Tell Me About Star Princess

richsea

We recently booked Star Princess to Mexico & are really psyched about sailing on Princess again, Celebrity being our usual line. This will be our 4th Princess cruise. We have previously sailed on Crown & Emerald. What are the main differences between the 2 classes of ships? The deck plans look very similar, in fact it looks like the C/E basically have one extra passenger deck. We're booked in a balcony on Caribe deck & are looking forward to the larger balcony. We also love the aft pool!

What are some of the other interesting features of Star Princess?

Thanks!

We recently booked Star Princess to Mexico & are really psyched about sailing on Princess again, Celebrity being our usual line. This will be our 4th Princess cruise. We have previously sailed on Crown & Emerald. What are the main differences between the 2 classes of ships? The deck plans look very similar, in fact it looks like the C/E basically have one extra passenger deck. We're booked in a balcony on Caribe deck & are looking forward to the larger balcony. We also love the aft pool!

Thanks!

You will love the "Star"! ;) It is almost an identical ship to the Crown! :rolleyes: We sailed the Star to Alaska in Sept 2012 and really enjoyed the ship and the cruise. :D But whatever, cruising is simply great! :eek:

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

You will find the Star to feel less crowded than the Crown or Emerald. It has one less passenger deck (about 500 people) and about the same amount of public space. It also has a covered pool which is lacking on the Crown and Emerald.

I'd have to say about the only thing I don't like about Star is the lack of Alfredo's. I love that pizza and the stuff on the Lido deck doesn't stack up to it at all.

We did 15 days to Hawaii on Star and are doing 10 days to Mexico on her soon. If you liked the previous Princess ships you mentioned you will likely feel right at home on Star. As you noted, it doesn't have the extra passenger deck but they are all "Grand class" ships.

Edited by Thrak

One of the great things about the Star is the special dessert area' date=' at the buffet. It is separated out from the rest of the buffet, and it is fantastic. The color is white and it is squeaky clean and bright and cheerful.

Enjoy![/quote']

Ditto..this was my favorite thing also about the Star. It's also on the Grand, which was nice.

Differences from Celebrity:

You can go directly to your cabin upon boarding.

Buffet is open continuously from 6am-11pm with full dining options.

Tables in the buffet are pre-set and there's tableside beverage service from juice in the morning to wine in the evening.

All OBC regardless of source can be combined. If you are or were military, you can apply for a very nice OBC.

Princess allows TAs to discount fares so you can often save 10-20% plus get OBC and other amenities.

Overall drink prices are less than on Celebrity.

In my experience, Princess is much more flexible and amenable when asking to modify food in the dining room or order off menu. Princess pizza and Italian food is about the best at sea. The always available Fettucini is delicious and the spaghetti carbonara is to die for.

We really enjoyed Star. Service was consistently very good. Food was more basic. Liked the Star Buffet better than recently on Pacific but overall food on Pacific was much better. We never felt crowded on Star and had probably the best cabin steward ever. The ship was clean and well maintained throughout. Would book Star again in an instant.:D

Differences from Celebrity:

The always available Fettucini is delicious and the spaghetti carbonara is to die for.

I love the fettuccine but have never had the spaghetti carbonara. I had to look it up to see exactly what it is. Wow. I think I'll have to try that. Why is November so dang far off?

We really enjoyed Star. Service was consistently very good. Food was more basic. Liked the Star Buffet better than recently on Pacific but overall food on Pacific was much better. We never felt crowded on Star and had probably the best cabin steward ever. The ship was clean and well maintained throughout. Would book Star again in an instant.:D

Was your cabin steward name Edgar? That was the name of ours and boy was he great! :eek::D

The Star is a happy ship, crew wise, and it is down to the excellent Captain. He is so supportive and respectful of his crew. After any tender day he came on the intercom and thanked the crew for their efficiency and speed. He always took opportunities to talk about how great the crew are he was very visible around the ship. It certainly trickles down and our excellent steward, Eduardo, told us that his praise is sincere and the crew all like him very much.

Captain Todd gets my vote as the best Captain we have sailed with!

Laurel

Thanks!

One thing I prefer on the Grand-class ships to their big sisters is the Wheelhouse Bar. I don't care for it as much on the Crown: that area of tall tables and stools just doesn't feel as warm and clubby. So I'd call the Wheelhouse one of the best interesting features/differences of the Star.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. My wife and I are booked for a 10-day Mexico cruise this coming January. It will be our first time on the Star. For that matter, it will be our first time cruising outside of the Caribbean. So we are quite anxious to learn as much as we can.

It will be interesting to discover how the Star compares to the Caribbean and Ruby Princesses. A first glance at the deck plan makes me think that more will be familiar than strange on this ship.

Come on January!

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. My wife and I are booked for a 10-day Mexico cruise this coming January. It will be our first time on the Star. For that matter, it will be our first time cruising outside of the Caribbean. So we are quite anxious to learn as much as we can.

It will be interesting to discover how the Star compares to the Caribbean and Ruby Princesses. A first glance at the deck plan makes me think that more will be familiar than strange on this ship.

Come on January!

We will try to take care of her for you when we sail in November. I am so very ready to go...

Come on January!

The day you embark is the day we disembark! We can't wait. ;)