How do we get to Seward from Anchorage?

kkmcan

I am trying to figure out how to get to Seward. How did you guys do it- bus, train or shuttle or?

What do you recommend? Train came up at $85 per person- kinda steep for us. Where else should we be looking?

Thanks!

We did the train. We splurged and did Gold Star service and for us, it was totally worth it. Relaxing with my mom while drinking Mimosas and seeing the stunning scenery is a memory that will last the rest of my life. Have you looked into getting a TourSaver or Northern Lights coupon book? Last year they had discounts on Adventure Class tickets. Not sure if that holds again for this year.

The train does leave early in the morning, but works great if you are going to combine it with a Kenai Fjords tour. We did this and Major Marine picked us up right at the train and took us to their office so we could pick up our tickets and then board the boat.

If you are staying in Seward for a night pre-cruise, the railroad and some hotels have agreements that the railroad will deliver your luggage to the hotel to free you up to do other things in Seward. I know the Holiday Inn Express is one of those hotels as that is where we stayed.

I also opted for the GoldStar class on the train. but just like olemissreb said you can get the coupon book and get 2-for-1 coupon on the Adventure class. (as long as you're not going on a weekend). I am viewing this as an excursion, not merely a transfer. I think the cheapest way is to use a bus. there are other threads on this, do a search.

it's not like Seward is a suburb of Anchorage; it's 125 miles away! A 2 1/2 hr drive.

Your choices are Park Connection Bus, Seward Busline, Alaska Railroad, cruiseline train, cruiseline transfer, independent transfer.

If there are a few of you to share the cost, a one-way rental car can be an option. It's pricey tho because of the drop off fee and Hertz is the only vendor in town.

Another vote for the Alaska Railroad. It was the best train ride of my life. They do slow down for the scenery and wildlife. I did the Adventure Class and people took turns going to the dome upstairs and that was fine for us. We still saw a lot.

The only way to go is to drive it yourself. This is from a person on CC who realized that going by train is a really lousy way to see AK - different trip but the conclusion is still the same -

"We did not take the train up to Denali, and were very happy with our choice to drive (minivan with six people). On our drive up, we had the only clear day for Mt. McKinley in two weeks. We were glad we could stop, pull off and take as many gorgeous pictures as we wanted at several different points (as well as stop to hang out with a mama and baby moose on the side of the road for a little while)."

They would have gotten none of that if they took the train. The drive from Anchorage to Seward is wonderful. You drive along Turnagain Arm. You get to stop at the Wildlife Rescue Park. If you do a short detour, you get to see Portage Glacier.

Check put this post for a description of the drive -

http://rememberalaska.com/attractions/highway-seward.html

You can stop at Indian Valley Meats to pick up some beef or salmon jerky

http://www.indianvalleymeats.com/

If you take the train,all you get to see if scenery whizzing by if you are lucky enough to be looking out the window at precisely the right time.

I can not imagine why anyone takes a train in a scenic area anywhere but especially in AK.

DON

Thanks everyone for the advice and options! We are a family of 4 so this can get costly if we do the train or even a bus transfer. I'll need to do some more research to see what would work best for us.

Hertz offers rental cars but they are over $200/day (we looked at it for a cruise we're looking at taking). Gas in Alaska is high in the summer (4-4.50/gallon). So added up you may not save renting a car. I honestly think the train ride is beautiful and would seriously consider it but I think the motor coaches are cheaper at 50ish a person and no gas prices.

Thanks everyone for the advice and options! We are a family of 4 so this can get costly if we do the train or even a bus transfer. I'll need to do some more research to see what would work best for us.

Highly recommend the train, but my real concerns that you need to be aware that everything is pricey in AK.

Try using

www.alaskacruisetransfer.com

It should be approx $42-48.00 pp

We used this private bus company this past May for our Seward-ANC

Worked out well for the 5 of us.

So for 5 of you, the minimum cost for the bus would be $210 and might be as much as $248. How much would a car rental cost? If you rent a car, you control your experience instead of having your experience controlled. To me, that is worth a lot of money.

Obviously people's needs and interests vary but I would not recommend the train to my worst enemy.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

So for 5 of you, the minimum cost for the bus would be $210 and might be as much as $248. How much would a car rental cost? If you rent a car, you control your experience instead of having your experience controlled. To me, that is worth a lot of money.

Obviously people's needs and interests vary but I would not recommend the train to my worst enemy.

DON

Our decision to use the bus from Seward-ANC was based on the fact that we (5 of us) were traveling with a 17 month grandson that would have needed a car seat...we had 7 pieces of luggage, carryon, backpack, diaperbag & travel stroller. We also had an early (1:25pm) flight home...so getting us quickly ( arriving at 10:30am) and directly to ANC and allowing us to checkin get some lunch and change the baby...made our decision easy to take a private company large bus.

We have taken the cruiseline transfer train a few time and loved it but not only was the timing cutting it too close (with RCI you must not have a same day flight booked before 2:30pm)..not only that but the seating on the transfer train is at a table for four facing each other...and where would we have sat the baby on top of the table :confused:

The transfer train is an amazing 126 mile narrated trip that many enjoy and I would recommend it to anyone and those that I have loved it too.