Reflection or Quantum of the Seas

espo56

We are Celebrity cruisers. We currently have bookings on both the Reflection and the Quantum of the Seas for next April. I am torn between the 2. We live in NJ so the Quantum means no flying. The Reflection means flying on Easter week.

We have not cruised on Royal in 20 years.

We enjoy Celebrity but the thought of something different is appealing.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I guess it depends. If you are traveling with kids I would suspect Quantum is a better bet. If you want to avoid kids and families and want an older demographic on the ship I think Reflection may be better. Wife and I are DINKs in late 40s and early 50s, we really enjoyed the Reflection just a few weeks ago. We generally want to avoid ships, itineraries and times of year that will attract kids. Celebrity is great and our line of choice.

With all that said, I am intrigued by the new Quantum class of ships so would like to book a cruise some day. Also looking at the Oasis or Allure for Caribbean cruise for 2015 or 2016. The point is that which is the better itinerary for you?

Edited by Tommy3putts
edit

We are Celebrity cruisers.

We booked reservations on the Quantum for an early 2015 cruise out of NJ since the port is just a short drive for us as well. After reading the many (and I do mean many) positive and negative posts on the RC forum concerning the new Dynamic Dining format we decided to cancel that cruise and switch to a different cruise. We will wait to try the new dining arrangements until after they are in place for a while. The Quantum will however leave the US ports for China sometime in the near future, so if you want to try it book it before it sails for the Orient.

Many members like the new system of booking all your dinner reservations months in advance at smaller capacity dining venues, half of which are extra fee specialty restaurants, and many do not like having to make dining and entertainment choices months in advance.

Each restaurant's menu will not change from night to night, with the usual available every night alternates. There will be no MDR, just smaller venues, one of which is formal every night. If you decide to book and avoid specialty restaurant charges you will have a choice of four smaller dining rooms, one of which is always formal, with menus that are the same each night. Dining reservations for these venues are being made many months in advance at restaurants so far untested.

We hope the new system works out for both RC and it's passengers, but will hold off on booking cruises with the new venues.

OMO

bosco

Celebrity- Elite

RCCL- Diamond

I was so excited when RCI was building the Oasis class. Cruised on both within a month of them entering service. At this time I have no interest in the Quantum class.

I don't like the new dining concept. So far there have been many complaints from posters who cannot get their desired times and are having to take what is available until they board the ship. I don't want to start my vacation out trying to deal with dining reservations. It may just be a work in progress right now and hopefully RCI gets it worked out but I will wait on the sidelines to see how they handle it.

Easter is going to mean many kids on board the Quantum. Another reason that we left RCI for Celebrity. There may be kids on the Reflection but no where near as many as the QN.

Good luck on your decision. :)

We are Celebrity cruisers. We currently have bookings on both the Reflection and the Quantum of the Seas for next April. I am torn between the 2. We live in NJ so the Quantum means no flying. The Reflection means flying on Easter week.

Depends on who you are cruising with and what you want on your ship for dining and activities...also your cruise history does not show preference for mega ships...

we like Celeb M and S class, Royal Radiance class and Navigator,,, but recently tried Oasis and could not wait to get off. It was very large, sort of like a floating mall and food court , everyone does their own thing and we found most spaces crowded. Had to book all the special shows and events in advance...felt over scheduled..dining service and food not equal to Celeb in MDR or special venues. Bands other than reggae and jazz were not very good!

Seemed great for children..with carousels, waterpark etc and active teens and adults,..zip line, flow rider and rock wall...Depends on what you are looking for. Quantum will be a big ship with more gizmos. Even tho close to home for us we'll pass on it..esp hearing about the dining concept.,,

Reflection holds more appeal for us...booked for November, Any ship over Easter week will include families..airfare and hotel for Miami will be high . Good luck

I would choose Reflection. It is more relaxing and there will likely be less percentage of kids. I also love that all of the sun loungers are padded. I sailed Allure once and never say never but it wouldn't be my first choice...Quantum is more like that than Reflection. I found the sundeck to be windy all the time while the solarium was intolarably hot. Most of the lounges were dead after dinner.

Just a little input. Easter week is very hectic flying into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale with long waits for check in going home. We got stuck with the high fares and crowded airports one too many times. Easter week will have kids no matter which ship you choose if it's a 7 day or less cruise. We are booked on the Quantum in Feb and like you will try the new venue. We live on L.I. and love to drive to Cape Liberty. Good luck with your choices.

I'd choose Quantum because it will only be in the North America market for a short time. It will be moved to China after it's first season so unless you want to fly to China, this would be your only chance. Of course, RCL could decide to bring the ship back down the road but this could be awhile.

Thank you all for your input. The Reflection booking is for Easter. The Quantum is for April 24. If I choose the Quantum I will move the Reflection booking to another date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After 25+ years of cruising, sailing the Reflection last Nov, she is now our favorite ship. Tho a cruise, The Quantum will be a totally different cruise experience with over 6000 friends. We have sailed on a RCCL Voyager and Freedom class ship, both were very good cruises. All depends on what type cruise experience you are looking for.

I just saw that your last 2 sailings have been on the Summit. With the Quantum think Summit times 3 plus some!!

Edited by wallie5446

After 25+ years of cruising, sailing the Reflection last Nov, she is now our favorite ship. Tho a cruise, The Quantum will be a totally different cruise experience with over 6000 friends. We have sailed on a RCCL Voyager and Freedom class ship, both were very good cruises. All depends on what type cruise experience you are looking for.

I just saw that your last 2 sailings have been on the Summit. With the Quantum think Summit times 3 plus some!!

Actually Quantum capacity is 4180 but who's counting? :D I do agree that there will be a hell of a lot more kids on Quantum at Easter and you could always wait for Anthem. If it's Easter, Reflection would be our choice even though we could drive to it.

We are loyal Celebrity fans, but these new RCL ships look very interesting. We are booked on the Anthem -- leaves out of London for a 14 day Med cruise (June 2015). No main dining room; we have already scheduled our dining spots each evening (some paid; some included). One of the dining rooms requires formal dress and we set it up for four of the evenings.

Over ten upscale dining options.

Never thought we would like the Allure when it came out -- but surprise, it was outstanding.

Food used to be so so on Royal Caribbean, but it is improving as of late.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

PS -- of course we will sail on the Reflection, before heading up to the Anthem

Edited by kelmac

We are loyal Celebrity fans, but these new RCL ships look very interesting. We are booked on the Anthem -- leaves out of London for a 14 day Med cruise (June 2015). No main dining room; we have already scheduled our dining spots each evening (some paid; some included). One of the dining rooms requires formal dress and we set it up for four of the evenings.

Over ten upscale dining options.

Enjoy!

PS -- of course we will sail on the Reflection, before heading up to the Anthem

I hope I have the Dynamic Dining concept a little wrong?

As far as I understand it (from the RC website) each restaurant, complimentary or extra charge, will have it's own single, unchanging menu which does have the usual "available everyday" items as an alternative. The "available everyday menu" will be the same for each restaurant across the board.

I hope I do have this wrong, as for us, four nights in the formal venue (or for that manner any restaurant) with the exact same menu seems a little strange.

?????????????????

bosco

Really depends on your "likes." I am doing Quantum to "see the ship." It'll be revolutionary. It's designed for more "indoor" activities, will have so many innovations. Nothing will compare. It think it's worth it just to see it. That was how I felt about Oasis, and we loved it. Have done Oasis twice and Allure twice. But I also like the "cruise experience" you can only get on smaller ships without the "bells and whistles." I am doing my first Celebrity in Nov. on Reflection. I am really excited to experience Celebrity cruising and the ship looks magnificent. Then Quantum in Feb., followed by Rhapsody of the Seas in Sept (smallest class ship). Each will offer a unique experience, each for it's own reasons. I'd do Quantum if I were you as it may be your only chance unless you go to Asia.

As far as I understand it (from the RC website) each restaurant, complimentary or extra charge, will have it's own single, unchanging menu which does have the usual "available everyday" items as an alternative. The "available everyday menu" will be the same for each restaurant across the board.

I hope I do have this wrong, as for us, four nights in the formal venue (or for that manner any restaurant) with the exact same menu seems a little strange.

?????????????????

bosco

Hi bosco,

I think they are still working on the menu, but the menu of our favorite restaurants here at home don't change every night. I think we can make four visits to the Grande Restaurant and find different, or repeat items and we are okay with. Besides, we may be in the Grande on the third night and not make it back until the seventh night, with three different restaurants in-between.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/the-grande-restaurant/

On Celebrity, we enjoy eating at the same table, with the same servers, and at the same time every evening, but we are also willing to try something different.

Enjoy!

... the menu of our favorite restaurants here at home don't change every night.

Enjoy!

Very true, however almost any restaurant has a good deal more variety in their menus and I usually wouldn't eat dinner at the same restaurant with a limited static menu 4 times in 2 weeks. Just seems like a big change from a two week cruise with 14 different menus in the same dining venue with the same staff, table and tablemates. I know, sounds a little too traditional.. Can't help it..LOL

I hope it works out great for you and all others on the ship.

We have been on 16 cruises so far and aside from the usual unimportant nit-picky junk that always pops up we have never had a bad cruise experience and hope to continue so in the future.

We will however wait to see how the new Dynamics work out..

Have a great cruise, we always do...

bosco

Very true, however almost any restaurant has a good deal more variety in their menus and I usually wouldn't eat dinner at the same restaurant with a limited static menu 4 times in 2 weeks. Just seems like a big change from a two week cruise with 14 different menus in the same dining venue with the same staff, table and tablemates. I know, sounds a little too traditional.. Can't help it..LOL

I hope it works out great for you and all others on the ship.

We have been on 16 cruises so far and aside from the usual unimportant nit-picky junk that always pops up we have never had a bad cruise experience and hope to continue so in the future.

We will however wait to see how the new Dynamics work out..

Have a great cruise, we always do...

bosco

Thanks bosco!

Lauren and I now have 50 cruises together, so I think we have entered a new phase of cruising -- we've experienced the smaller ships, the larger ships, very traditional, open seating, formal Cunard, and the great cuisine of Oceania. We are perhaps looking for something different. Having said that, I'm sure every other cruise we will be back with Celebrity and the excellent experience they provide.

Enjoy!

We have been sailing on Celebrity for 15 years and we were on the Reflection last winter. It was a lovely ship but don't go Aqua class since that ship has extra Aqua class cruisers and I heard that Blu was very crowded. We took the Ultimate Dining package and enjoyed it.

This next winter we are taking the Quantum out of Bayonne since I so much don't like flying out of and into Newark in the winter. We once took the Silhouette out of Bayonne and loved the fact that we drove to the ship and parked the car.

Since the Quantum is a brand new ship we have no way of learning what the experience will be like but we think it's worth the risk. We will still be on vacation so I am sure we will make the best of it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

?????????????????

bosco

According to what I've been told there will be an "everyday menu" that each restaurant will have in common - kinda like you see in the MDR on RCCL and X. The other side will be the restaurants regular dishes (so each restaurant will have it's own flair).

Now, onto the OP - I'm also in NJ and I'm an X girl, but I'm trying out the Quantum because well, it's round trip, no airfare, 45 minute drive to the port. Can't beat that.

If you get booked as part of a group the person who owns the group can opt for a set dining time rotating among the 4 free restaurants (Grande, Silk, American Icon Grill and Chic) as that is what my group is doing. People not booked in groups have to make reservations and yes, I've noticed that they are filling up already, for my sailing in January.

Quantum is definitely more planning up front, however, if you go into it knowing and accepting that, I'm sure it will be fine. Also realize each restaurant will have a standby list each night so you can potentially try to get a different restaurant if you find you like one more than another once on board.

We have been sailing on Celebrity for 15 years and we were on the Reflection last winter. It was a lovely ship but don't go Aqua class since that ship has extra Aqua class cruisers and I heard that Blu was very crowded. We took the Ultimate Dining package and enjoyed it.

This next winter we are taking the Quantum out of Bayonne since I so much don't like flying out of and into Newark in the winter. We once took the Silhouette out of Bayonne and loved the fact that we drove to the ship and parked the car.

Since the Quantum is a brand new ship we have no way of learning what the experience will be like but we think it's worth the risk. We will still be on vacation so I am sure we will make the best of it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I WISH i took the Silhouette out of Bayonne. I'm secretly praying they eventually bring an S class to Bayonne. My wallet will be in trouble if they do though LOL

According to what I've been told there will be an "everyday menu" that each restaurant will have in common - kinda like you see in the MDR on RCCL and X. The other side will be the restaurants regular dishes (so each restaurant will have it's own flair).

Now, onto the OP - I'm also in NJ and I'm an X girl, but I'm trying out the Quantum because well, it's round trip, no airfare, 45 minute drive to the port. Can't beat that.

We are actually 3 hours from the port and originally booked the Quantum for the same basic reasons you listed. Although we have wasted thousands on flights, hotels and all the other things that go along with sailing from ports other than Boston, NY/NJ and Baltimore we prefer to spend those funds on board the ship. I am sure the other 60 million people located within driving area to the above ports would agree. LOL

After studying the Dynamic Dining a little we chose to cancel and maybe try the idea after some of the obvious wrinkles were worked out.

My reasoning... We booked a veranda NOT a suite therefore COASTAL KITCHEN was out for us. To the best of my knowledge the following sums up the available dining choices we had left... One caveat is that I am only listing COMPLIMENTARY dining venues. Of course there are several other extra fee choices on board and like most of the specialty restaurants we have been to I am sure they are worth the money.

There are 18 Dynamic restaurants according to RC...

True, however the COMPLIMENTARY RESTAURANTS ON BOARD (ASIDE FROM THE WINDJAMMER AND ASSORTED BURGER OR SANDWICH TYPE PLACES) ARE LIMITED TO FIVE, one of which is only for those in suites.

# 1. The ICON. COMPLIMENTARY

Restaurant.?????

Basically bar food.

England Clam Chowder

Shrimp Po'Boy

Buffalo Chicken Mac n’ Cheese

Cajun Chicken Wings (root beer wing sauce and dip)

Rueben Turnover (pastrami pastry with kraut and 1000 Island)

Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Salad

Heartland Salad (spinach, egg, shrooms and bacon)

Yankee Franks (pigs in a blanket)

===========================================================

# 2. CHIC. COMPLIMENTARY

Potato Crusted Icelandic Cod

Boneless Beef Ribeye

Grilled Vegetable Napoleon

Chicken Paillard

Salmon Strudel

Mediterranean Sea Bass

Pan Roasted Diver Scallops

==========================================================

# 3. SILK. COMPLIMENTARY

Curried Lamb

Miso-Marinated Eggplant

Sake-Glazed Salmon

Szechuan Pork Stir Fry

Hibachi Steak

Chicken Tikka Masala

Crispy Beijing Duck

Saigon Style Shrimp

=====================================================================

# 4. THE GRANDE. COMPLIMENTARY AND FORMAL EVERY NIGHT

The Fishermans Catch

Sole Almondine

Individual Chateaubriand Wellington (which one is it? LOL)

Chicken a L’Orange

Grecian Grilled Salmon

Pasta al Fredo (strange variance of a tried and true recipe)

Eggplant Rollatini

Mediterranean Rack of Lamb

THERE ARE EXTRA CHARGE PREMIUM ITEMS LISTED AS WELL.

=======================================================================

# 5. COASTAL.. COMPLIMENTARY

*************OPEN ONLY TO SUITE GUESTS***********

COASTAL KITCHEN FLATBREADS

Sounds like different pizza / focaccia combinations.

SEARED SCALLOPS

HERB CRUSTED CHICKEN

SALMON STEAK

SPICE RUBBED RIB EYE

HALIBUT PICATTA

GRILLED FILET MIGNON

SLICED LEG OF LAMB

So... Not wanting to eat dinner from what I consider to be a venue serving "Bar Food" and not being able to use the Coastal Kitchen there are 3 choices left for the 10 nights we would be dining on the Quantum.

Chic, Silk and The Grande, although the menus sound great on all three we would probably choose Chic and The Grande on the majority of our evenings visiting Silk once or twice.

So we have 10 evenings to dine in three restaurants whose menus are very limited as compared to almost any land based restaurant and whose menus will remain the same for the entire cruise. Actually to be honest there is always the "available every night" beef, fish, chicken and pasta menu so we have an extra choice.

I do hope all the problems vanish as RC gets the whole reservations thing for the dining as well as the entertainment venues worked out. In any case I know you will have a cruise as good as you make it.

We would not care where we had to eat as long as it was on a ship sailing to the Caribbean, but since we are limited by my wife's vacation availability to one cruise a year we chose to do it on a more traditional ship...

Happy sailing and have a fantastic time.

OMO

bosco

Thanks for posting the menus, not considering Quantum but can pass info on to others who might be...The Icon menu is really something... buffalo mac and cheese, franks...not exactly dinner fare...

when we went on Oasis folks had raved about the deli roast beef on Central Park for first day lunch... I guess the sandwhich was Ok but the venue was overcrowded, rude people all over, cafeteria style poorly laid out..,Staff cleaned off tables with wet rags that made the tables smell....the Mdr with traditional Royal menus was Ok..specialty venues all funny shaped rooms to fit the Central Park area...some nicer than others but none like X...

Hope Quantum improves over Oasis...and hope those seeking a new experience enjoy it..that's how we came to try Oasis but glad to be back to Celeb on Refection and then Equinox.

Hi,

We love Celebrity but we also love RCCL.

Sailed on the Oasis. The week we were on we felt the food was lacking and usually I like the food on RCCL.

Now the evening entertainment was fabulous. All excellent quality

We tend to always go towards the adult pool section. The area on the Oasis was just wonderful. We both loved it. I would think the Quantum would be the same.

Its also nice exploring a new ship.

We plan to book the Equinox for a 10 day Caribbean. Looking forward to a lovely ship, excellent service and good food.

Thinking about booking the RCCL Anthem for the 14 day european cruise.

Enjoy the ship and cruise you choose:)

Thats a no brainer , no air fare and RCL over celebrity anyday.

Thanks for posting the menus, not considering Quantum but can pass info on to others who might be...The Icon menu is really something... buffalo mac and cheese, franks...not exactly dinner fare...

when we went on Oasis folks had raved about the deli roast beef on Central Park for first day lunch... I guess the sandwhich was Ok but the venue was overcrowded, rude people all over, cafeteria style poorly laid out..,Staff cleaned off tables with wet rags that made the tables smell....the Mdr with traditional Royal menus was Ok..specialty venues all funny shaped rooms to fit the Central Park area...some nicer than others but none like X...

Hope Quantum improves over Oasis...and hope those seeking a new experience enjoy it..that's how we came to try Oasis but glad to be back to Celeb on Refection and then Equinox.

You must be kidding!!!???