If you could pack a ball gown......

Bon jour Ladies!

In our fairy tale princess selves, I am wondering how many of you would bring a full blown ball gown to wear on a formal night at sea. Velvet, silk, crinoline, and bling... The whole thing. I know packing is an issue, but if it weren't, would you wear one?

I don't care for the 1860s-style huge skirts with hoops and crinolines underneath. I don't want to look like Scarlett O'Hara.

ScarlettGreenFloralDress1-1.jpg1286504952-carolcivilwscarlettcb.jpg

I do like the slim gowns that started to be fashionable in the 1880s. Here's Sargent's "Madame X" portrait from 1884. (Quite a change in only 20 years...)

Original, with one strap off-shoulder:

Photo_of_Madame_X.JPG

It was considered a bit racy, so Sargent changed it:

MadameX3.jpg

It's a simple, flattering gown without the tons of supporting underwear that the 1860s gowns required.

I do and I will. My favorite has a fitted top, slightly lowered waist, and VERY full long skirt. There is a net underskirt attached. The fabric is so light that it folds up much smaller than a sweatshirt. The ideal cruise gown. When I wore it to dinner at the Captain's table one time, the Social Hostess called it a fairy princess gown.

I did buy this ball gown.....regular price was over 200$$...closer to 300$...I tried it on...loved it...felt like a princess......didn't buy it..but waited...it went dow nt o40$ (39.99), I used a 20% off coupon....32$.....it was...

AND laat summer I cruised on the brand new ship Royal Princess.....formal nights were formal...so it was the PERFECT place to wear it, couldn't find a tiara...so I bought a blingy headband....and had a wonderful evening...and had many people complimenting me....

My other gown was a sexy one.....and lighter weight...I wore dresses to dinner every night and my luggage was under 50 pounds!.....I chose the lightest weight dresses I had...the ball gown wasn't THAT bad...just a tad bulky...

Bernadette

gown.jpg.3a509f0baa010b3e50c827e27bb84300.jpg

Bernadette that gown is gorgeous on you! Enjoy wearing it.

toxicfairy: I don't think anyone was referring to "pooping out", just a lot of women prefer a slinkier, sexier look. To each his own....all are beautiful.

My husband loves to see me in formal wear.....however, he didn't love having to pack the gowns :-). Sometimes a packing challenge, but fun to wear!

I do and I will. My favorite has a fitted top, slightly lowered waist, and VERY full long skirt. There is a net underskirt attached. The fabric is so light that it folds up much smaller than a sweatshirt. The ideal cruise gown. When I wore it to dinner at the Captain's table one time, the Social Hostess called it a fairy princess gown.

Love it!

Thank you ladies for your responses! I'm in the process of choosing "formal" outfits for our upcoming cruise and thought it would be fun to see what you like to dress up in!

As for myself, even though i don't have one, I would wear a gown with a big, full skirt in a heartbeat if I could find one that packed as nicely as Shipgeeks! I guess I have two months to shop!

Nope, not me either....as a little girl I was always a tomboy...dresses

were definitely not my thing:rolleyes:....hate would be a bit strong of a word

so I will say dislike:eek:....now that I am in my mid 50s....if I wear a long

dress for my crusies...I look for a sleeker line....definitely NOT a poofy

ball gown kind of gal.:eek:

Oh yes, presuming I could find one that fits me in the first place. They are perfect for my hourglass shape! I actually have a knee length dress that looks best when I wear a crinoline underneath it. And on my last cruise I did take the short crinoline that went with this dress.

7393_F.jpg

I would certainly do a full length in silk and satin. I don't have an inner fairy-tale princess, but I do know what kind of dresses work best for my shape. (Sadly, they are hard to find in my size so I don't wear many dresses, ever, but I know what I'd like).

Bernadette that gown is gorgeous on you! Enjoy wearing it.

toxicfairy: I don't think anyone was referring to "pooping out", just a lot of women prefer a slinkier, sexier look. To each his own....all are beautiful.

My husband loves to see me in formal wear.....however, he didn't love having to pack the gowns :-). Sometimes a packing challenge, but fun to wear!

LOL I know I was just putting it lightly people get bunched up panties when the talk of "dress" comes up. I actually have a very sexy sleek low cut gown this time. I usually am much more ? Can't think of the word? Covered up...I'm always worried about what might be"hanging out" . However I found a gown on eBay and fell in love with it not realizing just How low cut it is:eek: . When it came in and I tried it on DH looked luke one if those cartoon characters...his eyes popped out and spun around and he said "WOW!"

it's getting altered right now. The train is coming off and she is going to make me a piece to snap into the top so I don't spill out at the dinner table. Then after dinner I can snap out th piece of material and be the "Bond Girl" I feel like haha!!

I love crinolines, corsets, and ball gowns but a cruise isn't really a place I'd wear that. Plus takes up too much room in my luggage. I can't do sleek and sexy either, my tummy needs hiding. So I bring fit and flare dresses cocktail length.

I have and I would again if I found one I was in love with. It's called FORMAL NIGHT if some people want to be party poopers that is their choice, as for us we do Formal :-)

I don't think anyone was pooping out either:eek:......I like formal nights

too:D...but the question was about what we would wear...right?

Just because I don't like a poofy ball gown doesn't mean I don't

enjoy dressing up:confused: