First cruise with Oceania

sjaak

Hello,

We're about to book our first cruise with Oceania. We have mainly cruised with Celebrity and although we have no complaints there, the food - especially the speciality restaurants - get boring since they seldom change the menus. So this time it was clear we had to book another cruiseline. Last week we received a very nice offer from our TA, so Oceania it is. Of course I've read a lot about O, now but I think I started already 2 years ago, so I'm sure O is a good choice.

Leaves me with 2 questions which I couldn't find an answer for. Do you have to take - and wear :eek: - the life jacket to the muster drill?

And one of the places we like most and spend lots of time at on Celebrity is Cafe Al Bacchio. I did see that Oceania has something similar with Barista, but couldn't find any good photos. It seems there is only place to sit at a bar? No comfy chairs? And I only saw pictures of paper cups :eek:

Please tell me I can get my cappuchinos in a decent porcelain cup :confused:

O, sorry, a third question came up :)

We will be embarking in Barcelona. From what I've read it seems O starts later than we are used to with boarding. We will have an early flight and arrive at the port before 10 am I guess. We are not familiair with the port of Barcelona. Will we be able to get rid of our suitcases? Is there a nice waitingroom? Will we really have to wait untill 2 or 3 for boarding? (we are in B1 btw)

Thank you for answering!

Edited by sjaak

but everything is new there--and we just went through the port. I am sure the wait is not that bad and it will be comfortable. Large new building. For us--that is us--we don't prefer Barcelona because of crime. I am not sure I would leave my luggage, but I am sure others will disagree with me.

Baristas mainly has a bar and it overlooks the pool. High stools, but right next to it there are some tables (low) and although you can't see the people at the bar, it is quite cozy. I do not drink coffee, but I think all I saw were paper cups. Of course if you get those drinks cappuchino, they are in little cups. It is very nice there. Very close to the computer room.

I am not sure if they start earlier boarding as I am always a bit later. I am sure others will post.

Many people took life jackets and some put them on. We went with out one and it was OK, much easier. Yes the coffee bar on the big ships just has high stools and some low tables. I have seen people take the coffee around the corner to the library chairs. Yes paper cups. It is not as nice as the one on X IMO.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Boarding is assigned by cabin. The higher grades of cabins board earlier and the lowest last. You can, however, leave your luggage at the port and go and enjoy Barcelona.

If you are on an R (the smaller) ship Baristas is in a very attractive space by the MDR with lots of comfortable couches and chairs.

Edited by orchestrapal

On the larger ships they have seating near Barristas for coffee just look either side of it

You can get coffee in real cups for indoors if you are going outside you will get paper cups for safety reasons

Boarding is staggered ...you probably can drop your bags at the port & take tour.... HOHO comes to mind

You may get lucky & board near 1 pm but do not count on it

Enjoy

Lyn

I have very occasionally seen people in lower level cabins board earlier -- but it depends on how many people are there at check-in when you arrive, and how many people are already in the buffet restaurant. You certainly cannot assume that you could board earlier than scheduled, but sometimes you luck out.

I think I'd do as was suggested -- take the luggage to the port, than do a little sightseeing. I don't recall any comfortable seating areas at the airport but then we never looked for any either. We always spend a few days prior to the cruise in Barcelona so it's just a matter of catching a cab when we're ready to leave.

On our last cruise (Marina) we had to bring our life jackets to the drill but they did ask us to put them on towards the end. Other times we arrived wearing them.

Mura

The announcement about muster drill always says, "if you are near your stateroom when the alarm sounds, bring your life jacket to the muster station. If you are elsewhere on the ship, go directly to the muster station and a life jacket will be provided."

Now, I've never seen them provide a life jacket for a drill. Therefore, we sort of make it our business to be away from our cabin when the alarm sounds. We show up without a life jacket and no one ever says anything. There will be crew members near your cabin when the drill starts; if you leave the cabin without a life jacket, they may send you back.

On Marina and Riviera the bar seating at Baristas is fun because you look out over the pool deck. However, there are a very few seats around the corner, and some seating on the patio nearby if the weather is good. Service is in china unless you are going to carry it out. I have not yet seen the Baristas on the "baby" ships, but the the Grand Bar area where it is located has always been comfortable. Seating may be limited if there's a crowd.

Cappuchinos are not limited to Baristas; Betsy gets one with almost evey meal. I don't drink coffee so can't comment on the quality, but everyone seems happy with what they get.

In Barcelona, we've never had to wait to board regardless of our cabin category. However, we"ve never arrived earlier than Noon. They may not be set up to board earlier than 11 or 11:30. If the ship is downtown at the World Trade Center you can simply cross the street and walk up the famous pedestrian street, La Rambla. If you are in the other port a couple of kilometers away, they may have a shuttle to the World Trade Center. If you have time, the HoHo bus is a great option, but you should have all day to take advantage of it.

If you're arriving at the airport, there are often private tour drivers offering a ride to the port for about the same $$ as a taxi. One of them would be happy to take you, and your luggage, on a brief tour of the city before dropping you off at the port, for a negotiated fee. When we did it, the driver was expert and the car was a MB.

Do you have to take - and wear - the life jacket to the muster drill?

It is requested that Passengers bring their life jackets TO the drill, but you won't have to wear it unless instructed to do so by the staff member in charge

I did see that Oceania has something similar with Barista, but couldn't find any good photos. It seems there is only place to sit at a bar? No comfy chairs? And I only saw pictures of paper cups

Please tell me I can get my cappuchinos in a decent porcelain cup

Riviera-Baristas-7892.JPGBaristas-300x225.jpg Yes and Yes :D

We will be embarking in Barcelona. From what I've read it seems O starts later than we are used to with boarding. We will have an early flight and arrive at the port before 10 am I guess. We are not familiair with the port of Barcelona. Will we be able to get rid of our suitcases? Is there a nice waitingroom? Will we really have to wait untill 2 or 3 for boarding? (we are in B1 btw)

Porters will be available at the Barcelona Port. As long as your luggage is properly labeled with Oceania Tags, there will be no issue with your dropping it off.

Boarding is assigned by cabin category.

Edited by StanandJim

Hello,

We're about to book our first cruise with Oceania. We have mainly cruised with Celebrity and although we have no complaints there, the food - especially the speciality restaurants - get boring since they seldom change the menus. So this time it was clear we had to book another cruiseline. Last week we received a very nice offer from our TA, so Oceania it is. Of course I've read a lot about O, now but I think I started already 2 years ago, so I'm sure O is a good choice.

Leaves me with 2 questions which I couldn't find an answer for. Do you have to take - and wear :eek: - the life jacket to the muster drill?

And one of the places we like most and spend lots of time at on Celebrity is Cafe Al Bacchio. I did see that Oceania has something similar with Barista, but couldn't find any good photos. It seems there is only place to sit at a bar? No comfy chairs? And I only saw pictures of paper cups :eek:

Please tell me I can get my cappuchinos in a decent porcelain cup :confused:

O, sorry, a third question came up :)

Thank you for answering!

For Barcelona, you can arrange a private transfer to the port ahead of time with a bit of a tour included. That way your luggage is secure. There are also tour companies that offer this service. Barcelona is a very pretty spot and well worth a glimpse of.

Thank you all for answering, very helpfull!

We just found out our flight will be leaving even one hour earlier than we expected at 6.30 am, which means we would land at 8.30 am. So a quick decision was made to fly one day before at the decent time of 1 pm (I'm no early bird at all :) ), book a nice hotel and spend the evening in a great restaurant. Sleep in, take our time for breakfast and take a little stroll to La Ramblas.

We are familiair with Barcelona. Someone responded not to feel safe in B, but it really is a nice town only be very aware of pickpockets. Mostly children of the age of 7/8 years old, they run and "accidently" bump in to you. They say sorry, but keep running ....... with your money or even jewelery. If you know this (and now you do :) ), there is no reason to feel unsafe, just make sure you have your money somewhere they cant pickpocket and leave your jewelery onboard or in the safe of your hotel.

Looking forward to our first cruise with Oceania.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

By five gypsies all dressed very well. He didn't have any jewelry on and only had 30 Euros. They wanted the tote bag that only had water in it and my ship card. He landed a punch on one and they all ran off. Still, you would think that they wouldn't do this to such a large guy. I don't wear any jewelry off the ship. Doesn't pay!

Jacqueline, I recommend the Cerviceria Catalana for dinner, a wonderful tapas restaurant a few blocks north of the Plaza Cataluña. They are extremely popular, they don't take reservations, but they are worth the wait.

If you have time, try to tour the Sagrada Familia, one of the most incredible pieces of architecture on the planet.

Jacqueline, I recommend the Cerviceria Catalana for dinner, a wonderful tapas restaurant a few blocks north of the Plaza Cataluña. They are extremely popular, they don't take reservations, but they are worth the wait.

If you have time, try to tour the Sagrada Familia, one of the most incredible pieces of architecture on the planet.

Just wanted to say hi to you and Mrs Riverpig! Still fabulous memories of dinner in Privee on the Riviera TA last year! :D

The announcement about muster drill always says, "if you are near your stateroom when the alarm sounds, bring your life jacket to the muster station. If you are elsewhere on the ship, go directly to the muster station and a life jacket will be provided."

Therefore, we sort of make it our business to be away from our cabin when the alarm sounds. We show up without a life jacket and no one ever says anything. There will be crew members near your cabin when the drill starts; if you leave the cabin without a life jacket, they may send you back.

B.

I wouldn't advise people to do this at all!!! I realise some think it is a nuisance etc., have done it before etc., but I think it is important to bring your life jacket and know how to wear it, tie the cords etc - I would hate to think people had never even tried one on - and in an emergency situation, still hadn't!!! Those are the sort who then put everyone else at risk!

I wan't offering any advice, simply relating my own choice. Those with previous experience with life jackets know who they are and are free to make whatever decision they like. I trust that those who do not have that experience are intelligent enough to make the correct choice for them. My point was to report my own experience with the option I choose, for those who might not have realized that option exists. Only a fool would consider that as advice.

I wan't offering any advice, simply relating my own choice. Those with previous experience with life jackets know who they are and are free to make whatever decision they like. I trust that those who do not have that experience are intelligent enough to make the correct choice for them. My point was to report my own experience with the option I choose, for those who might not have realized that option exists. Only a fool would consider that as advice.

I'm certainly no fool and I think your experience and choice may sit well with you, but to advocate this so-called option (which I don't think it is btw) is just plain wrong for the reason I stated previously.

I second this. Great place

Don has been on Oceania cruises often enough to know how to put the jacket on. We are in the same category and may indeed consider his approach next cruise, especially if it's the second drill on a specific cruise. (Probably not because DH's memory doesn't seem to be so good at practical things. Better safe than sorry with him.)

I'm quite sure Don wasn't suggesting that people who have never used the life jacket don't need to bother trying to get into it.

Mura

We have been cruising on and off since the mid-1980's and like you, are very familiar with many styles of life vests. We have attended many types of muster drills over the years, and prefer some muster drill methods over others. What I especially hate are drills where everyone has their life vest on from the beginning (or near the beginning) and are seated or standing throughout public areas, vests on, especially in restaurants. (I recall people wearing life vests sitting in the general dining room of Regatta, turning around to chat and their [likely unsanitized] vests brushing up against dinner settings.) People coughed (again, at tables with settings, plates and glasses faced upwards, ready for dinner service). My personal opinion is that restaurants should be off-limits for muster gatherings, for the reasons stated. (Or, if the space is needed, then do not ready the table settings for that first evening's meal.)

We prefer to familiarize ourselves with each ship's life vests in the comfort of our room on the first day, after I have sufficiently cleaned the vests.

I have severe knee arthritis from a sports injury decades ago, and standing at a lengthy muster drill bothers me greatly, so I try to line up on deck (if there is an additional deck muster) as late as possible, and wear the cleaned-by-me vest only if directed to do so.

Life vests protect the people wearing the vests, as far as I can tell, and I do not harm anyone else if my own vest is not worn to muster "just for show". One could even make the case that more people will fit in a life raft or tender without the vests on than otherwise, but I do fully understand SOLAS and its requirements and abide by them.

Of course, new cruisers or new-to-Oceania cruisers should, indeed, learn how to use and wear their life vest propertly. Not all vests are the same.

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

I've been following Don's posts for years and think he's absolutely one of the greatest. You too, Mura. However, I must disagree with you in this case.

I'm sure that Don didn't intend to suggest that folks unfamiliar with donning their lifejackets needn't bother to bring them to muster or to try them on while crew members for assistance are conveniently standing by with only a drill to conduct rather than an emergency evacuation.

I'm also sure that Don is correct in saying, "I trust that those who do not have that experience are intelligent enough to make the correct choice for them." Unfortunately, the correct choice for them may be a terrible choice for some of the rest of us should an emergency arise and we find ourselves stuck behind the inexperienced (but "intelligent") as they struggle with donning unfamiliar gear and/or distract emergency personnel or other passengers with their pleas for assistance.

Lots of newbies read this board. Just look at all the threads with titles like "New to cruising" or "New to Oceania." Where safety is concerned, it is irresponsible to assume that only experienced O cruisers will read and understand a little "nudge, nudge; wink, wink" regarding how to avoid the potential inconvenience caused by following established life-saving policies.

If anything is to be assumed, it should be that someone out there with bupkis for brains might read this and think, "Cool; what a neat idea…I look so unattractive in those big orange floaties; now I can skip wearing it!" Yes, that person would be a fool as Don correctly points out, but the world is full of fools (just watch reality TV) and we should not encourage their behavior. Especially when that behavior has the potential to harm the very person doing the encouraging.

When the poop hits the fan, there is no such thing as too much preparedness for everyone's safety. With all due respect to Don and to Mura, fairbourne's point remains appropriately cautionary and totally valid. IMO, of course.

I have to agree that the tables should NOT be set, until after the muster drill.

Our most recent cruise was the first time I have ever been in MDR for Muster, have always been in Lounge, and I was very surprised that the tables were set.

That also got me thinking about the cleanliness of the life vests... when it is on, coughs, sneezes, etc really haven't much place to go...even if it IS possible to sneeze into your elbow...

I put it on briefly, when instructed do so so, then take it off again.

Edited by tropicalkerry2002