Caribbean in December vs January

eandreol

Hello everyone. Long time reader, first time poster here. I want to thank you all for the invaluable information you have provided over the years.

I have been on one Celebrity cruise and am currently planning another. I am deciding between December 14th and January 11th for seven day western Caribbean on the Silhouette.

Here is what I know:

-Port loads look about the same

-Prices are similar for desired cabins (1B or 1C)

-Flight prices are similar

-The propulsion problem is being fixed January 4th.

Here is what I would like to know:

-Is one date likely to be less crowded? Or have less kids? We are trying to relax.

-Should I be worried about the propulsion problem? (Or should I be more worried about booking the first cruise after dry dock?)

-Any other thoughts or considerations?

Thank you again for all the help.

I'd go after the ship is fixed...b/c before hand you know there is still an issue..

also if you will need to fly after the cruise on Dec 21st, airports might

be more crowded just before the holidays...

We love January cruising and try and do one every year. Hardly any school age kids and just a few infants and toddlers. Don't worry about the prop problems as in the scheme of things, it's something you can't do anything about.

I think the January date is likely to have a lot fewer kids on board. Many college breaks start in mid-December.

For either cruise, I would make sure to arrange to be in port at least a day ahead if you are flying, two would be preferable. Winter weather can cause all kinds of difficulties and planes fly so full these days it is hard to have a back-up plan.

My only other comment by date is that if you cruise on the December one they will likely have it decorated very pretty for the holidays. Not sure that trumps a more quiet sailing but it is a very nice touch.

December 14th- The Ship will be all decked out in it's Holiday finest. There 'should' be a bit more 'mature' passenger mix since this is the week before most schools let out, ie: not many families or kids till the next couple of sailings.

January 11th-There 'should' be a bit more 'mature' passenger mix:D since this is the week after most schools return from holiday, ie: not many families or kids till the Easter and spring break.

So, will you have most of your Holiday shopping done before you sail if you chose the 14th? Or have to rush around to get it finished after you return?

Or do you wind down after the Holiday and recover from all the entertaining of family & friends with a wonderful 7 days of watching the deep blue sea as you sip on something cold on your private veranda?:)

Oh My! Now I see why you are in a mess about which to chose!:D

Thank you for the input! I had not thought about the holiday decorations. That would be a nice touch.

The ports will also have some decorations. They will be a little different and amusing as they are adapted to the Caribbean.

Happy sailings 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Greetings

Surprised that the December cruise isn't less. The December cruise is in the "dead zone" between Thanksgiving and Christmas when there is usually much less demand for vacation trips. I've seen some fantastic offers for both land vacations and cruises for those weeks.

Good Sailing

Tom

Edited by tunaman2011

Greetings

Surprised that the December cruise isn't less. The December cruise is in the "dead zone" between Thanksgiving and Christmas when there is usually much less demand for vacation trips. I've seen some fantastic offers for both land vacations and cruises for those weeks.

Good Sailing

Tom

i agree ... there are usually great deals in december ... january ..not so much

Tunaman and Riandei,

You are both right. With Celebrity's current weekend sale, the December cruise is slightly cheaper.

If there are not clear reasons to choose January, it would make sense to think about the price difference.

Never done a December cruise but we do love our January cruises - been in January each year for last 5 years. Though weather leaving the northeast can affect plane schedules and cold snaps can get into the Caribbean. Key West and CoCo Cay in 2010 were cold!

Greetings

Good Sailing

Tom

The above is quite true. It's a great time to get a good deal but the timing just doesn't work for many of us. Guess that's why there are so many fantastic offers. :D

LuLu

We have sailed on the Summit out of San Juan each of the past 2 Decembers. We have gone the first week of December and each time have booked based on the Tuesday email discounts. One year in a Suite and one year CC (which I wouldn't normally book but it was the one discounted). Both prices were fantastic and the ship was decorated beautifully. We've never been in January but the first week of December has been great for us. Very few kids (although I don't mind most of them :)) and just a good time to cruise.

Both months can have good deals and the dates you are looking at would be those times. Also as has been said, children are less in numbers during the off times. I agree with the possibility of flights and post cruise hotels being possibly more expensive and crowded at the end of the Dec. dates

One other consideration if you are water people is that with northern or western Caribbean ports, water is generally at its coldest in January and February. If there is a warm fall with low rainfalls in these areas, the waters can be warmer in Dec. That is dependent on fall weather factors but it has generally been our experience. We love both months for cruising because of the exact reasons you are choosing. I am sure you weill enjoy either date!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Not many children, warmer water at Western Caribbean ports, lower rates, if leaving from FL weather is usually warmer at embarkation port, lower hotel rates in FL usually for night before cruise.

A comment about water temp's. We sailed the 1st week Dec in 2012, and the week before Thanksgiving 2013, both in the Eastern. 2012 the ocean at Princess Cay was very 'cool':eek: my wife commented about this in one of the shops, and the lady said to her, " Mam, it is winter here too"!:D Cool but swim able in St Thomas & St Marteen

In 2013 the water temp in St Marteen and St Thomas was wonderful.

Number of children should be few on either cruise. The Dec one will have the Christmas decorations. Hotels are likely less before Christmas than in January.

I would look at the price of the cruise + air + hotel night before and go with whichever is least.

Celebrity has said they are only doing propulsion fix in the dry-dock, so I would not expect any major issues there. In fact, I expect they will wait until they disembark all the passengers on January 4 to remove the holiday decorations, then spend the extra days to do deep cleaning and maintenance they often work around passengers to do, so that the ship is extra clean and in tip-top shape on Jan 11. That also gives the crew a chance to have their holiday party after the passengers are gone.