Successful rejection of "upgrade offer"

Posaune

we were "upgraded" twice for our cruise in Dec. '14. I spent considerable time selecting our room when booking w/Princess. I got an email, checked out the location--right across from elevators mid ship. No thank you. I told the operator that didn't seem like and "upgrade" and she told me "Princess considers it an upgrade". She moved us to my original choice. Then 3 days later we were upgraded again--back to the same elevator room. I called and told them to quit moving us. She marked our reservation as such.

I just got an upgrade offer to go from a balcony on Riviera deck on the front of Caribbean Princess (under Lido cabins) to a balcony on Riviera under the doors between the pool and Horizon Court. I called and they moved me back to my original cabin. I did not consider moving from one of the most quiet areas on the ship with almost no hallway traffic to a very noisy area with chairs being hauled around right over your head an upgrade. I congratulate Princess for moving me back quickly without question.

When did they inform you of your upgrade? I've indicated that I would take an upgrade on an upcoming Princess cruise.

I just returned from a month away and hadn't checked my personaliser. I have found that the cabin we carefully booked 18 months ago (the same cabin we have booked for the 4 previous cruises) has been "upgraded" to a balcony underneath the skywalk for our maiden regal transatlantic. Of course my TA is closed today. I don't know how long ago this change was made and I may have lost our cabin. I wasn't informed and I don't think TA probably wasn't as I had no message. I will be quite upset if I can't get our original cabin back.

Terry

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Upgrades are not common, in spite of the stories on this thread.

This is very true since the re-categorization of cabins in 2012.

Before this happened, there were some categories with so few cabins that a GTY booking for such a category would mean an upgrade 98% of the time. For example, the Emerald Princess' lowest inside category used to have just three cabins in it. The lowest inside category now has 110 cabins in it. The lowest balcony cabin used to have four cabins in it. The lowest balcony category now has 88 cabins.

The more cabins in a category, the less chance of an upgrade from it.

I just returned from a month away and hadn't checked my personaliser. I have found that the cabin we carefully booked 18 months ago (the same cabin we have booked for the 4 previous cruises) has been "upgraded" to a balcony underneath the skywalk for our maiden regal transatlantic. Of course my TA is closed today. I don't know how long ago this change was made and I may have lost our cabin. I wasn't informed and I don't think TA probably wasn't as I had no message. I will be quite upset if I can't get our original cabin back.

Terry

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Same thing happened to me....it was Sunday when I noticed it.

Email both Princess and your TA right away....making sure the date is on the email. Ask that you be put back in your originally cabin (if it's still available) and then mark your reservation as "no upgrade".

They give you 48 hours to make the switch back, so I hope they didn't make that switch a week before you saw it!

Good luck! Let us know how it worked out!

Edited by suzyed

It also depends on what one considers an upgrade as opposed to what Princess considers an upgrade.;)
Don't forget that what Princess considers an upgrade is based on demand and usually, demand is based on passenger perception of what is better. So many times, I've seen people refer to Caribe, Dolphin or Emerald deck as the "bowels" of the ship. More and more people are not using TAs who can guide them so these perceptions are often misconceptions. I once had a guy say to me, "Well, I'm on Aloha deck..." and I wanted to say, "And?" except it was obvious he was very proud that he'd gotten a terrific cabin on one of the highest decks. I didn't want to burst his bubble. Edited by Pam in CA

. . . I once had a guy say to me, "Well, I'm on Aloha deck..." and I wanted to say, "And?" except it was obvious he was very proud that he'd gotten a terrific cabin on one of the highest decks. I didn't want to burst his bubble.

Well, to be fair, he did get to hear the elevator announce jauntily, "Aloha! Deck 12" every day. I know that made my cruise special the one time I had an Aloha cabin.

There was also that one day the elevator announced "Dolphin, Deck 9" and everyone got off to look for the marine mammal that was apparently roaming the passageway. Well, maybe not everyone. Maybe only me.

Well, to be fair, he did get to hear the elevator announce jauntily, "Aloha! Deck 12" every day. I know that made my cruise special the one time I had an Aloha cabin.

There was also that one day the elevator announced "Dolphin, Deck 9" and everyone got off to look for the marine mammal that was apparently roaming the passageway. Well, maybe not everyone. Maybe only me.

LOL!

My DH has to constantly grab me and hold me back in elevators.....the door opens and I walk out..or try to. It's usually not my floor, hence the grab to the back of shirt! LOL!

Upgrades are not common, in spite of the stories on this thread.

DH and I will be on our third Princess cruise in Dec. We have received an upgrade on each of these cruises. The only upgrade that was a good one was the first cruise. We have gotten our original cabin back on the other two cruises.

Each time, our TA called me immediately and advised us as to whether it was a good upgrade or not. Between our TA and this forum, we have a pretty good handle on which upgrades to accept.

BTW - Thank you to everyone on this forum for all of the knowledge that we have gained.

Don't forget that what Princess considers an upgrade is based on demand and usually, demand is based on passenger perception of what is better...More and more people are not using TAs who can guide them so these perceptions are often misconceptions...

Good point. I have found that some who are new to cruising think that cabins are like hotels, with the higher floors/decks being more desirable. I have no idea why some ships have suites on the upper decks, especially those directly under the pool areas.

If you booked online it was asked during the booking process.

Now you cannot access that info so.....

If not ask your TA to have Princess mark the booking accordingly or call Princess yourself if you booked direct.

A TA can go back into a booking that he or she made and check either the Do Not Upgrade box. the meta upgrade only box or the open to any upgrade box. A TA should not be calling Princess for such things - they need to learn the online booking system and then they can take care of many details with a few clicks.

Don't forget that what Princess considers an upgrade is based on demand and usually, demand is based on passenger perception of what is better. So many times, I've seen people refer to Caribe, Dolphin or Emerald deck as the "bowels" of the ship. More and more people are not using TAs who can guide them so these perceptions are often misconceptions. I once had a guy say to me, "Well, I'm on Aloha deck..." and I wanted to say, "And?" except it was obvious he was very proud that he'd gotten a terrific cabin on one of the highest decks. I didn't want to burst his bubble.

We were upgraded to an Aloha balcony and loved it! We were booked into E201 on Star Princess which is a BF but ended up in A408 which is a BB. Although we were directly under the Lido deck where Neptune's Pool, Prego Pizza, etc. are located we didn't have any issues with noise from the deck above. The bed was excellent, the room steward was excellent. We were happy to not be located where the promenade deck came up right in front of the balcony.

It was especially nice as our disabled son had booked A312 so we were close to his cabin for assistance. The next time he cruises on this class of ship he will probably try to obtain accessible room L248 or L252. He spends much of his time on Lido deck (he's a smoker - uggh) and those are ideal locations for wheelchair access without having to deal with elevators and crowds.

I received an upgrade email on friday from C218 to Baja mid aft, a BE to a BB. I wanted the orginal cabin back because I wanted the larger balcony on Caribe. Called them before the 48 hours and they said it would be a couple days and I would be notified by email or phone on what we were going to ge. Today, I received an email that again says I am upgraded to a guarantee BB cabin. I called princess again, the agent that I spoke with said she did not see the 2nd email and they she has me assigned back in C218 with a no upgrade note and to disregard the 2nd email. Hopefully she is correct. I want my Caribe cabin!!

I received an upgrade email on friday from C218 to Baja mid aft, a BE to a BB. I wanted the orginal cabin back because I wanted the larger balcony on Caribe. Called them before the 48 hours and they said it would be a couple days and I would be notified by email or phone on what we were going to ge. Today, I received an email that again says I am upgraded to a guarantee BB cabin. I called princess again, the agent that I spoke with said she did not see the 2nd email and they she has me assigned back in C218 with a no upgrade note and to disregard the 2nd email. Hopefully she is correct. I want my Caribe cabin!!

This is almost identical to my recent experience. Keep at them. Go to your Cruise Personalizer and see what cabin you have. If it's the new one, call again. I think I went through maybe five agents before I got my original cabin back. I told them to mark no upgrade, but I still go back to check from time to time.

...there are a few of us that prefer the upper decks. We seem to have found an area that tends to be quiet and we like to wander the open decks on top. We also enjoy a bit of movement!

Many other cruisers do, too! I always recommend lower decks and midship to newbies, however, until they get a feel for how ships move in rough seas. I don't want their first cruise to be their last by having a bad experience.

I personally don't mind an upper deck, as long as it is midship or aft. I don't care to be forward on any deck. In fact, I am trying out a cabin on the Riviera deck aft on my coastal next year on the Ruby. I hope that aft pool area is as nice as it sounds, and I like being near the HC to pop up for a quick snack or beverage.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I personally don't mind an upper deck, as long as it is midship or aft. I don't care to be forward on any deck. In fact, I am trying out a cabin on the Riviera deck aft on my coastal next year on the Ruby. I hope that aft pool area is as nice as it sounds, and I like being near the HC to pop up for a quick snack or beverage.

My wife feels the motion of the ocean but she did okay in our Riviera deck aft facing oceanview porthole cabin on the Crown Princess. It was a complementary upgrade and we really enjoyed the close proximity to the aft pool and Horizon Court.

My wife feels the motion of the ocean but she did okay in our Riviera deck aft facing oceanview porthole cabin on the Crown Princess. It was a complementary upgrade and we really enjoyed the close proximity to the aft pool and Horizon Court.

We love the aft!! We have been forward as well and don't like it very much. One forward cabin we had was the first one on the deck and it was hot in there, and you could hear the anchor going up and down as if it were right in the room! There was no need for an alarm clock in that cabin!

Last cruise we had three forward cabins...not right up front and they were fine!

But still the aft and mid aft are our preference!

Do you have any pictures? I keep trying to find pictures of those aft porthole cabins but haven't been able to find any.

Do you have any pictures? I keep trying to find pictures of those aft porthole cabins but haven't been able to find any.

That was nearly 3 years ago & will try to locate a photo. There were 2 portholes over the bed & were about 18" in diameter & maybe about 12" recessed into the wall. It added some daylight to our cabin but didn't provide much of a view.

We had R749 and to use Wi-Fi had to stand to in the open doorway. :(

I found the photos and will try to post them for you soon.

!cid_C695DDAB23C94EF3AD525240F0310573@HomePC.jpg.e6cbb447f8052d3bbba1a7e995d9f8b2.jpg

!cid_005947E451C6439C86E726419A4FBA05@HomePC.jpg.5da93b96f9e746e4e310981ec59d13f1.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

I only know how to attach small photo images but hopefully you'll be able to see enough to get an idea of how the porthole oceanview cabins look.