Ebola Threat

Responder

Responder,

Since many on your cruise will be attending the bridge lectures, do you think it would help if Larry Cohen were to contact Regent and express the reservations your group has about stopping in Senegal? Larry books so many Regent cruise I would think he would have some leverage in this situation.

I know it might be difficult, but why not just read the excellent post made by pingpong1 and just let it go?

You can only speak for yourself and once you expressed that, where is there to go?

You cannot possibly understand the feelings of others, in this case those on this particular cruise.

Obviously neither you nor I can "just let it go". This story is evolving and will continue to be discussed as new information is released. Ebola is a huge story and is of interest to many - not only people on this particular cruise. With people flying into and out of Senegal on a daily basis, any of us could board a plane that has recently landed in Senegal and taken on passengers there. Please do not think that this only affects people on your cruise. Everyone's opinion should be welcome on this board.

Since many on your cruise will be attending the bridge lectures, do you think it would help if Larry Cohen were to contact Regent and express the reservations your group has about stopping in Senegal? Larry books so many Regent cruise I would think he would have some leverage in this situation

Good idea Journeyfan.

I just sent the Email below to Larry Cohen's administrator.

"Hi Dawn, we are booked on the October 13 Lisbon to Miami cruise with Larry. There has been a lot of concern about the Ebola problem in West Africa and as you know one of our ports is Dakar in Senegal. We were wondering if Larry has contacted Alice Travel or Regent to find out what the plan is to changing the itinerary if any. There has been a lot of discussion and concern about this frightening disease on the Cruise Critic message board. If you haven't been following it, here is a link. It would be great if Larry could get some sort of official response from Regent, the only response we get is that "they will do the best thing for the safety of the passengers". We don't know what that is. Thanks for your help."

Ebola Threat - Page 9 - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Maybe Larry can get an answer.

Jerry

Thankfully the news for Senegal has not changed. Not sure why Regent is being beat up more than a month before the scheduled port visit (actually I believe that this thread started at least 2-3 weeks ago). Regent management is aware of the situation (as has been communicated to people that have called and/or emailed Regent).

It seems that the people that post on this thread are worried about the port (understandably so) but have no concern about hundreds of people going into and out of Senegal weekly via airplane. Since major airlines and cargo ships have made the decision to continue flights, it is likely that Regent would keep their schedule. However, the Cape Verde issue could be the reason it changes.

I believe the CDC and WHO reports and they are very specific about "three countries" that does not include Senegal. I am sure that we will all continue to follow the stories. If a decision has not been made by the time we board the Mariner, I'll see what the general feeling of the crew is and ask the G.M. if he is aware of port changes.

You are not sure why people have "beat up" on Regent? I think the posts are quite clear that people paying big bucks for a vacation want to know what Regent is actually doing and when a decision will be made. Do Regent's customers have no right to expect ongoing communications about a potentially serious health threat on their upcoming cruise? Regent has not been forthcoming about anything. Platitudes about Regent doing the right thing or Regent won't put passengers at risk don't make up for an actual plan. How difficult can it be for Regent to inform passengers? What company worth its salt is going to let this kind of thing fester in today's world of instant communication?

Indeed the risk of getting ebola from a stop in Dakkar must be very small at this time. That still doesn't mean that passengers on a vacation want to take the risk. The repetitious comments about flights and ships going in and out of Senegal as proof of the safety of going to Senegal a month from now doesn't address the concerns that are being expressed here. By the time flights are shut down, the risk of transmission has to be signifiant. And the risk didn't become significant the day the flights were shut down, it became significant sometime before that. (WHO in their statement are not fans of travel bans. They are called ineffective and needlessly disruptive.)

If you read the WHO comments they are not encouraging in the long run. They essentially say that the border is porous and the risk of similar imported cases is high.

Also, can you imagine what the cruise will be like in the days leading up to a stop in Senegal, I can just hear the conversations around the bar and other venues about about whether one should take an excursion or not or whether the ship should bypass the port. Who needs this on a vacation?

A lot of anxiety is about the unknown and this is one of those situations where there is the unknown in Senegal and Regent contributes to this by being part of the unknown. If they have a credible process in place for evaluating risk and making decisions, then get that info out so passengers can decide what to do.

When the lack of communication from Regent leads to customers offering to help out other customers by finding out what they can from crew and passengers on a ship, I'd say that makes the case for why people are "beating up" on Regent.

Responder,

Since many on your cruise will be attending the bridge lectures, do you think it would help if Larry Cohen were to contact Regent and express the reservations your group has about stopping in Senegal? Larry books so many Regent cruise I would think he would have some leverage in this situation.

You bet...

Great idea....thanks..

Ebola is a huge story and is of interest to many - not only people on this particular cruise. With people flying into and out of Senegal on a daily basis, any of us could board a plane that has recently landed in Senegal and taken on passengers there. Please do not think that this only affects people on your cruise. Everyone's opinion should be welcome on this board.

I'm sorry, Travelcat2, I don't agree with you. This is a Cruise Critic message board and the discussion should revolve around cruises. I'm sure that there are other blogs that deal with other forms of travel.

Jerry

Responder,

I just heard back from Larry.

He said he is on top of it and is trying to help.

He and Maria do not intend to get off the ship there.

I'm sorry, Travelcat2, I don't agree with you. This is a Cruise Critic message board and the discussion should revolve around cruises. I'm sure that there are other blogs that deal with other forms of travel.

Jerry

Have to disagree. We are all going on airplanes to and from our cruises in the next couple of months (we are cruising in both October and November). I wonder how many people on your cruise will be flying KLM, Air France, Turkish Airlines, Lufthansa, Delta or Air Canada to Lisbon? These are some of the airlines currently flying to Dakar. I know that Regent is contracted with at least three of these airlines. If you believe that you are at risk stopping in Dakar, do you not believe that people flying out of Dakar present no risk? Without airlines, I don't think there would be very many people on our cruises.

Edited by Travelcat2

You can only speak for yourself and once you expressed that, where is there to go?

Responder,

You just don’t get it.

She obviously believes that if you thought it was a dumb comment the first time you read it, you will have a religious conversion & see the light the 10th time you read the same thing.

Posting to correct second to last sentence: "If you believe that you are at risk stopping in Dakar, do you not believe that people flying out of Dakar present no risk?"

It should have read If you believe that you are at risk stopping in Dakar, do you believe that people flying into or out of Dakar present no risk?

Travelcat2, actually I am flying out of Miami to Lisbon. It is too far to swim!

If I have concerns about the flight I will address them on the blog for TAP air lines. Why are you so intense about people flying in and out of Dakar? Senegal should be the one concerned about the people transiting their airport.

I'm concerned about our ship docking at that port but not only the people accessing the ship (on and off) but the goods and services that would be schedule to be delivered to the ship. I don't expect to leave the ship if we do dock there.

Jerry

I want to express a special thanks to PingPong1 and Crusing the C's for their comments about Regent's shortcomings in this particular situation. I am disappointed in my favorite cruise line. I had expected more from them in terms of communication and support. If this is unrealistic so be it.

Thanks also to Responder and Jerry 1934 for contacting Larry Cohen. I was going to suggest that several days ago but never got around to it.

Edited by Eager2Travel

Travelcat2, actually I am flying out of Miami to Lisbon. It is too far to swim!

If I have concerns about the flight I will address them on the blog for TAP air lines. Why are you so intense about people flying in and out of Dakar? Senegal should be the one concerned about the people transiting their airport.

I'm concerned about our ship docking at that port but not only the people accessing the ship (on and off) but the goods and services that would be schedule to be delivered to the ship. I don't expect to leave the ship if we do dock there.

Jerry

You are making my point in a small way. You are concerned about people that will be "accessing the ship (on and off)" and the goods they are scheduled to deliver to the ship. These same people (in Senegal) are receiving goods from cargo ships every day and are boarding these ships that are destined to deliver goods to other ports that Regent may be visiting. A ship that left Dakar a week before your cruise could be delivering food to Lisbon and/or Lanzarote that could end up on a Regent ship. Wouldn't the risk be the same for the people that work on the cargo ships and go ashore in Dakar as Regent passengers? Workers on the cargo ship that could be delivering food to one of Regent's ports worked next to residents of Senegal. Workers from Senegal could be working on some of the cargo ships.

Perhaps someone on your airplane is on their way back to Senegal and the plane had a stop in Lisbon on the way.

The example of a cargo ship from Senegal loading food on to a Regent ship is unlikely as is the scenario I presented about someone from Senegal being on your airplane. However, is it any more farfetched than a Regent passenger or crew member catching Ebola from a country where it does not exist? Note: this will not be a fact until September 20th. By the time you reach Senegal on October 21st (if it is not cancelled), there should have been no cases of Ebola for 1 month (and the one case they had was from another country and apparently has been contained).

When you ask me to stick to cruising (which I believe I am doing -- like you said, you cannot swim to Lisbon), should the Ebola reports posted on this thread only be posted if they specifically relate to Senegal or Dakar since Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone have nothing to do with cruising? IMO, this a large picture that encompasses everything that is being discussed.

Edited by Travelcat2

Those are all good points but they do not reduce my concern do they, but I am booked on this cruise and you are not.

Jerry

The ever expansive arguments about airplanes, other ships, food delivery in other ports, and who knows what next are simply detours away from the concern here about one specific cruise and Regent's failure to communicate with passengers. "What if" and responses to the "what if" are an easy way to divert from the main concern.

Given the posts here and the inquiries directly with Regent, they obviously know of passengers concerns. Regent is not addressing its customers' concerns in the face of a serious situation and all the "what ifs" in the world doesn't change that fact.

The ever expansive arguments about airplanes, other ships, food delivery in other ports, and who knows what next are simply detours away from the concern here about one specific cruise and Regent's failure to communicate with passengers. "What if" and responses to the "what if" are an easy way to divert from the main concern.

Given the posts here and the inquiries directly with Regent, they obviously know of passengers concerns. Regent is not addressing its customers' concerns in the face of a serious situation and all the "what ifs" in the world doesn't change that fact.

IMO, the serious concern is whether there is any threat whatsoever in Senegal. If the World Health Organization and other government organizations are following the news (they no doubt are), they could be waiting to see if Senegal remains Ebola free (as of 10/20/2014) and remains so.

"What if" is not a diversion -- it is, in a way, expanding the level of concern beyond one cruise.

Responder,

You just don’t get it.

She obviously believes that if you thought it was a dumb comment the first time you read it, you will have a religious conversion & see the light the 10th time you read the same thing.

You are correct. There seems to be no way to stop her.

It's possible that she posts to attain a higher ranking in numbers of posts.

Why else would someone be so repetitive in postings that don't even relate to them?

Just as with term limits in Government, I believe there should be posting limits in CC.. :rolleyes:

Responder,

You just don’t get it.

Certainly not a "religious conversion". It is possible, however, that posters will see what the U.S. Government and the World Health Organization sees. If you would like to see an over the top headline (religion based), check this out http://www.catholic.org/news/international/africa/story.php?id=56744&wf=rsscol

On this thread, both Responder and myself have debated this issue. Therefore, there are numerous posts that support our different positions. When you debate an issue, this is what happens.

Certainly not a "religious conversion". It is possible, however, that posters will see what the U.S. Government and the World Health Organization sees. If you would like to see an over the top headline (religion based), check this out http://www.catholic.org/news/international/africa/story.php?id=56744&wf=rsscol

On this thread, both Responder and myself have debated this issue. Therefore, there are numerous posts that support our different positions. When you debate an issue, this is what happens.

What was new and revealing in the religion based site you referenced?

Nothing new...all it did was eat up more bandwidth on the internet.

What was new and revealing in the religion based site you referenced?

Nothing new...all it did was eat up more bandwidth on the internet.

Senegal is "ravaged" by Ebola? Give me a break! It is amazing how many untrue things can be found on the internet. And, did my post take up more bandwidth than yours? We see this issue differently. There is nothing wrong with that and I truly believe that people can debate an issue without belittling the other one. I certainly do not belittle you - despite the fact that we do not agree. Let's try to stick to facts. It seems that the only person that is counting my posts is you. I pay no attention to them whatsoever.

Edited by Travelcat2

I, for one, have no idea what the "issue" is that you feel you are debating with Responder. You keep bringing up the WHO position (I posted their latest statement yesterday) but for what purpose? Everyone on the board is surely aware of it and I don't see anyone disagreeing with it. But it doesn't say that people should go to Senegal for a vacation if they don't want to deal with the uncertainty of where ebola is going to spread in the next few weeks.

Then up comes a host of extraneous things such as a headline from a newspaper, a focus on air travel, etc., etc. The thrusts here and there remind me of a bowl of jello. But the diversions sure do appear to try to take the focus off Regent's failure to communicate with passengers.