Nice Changes Coming...

Working 2 Cruise

Maybe when Princess adds a specialty restaurant that knocks my socks off I will want to be one of the first on board. Till then we will take our chances getting a reservation which up to now has not been a problem.

A mob scene to book CG or Sabatinis?

I have never seen that.

We only make a res sometimes 1 or 2 days out and most of the time just show up.

I sure hope they don't allow pre bookings, some will never get in as is the case with the Sanctuary.

I don't book specialty restaurants as we don't see the need to do so. But on some cruises, the head waiter seems to make the rounds asking if he can make ressies for the Sabatinis, etc. In fact, when we were gifted with a complimentary dinner there on our last cruise, the head waiter was able to get us in the very next night. So unless several people are celebrating special occasions on the same cruise and want the same night...it doesn't seem to be a problem eating in those venues.

I don't book specialty restaurants as we don't see the need to do so. But on some cruises' date=' the head waiter seems to make the rounds asking if he can make ressies for the Sabatinis, etc. In fact, when we were gifted with a complimentary dinner there on our last cruise, the head waiter was able to get us in the very next night. So unless several people are celebrating special occasions on the same cruise and want the same night...it doesn't seem to be a problem eating in those venues.[/quote']

We go at least twice every cruise and have never seen or had a problem.

Did any body pay for their cruise the day before NO If I could wait until then to pay then, I would do so.

how many of you paid for your flight the day before more than likely nobody That is because it costs so much more then. If I could wait until then to pay for a reservation made earlier, I would do so.

how many of you pre pay when you go out to a movie at home Not us

most of you pre pay your taxes every two weeks to bad you can't wait till April and write a 15000.00 dollar check and make money on your tax money I would wait if there were not penalties for paying at least 90% of it in advance.

I am just saying their are a lot of things we pre pay for it's just an offer they aren't making you do it cool your jets people.We always pre pay that way our budget is done no worry.

see above

:eek: YIKES! :eek:

Like Colo Cruiser I've never had to be one of the "first on the ship" nor found any "mob scene" to reserve a specialty restaurant. I have signatures shut off when viewing CC so manually adding the number of cruises doesn't add much credibility to me. :rolleyes:

Ditto that. I went to a specialty restaurant three times on my last cruise and had no problems getting reservations when I wanted them. As a matter of fact, the specialty restaurants were half empty every time I was there or walked past.

Ditto that. I went to a specialty restaurant three times on my last cruise and had no problems getting reservations when I wanted them. As a matter of fact, the specialty restaurants were half empty every time I was there or walked past.

I agree they always seem to be quiet. ;)

:eek: YIKES! :eek:

Like Colo Cruiser I've never had to be one of the "first on the ship" nor found any "mob scene" to reserve a specialty restaurant. I have signatures shut off when viewing CC so manually adding the number of cruises doesn't add much credibility to me. :rolleyes:

And that's the problem for Princess. I don't think we have ever seen a specialty restaurant full, but we don't frequent them often, so perhaps sometimes they are. I can see where Princess could increase their bottom line if people thought they had to book and prepay ahead of their cruise in order to secure a reservation. I can also see where it would be good for them to have an idea of how many people they would be serving each night

Princess wishes there was a mob scene to book the restaurants! ;)

That's the way we see it!!! And prepayment might be just what does it!

Guess we'll just wait to see what Princess comes up with and hope they keep the flexibility they now offer.

Edited by Bucky3

I would like to be able to pre-reserve online but not have to pre-pay. This would be just like making a reservation at a land restaurant with no penalty for cancelation. It would also be like the current Princess system of pre-booking shore excursions without having to pre-pay and being able to cancel. Hope Princess makes changes that enhance our experience, not changes for the worse like implementing required pre-payment if you want to pre-reserve!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was misunderstood on the "mob scene." Not referring to the a mob scene to book the specialty restaurants, but rather that on the pier to embark the ship. I know all too well it is a far less stressful embarkation to arrive at the pier around 2pm where generally you can walk right on. I much prefer to do that. But the problem is that then hitting the Crown Grill to set up reservations in that "mid-afternoon" time period we have been turned down for our requested time of about 8pm more than once.

I realize there are those who want to free wheel it and that is fine. But life is about choices and options and with Princess for so long not having the option to reserve specialty restaurants in advance, they are losing folks like ourselves to whom it is important.

Worldspan

134 cruises strong

I personally do not mind pre-paying the gratuities. I consider them part of the cruise fare.....they are a mandatory, not optional, fee so why not include them in the total cruise fare and be done with it at final payment......just my opinion:D.

Now pre-paying excursions, specialty restaurants is another story:eek:

I am another who likes the opportunity to prepay gratuities as we have done for our forthcoming Celebrity cruise and as we have also done in the past on a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises. Have also in the past paid for some P&O excursions in advance. It all means a smaller end of cruise bill and I, for one, would like all cruiselines to rename the gratuities as a cruise service charge and build them into the cruise price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't see this as a benefit. What I see is a bunch of impulsive bookings that will no doubt be canceled once on board. If you want to budget and not have an on board bill just add up the cost and apply that amount to your credit card so when you are billed the deposit you made on your card will cover the expense.

Edited by Iamcruzin

On the first Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess, the Crown Grill was completely booked for the whole 5 days of the cruise. Thankfully we became friends with Alfredo Farsi on the TA cruise. We ran into him on Princess cays and asked about getting a reservation in the Crown Grill. He did just that and found a table for 6 of us.

But with that said, that was the only time we ever had a full restaurant in the Crown Grill. No need to book before the cruise.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

We were in a sales promotion on our last two cruises that provided a free specialty dining. We were fortunate enough to have one at the Crown Grill and the other at Sabatini's. Neither place was crowded when we ate there. Sabinitinis had four table of diners and the a Crown Grill had a few more than that - maybe 8 to 10 tables.

Quite frankly, I wasn't that impressed. I didn't like Sabatini's at all. The Crown a Grill was okay, but other than the ambiance, the food was good, but not great. I know others will disagree, but that was my experience.

Try it, you may like it.

Edited by redtogo

Hi All

Few years ago getting into Crown grill etc on the date and time you wanted was not that easy you were often told we are full then

But on my last few cruises you would have thought the Crown grill was closed as it was empty to the point as you walked past to get to dinner waiters were inviting folks why not try the grill instead

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

The last time we did Crown Grill on Caribbean Princess, it left a lot to be desired. We tried to book in advance for our anniversary and they said that the night we were interested in was fully booked until after 9pm. We agreed to that but we walked past the restaurant twice that evening and it was two thirds empty both times. When we turned up for our table, it was almost three quarters empty but we still had poor service whilst a large table of officers/staff were being given all the attention. Did not complain even though the food was not that good but just put it down to experience. We would not pay the extra again. We have had better food and service in the Sterling Steakhouses on other ships. Been to Sabatinis on two occasions; one was absolutely stellar with no complaints (Ruby), the other I had a huge black, curly hair on my plate (think it was on Golden, but not sure) 😔😔😔

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To me being able to prepay or to prebook for the specialty restaurants is not a good ideas. Prepayment would likely result in fewer people people being able to make reservations on the ship; pre-reservation without a cancellation fee could result in too many no-shows and thus empty tables because others were unable to make a reservation onboard.

I have also seen specialty restaurants being about half empty & the explanation given to me was because they stagger reservation times some tables are vacant. When booking on short notice we have been unable to get an early seating time but I prefer that situation to the problems prepayment or pre-reservation would create.

I understand that some prefer to spread out their cruise expenses over several credit card billing cycles. However that can currently be done by gifting themselves OBC in advance over several billing cycles. I think it would be convenient if we could go online to purchase things already available to be purchased by fax or by calling Princess. And that would probably result in a cost savings for Princess by not requiring staff to process faxed or called in prepaid orders.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We took a cruise in the spring on Celebrity and quickly came back home to Princess. Paying my tips up front because I eat in Anytime,pre paying for all trips via the cruise line is just not in the cards for me. I do not understand why people put up with this. I don't pay for my car, my groceries, my gas, etc. in advance, why should I "loan" my savings to a cruise line?

How about your cruise fare? Your airfare, dont you prepay for those before the services are rendered? My guess is Princess will end up having you prepay, but of course not for you convenience. I'm sure this money at Rccl sits in an acount earning interest, another money maker.

Just out of curiosity, do any of the CCL brands make you prepay shore ex or dinner resi? Just wondering if its just Princess or the whole corp...

Also don't shore ex book up fast then with people not making up their minds and just book a lot of things they will not do?

Believe me i dont really like prepaying either but its what I have to do to sail the line I choose I guess :o

If you pre-book and pay for shore excursions on P&O, you get a discounted price to that paid if booked on the ship. That would encourage me to pre-book any shore excursions I really wanted to do.

By booking excursions early on Princess it's somewhat like receiving a discount because many tours increase by as much as double before the tour begins. I don't think Princess cares if passengers cancel tours onboard because they generally have a wait list of passengers who will be charged the higher price.

Booking shore excursions without having to prepay is a great option and one I hope Princess does NOT change.

How about your cruise fare? Your airfare, dont you prepay for those before the services are rendered? My guess is Princess will end up having you prepay, but of course not for you convenience.

How often do you make a restaurant reservation on land and have to pre-pay it?

Just out of curiosity, do any of the CCL brands make you prepay shore ex or dinner resi? Just wondering if its just Princess or the whole corp... Holland America and Carnival are two examples where you must pay of shore ex when you make the reservations.

Believe me i dont really like prepaying either but its what I have to do to sail the line I choose I guess :o

see above in red