Any Time, My Time, Select, Free Style????

NCL seems to be going to a reserved seating option in their MDRs. That, in theory, makes freestyle dining not as efficient as their old freestyle dining. If a certain percentage of tables are reserved, that means that true freestylers will have a longer line at the doors. There is a pretty long line because each group has to provide their cards or cabin info to the hostess. On a larger ship, only having one person controlling the guests' seating is not efficient. We were given pagers at times and instructed to wait in the lounge. I had read (but not used or observed) that tables could be reserved in the MDR on my sailing this past May.

Freestyle seemed to work more efficiently in the past. I'm not sure what the problem is now. One thing that I do like is that there were signs to encourage guests to share tables with other passengers. We always asked for this option and enjoyed it. You would think this would make the experience more efficient, but it obviously didn't. I think there is a cutback on staff and that is what affected the efficiency.

As mentioned, NCL takes credit for being the first to offer it, but many now do and for the most part the programs are essentially the same.

RCI, as one example, also still offers traditional early / late seating along with their My Time Dining on all ships to offer both options. (Except the soon to be launched Quantum class ships, which will feature "Dynamic Dining" for all their venues, which essentially will be an enhanced MTD program without the early / late fixed option).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

NCL does one more thing differently with freestyle. They have the same dress codes all the time instead of having formal nights. They have some nights that are designated as "dress up or not" when the photographers are out in force and the Captain is usually available for photos. You do not have to dress up to participate.

NCL does one more thing differently with freestyle. They have the same dress codes all the time instead of having formal nights. They have some nights that are designated as "dress up or not" when the photographers are out in force and the Captain is usually available for photos. You do not have to dress up to participate.

That sounds similar to RCI's Dynamic Dining upcoming on Quantum class where there will be one of the eighteen restaurants that will always be formal for those who wish but not at any of the other seventeen. This one venue is also one of the nine no charge venues planned.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

That sounds similar to RCI's Dynamic Dining upcoming on Quantum class where there will be one of the eighteen restaurants that will always be formal for those who wish but not at any of the other seventeen. This one venue is also one of the nine no charge venues planned.

The biggest difference is NCL has this policy on all their ships