BOGO Sale!!

ronbarb

It turns out that the price of the Jan 2015 Antarctic cruise with this new promotion is less than when we booked on board in February under a different promotion. Azamara has advised our TA that in order to get the new promotional price we would have to cancel our current booking, lose $25 pp cancellation fee and the $200 pp on-board credit we had received. Even so, we would still be ahead by rebooking.

However, and here is the real kicker, we would also lose the value of our future cruise credit (given to us to compensate for the interruption in of our Asia cruise when the propellor of the Journey was damaged in Tokyo) which we had applied against this cruise. Apparently these certificates are not transferable. Our TA has asked Azamara for clarification.

Lessons learned: no guarantee that you will get the best price by booking in advance, the on-board credit is not such a great deal, and hang on to your future cruise credits until final payment is due.

2fromTO: Azamara touts a Best Price Guarantee on their website:

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/explore-on-shore/booking/value-pricing/best-price-guarantee

which makes no mention of the $25 cancellation fee. It seems to treat the transaction as a modification of the original booking, which there shouldn't affect your future cruise credit. Is there some reason your booking doesn't meet these qualifications?

It turns out that the price of the Jan 2015 Antarctic cruise with this new promotion is less than when we booked on board in February under a different promotion. Azamara has advised our TA that in order to get the new promotional price we would have to cancel our current booking, lose $25 pp cancellation fee and the $200 pp on-board credit we had received. Even so, we would still be ahead by rebooking.

However, and here is the real kicker, we would also lose the value of our future cruise credit (given to us to compensate for the interruption in of our Asia cruise when the propellor of the Journey was damaged in Tokyo) which we had applied against this cruise. Apparently these certificates are not transferable. Our TA has asked Azamara for clarification.

Lessons learned: no guarantee that you will get the best price by booking in advance, the on-board credit is not such a great deal, and hang on to your future cruise credits until final payment is due.

A similar thing happened to us though not to the same extent as you. We had booked a cruise with one travel agent and afterwards found a much superior agent to whom we wanted to give our booking. We cancelled with the original agent and booked with the 2nd and even though we were on the same sailing, and the same cabin, we were still charged a $25 pp cancellation fee. I argued it but Azamara held firm. It seemed a little petty to me. Other people on this board have said they've never been charged that fee (more luck to them) but that obviously has not been your experience or ours.

2fromTO: Azamara touts a Best Price Guarantee on their website:

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/explore-on-shore/booking/value-pricing/best-price-guarantee

which makes no mention of the $25 cancellation fee. It seems to treat the transaction as a modification of the original booking, which there shouldn't affect your future cruise credit. Is there some reason your booking doesn't meet these qualifications?

Thanks for the suggestion Jazzbeau. I checked it out and tried to submit a claim. I didn't get very far. This is the message I received after filling out the form online: "Your claim cannot be submitted as your reservation was made after 48 hours."

If I understand the fine print correctly, the guarantee only applies if you find a lower price within 48 hours of booking and only if the cruise was booked after August 1, 2014. Our booking was made in February 2014. No Best Price Guarantee for us!

In the past Azamara has made an adjustment to an existing booking for a new promotion provided we paid the higher current cruise fare. Not sure why they are reluctant to do so again...

Wow that's not the way I read it. If you are past final payment, then yes it only applies within the first 48 hours. But your cruise isn't until Jan. 2015 so you should come under the first part of the offer.

Your TA should go back to them with this web text and fight for you.

Yes, curiously, after entering the code BOGOHO on the Aug. 11, 2016 Quest sailing, only categories 07, 04 and V2 show the promotional discount, while all other fares still show the brochure fares.

The other strange thing is TAs are able to get the promotion on a lot more categories than what comes up on Azamara's site using the BOGOHO code. Very strange!

That part makes no sense to me.

Just booked two cruises for 2016 with this offer - for the cruises we were looking for and the category of cabins we were after it was a very good offer. We have been tracking prices for the two cruises in lower level rooms but were delighted to find a very good savings on the price we were looking at but in a higher category room so very pleased :D

so has anyone been able to use this offer for an inside room? or just the cat 4 or 7 or V2?

and that poster that got a 2 catefory upgrade plus the $1500 Choice Air deal - really??? what cruise? booked how far out? I want a deal like that!

The $25 cancellation fee was new to me when I booked in October. Previous to that, there was no fee. I remember reading someplace that that fee was per person and increasing to $50pp. Also, the final payment date is 120 days before the cruise. I can understand a small fee especially if you cancel and do not rebook. Changing plans does involve using some agents time to complete. However, if you are rebooking at a better rate, then the TA or Azamara ought to waive the fee. It seems petty to charge. Losing the OBC if you change the booking is to be expected. Losing the value of FCC seems wrong. You received the FCC as a token for the mishaps on a cruise. Taking it away when you rebook seems like 2 wrongs don't make a right. It just doesn't make sense. It could irritate the potential cruiser...and maybe enough to completely cancel the cruise. In the travel business, being nice goes a long way. The FCC is a way that the cruise line apologizes for their mistakes. To take it away is insulting.

For what it's worth we've just priced up (thanks to our friendly TA) a cruise next year that we're considering and it's working out to be about £850 less expensive than on the now expired free/reduced airfares offer.

Have to consult with the Boss now to see whether or not we're going to book.

For what it's worth we've just priced up (thanks to our friendly TA) a cruise next year that we're considering and it's working out to be about £850 less expensive than on the now expired free/reduced airfares offer.

Have to consult with the Boss now to see whether or not we're going to book.

That was exactly our findings - well done Azamara a genuine sale even allowing for the cost of our airfare.

I think this type of offer is sound sense as it locks in guests ahead of time and effectively they can spend next year not focussing of filling the ships but on promoting the brand.

I think this type of offer is sound sense as it locks in guests ahead of time and effectively they can spend next year not focussing of filling the ships but on promoting the brand.

Because they certainly have gone out of their way to alienate solo cruisers who helped to keep them afloat when the economy was poor and bookings were significantly lagging...

Azamara has all but abandoned their Savings For Singles program--that they still tout on their website--by offering a mere handful of sailings under that promotion during 2015... And to my mind, promotions such as this one should have also carried a reduced Single Supplement opportunity--75% would have gotten them to the same place revenue-wise as there's not a lot of discretionary spending under Azamara's "mostly inclusive" experience--to level the playing field...

Odd that Celebrity has recently come to understand that the single demographic is the emerging one for the 21st Century and that many current guests will inevitably face such prospect in the future... Sad that Azamara still doesn't "get it"...

-----

Hang tough, Lois!

The current offers will also generate good revenue for Azamara (not all sailings are reduced to 50% second guest) because two persons will typically generate more onboard revenue than one, however I recognise their significant limitations for singles.

I am not sure what % of Azamara's guest base and target guest base are singles, but I would not be surprised if in the coming months there are equally attractive offers for single guests.

If you are purely offer driven, then yes maybe Celebrity is currently seen as reaching out more to singles, however the onboard experience is chalk and cheese, something that does concern us about our upcoming trip on Summit which is incidentally our favourite X ship now Century is leaving

The current offers will also generate good revenue for Azamara (not all sailings are reduced to 50% second guest) because two persons will typically generate more onboard revenue than one, however I recognise their significant limitations for singles.

I am not sure what % of Azamara's guest base and target guest base are singles, but I would not be surprised if in the coming months there are equally attractive offers for single guests.

If you are purely offer driven, then yes maybe Celebrity is currently seen as reaching out more to singles, however the onboard experience is chalk and cheese, something that does concern us about our upcoming trip on Summit which is incidentally our favourite X ship now Century is leaving

I am not offer driven but, like anyone else, do appreciate good value... I am--first and foremost--an avid traveler and choose Azamara for their itineraries, their extended port calls and overnight stays, and their ability to get into places that big ships can't; in Asia--despite Journey's having become disabled--they were the right comparative choice...

That said; Azamara's inclusions--most notably, included wine and alcohol are the big ticket items, are largely lost on me as I have no more than a single glass of wine every few days... And the food, while a bit better, is not material to me either as I find Blu absolutely satisfactory in the context of how I typically dine at home... Azamara's service is superb but, perhaps I've been lucky, I've had no lapses [and have sometimes had superior] on Celebrity... And other than gratuities--which I can easily handle--I get about equivalent, or better, perquisites [some, like Mosaic, are inclusions on Azamara] based upon my Captain's Club status when aboard Celebrity while picking up more activity and broader entertainment options should I choose to participate in them...

There are "high spenders" and "low spenders" aboard every cruise [for me, it's mostly about excursions; I'm about to plunk down $1800 for a single event in Rio next February] and have a long history of investing in the experiences I want that might cause others to wince... And similarly; cruise lines do realize a savings from that which they do not need to provide to the incremental guest...

So the difference between Azamara and Celebrity is not one of "chalk and cheese' to all... Actually, I could have booked my trips to Norway and to the British Isles next year for about equal [full] price on either of the two lines and chose Celebrity...

Regardless of what sort of promos that Azamara might come out with, solos like to plan ahead and enjoy the broadest cabin selections while not being regarded as an afterthought... The "snooze/lose" concept works both ways...

I hope that you thoroughly enjoy your time aboard Summit... I'm doing Canada and New England on Summit too this fall and am thoroughly looking forward to it...

The $25 cancellation fee was new to me when I booked in October. Previous to that, there was no fee. I remember reading someplace that that fee was per person and increasing to $50pp. Also, the final payment date is 120 days before the cruise. I can understand a small fee especially if you cancel and do not rebook. Changing plans does involve using some agents time to complete. However, if you are rebooking at a better rate, then the TA or Azamara ought to waive the fee. It seems petty to charge. Losing the OBC if you change the booking is to be expected. Losing the value of FCC seems wrong. You received the FCC as a token for the mishaps on a cruise. Taking it away when you rebook seems like 2 wrongs don't make a right. It just doesn't make sense. It could irritate the potential cruiser...and maybe enough to completely cancel the cruise. In the travel business, being nice goes a long way. The FCC is a way that the cruise line apologizes for their mistakes. To take it away is insulting.

I agree. Still waiting for AZ to clarify that we would lose our future cruise credit. Love cruising Azamara but not very happy with them right now

Hello Xport and All,

While Bonnie is onboard her much deserved cruise holiday, let me step in and assist. Below you will find the current list of voyages offered at 125%, it is substantial. While we understand the current 50% 2nd guest does not apply to single guests traveling with us, we hope you can find a voyage to your pleasing from the extensive list below and book with us, as this list is capacity controlled - dates can be added or deleted based on demand.

Thank you Joel.

Single Supplement 125% Program

2014 Journey - 08/20, 09/03, 10/04, 10/11, 10/18, 11/06, 11/16, 11/27, 12/13

2015 Journey - 02/19, 03/21, 04/02, 11/25

2014 Quest - 08/20, 09/01, 10/12, 10/24, 11/01, 11/10, 12/09

2015 Quest - 01/05, 01/20, 02/03, 02/17, 03/05, 03/21, 04/06, 10/19

Hello Xport and All,

While Bonnie is onboard her much deserved cruise holiday, let me step in and assist. Below you will find the current list of voyages offered at 125%, it is substantial. While we understand the current 50% 2nd guest does not apply to single guests traveling with us, we hope you can find a voyage to your pleasing from the extensive list below and book with us, as this list is capacity controlled - dates can be added or deleted based on demand.

Thank you Joel.

Single Supplement 125% Program

2014 Journey - 08/20, 09/03, 10/04, 10/11, 10/18, 11/06, 11/16, 11/27, 12/13

2015 Journey - 02/19, 03/21, 04/02, 11/25

2014 Quest - 08/20, 09/01, 10/12, 10/24, 11/01, 11/10, 12/09

2015 Quest - 01/05, 01/20, 02/03, 02/17, 03/05, 03/21, 04/06, 10/19

I appreciate your stopping by during Bonnie's well-earned getaway to set the record straight, Joel...

I have never taken issue with the number of cruises featuring the "Savings For Singles" reduced single supplement during 2014... And in fact, the list for this year has been extensive dating back to March 2013 when I booked three consecutive cruises [14 nights each] on Journey for February/March of this year... Journey did unfortunately become disabled in Tokyo Bay back on 25 February--I understand that things happen--so that I was able to complete the better part of the first two of those cruises before the ship was taken to dry dock in South Korea... I am grateful for the wonderful experience that I did get--and Azamara was certainly both thoughtful and generous in doing their best to ameliorate a difficult situation; I appreciate that too--but the fact remains that, after investing in round-trip Business Class air, my trip was cut short by more than three weeks as I had also planned a post-cruise trip to Beijing that--for lack of availability by the guide/driver I'd hired--could not be rescheduled... Let's just say it was disappointing...

Given that I'd also booked two cruises during 2013 with Celebrity for this year--Constellation in April and Summit upcoming in October--and given that I'd taken an unrecoverable "hit" on the Business Class airfare to/from Asia relative to my expectation of trip duration [which I also do understand; it was a personal decision that seemed like a good idea at the time in the context of maximizing my anticipated trip], I made a decision not to book additional travel during 2014...

With two compensatory Future Cruise Discount Certificates to use by year-end 2015, I began to look--searching the Savings For Singles list first [my discount certificates were based upon price paid; I understand that too]--for travel opportunities next year...

A total of five cruises--all of a repositioning nature--appeared on the list for 2015 [Journey on 02/19, 04/02, and 11/25; Quest on 04/06 and 10/19]... About two months ago--long after I'd made my plans with Azamara for 2015--a single cruise [Journey on 03/21; no matter/no interest, I've transited the Panama Canal several times] was added...

But here's what confounds me... I check the Azamara "Savings For Singles" list on the website frequently as Bonnie suggested [on advice from Miami], some months ago in a related thread to which I and interested others contributed, that the list for 2015 would be augmented... As recently as a few minutes ago [and I'd looked last week], there are six cruises on Quest during 2015 [perhaps including back-to-back opportunities; I didn't look at the itineraries and they may indeed be in Asia] that you cite above [01/05, 01/20, 02/03, 02/17, 03/05, and 03/21] that do not appear as featuring a reduced single supplement on the website!

I think we can both agree that--with a 50% error rate--their omission creates both a perception issue among potential guests and a marketing problem for Azamara...

For what it's worth, my die [including being aboard Journey on 02/19 along with the full cost sailing of 02/07 that precedes it] is likely cast for 2015...

Thank you for your candor Xport. The situation that took place with JR in Japan was about as unlucky as it could get. The ship's propellor tangled up in a huge whaling net and disabled the ship.

It was an unfortunate situation all around. I will speak with our web producer and ad agency to make sure we are keeping up with the updates online.

I hope you will be back with us real soon, we cannot be upset at your selection of our sister brand Celebrity. They have quite a good product, I have sailed on them many times, all great experiences.

Take Care - Joel.

That was exactly our findings - well done Azamara a genuine sale even allowing for the cost of our airfare.

Quite right and it's just locked us in for next year. :D

Our TA is yet to change the prices, we have been waiting. Trouble is the price for a balcony, flights and transfers on the one we are interested in is £1999pp pre sale, the price on the Azamara site for balcony (no flights or transfers) is £2492 person one and £1246 person two.

Unless our TA is going to have some kind of special deal that will show lower than their current offers, there is currently no difference once you add flights and transfers.

It only leaves £262 for us the buy flights/transfers, which is unlikely to be enough to bring it up to pre sale prices.

Shall have to wait and see what happens and what offer is next ;)

Yvonne:)

Our TA is yet to change the prices, we have been waiting. Trouble is the price for a balcony, flights and transfers on the one we are interested in is £1999pp pre sale, the price on the Azamara site for balcony (no flights or transfers) is £2492 person one and £1246 person two.

Unless our TA is going to have some kind of special deal that will show lower than their current offers, there is currently no difference once you add flights and transfers.

It only leaves £262 for us the buy flights/transfers, which is unlikely to be enough to bring it up to pre sale prices.

Shall have to wait and see what happens and what offer is next ;)

Yvonne:)

I am not sure there will be as many offers down the line given that we have one ship chartered for so many weeks and good offers have been around. For us, we can either get the flights we want (Azamara flights are typically not our preferred options) or we can use some Avios to get no cost flights.

We have for the first time in a long while booked out two years ahead with two 2016 cruises. Time will tell if we have done the right thing booking this offer but the prices look good and at least this offer includes suites which the double upgrade offers don't.

At least we know if a better offer comes along we are able to make one change free of charge as we are Discoverer level (soon to be Discoverer + with whatever that brings).

So this offer has worked for us, and of course Azamara:cool: