Princess Cay Clamshell rentals - -

Romy40

Looks like a good idea, but what keeps others from using your $29 rental? Do they put your name on the clamshell? Ad says "first come, first serve." Even when you pay for it?? How does this work?

Princess website wants you to pay for this "excursion" prior to embarking?

Looks like a good idea, but what keeps others from using your $29 rental? Do they put your name on the clamshell? Ad says "first come, first serve." Even when you pay for it?? How does this work?

Princess website wants you to pay for this "excursion" prior to embarking?

We used them once many years ago, they are hot.

We just get a lounger under the nice shade structures scattered around the sand area back from the beach. ;)

The structures will cover about 8 chairs. Just sayin. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You put your stuff in the clamshell and that keeps others from using it just as when you leave your stuff on a lounge chair. No names but your stuff is the marker that it is yours.

I agree with the other posters, though....they are terribly hot and usually nobody rents one more than 1 time. We all have to learn the hard way I guess. If you get on the island early, plant your stuff on a chair or two under one of the structures or under a palm tree. Shade is out there, maybe not really plentiful, but you will find some if you go early.

You can always go in with some friends on a Cabana that will provide shade but they are a bit expensive. If you share the cost with others, it isn't a bad way to go, though.

There is a bar there, completely covered, with a band that plays that sometimes is a fun place to hang out and there is plenty of shade at the tables where they serve the BBQ lunch.

My advice, don't waste your money on one of the clamshells, though. You will survive for about 20 minutes inside with no breeze and won't get a refund.

Unless you're one of the first off the ship, you'll be claiming a clamshell three rows back from the beach and a good walk from the tender dock. We rented one b/c DH had just had surgery and we wanted to be sure to have shade. It was small (two lounges side by side period!) and unless you lift the back of the structure and prop it up with a stick, you won't get any air flow. If we ever go to Princess Cay again, I would stay on the ship! :)

If you get on the island early, plant your stuff on a chair or two under one of the structures or under a palm tree. Shade is out there, maybe not really plentiful, but you will find some if you go early.

Just remember as the day goes on the the sun's position in the sky changes, so does the shade a tree provides. You can start out in the shade of a tree, but a couple of hours later you might be in full sun.

Just remember as the day goes on the the sun's position in the sky changes, so does the shade a tree provides. You can start out in the shade of a tree, but a couple of hours later you might be in full sun.

Always sit to the far right side of the shaded area when facing the water when you arrive & the shade will last till around 2 PM or later.

Always sit to the far right side of the shaded area when facing the water when you arrive & the shade will last till around 2 PM or later.

True above when loungers in the shade are what you want!

We actually love going to the Banana Beach Bar which is right on the beach and provides Deep Shade. :)

LuLu

We did rent a clamshell back in February. We were on the first tender and got a great location. They set up the clamshell and propped up the back automatically. We like the clamshell. It gives you great shade and we had a nice breeze through it.

As for security. Like most places, once your stuff is in it, it is "yours" and no one really bothers it.

As for the cost, well, that is a personal choice. Obviously, they are not worth it if you arrive at noon, each lunch and leave at 2 pm.

We got there early, and stayed until after one. For us it was great.

We did rent a clamshell back in February. We were on the first tender and got a great location. They set up the clamshell and propped up the back automatically. We like the clamshell. It gives you great shade and we had a nice breeze through it.

As for security. Like most places, once your stuff is in it, it is "yours" and no one really bothers it.

As for the cost, well, that is a personal choice. Obviously, they are not worth it if you arrive at noon, each lunch and leave at 2 pm.

I'm glad to learn this. I'm cruising solo in December and have already reserved a clamshell. I thought it would be a great 'base' for me for the beach day and I won't have to worry about my things.

We actually love going to the Banana Beach Bar which is right on the beach and provides Deep Shade. :)

LuLu

Did you notice that about 2 years ago they trimmed back most of the shade bushes? I wonder if that was to promote their clam shell hot boxes. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Did you notice that about 2 years ago they trimmed back most of the shade bushes? I wonder if that was to promote their clam shell hot boxes. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mostly had to do with major hurricaine damage around the same time.

The island was shut down for several weeks.

Exactly!! We were lucky enough to get a chair in the shade structure next to the main bar. We pretty much used it all day along with some others that joined us. They did get sun in the afternoon so packed it up. When the sun hit our area, we went to have a cold one in the bar and before you knew it, it was time to go.

One thing to keep in mind is that the sand here gets so hot that you will burn your feet to smitherings if you don't have sandals or shoes on. Since the water can be a bit rocky, we've found beach water socks are the best thing to take over there....ones you can wear in the water for swimming or snorkeling. You can just swim over to lunch that way and come up in front of the picnic tables. I know it is a bit off topic but thought I would throw that in since you are considering the trip over to the Cays.

Totally agree with everything you said. ;) We had no problem with it being too hot with the back propped up.

We are not beach people and the stop at Princess Cays is our sole day at the beach each year. We spend most of the day there and the clamshell is a great central place between snorkeling, wandering along the shore, hitting the bars (they do have waiters in the clamshell area), and doing the lunch. Most people go to the clamshells right next to where they let you off the tenders but I like the area across the bridge opposite of where the crowds head. Just find the attendant, give them your ticket, and they erect a clamshell not yet taken. You can adjust them for the breeze but don't expect them to be any cooler than any other shady area.

We rented one on Princess Cays and probably won't next time. If you get there first thing (first tender out), you should be able to find a lounge chair(s) under a tree. There are two sides to Princess Cays when you arrive by tender (facing the island), the happening side (to the left) where there is more going on and the quiet side (to the right). If you decide to rent one, you should get their early as first come, first serve and you want to get the ones in the facing the ocean, otherwise if you come later your view will be the backside of another clamshell in the row behind. One thing about the quiet side, there are no lineups for food. One thing about the clamshell is that if you are concerned about your personal belongings, they are a bit safer out of view in your shell. When you arrive at Princess Cays, you present your clam shell ticket (don't forget to take with you when leave the ship) for the to the attendant, then go with them to pick one out. There are clam shells on the left and right sides where the tender arrives.

Edited by shilo5

LuLu

Lulu, sounds like a great way to get shade.:(:D:D:D

OP, the last time I visited Princess Cays I rented a clamshell. I didn't get off the ship early so had one towards the back. It was very hot inside part of the day but not all day. However, I didn't know you could prop the back open. Even though it was hot, I do like being on that side of Princess Cays and liked having the clamshell to leave my stuff in. I'm not sure I would do it again though. I noticed a lot of loungers with shade that were not occupied.

Last time we were on Princess Cay we just got a couple of loungers near the first bar to the right shaded by palm trees. There were a bunch of clamshells in front of us and when someone tried to grab one the attendent wanted to see their ticket and wouldn't let them have a clamshell without it.

Last time we were on Princess Cay we just got a couple of loungers near the first bar to the right shaded by palm trees. There were a bunch of clamshells in front of us and when someone tried to grab one the attendent wanted to see their ticket and wouldn't let them have a clamshell without it.

Are you saying they were setup but vacant right?

That's understandable.

After you have paid or presented your ticket, you can select the one you want if it's vacant and not spoken for. Best to get there early then you can choose one in the first row.

Edited by shilo5

Propping up the back to get air flow cooled it off, but that was only necessary after around 1:30 PM. The rest of the time it wasn't really that hot inside. We did the cabana once instead when we had my whole family there, but for that price we could get a nice beachfront hotel somewhere and spend the night! The clamshell is way too expensive for what it is, but a reasonable compromise to the cabana (although the latter IS nice).