Successful rejection of "upgrade offer"

Posaune

I just got an upgrade offer to go from a balcony on Riviera deck on the front of Caribbean Princess (under Lido cabins) to a balcony on Riviera under the doors between the pool and Horizon Court. I called and they moved me back to my original cabin. I did not consider moving from one of the most quiet areas on the ship with almost no hallway traffic to a very noisy area with chairs being hauled around right over your head an upgrade. I congratulate Princess for moving me back quickly without question.

Hmmmmm...... that sounds like a pretty poor "upgrade". I see that it is a BF to BE upgrade but really...

I think you were probably right to refuse. Glad it was easy for you to keep your original cabin.

Hmmmmm...... that sounds like a pretty poor "upgrade". I see that it is a BF to BE upgrade but really...

I think you were probably right to refuse. Glad it was easy for you to keep your original cabin.

Unfortunately when keeping the default option to "accept any upgrade" we're agreeing to any category "upgrade" based on Princess' interpretation of what is more desirable. I don't always agree with their interpretation however categories are displayed for us to consider & it's why I frequently change my option to "no upgrade".

Thankfully the OP was able to get the previous cabin back before was too late. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thankfully the OP was able to get the previous cabin back before was too late.

We also got an unwanted upgrade. We called RIGHT AWAYand got our original cabin back. If you get an undesirable upgrade, move quickly to undo it.

btw...We were on Emerald last May. A section of Lido Deck was roped off & we asked about it. Turns out the cabins directly below were bothered by noise long before they wanted to get up.

Steve

Glad you were able to get your original cabin back. I wish they would ask if one wants the new cabin first before moving, but I guess if you have a booking not marked "no upgrade requested," they can claim you're okay with any move as long as you're not moving down categories.

We actually had booked a cabin in a similar area. It was an aft inside on the Aloha deck on the Golden, which placed us under the outside bar area by the back entrance of the Horizon. I was a little leery of that location but we were booking right before final payment date on a popular sailing (Hawaiian holiday). After turning down far forward cabins (not a good idea for someone like me who gets motion sickness and on the rollicky trip across the Pacific) and cabins under the Princess Theater, which I imagine would be noisy...my family decided to go with this cabin. There was a little bit of scrapping noise, but just a couple of times during the 14 nights and not lasting long. And it was really convenient to the aft deck and just a stairwell away from the back door of the Horizon.

But you always risk that on other sailings, you might have several passengers who decide to make that area their favorite midnight meeting spot.:eek:

I do not mark our reservations no upgrade because we have received several great upgrades in the past. One was from the least expensive inside to a balcony on Riviera which was just about in the same place we just turned down. It was rather noisy, but on that particular cruise we did enjoy the balcony despite the noise. This time we kept the quiet balcony we started with.

I had to fight off an upgrade recently. Of course, they told me on a Friday, and it took until Tuesday to get it settled, but I got the original cabin back. I now know to call Princess to ask for "no upgrade." It's kind of funny their idea of what an upgrade is sometimes.

I recently went through the same thing but it took a couple of days. My issue was that my original cabin was available for booking on the website. I called right away when I got the email and was told it would take a day or so to get it switched back... different department naturally... and the agent didn't seem concerned when I told her my original cabin was showing available on the website.

When my personalizer still had the "upgrade" listed a day later I called again. Interestingly enough when I told the 2nd agent that my original preferred cabin was available for booking on the website and was concerned it could be booked before I got it back she quickly put me on hold to talk to another department. When she came back she offered me my original cabin at a cheaper fare than I booked plus we got OBC because of the promotion that was going on at the time.

I was on the computer when the upgrade notice email came and immediately called to reject the upgrade.

They just do it.....

They gave us an "upgrade" for our next cruise. We have an aft obstructed ocean view on Emerald deck that is not really obstructed. They gave us an unobstructed cabin on Plaza ALL THE WAY FOREWARD...the first cabin on the deck! We have been in a cabin like that before and it was very hot and the anchor noise is just awful!!

I called and had us switched back to our original cabin.....they give you 48 hours to make the switch back! ;)

I had to fight off an upgrade recently. Of course, they told me on a Friday, and it took until Tuesday to get it settled, but I got the original cabin back. I now know to call Princess to ask for "no upgrade." It's kind of funny their idea of what an upgrade is sometimes.
I just rejected an "upgrade" on my upcoming Royal Princess cruise. Got the notification from my TA yesterday that I was being "upgraded" from a BE to a BB, E703 to R503. My TA got my cabin back. My BE is unobstructed and right near the aft stairs. The BB was right near the mid-ship elevators. IMHO, it was not an upgrade regardless of the higher category.

...she offered me my original cabin at a cheaper fare than I booked plus we got OBC because of the promotion that was going on at the time.

Good deal! I, unfortunately, once had to cancel my original booking by phone and rebook online to get my original cabin back. I was afraid, as you were, that it would be sold out from under me in the 24 hours Princess said it would take to process my request to undo the unwanted upgrade. I then called back and had it marked no upgrade.

The only good news was that the fare hadn't increased since my original booking, and the deposit was refundable.

Edited by Ryndam2002

We have only cruised twice and one of those was with princess.

This time ( August fjords) I booked the cabin I wanted and asked her to mark the booking no upgrade and then send me an email confirming that.it seems to be a great balcony,aft,corner.for me,noise from other passengers or entertainment is a real issue,so even if it costs me more,I know I will hopefully have a peaceful trip...:p

I always book online through the travel section of a well-known warehouse club and CAREFULLY select a cabin with passenger cabins above, below, and across the corridor. I also CAREFULLY select no upgrades on the warehouse club site, then check the booking on Princess' website a few days later, and then CALL Princess to confirm that my reservation is marked no upgrade.

I've never had a problem with an upgraded cabin because I've never accepted one, BUT in my early days of cruising I have found myself above the late-night bar, below the pool deck, and even across the hall from a scullery that looked like a blank wall on the deck plan.

In my book, an upgrade to a suite right under the pool deck is a downgrade.

JMHO

I haven't read all posts on this thread so my apology if it's already been posted but some passengers have experienced a change of cabins even when marked "no upgrade". Just like the airlines, in the fine print seat or cabin reservations are "requests" & may be changed. I doubt if that happens often but even though it's probably a remote possibility our assignments can be involuntarily changed. It would result in upset passengers so I'd think that airlines & cruiselines would rarely do it.

I just rejected an "upgrade" on my upcoming Royal Princess cruise. Got the notification from my TA yesterday that I was being "upgraded" from a BE to a BB, E703 to R503. My TA got my cabin back. My BE is unobstructed and right near the aft stairs. The BB was right near the mid-ship elevators. IMHO, it was not an upgrade regardless of the higher category.

E to R is no upgrade. I'm glad you got the cabin back, and I'm beginning to wonder if this "upgrade" thing is an epidemic! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by skf View Post

A section of Lido Deck was roped off & we asked about it. Turns out the cabins directly below were bothered by noise long before they wanted to get up.

Steve

I've seen the same thing in the covered pool's deck area

Of course, one person's intolerable noise might be as nothing to someone else.

Of course, one person's intolerable noise might be as nothing to someone else.

That is absolutely true.The same as a location in foreword or aft cabins isn't everyones cup of tea.So that's why it is best to check deck plans and book your preferences if you are fussy like me.

It would be nice if Princess asked on booking,what you consider to be an upgrade.ha ha.imagine....

I've got a cabin on hold on a Princess cruise for next March. Where do you change to indicate no upgrade? We've picked a particular cabin.

If you booked online it was asked during the booking process.

Now you cannot access that info so.....

If not ask your TA to have Princess mark the booking accordingly or call Princess yourself if you booked direct.

If you booked online it was asked during the booking process.

No, it's not. That is a big problem with the direct online Princess booking. Nowhere does it ask if you want an upgrade or not. You MUST call them.