All Inclusive

Cruising89143

NCL announced a new "All Inclusive" package today. I wonder if this is the start and we will see other cruise lines including Celebrity follow? I personally would not be interested as there are some items in the package that do not interest me like the photos.

From Cruise Industry News

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11401-norwegian-new-all-inclusive-package.html

Edited by cruisingator2

NCL announced a new "All Inclusive" package today. I wonder if this is the start and we will see other cruise lines including Celebrity follow? I personally would not be interested as there are some items in the package that do not interest me like the photos.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11401-norwegian-new-all-inclusive-package.html

For a number of years, we vacationed at all inclusives and resisted cruising due to the "nickel and diming". While we made the transition, it still irks me to have to pay extra to get a half-decent cup of coffee or to enjoy some variety in dining. So I hope that we do start to see some movement towards all (more?) inclusive packages. Price and what's included, of course, will be big factors in determining the success of such packages. Like you, photos hold no interest to me, but I know they do for others.

I'm not a big supporter of all-inclusive. Crystal went almost all-inclusive (drinks, specialty restaurants, tips and maybe a little more) and I don't cruise with them as much because of it, because it costs me more, isn't cost effective because, I'm not a big drinker and I have no plans to pay extra to support someone else's drinking. I kind of like the idea that NCL is doing, because those that want it would be paying for it and they are not requiring everyone to participate. Even saying that, I don't think I'd pay $899 when I would only be interested in the Ultimate Dining Package, water, internet and shore excursion credit, but if someone uses all the things in the package, it is a great deal. Would be interesting if they would have a make your own all-inclusive package....if your package contained a certain dollar amount, they would discount the items included, that way people could customize their all inclusive package.

Edited by NLH Arizona

The unlimited shore excursions are interesting. Do people want them? Will there be enough seats in the bus? Will they encourage early booking in Europe? Lol

Celebrity has some packages, but they always include one we have already done or include a port we have already booked privately.

I think NCL is a credit of $200 or less for shore excursions, not unlimited. This is probably their way of solving the problem.

I know on Crystal, they included the specialty restaurans when they went almost all inclusive, but soon found out that some passengers were eating in them every night, thus not everyone could partake. What they did was charge a $30 reservation fee for your second night on a 7 day cruise, so a few didn't monopolize the restaurants, because lets face it if it is free many will go, if they have to pay for the second time, many will not go.

NCL is an industry innovator and once again they are trying something new. I think it's fine to give people a choice. I do see a danger if the "optional choice" becomes mandatory. One should remember that any package is designed to benefit the bottom line of the company that develops it. They calculate what they need to include to move the product and the price that will pretty much guarantee a predictable profit. The customer has the ability to make a decision based on their on analysis of cost versus advantage to them.

NCL is an industry innovator and once again they are trying something new. I think it's fine to give people a choice. I do see a danger if the "optional choice" becomes mandatory. One should remember that any package is designed to benefit the bottom line of the company that develops it. They calculate what they need to include to move the product and the price that will pretty much guarantee a predictable profit. The customer has the ability to make a decision based on their on analysis of cost versus advantage to them.

I like the meal plan, I've been on NCL and their MDR leaves a lot to be desired. I do agree that this is a start and expect to see similar plans on other lines. If It's popular,it will become mandatory.

I don't think that this will become mandatory. I think that would hurt any cruise line as there are some that simply do not use some of the items listed and would be a waste of money for certain consumers.

I would prefer an "a la carte" list. Let me choose which packages such as unlimited specialty dining, unlimited internet, unlimited Premium drink package, etc but make it truly unlimited and let me make up my own list based on my needs and usage.

This is truly 'freestyle' cruising in the way that NCL pioneered it. It's also all about incremental revenue for the cruise lines - if this approach is well received you can bet others will surely follow. NCL calculated the break-even point and then added enough to make a decent profit to come up with package pricing. After some experience they can re-price to insure profitability. It's a win for them as they can guarantee their return and a win for the passengers who can take advantage of it.

As for me, I enjoy the traditional pleasures of cruising, of which eating and socializing in the MDR is a major part. I shudder to think that I might never meet my tablemates because they chose to eat in speciality restaurants every night.

Having said that, my experience with NCL is that I too would prefer eating anywhere but the MDR so this package would provide that opportunity.

You can practically make any celebrity cruise all inclusive by simply adding the premium drink package and the ultimate dining package. Easy as that. No big deal.

Edited by maxsales

I'm not opposed to it and I think the $899 example for a 7 day cruise seems worth it but I don't like the idea of paying the sale tax that would be charged by offering it this way. Unless they have another way of billing you would be paying sales tax on all of the extras that you wouldn't normally pay sales tax for such as the drink package and gratuities. If Celebrity continues to include the drink package the way they have been doing that's all inclusive enough for me.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I think NCL is a credit of $200 or less for shore excursions, not unlimited. This is probably their way of solving the problem.

I know on Crystal, they included the specialty restaurans when they went almost all inclusive, but soon found out that some passengers were eating in them every night, thus not everyone could partake. What they did was charge a $30 reservation fee for your second night on a 7 day cruise, so a few didn't monopolize the restaurants, because lets face it if it is free many will go, if they have to pay for the second time, many will not go.

It is $200 per person.

It is $200 per person.
Sorry, I thought I said $200. It is, however, only $100 for 3 to 5 day cruises.

BTW, on the NCL thread, they are saying that it is $899 per person - if that is correct, don't know if they would get many buyers.

Edited by NLH Arizona

If that price is on top of the cruise fare - holly crap!! No way would I do that, it is crazy expensive. Don't want the photos, shore excursions, specialty dining, etc. Will stick with the bev pkg on Royal or Celebrity (which I get for free with the 123 promo) and ignore the rest.

Sorry, I thought I said $200. It is, however, only $100 for 3 to 5 day cruises.

BTW, on the NCL thread, they are saying that it is $899 per person - if that is correct, don't know if they would get many buyers.

Their press release, I believe, said starting at $899 so I imagine they can go higher depending on the popularity and length of the cruise.

If that price is on top of the cruise fare - holly crap!! No way would I do that, it is crazy expensive. Don't want the photos, shore excursions, specialty dining, etc. Will stick with the bev pkg on Royal or Celebrity (which I get for free with the 123 promo) and ignore the rest.
It is on top of the cruise fare, but they get a 10 percent discount on the cruise fare as well if they purchase the package. I also think it is way to expensive in that I would only be interested in a few of the items offered.

It is on top of the cruise fare, but they get a 10 percent discount on the cruise fare as well if they purchase the package. I also think it is way to expensive in that I would only be interested in a few of the items offered.

If one was to book a Haven Suite at $3500.00 per person the $350.00 discount would make the 7 night package $549.00 Less $200.00 for excursions. For $349.00 you would be getting unlimited drink package, dining package, internet package and photo package. Common folk like me who book inside or OV rooms wouldn't save enough on fare to justify.

Edited by NYcruzzer

If one was to book a Haven Suite at $3500.00 per person the $350.00 discount would make the 7 night package $549.00 Less $200.00 for excursions. For $349.00 you would be getting unlimited drink package, dining package, internet package and photo package. Common folk like me who book inside or OV rooms wouldn't save enough on fare to justify.
Yes, it makes sense for those in Haven suites. I book penthouse suites (through CAS, so I pay very little) and I could never justify spending $899 for a lot of things I don't want or need. Edited by NLH Arizona

Hi Everyone,

While I'm not a huge fan of the "all-inclusive" concept, I have no problem with this concept, as long as it's sold as an *optional* add on package to your cruise experience. Agree with Orator, in that if it ever becomes mandatory, is where I'd have a major concern with it.

Their press release, I believe, said starting at $899 so I imagine they can go higher depending on the popularity and length of the cruise.

The $899 was for a 7 night cruise. Shorter cruises would be less and longer cruises would be more.

I think the price is outrageous:( For most people it would DOUBLE the booking price of the cruise. Obviously the amount spent onboard would be much less and offset that, but still.

I have sailed on NCL and even on formal nights their MDR is terrible. On my last NCL formal night the only beef on the menu was the every day steak which tasted like it came from Golden Corral:( One does have to take into account that on NCL the specialty restaurants are MUCH less expensive than on Celebrity.

Celebrity has the best deal with the FREE classic beverage package:)