Ebola Threat

Responder

You may want to post this on your Roll Call so that people on your cruise can read it. It is unfortunate that one person entered Senegal with the disease but it is extremely good that he was "immediately placed into quarantine". As said previously, it sounds like Senegal is taking every precaution to prevent this from spreading into their country. I certainly understand concerns when traveling to cities/countries with problems but, IMO, Senegal appears safer than some ports in the Middle East. Try not to stress too much.

Edited by Travelcat2

You may want to post this on your Roll Call so that people on your cruise can read it. It is unfortunate that one person entered Senegal with the disease but it is extremely good that he was "immediately placed into quarantine". As said previously, it sounds like Senegal is taking every precaution to prevent this from spreading into their country. I certainly understand concerns when traveling to cities/countries with problems but, IMO, Senegal appears safer than some ports in the Middle East. Try not to stress too much.

It has been posted on the roll call and others feel the same as we do.

I don't think I'm smart enough to challenge the WHO or Doctors without Borders.

I think the only ones stressing at the moment would be the Regent folks.

As I noted in my post to Regent, I can't believe anyone signed up for this sailing because Senegal was one of the ports, but, different strokes for different folks.

We support a missionary in Senegal and I received an email from her today that Ebola is no in Senegal and they just have the first reported case in her village. BBC alson confirms first case. I believe it is the one referred above that has been quarantined.

We support a missionary in Senegal and I received an email from her today that Ebola is no in Senegal and they just have the first reported case in her village. BBC alson confirms first case. I believe it is the one referred above that has been quarantined.

I never cease to be amazed at how we can second guess major medical organizations like the WHO, Doctors Without Borders, etc.

Only the information that comes directly from the various government agencies has value. All the rest is conversation.

When I first began this thread, I was really interested in those who were on this sailing and hoped to get their feelings. On the Roll Call board, many of those did respond and were quite concerned.

Responder,

For the record my understanding is that much of the point of forums is discussion! Also for the record in no way did I second guess government authorities. The subject of the thread was Ebola and I just passed on the infomation which by the way I did see that BBC confirmed the information

What never ceases to amaze me is the inability to share information on CC without someone questioning your comments, criticizing your statements or otherwise feeling that their opinions are the ony ones of value. It does cause me to want to stop participating but I must always remember the 80/20 rule. 80% of the participants are so helpful and positive so I need to learn to ignore the 20% who are not. I'm only responding to your comment because I'm a little shocked at those who belittle people who are concerned about Ebola. When you personally know people who are serving others in harms way you tend to have a little more compassion I guess.

Responder,

For the record my understanding is that much of the point of forums is discussion! Also for the record in no way did I second guess government authorities. The subject of the thread was Ebola and I just passed on the infomation which by the way I did see that BBC confirmed the information

What never ceases to amaze me is the inability to share information on CC without someone questioning your comments, criticizing your statements or otherwise feeling that their opinions are the ony ones of value. It does cause me to want to stop participating but I must always remember the 80/20 rule. 80% of the participants are so helpful and positive so I need to learn to ignore the 20% who are not. I'm only responding to your comment because I'm a little shocked at those who belittle people who are concerned about Ebola. When you personally know people who are serving others in harms way you tend to have a little more compassion I guess.

Sorry if I've offended you in any way, but my only point was to try to reinforce the real threat of the virus so that perhaps Regent would take a long, hard look at the situation and not put business ahead of safety.

I do have compassion and do contribute and volunteer in many ways for those in need.

I know other posters keep telling us that Regent will do what is best for the passengers and ship, but some of us want to make them aware of how we who are on this sailing feel about it. I've been cruising for many, many years and can remember a number of scary situations where the cruise lines did not yield to the good and welfare of their passengers.

I know other posters keep telling us that Regent will do what is best for the passengers and ship, but some of us want to make them aware of how we who are on this sailing feel about it. I've been cruising for many, many years and can remember a number of scary situations where the cruise lines did not yield to the good and welfare of their passengers.

Perhaps it needs to be said again that Cruise Critic posters represent an estimated 5% of Regent cruisers. If you add up the number of posters on both the Roll Call thread and this thread, you would find far less than that. There are probably less than 10 people expressing concern about the port of Senegal. Apparently there is a email campaign to Regent in an attempt to influence Regent to not go to Senegal. Out of an estimated 700 passengers, have you thought of what impact 10 emails have on Regent decisions?

You feel that Regent is putting "business ahead of safety". This statement concerns me as I believe 100% that Regent would never do that. You posted that: "I've been cruising for many, many years and can remember a number of scary situations where the cruise lines did not yield to the good and welfare of their passengers". My question to you is whether or not anything significant happened when the cruise lines ignored the passengers and entered into the areas where there were "scary situations"?

On a personal level, I do feel that the threat in Senegal could be increasing and had an in depth discussion with my DH (who does not always agree with me) this evening. In your situation, he would not want to dock in Senegal nor would he be comfortable with other passengers visiting there and returning to the ship. If we were there I would have no hesitation to visit Senegal and would not feel threatened in any way. In lieu of mixed feelings, there is no choice other than to allow Regent to make the decision based on their information.

Edited by Travelcat2

Responder,

I'm so sorry for mis reading your intent of the comment. I honestly don't know how cruise companies such as Regent or any others make their decisions on changes to a cruise destination. The truth is that my comment was meant to reinforce the growing threat. It is such a fine line in not letting our fears and concerns keep us from enjoying many areas of the world where different threats arise and being prudent and protecting ourselves and spouses from unneeded risk.

As to my oversensitivity to your comment again I'm sorry. Not an excuse but possibly a reason, I did have spinal injections for 3 bulging disks earlier today with heavy medication. They said the meds may cause mood swings. That's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL

I have read the posts on Cruise Critic but have not entered the fray until now. We canceled our excursion into Dakar and will remain on the ship (Mariner). Most of our cruising has been on Seabourn but our friends have always been delighted with Regent and we are confident that they will do what they think is best for their clients. Those who go ashore, I guess, are braver than we are. Obviously, there is the possibility that one may bring something back when returning to the ship. The latest reports, (yesterday) are pretty scary. They said on TV that it will get much worse before it gets better. I would be happier if Regent didn't stop in Dakar, however, it's not my decision. I do think, however, that input from their passengers is important and I indicated the reason for my canceling the excursion when I called. I'm not a "the sky is falling" kind of a person but this is serious stuff. We will be at sea for some time after Dakar...in close quarters and I hate to think that something could spread on a ship, in the middle of the Atlantic. I think that those who are concerned have a legitimate right to contact Regent and let them know of their concerns.

Sweat is also a body fluid that is a contagion for Ebola. One of the early symptoms of Ebola is fever and sweating while the infected individual is still mobile they can pass the contagion to any non-porous surface. Note that the USA Basketball team cancelled there trip to Senegal in late August. They sweat a lot! This is a very serious virus.

My friend and I also booked this cruise. While we have no intention of canceling and we have faith in the current owners of Regent, we are still concerned and will carefully monitor conditions in Senegal. We think it's wise to be cautious.

First, welcome to the Regent board. I think you will have a wonderful time on your Mariner cruise. It is good to see a voice of reason regarding this subject. There is no way that Regent has ever put their customer in harms way:)

First, welcome to the Regent board. I think you will have a wonderful time on your Mariner cruise. It is good to see a voice of reason regarding this subject. There is no way that Regent has ever put their customer in harms way:)

By not cancelling the stop in Dakar, they will certainly put an entire ship in harm's way.

Just to reiterate, my original post simply asked if anyone on this sailing had concerns.

I suppose that request was too difficult to comprehend..

By not cancelling the stop in Dakar, they will certainly put an entire ship in harm's way.

Just to reiterate, my original post simply asked if anyone on this sailing had concerns.

I suppose that request was too difficult to comprehend..

I do recall your original post. Since you have an very active Roll Call, I suggested that you post your concerns there since it seemed that you only wanted to hear from "anyone on this sailing". Posting on the regular board will prompt responses from everyone (including me)

I never cease to be amazed at how we can second guess major medical organizations like the WHO, Doctors Without Borders, etc.

Only the information that comes directly from the various government agencies has value. All the rest is conversation.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has not issued a Travel Health Notice for Senegal. The CDC has issued Level Three Travel Health Notices (avoid nonessential travel) for Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Liberia due the prevalence of Ebola, and a Level Two Travel Health Notice (practice enhanced precautions) for Nigeria. See the full text at this site: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices

The US Department of State Travel Alert Potential Implications for Travel Because of Ebola in Parts of West Africa was last updated on August 28 and does not mention Senegal. The text is here: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/ebola-west-africa.html

Doctors Without Borders is a non-governmental organization.

I am not booked on this cruise but on one with Fred Olsen in December which is also due to visit Dakar and a couple of Cape Verde ports shortly after that. The relevant point is that because of Ebola, Cape Verde will not now allow non Cape Verde Nationals who have been to specific West African Countries within the previous 30 days to enter their territory. This was brought in Last week and Senegal appears to be included in those countries. Hence it looks as though there be a change to our cruise schedule.

This requirement, is mentioned in our British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) site (under Cape Verde) and will presumably be mentioned in an equivalent US government site. It seems Cape Verde are subjecting their own citizens to a time in quarantine, so they are really working at preventing the virus becoming a problem in the population there. I think I saw that the Regent Cruise is also scheduled to go into a Cape Verde port.

Our FCO are also only advising against non essential travel to countires where the virus is a problem, but that advice does not include Senegal. As I understand it one person from Guinea walked into a Dakar hospital on 29th August and was imediately quarantined because he was infected with Ebola. I assume he must have been in very early stages to have walked into the hospital, so chances are no one else may be infected, but time will tell.

Edited by tring

Sorry but that link did not work for me. Why not cut and paste it to your response.

Jerry

Jerry...for whatever reason, on Cruise Critic, if a link doesn't open directly, right click on it...open it in new tab or window, and you should be able to open it from there.

If that doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll post the entire report here.