Celebrity morphing into Cunard, good for few while the rest compromise?

chromered7

On our last cruise on Reflection 2012 we always went to Michaels Club for pre dinner drinks every night of the cruise we got to know the bar staff and talked to some interesting people from various parts of the world. We have just booked our next cruise on Connie in July 2015 only to find that Michaels bar is now only for Suite guests who also will have a private dinning room. The beers available n Michaels have been moved to the Cellar Masters bar. Apparently this is happening to all Celebrity ships from April 2015. We have had to compromise on the cruise and now Celebrity are changing elements in ship that we like they are sacrificing the loyalty of the many to accomidate the few. This move could be the first of many changes to maximise the use of the suites. The main reasons for choosing Celebrity in first place could slowly disappear as cruising reverts back to a class system.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Michael's Club on Constellation is a different room and in a different location to that on Reflection. It is not close to the restaurants and you would probably be less likely to use it for pre-dinner drinks. There are a number of difference between the S-class ships [like Reflection] and M-class ships [like Constellation]. There are also differences between Reflection and the other S-class ships. I suggest that, if you expect every thing to be the same as your cruise on Reflection, you may find yourself disappointed.

Travel with an open mind. Many Celebrity stalwarts prefer the M-class ships over the S-class ships.

Edited by Project_gal

On our last cruise on Reflection 2012 we always went to Michaels Club for pre dinner drinks every night of the cruise we got to know the bar staff and talked to some interesting people from various parts of the world. We have just booked our next cruise on Connie in July 2015 only to find that Michaels bar is now only for Suite guests who also will have a private dinning room. The beers available n Michaels have been moved to the Cellar Masters bar. Apparently this is happening to all Celebrity ships from April 2015. We have had to compromise on the cruise and now Celebrity are changing elements in ship that we like they are sacrificing the loyalty of the many to accomidate the few. This move could be the first of many changes to maximise the use of the suites. The main reasons for choosing Celebrity in first place could slowly disappear as cruising reverts back to a class system.

To end your concerns just move on/up and book Cunard. Cunard prices are very competitive, and dress codes are followed.

Example of pricing:

This September Cunard has 24 nights from Southampton to the Med/Greece/Turkey from £1499.00, while Celebrity offers 14 nights from Southampton to the Med from £2398.00

Now let me think, what is the better line and what is the better deal? - decisions, decisions, decisions

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Hi, I don't see it as a class system, more of an upsell, and it happens all the time, from fast food restaurants to air travel to hotels etc, etc,. You pay extra for the perks and lets face it, business is all about upsell and profit.

But to be fair, the change to Michael's is more than an upsell. It is taking away space that used to be available to all, and making it available only to a few. We spent almost every night on our last cruise in Michael's and really enjoyed it. I personally don't care what they give suite guests - they pay more and they should get more - until it starts taking away from the general population. Then I care. Still love Celebrity, but do not love this new trend.

To end your concerns just move on/up and book Cunard. Cunard prices are very competitive, and dress codes are followed.

Example of pricing:

This September Cunard has 24 nights from Southampton to the Med/Greece/Turkey from £1499.00, while Celebrity offers 14 nights from Southampton to the Med from £2398.00

Now let me think, what is the better line and what is the better deal? - decisions, decisions, decisions

Can you really compare those though with Cunard doing a Black Sea cruise? all lines are blowing them out right now.

But to be fair, the change to Michael's is more than an upsell. It is taking away space that used to be available to all, and making it available only to a few. We spent almost every night on our last cruise in Michael's and really enjoyed it. I personally don't care what they give suite guests - they pay more and they should get more - until it starts taking away from the general population. Then I care. Still love Celebrity, but do not love this new trend.

Its a "trend"? What have I missed? :confused:

As stated above this topic has been beaten to death. There is another thread on this very near this one. Michael's Club had been way under utilized. There are still plenty of places on the ships to go and have a drink before or after dinner. If you are really upset, don't fret about it for a whole year, just go back to another line Celebrity has made a decision, it is not turning the ship into a class system, most of the ship is available to all guests. Those that pay more will get a little more.

On our Solstice Cruise in June of 2012 there was hardly anyone in Michaels Club the times we went to it and for the last week of the 2 week cruise, it was closed more than half of the time, I can only assume from lack on business.

DW and I choose to cruise in Suites and certainly appreciate the added benefits, but I can certainly understand why guests who enjoyed what Micheals Club had to offer would not be happy with these changes.

If you are not satisfied with the changes, cancel your cruise and find a new cruise line that fits all your needs and wants.

The suite customers pay premium and I personally have no problem with them having a dedicated lounge and dining room, as many other cruise lines offer this to their suite customers as well. BTW, I don't cruise in a suite.

We just got off a 12 night cruise on the Constellation. Of the many trips made past the new "private" club, we only once saw anyone in the room (other than the bartender)! That was a grandparent with his grandson about 2 PM one afternoon. Talk about a loss leader and waste of space.

If the suite folks don't use it, maybe it will be returned to public space.

I don't care what Celebrity gives the suite guests but what I do mind is when a suite guest takes one of my perks away. We usually sail in AQ and dine in Blu. Suite guests are allowed in Blu on space available only but it doesn't work that way. If a suite guest is going to have their own dining room then that is where they should dine and not have any option for Blu. Just as a suite guest pays for what they receive the AQ guest also pays for what we are entitled to and should not have to be seated after someone who does not have that as a exclusive perk to their suite.

We just got off a 12 night cruise on the Constellation. Of the many trips made past the new "private" club, we only once saw anyone in the room (other than the bartender)! That was a grandparent with his grandson about 2 PM one afternoon. Talk about a loss leader and waste of space.

If the suite folks don't use it, maybe it will be returned to public space.

I appreciate hearing that there were some folks that enjoyed the time they spent in Michaels Club (MC). And then you have others that drone on and on about the place being empty when not available to the general public. However, if there were a significant number of folks keeping MC busy during the normal operating hours, why is it that there were so many comments (before the conversion) about why this space was so dead/empty?

Cellar Masters is a similar venue space that frequently is found not utilized by guests. So much so that on Equinox it has been revamped as "Gastro Bar" and is a test case currently being evaluated. Celebrity has made a business decision to evolve and recreate under-utilized spaces hoping that a new and different concept will be popular and used by more guests... or, in the case of MC, meet the needs of suite/zenith customers as a perk for booking and paying for a high end suite.

Celebrity is a business and needs to remain competitive and profitable while navigating the shifting changes in the marketplace. I don't see this as a trend of any kind unless that trend is to attempt to remain in business and keep their stake in the cruise market..... JMO :rolleyes:

Edited by vulcan1971
updated

I don't care what Celebrity gives the suite guests but what I do mind is when a suite guest takes one of my perks away. We usually sail in AQ and dine in Blu. Suite guests are allowed in Blu on space available only but it doesn't work that way. If a suite guest is going to have their own dining room then that is where they should dine and not have any option for Blu. Just as a suite guest pays for what they receive the AQ guest also pays for what we are entitled to and should not have to be seated after someone who does not have that as a exclusive perk to their suite.

Do we know for sure that when the suite dining room is up and running that suite guests will or will not be able to dine in Blu?

Let's not forget, Michaels is not only for suite guests, but for Zenith members. Let's also not forget Michaels is not available to all suite guests. I sail in a sky suite every year and I will not have access to Michaels. I think everyone needs to stop whining. There are plenty of places on the ship for everyone to enjoy. Sit in Bistro on 5...it is always quiet and empty.

I believe that the repurposing of Michael's Club was designed to make top Suites more attractive to those who were in a position to purchase them. It was another way to justify a higher price for the Suites. It gives the feeling of exclusiveness that appeals to many whether they use it or not. The concept makes Celebrity more competitive in attracting the top revenue producing cruiser. In fact, Celebrity does better if financially if people don't use it since the drinks and staff cost at least some money. Perhaps the revenue created by the "perk" and its contribution to higher Suite prices actually exceeds possible revenue by finding a public use for the facility.

Do we know for sure that when the suite dining room is up and running that suite guests will or will not be able to dine in Blu?

I certainly read a Celebrity press release recently, probably on the other thread, must admit I was surprised to see it.

Celebrity do have to change, in 1900 my grandfather started up a rural ironmongers business, and over the years we have evolved into a high tech sign manufacturer, now run my sons. Who knows what my grandsons will turn it into!

Yes,we do as that is what Celebrity stated in its press release FAQ awhile back. I, for one, am happy that the option is still there as I occasionally do get to cruise in a suite and I love Blu so imagine I would dine there on occasion. Of course, we dine earlier than most so we never cost an AQ guest a seat. I do believe that any congestion in Blu will be greatly relieved once the suite dining room opens and that there will be few if any suite guests dining in Blu. My next cruise we are lucky enough to be in a suite and my sister is in AQ so I imagine there will be a few nights when we dine with her and will happily pay the $5.00 cover charge if asked.

Another post riddle with storm and fury over a relatively minor change.

I think it makes sense to turn Michaels into something special for suite customers, Every time we have used Michaels on past cruises, the place was always empty. We like Cellar Masters and the addition of beer to that venue will add to its appeal.

Im not for segregation. On Princess and some P&O ships they have the Sanctuary on deck where one pool and the forward section of deck is for those who wish to pay to access it. On a ship where deck space can be in demand its not a feature I like as it is to the detriment of those that dont pay extra.

However, we sailed on Eclipse before and after Michaels was limited to some Suite and Zenith guests. Having walked by lots, the place was empty before (except when Perry Grant was on) and empty after the changes. However it didnt impact on us at all so wasnt an issue as there are lots of other spaces. The new suite dining could be an issue if it takes up some of the space for Select Dining and may increase wait times for those guests. But we will see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another post riddle with storm and fury over a relatively minor change.

I think it makes sense to turn Michaels into something special for suite customers, Every time we have used Michaels on past cruises, the place was always empty. We like Cellar Masters and the addition of beer to that venue will add to its appeal.

Agreed. For some people the sky seems to always be falling. I sure hope that they are deft on their feet to avoid the falling debris of their imagined disasters. :rolleyes:

I just returned from a 10 night mediterranean cruise on Reflection...Michael's was often occupied by suite guests. I also remember it being quite empty prior to this new suite program. I applaud Celebrity for the new perks for suite guests. The bottom line is, if you want the perks, book a higher end suite (just as if you want perks on a flight, you usually need to book something beyond economy class).