Is 2-week Norwegian Fjords cruise too long?

We were debating whether to go on a one or two-week cruise to the Norwegian fjords. My husband is concerned that the two-week cruise would become monotonous and too much of the same scenery. We are looking at the Holland America line. The two-week is out of Rotterdam, and the one-week is out of London. If we do the one-week out of London, we could spend a few days in London prior to the cruise. Incidentally, does anyone know how far the port in London is from the city. Thanks for any input and/or suggestions.

As you don´t say when you are looking for a cruise,

maybe you can tell whoch of the ports generally refered to as London (Dover or Harwich) are you talking about?

Both are quite a way from London, I´d say a 90 min car ride to Harwich and up to 2 hours to Dover, depending on where you stay in London.

We are looking at the Rotterdam out of Rotterdam for next year. We´ve been on a weeklong southern NOrway cruise aboard Rotterdam two years ago and absolutely loved the ship and the tour.

The scenery is varies quite a bot. Have you every been to Alaska? That´s what parts of Norway look like. But ayou´ve also interesting cities, fjords, nature in all shapes.

I´d go right this Minute if that was possible...

As to whether or not 2 weeks is two long, my first inclination would be to say for a first time cruiser, yes, 14 days is probably too long. But if a repeat cruiser, that is far more difficult to answer, as we don't know anything about you and your interests. We started with thinking 7 days was a lot, now we rarely cruise for less than 20 days at a shot.

As to London to Port info, check the British Isles board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

for all sorts of hotel, transport and other info.

Thanks for all the replies. This is my first question posted so I guess I need to add more information next time. My husband & I (have cruised 13 times including Hawaii, Europe, & Caribbean & have found that this is the way to travel! We were told that the Norwegian fjords were more beautiful than Alaska, where we have traveled twice before. The longest cruise we have taken is 10 days on the Baltic Sea, which is one of our favorite cruises! Our children (ages 23 & 28 who have joined us on previous cruises) will be joining us on this cruise along with extended family members. We are an active family, who enjoys running, hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, swimming and bicycling, and we pick excursions that include these activities. Although we do love to sightsee!!!!

The one-week cruise that we are considering leaves from Harwich, England on HAL's Ryndam with the following itinerary: Oslo; cruising Oslofjord; Kristiansand; Stavanger, Ulvik and cruising Hardangerfjord.

The two-week cruise leaves from Rotterdam with the following itinerary: Stavanger; cruising Sognefjord; Flaam; Alesund; Trondheim; cruising Trondheimsfjord; Tromso; Honningsvag; cruising Nordkapp (North Cape); cruising Geirangerfjord; Geiranger; Bergen.

I hope this additional information aids in answering my original question. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Please don't say Norway fjords look like Alaska. There are so much, much more beautiful!

Are you looking at a cruise that goes all the way to Nordcapp? I would not repeat that, and don't advise that. The beauty is in the fjords, above the Polar Circle is not much to see. I would not go above Alesund on another cruise.

I completely disagree with the comment that going to the Arctic Circle isn't great. That two week cruise was one of the BEST of all our more than 85 cruises. There's a lot to see above the tree line, and many interesting tours to take.

OP, take the two week cruise. I would also look at cruise lines other than HAL. For your kids, even though they may be older kids, another line might be to their liking.

As to whether or not 2 weeks is two long, my first inclination would be to say for a first time cruiser, yes, 14 days is probably too long. But if a repeat cruiser, that is far more difficult to answer, as we don't know anything about you and your interests. We started with thinking 7 days was a lot, now we rarely cruise for less than 20 days at a shot.

As to London to Port info, check the British Isles board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

for all sorts of hotel, transport and other info.

Uh-oh! Our first cruise was a 15 nighter (Panama Canal). And we've never looked back. While we have 4 7 night cruises under our belts, those are the "short" ones. We've done a 24 night (B2B 10 night Med with a 14 night Transatlantic), as well as a 14 night Hawaii, and recently a 21 night Panama Canal.

A 2 week cruise sounds just about right for hubby & me.