Will a 21 year old hate it ?

Mrs Miggins

I don't think that is right. We have certainly booked. If you study the deck plans the the cabins that can accommodate a third person are noted with a star. Not sure in what way they are different from the the other cabins - Perhaps all it is is that the sofa has a bed mechanism inside and in the other cabins they are just regular sofa's ?

S & J will know !

Yes the *star indicates there is a sofa bed in the cabin.

If you refer to the O cruise mag. on the back pages where they have the Deck Plans, look on the left hand side and you will see a Stateroom Color and Symbol Legend (*indicates triple with sofabed,**indicates quad with sofabed etc..)

When I was looking at my cruise I asked Oceania if we could do 3 adults in Veranda cabin and they said "no". For three adults you have to be in a Penthouse or above.

You CAN do it ...

whether it is comfortable or not is another story

Some cabins have sofa beds other just sofas ..you can check the deck plans for which is which

I am extremely jealous. If my parents had taken me on a free cruise when I was 21, I would have been willing to sleep on a deck chair if my presence would have made things too cramped. Personally I wouldn't worry about the possibility of being bored. Being in the company of older people in exchange for a wonderful European cruise, all the wonderful food you can eat, no cooking or cleaning or dealing with kids or making a bed....she probably won't care, even if she does get a little bored. If she's a real adult, she certainly won't say anything even if she is! Hope she has a Kindle and a music player, though, or pay for her own internet so she can go on Facebook or send emails. (I think it's $160 for cheapest package).

Edited by roothy123

Here's my thought. If my 21 year old daughter wanted to come on a cruise with us, I would discuss with her what the cruise will be like, show her a brochure, let her read cruisecritic reviews, etc. Then I would have a serious discussion about whether she could be a good sport about the accommodations and activities. This is your trip and you have a right to enjoy it. I would also make clear in advance about what activities, etc. she would be expected to pay for. Personally, I would not buy her the drink package. She can at least pay for that herself. A 21 year old who is able to be a gracious adult would be a joy to have on a cruise, even if the accommodations are squishy. If she enjoys being with older adults, is excited about the cruise ports, and willing to be flexible, you should have a great time. If she likes a party atmosphere and late nights with people her own age and feels you are being cheap by not paying for her own cabin, she will be miserable and likely make you miserable. In that case, leave her home and have a great trip yourselves.

Here's my thought. If my 21 year old daughter wanted to come on a cruise with us, I would discuss with her what the cruise will be like, show her a brochure, let her read cruisecritic reviews, etc. Then I would have a serious discussion about whether she could be a good sport about the accommodations and activities. This is your trip and you have a right to enjoy it. I would also make clear in advance about what activities, etc. she would be expected to pay for. Personally, I would not buy her the drink package. She can at least pay for that herself. A 21 year old who is able to be a gracious adult would be a joy to have on a cruise, even if the accommodations are squishy. If she enjoys being with older adults, is excited about the cruise ports, and willing to be flexible, you should have a great time. If she likes a party atmosphere and late nights with people her own age and feels you are being cheap by not paying for her own cabin, she will be miserable and likely make you miserable. In that case, leave her home and have a great trip yourselves.

Good advice!

I don't think that is right. We have certainly booked. If you study the deck plans the the cabins that can accommodate a third person are noted with a star. Not sure in what way they are different from the the other cabins - Perhaps all it is is that the sofa has a bed mechanism inside and in the other cabins they are just regular sofa's ?

S & J will know !

You are correct, Mrs. Miggins, there are a great many "non suite" triples on Marina and Riviera and even a few "non suite" Quads (i.e. sleeping four) on the R ships.

The difference is exactly as you describe, the sofa in some cabins is a pull out double bed, and in others it is just a sofa.

o-staterooms-3d-a1.jpg

Pertinent to your booking Cabin # 8000 on the Riviera, I'm very excited for you!

Doubly so because it gives me the excuse to post this photo of the bridge front of the Marina again, because it gives a superb view of what will be your Veranda!

Enjoy it all to the fullest!

b_221114.jpg

Thanks again to everyone. I think Bowie meme has it exactly right. It may well be one of our last opportunities to have her to ourselves. It has been her first summer away from home and I expect when she comes home from Greece in early October she will have grown up considerably. I have missed the "girly" things we did together. I will enjoy taking her to a Hammam and shopping for handbags in Kusadasi (we have seen Ephesus with her on a previous cruise). I love the idea of the spa showers - one of us will use this facility.

The Drinks Package came with the deal we booked. She would have been eligible for this from the age of 18. In fact I understand the "package" is by stateroom. She has been earning only UKP 70 (USD115) per week so definitely won't have much money.

She has looked at the ship online and is 'excited' about coming and we are excited too. I will buy earplugs !

I generally write reviews of our cruises and have been interested in the Azamara versus Oceania thread. I have promised my Azamara buddies that I will join the debate when we come back.

Thanks again for all the opposing views - it is a done deal - it will be great !

As an added bonus she is also beautiful so I think she may brighten the day for many of the crew and passengers.

(snip)

The Drinks Package came with the deal we booked. She would have been eligible for this from the age of 18. In fact I understand the "package" is by stateroom. She has been earning only UKP 70 (USD115) per week so definitely won't have much money.

(snip)

I guess this is a change of subject, but I am curious - I thought it was pretty clear that the beverage packages are per person and not per cabin --- but then there are differences with the UK packages/incentives -- is Mrs Miggins correct that this package is by stateroom?

I am already laughing about the "hard-partying" (her mother's phrase, not mine) 21 year old having the beverage package - this could be a new experience for the O bar staff!!! LOL

I guess this is a change of subject, but I am curious - I thought it was pretty clear that the beverage packages are per person and not per cabin --- but then there are differences with the UK packages/incentives -- is Mrs Miggins correct that this package is by stateroom?

Don't believe the per person or per cabin is because of US vs UK. The difference is that if you pay additional money for the beverage package, the price is per person while if the beverage package is an additional amenity such as the OP described where there is no extra cost and the beverage package is included in the cruise fare, it is per cabin as the OP stated.

I am already laughing about the "hard-partying" (her mother's phrase, not mine) 21 year old having the beverage package - this could be a new experience for the O bar staff!!! LOL

To my knowledge, included alcohol packages have not been offered in the U.S. so it will be interesting to learn if Mrs. Miggins package includes alcohol for the three of them.

I booked this special offer package on its final day. The price I paid included flights from London, transfers, premier drinks package and gratuities. Our original enquiry was for just the two of us and our TA was unsure if the third person charge for the cruise, which is obviously cheaper (57% of the original per person price) would include the drinks package. I checked direct with Oceania UK and was told the package was per stateroom and therefore she would be included.Normally I understand if the package is purchased as an extra then it is per person. The price in the UK per day per person is £40 ($68 approx at todays rate).

The rule at our house is- when they choose to come along they pay their way. Once on the vacation -seeing they have made there own arrangements we gladly pick up the tab for great extras ie: private helicopter tours, cabanas at the pool, 5* dinners & shows, excursions....some of the best holidays have been with our kids. They realize we are retired and would like to continue travelling therefore they never EXPECT we'd pay. Getting back to whether a veranda cabin would be cramped...you'll only know for certain once you get back.

Edited by canuck.qc

Reminds me of the days when our 20 something daughter told us she was too old to be traveling with her parents, but when we were looking at a European land trip, she wanted in, saying but Mom, it's EUROPE! We have wonderful memories of traveling with her, and cruising with her from about age 9. It's paid off for her, as she is now a travel writer, who counts luxury travel and first rate spas as part of her usual life. Maybe I should say something similar to her? She does have some grand trips, and sometimes cruises. Marlene

Eight summers ago we took a family cruise on the Nautica from Rome to Istanbul. Our sons were 18 and 20. When I mentioned this prior to the cruise, some Cruise Critic posters implied we were practically torturing our young adult children. Wouldn't our sons be looking to meet people their own age? Wouldn't they prefer a cruise with wet T-shirt contests? Or a booze cruise perhaps? What the posters didn't know was my 18 year old picked out that cruise as his high school graduation trip reward from us. When our sons were growing up we traveled the USA and to some parts of Europe with them. We promised them that upon high school graduation if they had gotten into college and we had never had to bail them out of jail, then the family would take a two week vacation anywhere in the world they chose. My son had the world to pick from and after extensive research, he chose the Oceania cruise. We all still talk often of that trip. (They had their own cabin next to ours.) My sons would spend their college and graduate school years with friends their own age (and maybe some wet t-shirts and booze were involved then!), but our family vacations were for the four of us to form lifetime memories. We had fantastic meals in Toscana and the Polo Grill. Most of our excursions were private and we had a blast. We rented a jeep and drove all over Santorini, we laughed at the "family beach" we went to on Mykonos that was actually a topless beach, we sat in the stadium at Ephesus where Paul preached, and we had a wonderful young man who had recently been a sharp shooter in the military tour us around Istanbul. My sons are far away now and my husband and I treasure the two weeks we had with them on the Nautica, so take your daughter and treasure your time with her. I don't know how you could regret it.

Both of my parents are gone now, but my husband and I have wonderful memories of cruises and tours with them. Good times together as a family!

They paid the fare and we paid all else--worked great for all concerned. Am so glad your daughter is going with you!

Debi

Both of my parents are gone now, but my husband and I have wonderful memories of cruises and tours with them. Good times together as a family!

They paid the fare and we paid all else--worked great for all concerned. Am so glad your daughter is going with you!

Debi

We are very alike. My parents (and grandparents) paid the freight until I was thirty.

ivernia1-580x250.jpgoceanic0.JPG

Afterward, Stan and I returned the favor.

galleryrvs01.jpgregatta.jpg

Don't listen to this if your mother is gone...: