were ineligible for one in the first place. Neither of those things will occur[emoji6].

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

most states issue a non-drivers ID at the DMV...its just a picture ID. Some states also issue an enhanced driver's license(also non drivers ID) that CAN be used at land crossings between the US and Canada/Mexico

http://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

also the term is government issued ID which means any US government, state local, county or school district etc.

Edited by smeyer418