Book ahead or/ wait until onboard

atdahop

I always book as soon as possible because I know that fares can go up. The only benefit to booking onboard is the amount you pay as your deposit. Onboard, it'll be $100/pp and you'll get OBC whereas if you book now, you'll pay the regular deposit amount and unless there's a promotion, you won't get OBC.

No matter what, I strongly suggest getting FCCs during your cruise. That way, you can book whatever cruise you want whenever you want to and get the FCC OBC. I always have 2-3 FCCs in my Captain's Circle account. You have two years to use the FCC and if you don't, it'll be refunded. It's a win/win.

I am embarrassed to ask this...pam are you saying that if you book on board you get obc, whether you use an fcc or not?

"Onboard, it'll be $100/pp and you'll get OBC"

how much is the obc for booking on board?

and why didn't I know this sooner?!

I am embarrassed to ask this...pam are you saying that if you book on board you get obc, whether you use an fcc or not?

To my understanding, the OBC is the only difference. The lower deposit is fine, but you end up paying The full price in the end, so if it's a cruise you really want, but you don't have any outstanding FCC's, booking it anyway. :D

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California Coastal

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May, 2014, LA - Vancouver one way

Future & Hopeful Cruises

if I book on board with an fcc, do I get obc from the fcc plus obc for booking on board?

if you book onboard you will get OBC for the cruise you want but if you have another FCC in your account save that one for another day and buy some more at $100 pp

I am going on an October cruise but found another one that I want for April 2015. Should I book now or wait until I am onboard to book.....Is there any advantage to book onboard..

I consider myself a veteran Princess cruiser and every answer you've received has completely confused me. No doubt you're smarter than I am, but in case you're not, here's my "Answer for Dummies" to your question.

It depends. (What, you were expecting brilliant insight?!) Relevant considerations:

Is the April cruise a unique itinerary or if that particular one sells out, would you have other opportunities?

How particular are you regarding the specific cabin you get?

Is the cruise wide open now, fairly open, or lots of cabins are already sold?

Finally, how long is it and what cabin category (inside, ocv, balcony . . . )?

Basically, booking with an FCC that you've waited until October to buy means taking the chance on losing, in order of above questions, your chance at a one-off itinerary, your preferred cabin, or the cruise itself. That said, if you're looking at a shorter cruise in an inside/ocv, the onboard credit you'd get with an FCC maybe wouldn't add up to enough money to risk losing the cruise. Whereas a longer cruise in a balcony or minisuite might mean losing a couple hundred bucks.

Assuming it's not a unique, ultra-special, about-to-sell-out sailing, I think waiting until October is plenty of time but it's seldom I book anything more than six months out.

Edited by rdsqrl

I am going on an October cruise but found another one that I want for April 2015. Should I book now or wait until I am onboard to book.....Is there any advantage to book onboard..

Unless you want a particular cabin or cabin location that might be booked by the time that you sail in October, wait and book onboard.

There is no extra perk for booking onboard or post-cruise if you have a FCD. The FCD OBC for a 7 day cruise is $50pp. This is per person, so if both you and your companion use a FCD you will receive $100. OBC between you for that cruise.

While I have never booked onboard, I would expect that if you do so you will be issued an FCD which you can then use immediately and will receive the appropriate FCD OBC.

Finally, if you wait to book onboard, I suggest doing so very early in your October cruise. As the days pass, more and more people show up to chat/consult/book with the Future Cruise Consultant. Long wait times can ensue.

Since the OP knows what cruise he/she wants, there is no reason not to book while on board.

The OP asked a question, is there an advantage to book onboard?

No there is not.

We sometimes know what cruise we want as well, we book when we get home.

We only booked onboard one time. We were out of FCC's, and there was a sale going on while we were onboard. We bought several FCC's and used two of them to immediately to book the cruise which was automatically turned over to our travel agent.

if I book on board with an fcc, do I get obc from the fcc plus obc for booking on board?

I think Pam was assuming OP did not already have FCCs available for their booking. In that case, they would need to book on board to get the OBC associated with an FCC. It is equivalent to purchasing an FCC and then immediately applying it to the new booking.

Pam's assumption is likely correct based on the way the question was asked.

So, to directly answer your questions, no, you do not get two FCC OBCs for booking on board.

Regardless, if OP already has FCCs available, IMHO they should book NOW!

I think Pam was assuming OP did not already have FCCs available for their booking. In that case, they would need to book on board to get the OBC associated with an FCC. It is equivalent to purchasing an FCC and then immediately applying it to the new booking.

So, to directly answer your questions, no, you do not get two FCC OBCs for booking on board.

thank you for an answer that makes sense!

I always book as soon as possible because I know that fares can go up. The only benefit to booking onboard is the amount you pay as your deposit. Onboard, it'll be $100/pp and you'll get OBC whereas if you book now, you'll pay the regular deposit amount and unless there's a promotion, you won't get OBC.

No matter what, I strongly suggest getting FCCs during your cruise. That way, you can book whatever cruise you want whenever you want to and get the FCC OBC. I always have 2-3 FCCs in my Captain's Circle account. You have two years to use the FCC and if you don't, it'll be refunded. It's a win/win.

Book now! Prices could go up and the minimal OBC you get for booking onboard won't make up the difference.

Annie - someday I just have to sail with you!

Yes, This is exactly what I meant. I did not explain it properly. I do not have any FCC now so that if I wait to book unboard using a purchased FCC on the Oct cruise, I will get onboard credit otherwise I will not. Is this correct

Many thanks for the expert advice. I love this forum.

Yes, This is exactly what I meant. I did not explain it properly. I do not have any FCC now so that if I wait to book unboard using a purchased FCC on the Oct cruise, I will get onboard credit otherwise I will not. Is this correct

Many thanks for the expert advice. I love this forum.

100% correct.

In this case by booking onboard you will be able to get that OBC on the cruise you will be booking.