Successful rejection of "upgrade offer"

Posaune

I only know how to attach small photo images but hopefully you'll be able to see enough to get an idea of how the porthole oceanview cabins look.

THANK YOU!!! I've been trying to get a picture of those rooms for quite a while.

THANK YOU!!! I've been trying to get a picture of those rooms for quite a while.

Happy to help...not many of the various Grand-class ships have porthole cabins & I believe there are only 4 on the Crown.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I disagree. We booked in May for a December cruise. We were "upgraded" within 10 days.

The fact that you received an upgrade does not mean that upgrades are common. It means that you received an uncommon upgrade. Consider the number of passengers on any given ship and then consider the number of posters here on CC talking about getting an upgrade.

The fact that you received an upgrade does not mean that upgrades are common. It means that you received an uncommon upgrade. Consider the number of passengers on any given ship and then consider the number of posters here on CC talking about getting an upgrade.

I was upgraded two bookings in a row on Princess. Both were obstructed OV to unobstructed. I am wondering if some categories get upgraded more then others?

Just by chance, one of our cruising friends was on our next cruise today to check to see about price drops. She noticed that our cabin A746 on the Start Princess was available. :eek: Once she let me know, I immediately called Princess and had them change it back.

After that was accomplished, I did ask why we were moved to A510 and I was told it was an upgrade. I went from a BE to a BC. I then asked her to mark a no upgrade unless to a mini. :)

The thing is, I never got an email, etc. Neither did my TA. The original cabin is the one that was "added" after the fire on the Star and Princess never updated their deck plans to show the extended balcony. From what I have read here on CC about A746 is that is a very nice balcony.:)

Our first upgrade after all these years cruising and I refused it. LOL

Just by chance, one of our cruising friends was on our next cruise today to check to see about price drops. She noticed that our cabin A746 on the Start Princess was available. :eek: Once she let me know, I immediately called Princess and had them change it back.

After that was accomplished, I did ask why we were moved to A510 and I was told it was an upgrade. I went from a BE to a BC. I then asked her to mark a no upgrade unless to a mini. :)

The thing is, I never got an email, etc. Neither did my TA. The original cabin is the one that was "added" after the fire on the Star and Princess never updated their deck plans to show the extended balcony. From what I have read here on CC about A746 is that is a very nice balcony.:)

Our first upgrade after all these years cruising and I refused it. LOL

A746 is a great cabin. "Upgrade" to Princess means aft (or foreward) to midship. It's a location thing, and based on the idea that EVERYONE wants to be midship. These latest upgrades have not been, for the most part, balcony to suite or anything like that. I gather it has to do with the reclassification of cabins done some time back.

A746 is a great cabin. "Upgrade" to Princess means aft (or foreward) to midship. It's a location thing, and based on the idea that EVERYONE wants to be midship. These latest upgrades have not been, for the most part, balcony to suite or anything like that. I gather it has to do with the reclassification of cabins done some time back.

Thanks shredie. I love aft, and will book the C752/C753 aft cabins when possible.:D Love hearing that it is a great cabin. SSSSHHHHH!!!! or Princess will reclassify it. LOL

I am wondering if some categories get upgraded more then others?

The entry level categories probably are more likely to get upgraded because the lower price entices more passengers. So if the higher level categories are not selling well, upgrading someone in a lower level category frees up a cabin they can probably resell.

With the greatest respect to the opening poster (and anyone else) don't put yourself on complimentary upgrade if you're not happy with what you'll get. Having worked for Princess I can tell you they go to the extremes of messing other passengers around just for YOU because you don't like what you've been moved to even though you've been provided for what you asked for.

The golden rule is, Princess dictates the grading on the cabin, whether you think it's an upgrade or not is irrelevant if that grading is superior to what you booked you can be moved there and you'd be lucky to be moved back.

If you aren't happy with the simple statement of 'upgrade is to any position, any deck on a higher GRADE, please don't try opt in because if you don't get moved having been upgraded you'll have a bad cruise, and blame princess for it even though they've given you what you asked for.

(from the OP)

I happened to be able to respond to the upgrade offer within seconds of the email. If I had not been able to get my cabin back I would have still been happy. After all, I am going on a cruise! Having been upgrade to a higher category several times it is well worth the risk.

Edited by Posaune
OP

I just got an upgrade offer to go from a balcony on Riviera deck on the front of Caribbean Princess (under Lido cabins) to a balcony on Riviera under the doors between the pool and Horizon Court. I called and they moved me back to my original cabin. I did not consider moving from one of the most quiet areas on the ship with almost no hallway traffic to a very noisy area with chairs being hauled around right over your head an upgrade. I congratulate Princess for moving me back quickly without question.

Did you book directly with Princess or a TA? was your booking a guarantee booking, or just marked upgrade ok?

The golden rule is, Princess dictates the grading on the cabin, whether you think it's an upgrade or not is irrelevant if that grading is superior to what you booked you can be moved there and you'd be lucky to be moved back.

Very true, but the problem is that people don't always know that a Princess "upgrade" to a midship cabin isn't always an upgrade for them if they have selected a nice aft cabin (for example.) The popular conception of the term "upgrade" is that I'm going from an interior to the Owner's suite at no cost to me. I learned the hard way to ask for "no upgrade" when I book the cabin I really want.

...If you aren't happy with the simple statement of 'upgrade is to any position, any deck on a higher GRADE, please don't try opt in because if you don't get moved having been upgraded you'll have a bad cruise, and blame princess for it even though they've given you what you asked for.

The problem is that many don't realize that "ok to upgrade" is the default booking mode. To be marked "no upgrade" or "meta only", you have to call Princess if booking online, and hope they do it correctly (once they did not in my case).

IMO, you should have to opt in for an upgrade, or at least have the policy made more transparent.