Oasis of the Seas Bars Woman After Asking If She's Pregnamt

. Personally, I'd have told DH and sons to go ahead and board. I'd hussle to a clinic to get my "fit to travel" note then catch up with the ship as soon as I could. One person flying to Bahamas last minute is cheaper and easier to schedule than four.

I was thinking the same thing--why did they all decide not to board? Big waste of money. Personally, even if I did not get to sail, I would not want the rest of the family to also miss out. It is not like she was ill or injured and needed someone to take care of her.

Edited by NHDisneylover

Personally, I'd have told DH and sons to go ahead and board. I'd hussle to a clinic to get my "fit to travel" note then catch up with the ship as soon as I could. One person flying to Bahamas last minute is cheaper and easier to schedule than four.

I was thinking the same thing--why did they all decide not to board? Big waste of money. Personally, even if I did not get to sail, I would not want the rest of the family to also miss out. It is not like she was ill or injured and needed someone to take care of her.

If I was the DH, there's no way I'm getting on that ship for a family vacation without DW. Of course, I get trip insurance (any reason cancel), so it's not so much the money, it's about being together.

If I was the DH, there's no way I'm getting on that ship for a family vacation without DW. Of course, I get trip insurance (any reason cancel), so it's not so much the money, it's about being together.

I guess different strokes. I would figure the money is spent (we do not get cancel for any reason insurance) and vacation days used. I would want my husband and kids to at least get the use of it (and would want to incur less expense if I could catch up later on).

Not that I would have been in the situation to begin with. Like I said, this rule is one I have known about for years in spite of not looking to ever be pregnant again.

I guess different strokes. I would figure the money is spent (we do not get cancel for any reason insurance) and vacation days used. I would want my husband and kids to at least get the use of it (and would want to incur less expense if I could catch up later on).

Not that I would have been in the situation to begin with. Like I said, this rule is one I have known about for years in spite of not looking to ever be pregnant again.

Honestly, if this would have happened to me, I would be getting a taxi to the closest urgent treatment center and trying to get the doctor's note there. At the same time, I'd have DW contact her OBGYN and see if they'd be willing to fax something. Missing the ship would be far down on the list.

Here's another question for you... if your DH was denied boarding, would you board with your kids leaving him at the dock as you sailed?

For me, it's easy to say *I* would stay at the dock and let the rest of the family sail, but I can't say I would leave DW at the dock. Does that make sense?

These people were seasoned/veteran cruisers, in fact quick to put that info out on the vid. Like they didn't know:rolleyes: Over 6 cruises under their belt

I've been on more than 10 cruises on 3 cruise lines and I can say that this thread took me a little by surprise. Since pregnancy is not an issue for me, I would never be denied boarding but I've also never been asked by cruise staff to confirm my not pregnant status.

I don't argue the rule and I believe everyone who says it's in the documents but this is still news to me, veteran cruiser that I am.

Hang on one minute. Times have changed from twenty years ago when a woman was two weeks late with her period before she knew if she was pregnant. Now with the early, over the counter pregnancy tests, a woman can know she is pregnant BEFORE she even misses her period. It sounds to me like this lady took one of these very early tests just before they left on the cruise. If this is so, there is no way that she would have even had a chance to see her OB/GYN! How on earth are you supposed to get a note saying you can cruise if you haven't even had your pregnancy confirmed by a doctor? She obviously made a huge mistake in being honest when answering that very intrusive question! I would guess that she took the early test just to find out if she could safely consume alcohol on the cruise.

What is next? Ma'am have you had unprotected sex since your last menstrual period? Yes? Oh sorry, you 'might' be pregnant so you can't cruise? It is one thing for a woman to fail to get a note when she sees her doctor. It is quite another to expect a woman to get a note BEFORE she has even seen her doctor.

My thoughts are that she was experiencing morning sickness and had tale tale flushing from throwing up. When queried about that responded with something that indicated a follow up pregnancy question was in order (you know *laugh* No, it's nothing that won't resolve itself in 9 months*laugh*

I can't decide if I would have been a smart aleck and say:

"No, but the faster I can get on this ship, the faster I can get that way!!"

OR if I would have pulled a total drama queen and started crying saying she called me fat. I can't help it...I guess I can be a bit dramatic. ;)

I agree that rules are rules, and the couple probably should have known since they have sailed before several times...But it sounds like the lady at the counter just didn't use her common sense. I believe Royal was in the wrong by not accepting the note that she DID so hastily provide, in order to get on the ship in time. There are always 3 sides to every story though...

Common sense? There are rules. I feel for the lady but we have to take responsibility to know the rules. We live in a world where people sue on the drop of a hat. This had nothing to do with using common sense. It was the CS doing their job.

Edited by cruisingator2

I think this women was caught totally off guard with surprise to think someone might actually tell she was pregnant and that's why she said yes she was.

My True Story: when I was told I was pregnant years ago just over 2 months

(no way of telling before that) I had to take a taxi home from the mall. I was very tiny and petite back then, no showing whatsoever and you wouldn't at 2 months anyway, I got into a cab and the driver said to me after a couple of minutes "your pregnant aren't you"? Well I was so shocked to hear him say that, of course I said yes. He said it was a glow I had.

Well I am guessing the person behind the counter never asked because of a glow. More like they were new at the job and asking all the questions they were trained to ask.

How many women or men read the policy concerning pregnancy when your think your not pregnant.:rolleyes:

Edited by ShipRiders

Obviously, this is discrimination on the basis of pregnancy - whether legal discrimination or not I do not know. There are any number of physical/medical conditions which carry greater risk over a week of travel than a pregnancy less than 4 weeks. Actually, it would be hard to think of a significant condition that would have less risk than a pregnancy of less than 4 weeks. RC does not screen every passenger for their fitness to travel - but for the little questionnaire which is pretty limited.

Why not just require a "fit to travel" doctor's note for every passenger? Just make it a "rule" and apparently lots of people will think it just fine.

Common sense? There are rules. I feel for the lady but we have to take responsibility to know the rules. We live in a world where people sue on the drop of a hat. This had nothing to do with using common sense. It was the CS doing their job.

Right, but she also said that she had just found out a few days before she left. Everyone knows what a hassle it is to get ready to leave on a vacation. I don't blame her not thinking to get a note from a doctor that she hasn't even seen yet.

Royal could have used common sense when she said she had only found out a few days prior, to let their medical staff look at her and determine if she could go. That's what they would do for someone with a cough, or other issue if I am not mistaken. And the fact that she got a note after all before she left should have sufficed in this instance. Obviously if the other doctor's note that WAS sufficient for Royal (given without even doing a preggo test!) was okay, she wouldn't have been allowed to "catch up" to the ship later.

Right, but she also said that she had just found out a few days before she left. Everyone knows what a hassle it is to get ready to leave on a vacation. I don't blame her not thinking to get a note from a doctor that she hasn't even seen yet.

Royal could have used common sense when she said she had only found out a few days prior, to let their medical staff look at her and determine if she could go. That's what they would do for someone with a cough, or other issue if I am not mistaken. And the fact that she got a note after all before she left should have sufficed in this instance. Obviously if the other doctor's note that WAS sufficient for Royal (given without even doing a preggo test!) was okay, she wouldn't have been allowed to "catch up" to the ship later.

The reason why RCI did not allow the ships doctors to evaluate her is simple. It is liability. The ships doctors are not trained in this area and if they were to allow her to board and something did happen then they would be liable. The lady had a note from a doctor who stated she was fit to travel even without doing a number of different tests and only going by her word on her medical conditions. This relieved RCI of all responsibility if something terrible were to happen.

What happened was unfortunate but the rules are there.

I agree with another poster who said that it should be something you are asked on the on line check in to eliminate people not knowing about this.

Sorry, I'm siding with the woman on this one. Those of you who say she should have gotten a doctor's note...

1) How many of you knew RCI's policy before this story came out?

2) How many of you have been asked/heard other cruisers asked if they might possibly be pregnant when checking in?

If RCI is going to enforce pregnant women having a doctor's note (regardless of how far along they are), then they need to ask EVERY woman at check in if they might be pregnant.

So when does it become responsibility of the person sailing to inform themselves of all the regulations before they board the ship. As far as to the ones that would lie why do I have the feeling that there would be an impending lawsuit if when they were on board and God forbid something terrible happened causing the death of their new born child.

Ask very woman? Granny too? Sorry no sympathy here. Once again self interest trumps responsibility.

The reason why RCI did not allow the ships doctors to evaluate her is simple. It is liability. The ships doctors are not trained in this area and if they were to allow her to board and something did happen then they would be liable. The lady had a note from a doctor who stated she was fit to travel even without doing a number of different tests and only going by her word on her medical conditions. This relieved RCI of all responsibility if something terrible were to happen.

What happened was unfortunate but the rules are there.

I agree with another poster who said that it should be something you are asked on the on line check in to eliminate people not knowing about this.

Exactly, it is all about the liability. If anything was to happen to this woman out at sea and the medical center could not handle it, there would be a lawsuit. Thank our sue happy society.

Interesting thought to put a question on the on line check in but then again, what else would you need to add? Most people would be upset to have to go through all the necessary questions. Just did my check in and it makes you scroll through your contact. If you do not read you are taking responsibility.

Why? Because there's a possibility that there's another side to the story? :D I'm not sure which are worse the cheerleaders or the brow beaters who call people cheerleaders. :rolleyes: Not everyone who disagrees with your point of view is a cheerleader.

It's funny how I did not direct this comment at anyone specific but the cheerleaders subconsciously know who they are! In all seriousness, did not mean to offend anyone and you should not take my comments figuratively but RCL is in the wrong here. Unless they asked everyone whether they were pregnant, they are flat out wrong.

It's funny how I did not direct this comment at anyone specific but the cheerleaders subconsciously know who they are! In all seriousness, did not mean to offend anyone and you should not take my comments figuratively but RCL is in the wrong here. Unless they asked everyone whether they were pregnant, they are flat out wrong.

Because you know this how?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is just silly on RCCLs part....common sense must prevail....

"Common sense" and "legal" don't always go hand in hand. If for some reason, a medical emergency does happen during the cruise and it's discovered that the passenger was allowed to board without a doctor's note and they sue, the lawyers are not going to care about what "makes sense" but about what the contract says.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I haven't been asked at check in but when booking I have been asked if I was pregnant. I was well aware of the policy and spoke to my doctor about the note. As I was having twins I was considered high risk but my doctor told me for the purposes of the cruise line they only wrote that I was fit to travel and left out anything about high risk. They just need to cover themselves in case of early delivery of other problems. If you don't read the policy that is your fault. She found out three days before and could have gotten a doctor's note. While her situation seems silly if she had a miscarriage on board what this thread would say is "cruise line allows pregnant women to board and miscarriages" and they would be liable for not following their policy. It is a safety issue for the mom, baby and legal issue for the cruise line. That is why they have these policies, to protect moms, babies and of course themselves.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

You would think that this families travel agent would have suggested to them to read up on the policies since they were 1st time cruisers on rci, even though they are seasoned cruisers with 7 cruises completed

And it seems rci offered them a cruise(must have been allure) the very next day if a cabin was vacant but the family refused to wait and find out.

Edited by setsail

It needs to be a question on the online check in for women of child bearing age AND state exactly what the policy is and explain what has to be in the letter.

Carnival asks the question to women of childbearing age on on their site when filling out the online check-in.

Carnival also abides by the 24 week rule and requires a doctor's note stating that the woman is fit to travel and does not have a high risk pregnancy.

I can see how a TA could have helped in this situation. The TA should advise their clients of this rule. Back in the day when I was one, we were always faxing in these letters for clients. It is nothing new.

Exactly, it is all about the liability. If anything was to happen to this woman out at sea and the medical center could not handle it, there would be a lawsuit. Thank our sue happy society.

Interesting thought to put a question on the on line check in but then again, what else would you need to add? Most people would be upset to have to go through all the necessary questions. Just did my check in and it makes you scroll through your contact. If you do not read you are taking responsibility.

So, then if I come up there with a cough & runny nose due to allergies...they have the ship's medical staff okay me to travel, saying it's just allergies as I claimed. Then, it turns out, I had something that spreads to everyone, aren't they liable there? I think the part that I don't understand about the whole thing is that she scrambled to get the note as they asked BEFORE the ship left, but they refused it. That part just doesn't make sense to me.

As someone else mentioned...a home pregnancy test could be a false positive. If someone asks me at any given time "Any chance you could be pregnant?" The answer is "Well, sure, there's always a possibility." I get them trying to cover themselves, but it still seems like it could have been handled a bit differently on their end in my opinion. Which, is just that...my opinion only :)

1) How many of you knew RCI's policy before this story came out?

Totally knew. Every line has something similar. When I was newly married, we always checked and did the math "just so we would know" what would happen to our plans if we concieved........ also, imagine if something horrific did happen onbpard and the cruiseship was not adequately prepared.......