Ebola Threat

Responder

WE would love to have you join us on the Lisbon to Miami leg of this cruise. I believe there are still some cabins available.

See aboard.... Jerry

Would love to join you, all I need is a sponsor ;)

What if I would wear a t-shirt stating 'Jerry' on the front :)

No one here has taken into account the fact that the ship may need Dakar as a refueling and supply station before she crosses the Atlantic! That puts an entirely different spin on whether we go there or can refuel elsewhere before we cross. Interesting what will happen. Linda and Larry in NJ

No one here has taken into account the fact that the ship may need Dakar as a refueling and supply station before she crosses the Atlantic! That puts an entirely different spin on whether we go there or can refuel elsewhere before we cross. Interesting what will happen. Linda and Larry in NJ

You are right -- it is a refueling station -- lots of freight ships currently there. This website shows you positions, etc. http://www.fleetmon.com/en/ports/Dakar_7977

The site is interesting. On another page they show a "rescue vessel" for the QM2 along with a passenger ship, luxury ship, fishing boats and cargo ship in port.

Edited by Travelcat2

Agree with your well thought-out posts. It seems that a handful of passengers on this cruise have complained (less than the 5% that usually post on the CC board). It sounds as if these passengers have made their feelings known repeatedly. Assuming there are others who may have contacted Regent from this cruise, it would still not be a high number.

Due to the issue in Cape Verde, the itinerary may in fact be changed -- not because of the few people that are concerned about a remote possibility but because of restrictions placed upon visitors to Senegal.

Regent has made several port changes in the past -- not because they were nagged or harassed to do so -- simply because it was necessary and in the best interest of the passengers for the circumstances present at the time. If we could not trust Regent to make these type of decisions for us, we would not be sailing on Regent.

Trust Regent to make decisions for us???

So what you just said was that Regent only responds to the masses.

That said, since you have sailed numerous times with Regent and have for years posted about all the times you(singular) have contacted them both on and off the ship to correct deficiencies that affected you, maybe we should get to participate in the process of contacting them in the same fashion.

You made this statement...

"Regent has made several port changes in the past -- not because they were nagged or harassed to do so -- simply because it was necessary and in the best interest of the passengers for the circumstances present at the time."

Do you know this for a fact and if so, please reveal your sources.

Trust Regent to make decisions for us???

So what you just said was that Regent only responds to the masses.

That said, since you have sailed numerous times with Regent and have for years posted about all the times you(singular) have contacted them both on and off the ship to correct deficiencies that affected you, maybe we should get to participate in the process of contacting them in the same fashion.

You made this statement...

"Regent has made several port changes in the past -- not because they were nagged or harassed to do so -- simply because it was necessary and in the best interest of the passengers for the circumstances present at the time."

Do you know this for a fact and if so, please reveal your sources.

Firstly, people on your Roll call posted that Regent did respond to them (at least once) From what I read on that board, it sounds like someone wanted to contact the local newspaper about the issue. IMO, the only purpose I could think of for contracting the media would be to embarrass or harass Regent.

It is difficult to respond to your post as there are multiple subjects. Yes -- people contact management on board or after the cruise to discuss issues they are experiencing. All of my communication after a cruise is to compliment a number of people that made our Regent experience positive. I did this quite a bit when Mark Conroy was president and have written to FDR as well. Never once has it been to criticize.

In terms of contacting officers onboard to correct "deficiencies", I recommend that all passengers do this so that the issue can be dealt with while they are still onboard. I make the comment once and expect a follow-up. I do not contact them repeatedly.

I contacted Regent once before a cruise regarding excursions when a port when suddenly dropped (Ashdod, Israel after a missile landed in the waters offshore). They were able to solve some of my issues - the rest were handled onboard. Not sure what this has to do with Dakar but I have responded anyway.

If I were on your cruise and was concerned about a port, I might contact Regent. If I was given the information that people on your Roll Call were given, it would be the end of the story. I do trust Regent to make the right decisions. I might ask a question on Roll Call to see if any other passengers were concerned and we would probably discuss it. I doubt if I would be on the main Regent board discussing it since most people do not have a vested interest in that particular cruise. And, I would definitely not contact the media and hope that no one on your Roll Call has done so.

Perhaps I should rephrase a prior post. When I said " In a way I understand your feelings but Regent is not going to react to a handful of people complaining about docking in Dakar", I should have said that I do not think Regent is going to react to passengers complaining about docking in Dakar". The basis for my opinion is that, in all of the years I've been posting on and reading the Regent board, I do not recall a time when a group of people were concerned about a port that Regent was going to, started a thread about then Regent dropped the port. Their decisions seem to be based on factual information that they receive.

I do understand being concerned about ports. I was concerned when we went through the Gulf of Aden with special forces on board to keep watch. We were not feeling all that safe when we were in Israel less than a week after they closed Ashdod.

IMO, the Ebola crisis is real and frightening. However, ships and planes continue going into and out of Dakar (as of today). Would this be happening if people who are visiting Dakar would leave and spread Ebola to places around the world?

There really is little else to say. Either Regent will or will not go there -- depending upon the reports they receive and the issue with Cape Verde. All of us put our lives into Regent's hands every time we sail. If we do not trust their decisions, we should not be on their ships (obviously this is my opinion).

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat2, I noticed that you have traveled on the 3 Regent ships. I have only been on the Mariner and have been hesitant to try the other 2 (Navigator and Voyager) with out a recommendation from some one who has cruised on them. How would you rate them compared to the Mariner. I am looking at possibly South America next.

Thanks for your help.... Jerry

Jerry, a better place to put your question would be on the main board. I am sure that TC would see it and respond to it. That way you would get multiple viewpoints to consider.

On the matter of the Ebola problem I, for one, think it is great that Cruise Critic has provided a place where people can openly express their thoughts and concerns. Just putting fears out in the open is helpful and if Regent sees it and ponders it that is just an extra plus.

Aloha All,

At this point, if I had serious misgivings about my personal safety and did not want to take the cruise if it is going to make the stop in Senegal, I would either personally contact Regent or have my TA do so and ask them to transfer my payment to a different itinerary.

If Regent did not respond to this, perhaps I would get my credit card company involved by calling them and explaining the fact that I feel that due to Regent's decision to call at the port in Senegal, it would not be safe for me to take the cruise. Then, I could try to dispute the cc charge and ask them to intervene with Regent.

These are the only actions that I can see that an individual could take to put themselves out of harm's way if they feel the risk to be too great.

Unless the State Dept and/or the CDC issued warnings, I would most likely make the journey, but having lived in developing areas of the world for part of my life, I am probably less risk averse than most.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Edited by HanaleiSailor
typo

Thanks for the suggestion. What do you mean when you say "TC will see it",

who is TC.

Question: Do you think that Regent follows the CC Message Boards?

Jerry

Hi, I'm TC2 (aka Travelcat2) - think she is referring to me. This is the Regent board but the thread is Ebola. I understand that you are interested in feedback on the Voyager and Navigator. Suggest you start a thread .... something like "Differences between Mariner, Voyager and Navigator". I'm sure you will get some good responses (including mine) :)

Jerry, I am sorry about my shorthand. TC stands for Travelcat2. I was just being lazy.

As to your second question, I do think that Regent checks into CC at times because they have posted responses to some threads. However this is a very busy time for them with the acquisition by NCL so I am not sure that executives will be reading CC just now. You never know.

Firstly, people on your Roll call posted that Regent did respond to them (at least once) From what I read on that board, it sounds like someone wanted to contact the local newspaper about the issue. IMO, the only purpose I could think of for contracting the media would be to embarrass or harass Regent.

I fail to understand your statement.

If not for the media, many issues with products, corruption, would not be brought to light.

How in the world could Regent be embarassed or harassed by having the media publish the feelings of those who are concerned about this or any sailing?

If I thought contacting the media would cause them to consider what some of the passengers are concerned about, I would do so.

In fact, it's not a bad idea...let's see what happens...but don't send me to the principal's office..

Aloha All,

Unless the State Dept and/or the CDC issued warnings, I would most likely make the journey, but having lived in developing areas of the world for part of my life, I am probably less risk averse than most.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Great post! My point is that neither the State Dept. or the CDC have issued warnings.

Responder: I give up. If you go forward in terms of getting the media involved, you will put up with the consequences -- not me.

Edited by Travelcat2

I fail to understand your statement.

If not for the media, many issues with products, corruption, would not be brought to light.

How in the world could Regent be embarassed or harassed by having the media publish the feelings of those who are concerned about this or any sailing?

If I thought contacting the media would cause them to consider what some of the passengers are concerned about, I would do so.

In fact, it's not a bad idea...let's see what happens...but don't send me to the principal's office..

Responder: I think you are absolutely correct in that having the media expose certain actions of a Corporation sometimes forces the company to do the right thing. However, this is usually brought about by creating a strong public backlash towards the corporation. In this case, I just don't see how much sympathy one can expect from the general public. Remember, we are talking about a $1000 per night cruise, something at least 80 or 90% of the US population cannot really relate to.

Even when the national media covered the Silverseas food sanitation fiasco, the story came and went very quickly, and even on Cruise Cruise it is never mentioned anymore. I personally did not see a great public outcry to the Silverseas story, and I would guess that reaction to a story about whether or not Regent docks in Senegal would be similar. I just don't think it's worth your time to make the effort with the media.

I hope that things turn out well for you and that you will get to enjoy a great cruise.

Aloha,

Mark

I hope that none of the passengers or crew get Ebola should the cruise ship dock at Dakar.

Should they dock and someone gets Ebola, I can imagine the media circus that would cause and then the law suits!!! WOW.

That's what Regent should be concerned about. Flip a coin...Yes...No, Is it worth it?

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry1934

Responder: I think you are absolutely correct in that having the media expose certain actions of a Corporation sometimes forces the company to do the right thing. However, this is usually brought about by creating a strong public backlash towards the corporation. In this case, I just don't see how much sympathy one can expect from the general public. Remember, we are talking about a $1000 per night cruise, something at least 80 or 90% of the US population cannot really relate to.

Even when the national media covered the Silverseas food sanitation fiasco, the story came and went very quickly, and even on Cruise Cruise it is never mentioned anymore. I personally did not see a great public outcry to the Silverseas story, and I would guess that reaction to a story about whether or not Regent docks in Senegal would be similar. I just don't think it's worth your time to make the effort with the media.

I hope that things turn out well for you and that you will get to enjoy a great cruise.

Aloha,

Mark

You are correct in stating that there might not be much public backlash as with Silversea, but don't you think the comparison of announcing a sanitation issue is a far cry from an issue such as the possibility of a ship full of passengers and crew coming in contact with an Ebola epidemic?

With respect to TC telling me if I go to the media, I will put up with the consequences, not her, it almost sounds like a threat.

What could the consequences possibly be?....Will I go to prison or be executed ? Maybe I'll find a get out of jail card somewhere.

This is what I am reading........Isn't this considered the media?

==============

Cape Verde Ebola prevention sees ban on Senegal arrivals

by TPN/ Lusa, in World · 01-09-2014 21:05:00 ·

Cape Verde has banned any non-resident foreign nationals from entering the country if they have been in Senegal over the last thirty days, the country’s Minister of Health Cristina Fontes Lima told a press conference Monday.

The measure in particular would impact on flights making stopovers in Senegal where the World Health Organisation recently confirmed a first case of Ebola.

"Non-resident foreign crews on regular flights and ship movements who, in the last 30 days have been in Senegal will not be able to enter the national territory and subject to full compliance with the directives handed down by the sanitary, aeronautical and maritime authorities," explained Lima.

The minister also used the occasion to confirm that all Cape Verdeans citizens and residents would be subject to 30 days of sanitation control measures after having spent time in any country registering cases of ebola: Senegal, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea Conakry, Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

I hope that none of the passengers or crew get Ebola should the cruise ship dock at Dakar.

Should they dock and someone gets Ebola, I can imagine the media circus that would cause and then the law suits!!! WOW.

That's what Regent should be concerned about. Flip a coin...Yes...No, Is it worth it?

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Jerry

Jerry, While I certainly do not want anyone to contract Ebola, do you really feel that Regent docking in Dakar is more of a risk than what is going on already -- on a daily basis? KLM, Air France, Turkish Airlines, United, Lufthansa, Delta and Air Canada area currently fly into and out of Dakar. I went into the Yapta.com website and did a search for October 20th -- Vancouver (YVR) to Dakar (DKR). The results included airlines posted.

Can you imagine the possibility to spread Ebola with the number of passengers flying into and out of Dakar every day? I am truly not trying to cause further concern. Rather, I am trying to calm fears so that everyone on your cruise can look forward to it rather than fear it. For those who need to continue worrying about it, perhaps they should worry about the airlines and ships that continue to enter Senegal (several thousands of people) in addition to worrying about Regent's passengers and crew visiting places for a few hours.

Just think for a minute..... is it possible that the fear has been blown out of proportion? You don't need to answer this question on the CC board -- just think about it.

Edited by Travelcat2

Responder writes: This is what I am reading........Isn't this considered the media? (see article below)

Of course this is media, and it is good information. Perhaps it is now time to either call Regent once again or have your TA do so in order to ask them what they intend to do in light of this new information from Cape Verde. Obviously, they are going to have to make a change in the current itinerary. Regent may have not made all the arrangements yet, but you could ask them to inform you or your TA as soon as possible.

This to me would make a lot more sense than trying to contact the national media and to try to get them involved in your situation. I also agree with you that I do not understand what consequences might have been inferred in the previous message. It is easy to see that you simply want to remain safe; I have to believe that Regent wants its crew and passengers to remain safe as well. And in light of the Cape Verde situation, it is most likely just a matter of time before something is announced. They really have no other choice.

==============

by TPN/ Lusa, in World · 01-09-2014 21:05:00 ·

Cape Verde has banned any non-resident foreign nationals from entering the country if they have been in Senegal over the last thirty days, the country’s Minister of Health . . .

The measure in particular would impact on flights making stopovers in Senegal where the World Health Organisation recently confirmed a first case of Ebola.

"Non-resident foreign crews on regular flights and ship movements who, in the last 30 days have been in Senegal will not be able to enter the national territory and subject to full compliance with the directives handed down by the sanitary, aeronautical and maritime authorities," explained Lima.

The minister also used the occasion to confirm that all Cape Verdeans citizens and residents would be subject to 30 days of sanitation control measures after having spent time in any country registering cases of ebola: Senegal, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea Conakry, Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Edited by HanaleiSailor

Was posting the same time as you were. You may want to read post #93. The facts, IMO, should either make people panic completely or realize that Regent docking in Senegal is not a big deal.

HanaleiSailor - Regent attorneys read CC and do not take well to threats or intentionally putting Regent in a bad light - particularly when it is unfounded. Negative publicity and threats could cause Regent to lose customers. Something to think about. This is all I will say on the subject.

In terms of CC being media. Yes -- it can be construed to be. It is definitely a public forum. However, if 5% of Regent passengers read CC, it is nothing compared to people that would read the newspapers that passengers on this cruise have threatened on Roll Call.

The bottom line is that this concern, IMO, has been blown out of proportion. People are so concerned - they really think that someone will walk onboard the Mariner after visiting Senegal and they will catch Ebola. This fear has become real to some people.

My posts on this thread are not meant to threaten anyone -- it is simply to provide facts in the hopes that people on this cruise can look at, as Regent is no doubt doing, and take a wait and see approach to this. Whether Regent docks in Dakar or cancels the port, everything will be okay.

Edited by Travelcat2

Aloha all,

As I posted above, I still believe if a passenger feels that they will be in harm's way if they take this cruise with an unchanged itinerary, they should simply contact Regent and try to have their payment moved to a different itinerary. In this way, the situation is handled directly between the passenger and Regent without more undo gnashing of teeth here on the cruise critic boards.

TC writes: Regent attorneys read CC and do not take well to threats or intentionally putting Regent in a bad light - particularly when it is unfounded. Negative publicity and threats could cause Regent to lose customers. Something to think about. This is all I will say on the subject.

If Regent is really paying corporate attorneys to read all of these postings on cruise critic looking for actionable libel, they are charging me far too much for my cruise. Perhaps this will be the first place that NCL bean counters will be able to find some savings! :)

Aloha, Mark

Was posting the same time as you were. You may want to read post #93. The facts, IMO, should either make people panic completely or realize that Regent docking in Senegal is not a big deal.

HanaleiSailor - Regent attorneys read CC and do not take well to threats or intentionally putting Regent in a bad light - particularly when it is unfounded. Negative publicity and threats could cause Regent to lose customers. Something to think about. This is all I will say on the subject.

In terms of CC being media. Yes -- it can be construed to be. It is definitely a public forum. However, if 5% of Regent passengers read CC, it is nothing compared to people that would read the newspapers that passengers on this cruise have threatened on Roll Call.

The bottom line is that this concern, IMO, has been blown out of proportion. People are so concerned - they really think that someone will walk onboard the Mariner after visiting Senegal and they will catch Ebola. This fear has become real to some people.

My posts on this thread are not meant to threaten anyone -- it is simply to provide facts in the hopes that people on this cruise can look at, as Regent is no doubt doing, and take a wait and see approach to this. Whether Regent docks in Dakar or cancels the port, everything will be okay.

So you're now saying that if someone publicly questions the idea of Regent docking in Dakar, the the Regent attorneys who read CC will be upset and if Regent loses customers as a result, will sue them. Please name one threat or comment suggested that will put Regent in a bad light.

You sure do have a vivid imagination as well as a full blown case of paranoia.

I personally thank you for your comforting thoughts that everything will be okay. What are these facts you say you are providing?

As HanaleiSailor said, Regent customers spend $800-1000 day to sail, so allow us the luxury of expressing ourselves without implied threats for doing so.