What do you budget money wise for food/drinks for port intensive cruises?

tpadul

OK for all those frequent cruisers I have a question about average prices for food off the ship and how much you typically budget for something like this.

Our upcoming cruise in November is very port intensive, we chose this option because we were not sure how we would like cruising so to ease into it we chose a cruise with just one full day of sailing. We will be in a different port 5 days and I'm trying to get an idea of just how much money we should put aside for lunches and drinks (non Alcoholic) during our days in each port.

At this point we don't know what kind of excursions we will have planned for each port as I'm still trying to figure out what we want to do at each stop.

My assumption is we will be far away from the ship at each port that stopping back on the ship to eat lunch will not be feasible or something we want to do.

We are traveling on the Jewel of the Seas Nov 8-15th with stops in

BVI

St Kitts/Nevis

Dominica

St. Maarten

Barbados

For two adults what average amount of money have you put aside in the past for eating off the ship?

Suggestions are welcome. We are NOT picky eaters at all and by that I mean we are totally comfortable with something fast and easy we don't need an expensive elaborate sit down meal in these ports.

Anyone that has been to any of these stops if you have favorite places you ate at we would welcome the suggestions.

Don't know how helpful this will be - we've never been to the ports you listed, and costs of food, etc. probably vary some by port, as well as how much you are willing to spend on meals - $, $$, or $$$. First cruise was just hubby and myself and second cruise was both of us with our 13 yr old son. We had 3 stops (Cozumel, Caymans, and Falmouth). We took $600 cash which included cash for meals and expenses before and after cruise (we have about a 6-7 hour drive to either Galveston or New Orleans and stayed in motel the night before cruise). We came back with $150-200 cash. For the ports, I think I allowed $120-130 for the three of us, that would cover any food or drinks, and purchases such as t-shirts or other souvenirs, and we always came back with some left over. We've had sit-down meals at restaurants and something as simple as a couple of meat pies and bottles of water. I also budgeted cash separately for any private excursions that asked for payment once we were there, as well as any tips we might want to give the tour guides. I would estimate X number of dollars per stop, pretty much based on what you would normally do if you were on a land-based vacation for meals and extra spending. You can always go back to the ship for any meals or snacks and not spend any cash at all.

Hope you have a great cruise and lots of fun whatever you do !!! :)

We really don't eat that much ashore, as we have a good breakfast before leaving and know there's another great meal awaiting our return to the ship. As a result, we limit it to "something to tide us over". But, have found that somewhere around $20-25 p/p should be plenty for a smiple meal and beverage. As far as adult drinks, that depends on how much you drink. Prices are fairly similar to, or even a bit cheaper than back in the States ...

We don't use much in the way of cash ashore, preferring to buy in established stores and use the CC.

Cash purchases are usually limited to the tourist stands. We try not to buy too much, and barganing is de reigueur. There are entire threads on how to bargan and make for some very interesting reading.

If we're on a tour, we usually tip the guide/driver $4-5 p/p.

We really don't eat that much ashore, as we have a good breakfast before leaving and know there's another great meal awaiting our return to the ship. As a result, we limit it to "something to tide us over". But, have found that somewhere around $20-25 p/p should be plenty for a smiple meal and beverage. As far as adult drinks, that depends on how much you drink. Prices are fairly similar to, or even a bit cheaper than back in the States ...

We don't use much in the way of cash ashore, preferring to buy in established stores and use the CC.

Cash purchases are usually limited to the tourist stands. We try not to buy too much, and barganing is de reigueur. There are entire threads on how to bargan and make for some very interesting reading.

If we're on a tour, we usually tip the guide/driver $4-5 p/p.

Thank you!! This is excellent info and just what I was looking for!!! :D

For two adults what average amount of money have you put aside in the past for eating off the ship?

pretty much nothing. we eat on board. a very heavy breakfast gets us through til the afternoon and there is always a snack or something we can grab to tide us over til dinner.

maybe once or twice we stop for a local must do like a shrimp roll or a conch fritter but that's it.

pretty much nothing. we eat on board. a very heavy breakfast gets us through til the afternoon and there is always a snack or something we can grab to tide us over til dinner.

maybe once or twice we stop for a local must do like a shrimp roll or a conch fritter but that's it.

This is pretty much what we've found. We eat so much every day on the ship that we don't really want a full meal. Plus, we don't want to use too much port time in finding a restaurant and having a full meal.

But if there's a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, we race there for some relief from the ship's coffee.

tpadul, wishing you a wonderful time on your cruise.

Keith

Thanks! We are getting pretty excited! Never thought we would be able to visit this many islands in one vacation even if it's just one day for each place. We do want to sample the local food in each port so that was why we are wanting to budget money for lunches at every spot because we fully intend to each lunch everyday in the ports. I used to live and volunteer in Haiti 23 years ago, spent 8 years going back and forth to Haiti, I miss the Caribbean so much so I'm really looking forward to this very port intensive cruise!

OK for all those frequent cruisers I have a question about average prices for food off the ship and how much you typically budget for something like this.

Our upcoming cruise in November is very port intensive, we chose this option because we were not sure how we would like cruising so to ease into it we chose a cruise with just one full day of sailing. We will be in a different port 5 days and I'm trying to get an idea of just how much money we should put aside for lunches and drinks (non Alcoholic) during our days in each port.

At this point we don't know what kind of excursions we will have planned for each port as I'm still trying to figure out what we want to do at each stop.

My assumption is we will be far away from the ship at each port that stopping back on the ship to eat lunch will not be feasible or something we want to do.

We are traveling on the Jewel of the Seas Nov 8-15th with stops in

BVI

St Kitts/Nevis

Dominica

St. Maarten

Barbados

Suggestions are welcome. We are NOT picky eaters at all and by that I mean we are totally comfortable with something fast and easy we don't need an expensive elaborate sit down meal in these ports.

Anyone that has been to any of these stops if you have favorite places you ate at we would welcome the suggestions.

Well I remember 3 yrs back, we ate at the ports, Puerto Rico, USVI, and it was expensive. my sister's salad was almost 20 bucks not counting the drinks and in PR 50 dollars with drinks for a plate that WE SHARED!. Tourist traps, don't eat near where the cruise is docked. Lesson learned.

. . . Thanks! . . . We do want to sample the local food in each port so . . . I used to live and volunteer in Haiti 23 years ago . . .

1) You're welcome.

2) The following is primarily for readers who may not have ever lived in a (shall we say) less developed country?

Having lived in Haiti, I'm sure you're aware that if you really want to sample ethnic food from each culture, there is (on occasion) some degree of contamination risk. Nothing that bad, but what won't affect the locals (because they have developed more resistance/immunity over their lives), could have much more serious impact on your system. :eek:

Just make sure you have some Pepto packed, in case. :cool:

1) You're welcome.

2) The following is primarily for readers who may not have ever lived in a (shall we say) less developed country?

Having lived in Haiti, I'm sure you're aware that if you really want to sample ethnic food from each culture, there is (on occasion) some degree of contamination risk. Nothing that bad, but what won't affect the locals (because they have developed more resistance/immunity over their lives), could have much more serious impact on your system. :eek:

Just make sure you have some Pepto packed, in case. :cool:

Oh Yes, you are very correct!!! When eating out like that it's always best to completely stay away from any fruits and veggies unless the veggies are cooked thoroughly and for fruit only stick with something you can peel yourself like a Banana. Stick with cooked foods like Beans/rice/meat/hard cooked veggies as steamed might still have some stuff on it that could make you sick. Stay away from anything with ice in it unless you have seen the bag they pulled the ice out of and your 110% certain it's from purified water. Never drink soda from the bottle unless you put a straw in it. Definitely NO snow cones/shaved ice from street vendors and the ice blocks are probably from unpurified water. etc.. I would give this speech to the visitors everytime they came through the guesthouse I volunteered at in Haiti. Bascially anything from a street vendor cart should be avoided as well.

Edited by tpadul

I lived on a small island in the Spanish Virgin Islands for over 10 years in which tourism is our #1 income producer. The only cruise ship that comes here is SeaDream.

That being said in the Caribbean most restaurant lunch menus range from $9-15.

I cannot stress enough to find out where the locals eat and if you are diligent enough to spend the time on Trip Advisor prior to your sailing you will be able to find them.

Depending on the island, many have food trucks or Kiosks which are locally owned and some of the best authentic food you can get. Yes, you are not sitting down at a table with linen napkins, you may be lucky enough to get a picnic table though. But very reasonably priced. Lunch - $5-6.

Another reason to find the local hotspot is the cost of alcohol. For example, on our island our local beer (in all of PR) is Medalla. You can pay anywhere from $1.25 to $7 depending on where you go.

It is a matter of doing your homework in advance.

Hope this helps.