Dinner with captain

Does anyone know how people get picked to have dinner with captain in maim dining room?

The method is not revealed, and it appears to vary by ship. Sometimes you see very high C&A point guests, sometimes those in suites, sometimes first time cruisers. It's unpredicable.

I'd love to have dinner with the captain

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I too think it would be a wonderful experience! My chances are really slim though I imagine.

When we've been picked (most recently Celebrity) I think they were feeling sorry for us. Usually in the cheapest inside cabin. :D

Sent from my Commodore Pet using my own Forums app

Edited by biomedbob

A very good question we were lucky enough to be invited a few cruises ago the table was made up of the following couples, one couple pinnacle, one first time cruises, one newlywed couple, one couple from a suite, one single cruiser and we were on a b2b. As to how each coupe is chosen I have no idea. As I said we were on a b2b on the second week we went to our table on second seating first night to find out that there was no room at the inn, we were happy to move to another table without any fuss not sure if that made an difference but shortly after we sat down two head waiters come over and asked to speak to me the question would we like to dine with the captain on the first formal night it was a great honour and a very good night. When I told my wife she thought I was joking. If you ever get ask don't even think about it go for it.:)

We were asked whilst on a Mediterranean sailing on Mariner in 2012. We were not invited until the day of the dinner (I understand people are normally invited in advance) by phone. Apparently there were so few D+ or Pinnacle C&A members on that sailing they worked their way down the list of D members and some had declined the offer.

Not sure if it helped that they knew we'd rented tuxes for the cruise too so would be in formal dress.

There is really no rhyme or reason to this. Sometimes it is based on being in a suite, or a frequent passenger, sometimes it is based on occupation.

On Celebrity we were always at the captains table, except for one time when we were at the hotel managers table (we knew him, so it was great). Why? My wife at the time was Greek, as are the officers on Celebrity! On Celebrity, speaking Greek can go a long way. I guess in my case being a pilot did not hurt. Always dressing up for dinner wasn't bad either.

On Cunard we were never invited to the captains table, but I did just once get that coveted invitation to the officers wardroom (bar/lounge) on the last night of the cruise. I also once invited Nick Bates, the now-retired staff captain on QE2, and later captain on QE2, QM2, Caronia to join our party of 8 for dinner on QE2, and he certainly did!

On Regal Empress we quickly became great friends with their main captain, Rolf Bassenberg (just spoke with him a week ago). We were always at the captains table with him, in his cabin for private cocktails, and private parties with the officers, and he also gave me the pass code for the door to the bridge, so I could visit when I wanted.

I figure that it all had to do more with my wife than me!:D

We were invited to dine with the Captain on our very first Royal Caribbean cruise on Sovereign. The maitre 'd came by our table (there were four of us) the night before formal night and asked if we'd be interested. We got our invitations the next morning. There were four couples, all on our first RCCL cruise. The only thing we could figure out was that we were all about the same age as the Captain. We had a grand time - free wine, upgraded menu, a group photo and a bridge tour the next day.

We were invited, along with the other 2 couples at our table about 7 years ago on the Majesty. One couple at our table were friends we were traveling with and the other couple were first timers. A fourth couple also joined us and he worked for an airline. I don't think we were even diamond then. No idea how we were chosen but it was great.

We had dinner with the hotel director and someone asked how they were chosen. He said they liked a mixture of people, so there was a Pinnacle, some D+, 1st time cruisers, and suite passengers. There were also a couple of staff members. I think a few people are recommending: the concierge, the head waiters, and maybe the person who is hosting.

The first time we were invited because our table was very talkative with each other. Other time I befriended the shopping lady boarding the ship(we had a rather long wait to board). Yes she was also waiting in line. Last several times because of our C&A status.

Ok, I asked each time.

I was invited once, and I told the Head Waiter that I wasn't interested in dining with "the hired help" :D

The real reason was that my DSLW wasn't with me, and I didn't want to experience that kind of honor without her with me...

We were invited to dine with the Radiance of the Seas captain. It was fantastic! We had met him the day before at the Concierge Lounge and chatted with him for several minutes.

The day after our dinner with him, my wife mentioned to the Concierge that we had enjoyed our dinner with the captain and asked him whether he knew how we had been chosen. The Concierge, Juan, told us that he had recommended us.

Edited by JimAOk1945

I'd love to have dinner with the captain

One thing I have found with it is make the request and you have a chance

See the maître de he is the one that sends invited out

It can be a very fun night

Once a captain taught me how to flick a spoon into your water glass at his dinner

We now have a competition on each cruise captain dinner

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing I have found with it is make the request and you have a chance

See the maître de he is the one that sends invited out

It can be a very fun night

Once a captain taught me how to flick a spoon into your water glass at his dinner

We now have a competition on each cruise captain dinner

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Who can I talk to onboard about that

We were invited to dine with the Radiance of the Seas captain. It was fantastic! We had met him the day before at the Concierge Lounge and chatted with him for several minutes.

The day after our dinner with him, my wife mentioned to the Concierge that we had enjoyed our dinner with the captain and asked him whether he knew how we had been chosen. The Concierge, Juan, told us that he had recommended us.

Yes, we were invited to the Captains table on Radiance and it was the Concierge who recommended us. I think various positions are asked to submit names and rationale and then there is a more senior decision maker. Maybe staff captain? Individual captains have their preferences too and express them. Last cruise we were on the Captain had his family aboard and, while we were aboard for 2 B to B, his family were also and he held no formal dinners during either cruise. It makes sense they would invite Pinnacles and also that those who have some special interest, for example, a newly wed couple, might be invited depending on the Captain's interests.

Quite often other staff members like the Hotel Director, Staff Captain, etc. will host dinner at the Captain's Table. It is still an honor and is a very nice meal. Also, if you are doing a B2B you will probably have a better chance of being invited. But there are times that there are many doing B2Bs so that would lessen the chances.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by ARCruisinNana