Crown Grill or Sabatini's? Which is better?

Dreamer333

We're celebrating my husband's 40th birthday on our upcoming cruise and I'm wondering which specialty restaurant we should dine at?

I've never eaten at the specialty restaurants because I like the MDR food, but since this is a special occasion, I'd like to try it out.

We're celebrating my husband's 40th birthday on our upcoming cruise and I'm wondering which specialty restaurant we should dine at?

I've never eaten at the specialty restaurants because I like the MDR food, but since this is a special occasion, I'd like to try it out.

I would choose Crown Grill, unless you are major shellfish lovers and sauce lovers. Do a search so you can peruse the menus now.

Edited by Pia1913

They are both excellent and an experience unto themselves.

We love them both.

When the CG was first started the live Maine lobster and 12 ounce tails that were available put the CG over the top.

Not so much now. But still enjoyable. :)

We couldn't agree with you more! They each offer a unique and outstanding dining experience! :)

We are just,

RetiredNTraveling!(Mike & Betty)

They are both excellent and an experience unto themselves.

We love them both.

When the CG was first started the live Maine lobster and 12 ounce tails that were available put the CG over the top.

Not so much now. But still enjoyable. :)

Yes, they are both great!

I like the espresso creme brulet at Sabatini's, and the Crown Dependence dessert at the CG.

Pia's suggestion to check the menus is a good one.

Bon appetit :)

You might also want to consider the Chef's Table or the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. Pricey, but worth it if you've never done them...

That would be my suggestion for special events like a 40th birthday party & if on the Royal or Regal the $40 Winemakers dinner would be another great option.

If my only options were the Crown Grill and Sabatini's, I would go to the Crown Grill. I prefer the Crown Grill's entrée selections over Sabatini's however as others have said both were enjoyable. OP...I'd suggest clicking on this link to view the menus for both restaurants & to decide which appeals to you the most. :)

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/

Edited by Astro Flyer

I would choose the Crown Grill over Sabatini's in a heartbeat. My last visit to Sabatini's on the Sapphire was not great and several dishes were barely edible. The lobster three ways was downright awful with the lobster overcooked, rubbery and tasteless. :(

I would choose the Crown Grill over Sabatini's in a heartbeat. My last visit to Sabatini's on the Sapphire was not great and several dishes were barely edible. The lobster three ways was downright awful with the lobster overcooked, rubbery and tasteless. :(

Pam, I agree. I have been disappointed in a number of the entrees offered at Sabatini's, especially what is offered as lobster, but.....

At Sabatini's the artichoke souffle as an appetizer and the lemon tart for dessert are just outstanding. :)

I do love the artichoke soufflé, too! And if all else fails, the veal chop is usually good there. Believe it or not, the desserts fail to really impress me at either place, which is quite a statement from a sweet-toothed chocaholic!

Edited by ggprincess2004

We at in Sabatini's on the Royal Princess as it was included as a promotion. I was disappointed and glad I did not pay the extra fee. I did not think the food was much better than the MDR. My opinion. I have not eaten in the Crown Grill but hope to next cruise, August 10 on the Grand Princess.

My 2 cents

Sabatinis use to be amazing. On my last 8 cruises we at at Sabatini's every cruise except the last one. We had noticed by cruise 6 the food was going down hill and on cruise 7 we barely ate. However, I love love love the white chocolate semi-freddo. It is out of the world and almost worth suffering through a bad dinner just for that (I often get 2)

Crown we have eaten at 2 or 3 times. The food is outstanding, the black and blue soup is worth going there for it. The service is awful. It was almost 3 hours every time. This is a common complaint I have heard on the ships. When we were on Caribbean earlier this year our friends went and reservation was at 6, they got out at 10pm. They loved the food but there was a good hour in between courses.

If you can, and want domething really special, do the chefs table. We did that on Sapphire and we were blown away. The food, the service, the attention to detail... All of it. I would do that again ( much pricey-er) but so worth the splurge. Would easily be a $300 pp dinner on land.

Hope that helps!

A few years ago I would recommend Sabitinis because it was a unique experience. Then they changed the menu and it's not so unique anymore. Check out the menu and see if you like the food. I don't care for the new menu. So if it me I would go to the steakhouse.

I had the exact same meal when we did our Grand Asia Transpacific. My DH had the baked whole fish, that was dry and flavorless. This is our second disappointing meal at Sabatini's. On the other hand, we have eaten twice at the Crown Grill and enjoyed both meals.

I don't know if it has changed on all the ships, but at least on the Emerald Princess last month the menu at Sabatinis is no longer the same as what is listed on the Princess website. The zuppa di pomodoro is gone as is the salt crusted striped bass. There are now two or three choices of pasta on the menu as opposed to a special one each night. There is a chef's special dish each night that is not listed on the menu. In lieu of the tomato soup with seafood there is a soup more like a pasta fagioli. The fish is now a grilled fish. The chef's special one night was Osso Buco and it was outstanding. The menu actually changed while we were on our cruise. The first night we had the old menu and the next time we went back we had the new one.

While the Chef's Table is a delightful experience and I have heard that the Winemaker's Dinner is as well, sometimes for a special occasion a couple likes to just be dining with themselves, not 6 or 8 other people they may or may not know. I know if we are celebrating a big birthday or an anniversary, we prefer that unless we are with some really good friends. JMHO

We eat at least once in each of the specialty restaurants, plus the chefs table and a balcony dinner per cruise. We usually prefer the Crown to Sabatini's but on our last cruise on the Emerald, the steak was not up to par tuff and no taste, lobster was tuff also. We found Sabatini's excellent, i had there steak and it great juicy and tasty. We ate there 3 times and had great service and food. we didn't go back to the Crown Grill that cruise. I think it is the chef that is on shift for the cruise your on that makes the difference in the specialty restaurants. Thats why sometimes things aren't just up to par from the previous cruise. Its frustrating when you know what your meal should taste like and it doesn't come close to the last experience.

The balcony dinner is excellent and we have never been disappointed with the food or service, its a step up from the specialty restaurants. The chefs table is the best and worth the extra money. We have done them with Carnival and every Princess cruise we have been on. Both were great with Princess coming out ahead.

I don't know if it has changed on all the ships, but at least on the Emerald Princess last month the menu at Sabatinis is no longer the same as what is listed on the Princess website. The zuppa di pomodoro is gone as is the salt crusted striped bass. There are now two or three choices of pasta on the menu as opposed to a special one each night. There is a chef's special dish each night that is not listed on the menu. In lieu of the tomato soup with seafood there is a soup more like a pasta fagioli. The fish is now a grilled fish. The chef's special one night was Osso Buco and it was outstanding. The menu actually changed while we were on our cruise. The first night we had the old menu and the next time we went back we had the new one.

While the Chef's Table is a delightful experience and I have heard that the Winemaker's Dinner is as well, sometimes for a special occasion a couple likes to just be dining with themselves, not 6 or 8 other people they may or may not know. I know if we are celebrating a big birthday or an anniversary, we prefer that unless we are with some really good friends. JMHO

Ann thanks for the news about changes at Sabatini's which to me would be a welcome change. :)

We enjoyed the Winemaker's Dinner very much & wish it would go fleetwide like the Chef's Table. While it's good to have it in the Royal's/Regal's wine cellar, the CT was successful before the new ships had the Lumiere location. Come on Princess, expand the Winemaker's Dinner fleetwide. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Crown Grill would be my choice - excellent food, superlative service.

We thoroughly enjoyed Sabatini's on our first cruise on Princess when they still had the original tasting menu. We have eaten at both specialty restaurants on every cruise since and have been disappointed by Sabatini's each time. We will not be dining there again. However, I do agree that the atmosphere is more intimate and romantic.