If you could pack a ball gown......

I want this one!!e2ynevy6.jpg I would totally wear it in a jewel tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I WANT THAT ONE TOO! DH and I are kicking around the idea of renewing vows on the cruise. I was thinking I would wear my original wedding gown which is a bundle of satin and netting. The dress in your picture would be the perfect replacement! Where did you see that one? And I should ask if you are planning to buy and wear it. I wouldnt want to steal your gown.

Cathy

I love ballgowns!! I love the 40's and 50's dresses. Pink is my favorite color

Love that era too! Blue is my fav color. My mom had a cedar chest full of poofy prom dresses from the fifties that my sister and I used to play dress up with. The more taffeta, the better!

I WANT THAT ONE TOO! DH and I are kicking around the idea of renewing vows on the cruise. I was thinking I would wear my original wedding gown which is a bundle of satin and netting. The dress in your picture would be the perfect replacement! Where did you see that one? And I should ask if you are planning to buy and wear it. I wouldnt want to steal your gown.

Cathy

Oh no... Not my gown at all! The only person I know getting married soon is my brother :) I

liked a page called dresses on fb and this was on there. I'll see if I can find the link.

I just love the full skirted style. When I went to see Jersey Boys, I spent most of the movie going crazy over all the 50s dresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ehpride

If I could find one that fits right, looks good and is age appropriate (I'm 69) I'd definitely wear a ball gown. I wore a 'kind of' ball gown a few years ago that I really liked--it's a little too tight now, bummer. The difference between 59 and 69 in the body is also a bummer!

I think I am more at the stage where I prefer elegant to sexy or princessy .. but there was a time that a ball gown would have been my absolute choice. Actually one Halloween I did have a ballgown (I went as Miss Piggy Dressed as Big Bird ) here's a picture

677541317_CarnivalSpiritNov1185.jpg.af84952382680585aa9207c2cd8b0572.jpg

I think I am more at the stage where I prefer elegant to sexy or princessy ..

But "princessy" can also be elegant - it doesn't have to have too much bling or too many poufs to be a "princessy" ball gown. Well, not by my definition of "princessy". After all, we're not talking about Disney princesses, necessarily

bg17.jpg

9d62f0c6ee43394c8358c78cb10e795a.jpg

bg5.jpg

But "princessy" can also be elegant - it doesn't have to have too much bling or too many poufs to be a "princessy" ball gown. Well, not by my definition of "princessy". After all, we're not talking about Disney princesses, necessarily

Agreed, Calliopecruiser. Elegance encompasses many designs, I think.

(QUOTE)"I think I am more at the stage where I prefer elegant to sexy or princessy .. but there was a time that a ball gown would have been my absolute choice. Actually one Halloween I did have a ballgown (I went as Miss Piggy Dressed as Big Bird ) here's a picture"

Attached Images

File Type: jpg Carnival Spirit Nov 1 185.jpg (11.0 KB, 13 views)

Kathy

Oh, Kathy, that was a great costume! It looks like it was a lot of fun. I love it!

I'm thinking I will indulge myself with a full skirt for sure... not too hoopy, but twirly in case I decide I need to twirl!

Cathy

Edited by calisilent

I don't care for the 1860s-style huge skirts with hoops and crinolines underneath. I don't want to look like Scarlett O'Hara.

ScarlettGreenFloralDress1-1.jpg1286504952-carolcivilwscarlettcb.jpg

I do like the slim gowns that started to be fashionable in the 1880s. Here's Sargent's "Madame X" portrait from 1884. (Quite a change in only 20 years...)

Original, with one strap off-shoulder:

Photo_of_Madame_X.JPG

It was considered a bit racy, so Sargent changed it:

MadameX3.jpg

It's a simple, flattering gown without the tons of supporting underwear that the 1860s gowns required.

This gown could be worn today

I wear tuxedo pants with beaded side stripe, and dressy black top, or a sleek straight skirted gown. No ball gowns for me.

Hi Barb, where do you find the tuxedo pants?

I did buy this ball gown.....regular price was over 200$$...closer to 300$...I tried it on...loved it...felt like a princess......didn't buy it..but waited...it went dow nt o40$ (39.99), I used a 20% off coupon....32$.....it was...

AND laat summer I cruised on the brand new ship Royal Princess.....formal nights were formal...so it was the PERFECT place to wear it, couldn't find a tiara...so I bought a blingy headband....and had a wonderful evening...and had many people complimenting me....

My other gown was a sexy one.....and lighter weight...I wore dresses to dinner every night and my luggage was under 50 pounds!.....I chose the lightest weight dresses I had...the ball gown wasn't THAT bad...just a tad bulky...

Bernadette

Gorgeous!!

Bon jour Ladies!

In our fairy tale princess selves, I am wondering how many of you would bring a full blown ball gown to wear on a formal night at sea. Velvet, silk, crinoline, and bling... The whole thing. I know packing is an issue, but if it weren't, would you wear one?

Apparently the difficulty and expense of traveling with extra baggage has reduced the true formalness of the occasion.